Read Messages

Re: Carving Small Details
Board: Stamp Carving and Mounting
Reply to: #619571 by Oberon_Kenobi
Jul 8, 2011 4:28am
Thread Board
Maybe this will help.

Medic

PS...since creating that post, he has added a mini steadler and a reverse steadler, both available at Stampeaze.
Re: i am BRAND new...question?
Board: Region: Midwest
Reply to: #619574 by System
Jul 8, 2011 4:54am
Thread Board
You of course don't have to take a hitchhiker just because it is in the letterbox.

If you do you are agreeing to leave it in another letterbox. When you get to the other letterbox, you stamp the hh into that boxes logbook. You also stamp the box stamp into the hh logbook.

They are supposed to be small so they can fit into other boxes. Taking a large one can be a challenge to leave somewhere else as a result of the size. It shouldn't be left in a box that it doesn't really fit in the first place.
Jul 8, 2011 5:00am
Thread Board
Hi, You are close to me. I'm sending you an AQ mail with some info.
Welcome!
roly-polies
Re: length
Board: Traditional Letterboxes
Reply to: #619198 by musicnote101
Jul 8, 2011 5:00am
Thread Board
I guess it depends on where you're planting. I have a series of 5 boxes planted on a one-mile loop in a park. The loop takes you into a wooded area where the trails twist and turn and criss cross so much you feel like you're in a maze. Planting 5 boxes there works.

But I also have a series of 16 boxes spread across 17 miles of trail. It's a "Rails to Trails" trail that's heavily traveled. The boxes had to be spread out in order to find really good hiding places.

I've found a 10 box series on a 6 mile trail and a 20 box series on a one mile loop. To me, it all depends on the terrain and the series.

Florida Sunsets
Re: A sign you Tweet too much.
Board: Funny Pages
Reply to: #619528 by speedsquare
Jul 8, 2011 5:22am
Thread Board
I'd have to agree with you there, speedsquare! After reading the entire article, I'm not sure I can buy the amnesia defense either. Hopefully this student DID learn a lesson. Yikes. Scary stuff!

ASL Girl
Purchasing a bike for letterboxing
Board: Yakking It Up
Jul 8, 2011 6:04am
Thread Board
Does anyone have any experience with bikes and letterboxing? I'd like to buy a bike but I'm not sure which type would be the best. My first guess is a mountain bike for hitting trails but I don't want to limit myself. There are some really nice "peddle friendly" letterboxes that I can get to by taking the road.

Any experience and advice?
Tri-Colored Paws
Never wake a sleeping baby
Board: Postals
Jul 8, 2011 6:21am
Thread Board
My sleepy dragon has come home from the Phee McFaddell ring. I would like to fill up this logbook before I create a new one and turn him into a traditional.

I am asking for speedy turn around time (less than the normal 5-7 days) so I can get him back before winter.

http://www.atlasquest.com/showinfo.html?gTrackerId=5589

Please read the tracker for additional notes.

WiseMama
Re: Carving Small Details
Reply to: #619571 by Oberon_Kenobi
Jul 8, 2011 6:34am
Thread Board
I carve with an X-acto knife and I get very good detail. I use a lighted magnifying glass and I couldn't carve without it. The difference is astounding and I highly recommend it.
Book tracker, anyone?
Jul 8, 2011 6:44am
Thread Board
Is anyone interested in participating in an altered book tracker? I haven't created one yet but am itching to and think it would be great to launch the books in November, or perhaps the beginning of the year. We could then plant our books at local libraries or book stores :)
Who's in?
-Di
Re: poison ivy wipes.
Board: Letterbox Chatter
Reply to: #617830 by Kirbert
Jul 8, 2011 6:51am
Thread Board
How would you ever know how effective they are? I tromp over poison ivy all the time and rarely come up with a rash, primarily because I stomp on the plants rather than push through them

Well I do the same thing. The urushiol oil residue can remain on your boots or clothing for a while. The wipes aren't used until after you've had a "run-in" with said suspicious plant. I used to "hop" over the plants. My daughter watched me do this and begain doing the same thing on a scout hiking trip ~ hopping over ALL the green plants in the middle of the trail. LOL, so silly. Now she just looks for leaves of 3.

I know Stinkerbell carries Poison Ivy soap and bathes in it at the end of the day. She's had some success with this, but it never helps when you actually sit on urushiol ;)
Jul 8, 2011 7:15am
Thread Board
Welcome!

The hitchhiker question seems to have been answered. But I just wanted to wecome you to the hobby. I started this with my daughters, since they love both treasuring hunting/following clues, and they love stamps. Now I'm into it much more for ME. : )

Hope you have a sucessful weekend. But remember, even if you might come up short, enjoy the hunt and know that it happens to everyone now and then.
Re: Book tracker, anyone?
Reply to: #619590 by Sarcasmo
Jul 8, 2011 7:17am
Thread Board
I might be!

x'ingpaths
Re: While Team MudCupStar went south playin'
Board: State: Maine
Reply to: #619481 by WiseMama
Jul 8, 2011 7:18am
Thread Board
I SO agree!!!
Reply to: #619590 by Sarcasmo
Jul 8, 2011 7:20am
Thread Board
That sounds like such a cool idea. would like to know more details on how that works. How do you keep the librarians from finding the book and not throwing them out? Is that something that would need prior permission from the library?
Re: WOM Clues
Reply to: #619489 by Baqash
Jul 8, 2011 7:20am
Thread Board
"It's behind the sign that says 'DANGER cliff' "

Shiloh
Reply to: #619597 by Sea Maid
Jul 8, 2011 7:22am
Thread Board
You should get permission. Librarians are definately aware of what goes on in their libraries .
Re: new to this hobby
Board: New Members' Board
Reply to: #619307 by Green Tortuga
Jul 8, 2011 7:23am
Thread Board
Some people like magnificent stamps while some people love Star Trek.

Those aren't mutually exclusive. I've seen some magnificent Star Trek stamps! ;)

TG
Re: Never wake a sleeping baby
Reply to: #619588 by WiseMama
Jul 8, 2011 7:25am
Thread Board
Waaa he's already full :(
Texas Art Educators Association.
Board: Event News and Planning
Jul 8, 2011 7:26am
Thread Board
TAEA is having their 50th anniversary conference in Galveston. Are there any letterboxers going to that event and does anyone plan to do any boxing while in Galveston? You have to be a member of TAEA to go to the conference, but Im sure some of us have gotten into boxing. I cant possibly be the only one! It's being held in October or November in Galveston.
Jul 8, 2011 7:26am
Thread Board
I've gotten something similar -- someone asking for how to decrypt an encrypted clue. They asked me and everyone who had logged it. They didn't have any finds for any of my other boxes (which you would need in order to decrypt the clue).

[._.]
Re: My Goof Up Was A Winner
Reply to: #619443 by Baqash
Jul 8, 2011 7:29am
Thread Board
Print a draft on your paper so you can see where it prints. Then tape a piece of baking parchment

This is the same thing I do when using packing tape. Print it then tape over it. You don't need to go buy parchment paper just use clear packing tape. This is the same method as using the backing sheet from lables or using the clear over head projector transparancies. FYI

Shiloh
Reply to: #619423 by Beach Bum TX
Jul 8, 2011 7:30am
Thread Board
So you used the stamp cleaner and toner?

Shiloh
Re: Never wake a sleeping baby
Reply to: #619602 by Littlemonkey
Jul 8, 2011 7:31am
Thread Board
Waaa he's already full :(

:-( That filled in an hour!
Reply to: #619605 by shiloh
Jul 8, 2011 7:32am
Thread Board
shiloh, I've done this with transparencies (for like a year) and didn't get nearly the same quality of consistent usable result. For me, the cost of a roll of parchment was well worth it.
mailboxing
Jul 8, 2011 7:34am
Thread Board
I had to laugh when I got a nice message from my non-letterboxer friend who said, "Hope the summer is allowing you a little fun, mailboxing, perhaps..." :-)
Reply to: #619608 by Baqash
Jul 8, 2011 7:36am
Thread Board
didn't get nearly the same quality of consistent usable result

Ok. I just thought I'd mention it. I've been able to get transfers so detailed I can't possibly carve that small.

Shiloh
Jul 8, 2011 7:38am
Thread Board
Hit the Delete

deniserows
descisively
Play Musical Chairs LTCs
Board: LTC: Trades and Trackers
Jul 8, 2011 7:59am
Board
I still have a Musical Chairs card by Electric Medic. The first person to e-mail me at AQ with a Musical card to trade that I have not had gets it.
Re: Musical Chairs LTC 2011
Board: LTC: Trades and Trackers
Reply to: #618200 by nosox
Jul 8, 2011 8:01am
Thread Board
I have one by Electric Medic. Want to trade? The Woodwhittler
Re: Easter egg planted!
Board: State: Oklahoma
Reply to: #619540 by Okie Dog
Jul 8, 2011 8:03am
Thread Board
...Were there other people there besides you all? If you can stand the heat that may be the best time to go, no muggles to contend with, huh? In this heat.....

Surprisingly, yes. It was actually pretty busy for how hot it was, at least in my opinion. The trails we went on were empty because they were tougher hikes, but we didn't put them too far down the trail because it was so stinkin hot. We wanted to go down another trail but there was a sign that said it was a steep trail and with GG's ankle messed up and my hypoglycemia (hadn't eaten), we decided against it. I knew I could make it down but wasn't sure I'd make it back up. If I eat in that hot of heat, I get sick, so I couldn't eat and I was shaky.