A Letterboxing Community

Search

Read Messages

Re: WOM Clues
Board: Letterbox Chatter
Reply to: #619553 by bluebirdlover
Jul 7, 2011 8:35pm
Thread Board
I completely agree :) I do not doubt Wassa has found the Lonely Seagull (my posts have truly been in jest) and I know that I have not yet (without really any trying). But, I am willing to do a little wager. I am guessing I will solve Lonely Seagull (and hopefully find it if I can make a trip to its location) before Wassa solves this one....

http://www.atlasquest.com/showinfo.html?gBoxId=72508.

I am willing to carve any stamp image he chooses for me if I lose the bet or am open to some other type of wager. Hmmm, what should my prize be if I should win? ...

Jeff *who really doesn't have a lot of time to solve the mysteries, but will do so if Wassa will* ;)
Re: Virginia Beach Good Day
Board: State: Virginia
Reply to: #619527 by IrishRef
Jul 7, 2011 8:47pm
Thread Board
We appreciate you coming to our area to box. Hope you had a fun time here and congrats on your new milestone.
Reply to: #619489 by Baqash
Jul 7, 2011 8:47pm
Thread Board
No information as to which clue they wanted.

Then why assume it's your WOM clue?
P count the WOM box and then respond, "Which of my boxes are you referring to?"
*evil grin*
Re: Big Brother tonight
Board: Television: After the Show Ends
Reply to: #619488 by The hicks from the sticks
Jul 7, 2011 8:50pm
Thread Board
Ack! I am so psyched for this season!!! It is going to be the best ever. Can't wait for the feeds to go live in about 10 minutes. :-) Yep... I'm a superfan who subscribes to the lives feeds... but with the duos they brought back... how could I not??
Re: Butterfly Suzy - Happy Cake Day, Young Lady!
Board: Prayer and Healing
Reply to: #619550 by Team Awesome Pants
Jul 7, 2011 8:50pm
Thread Board
Yes! Hope you had a good day! Congrats!
Re: Songbird - Happy Cake Day to You!
Board: Postals
Reply to: #619551 by Team Awesome Pants
Jul 7, 2011 8:52pm
Thread Board
Happy cake day Songbird!
Reply to: #619553 by bluebirdlover
Jul 7, 2011 8:59pm
Thread Board
what? "not met any of these people"

Anyone who hasn't met Goofy girl please raise your hand...
Re: Happy AQ-versary
Board: State: Oregon
Reply to: #619402 by Sleeps In Socks
Jul 7, 2011 9:01pm
Thread Board
Thanks! I'm so glad you noticed my cake. Last year I didn't see it and this year ... I've been otherwise occupied. I'm glad I don't have to go three years before seeing my cake!

Yes! Here's to having way more fun this year.
Re: Kurt's mom has passed
Board: State: Ohio
Reply to: #619170 by p pack
Jul 7, 2011 9:12pm
Thread Board
So sorry for your loss, Kurt and Christy! Praying for you and the rest of your family.
Reply to: #619554 by FORAYCH
Jul 7, 2011 9:15pm
Thread Board
I am willing to carve any stamp image he chooses for me if I lose the bet or am open to some other type of wager.

Hmmmm... am I being set up here? Have you already solved it and you're gonna wait to spring it on me?

Aw heck... you're on, Jeff!!
Re: July 2011 Book Club Book
Board: AQ Book Club Main Board
Reply to: #619121 by J Walkers
Jul 7, 2011 9:30pm
Thread Board
I am more than half way through this one after picking it up this afternoon. It is a quick read. But I am having a hard time keeping the characters straight. Reading it did make me hungry. LOL I found 3 recipes that I have to try out for sure very soon. ;)

~Aurora
Reply to: #619489 by Baqash
Jul 7, 2011 9:34pm
Thread Board
I've had requests just like this. I either ignore them or write back asking for further information like what box are they referring to. 9 times out of 10 they never respond to that email.
Reply to: #619537 by FORAYCH
Jul 7, 2011 9:38pm
Thread Board
I will vouch that Wassa actually solved the box and found it.. first person to actually solve the clue!
Reply to: #619563 by wassamatta u
Jul 7, 2011 9:43pm
Thread Board
You two are making my night. As I sit here in the full throws of pneumonia, I come upon this and went from complete misery to utter glee.

Thank you!!!
Re: Uggg.... Bad news
Board: The Grateful Letterboxers!
Reply to: #619499 by SWiGS
Jul 7, 2011 9:43pm
Thread Board
Oh, bummer! But the good news is, you'll be here tomorrow!!! :-)
Reply to: #619567 by Maiden
Jul 7, 2011 9:44pm
Thread Board
As I sit here in the full throws of pneumonia, I come upon this and went from complete misery to utter glee.

We're here to help! Get well soon, Dear Maiden!!
Reply to: #619569 by wassamatta u
Jul 7, 2011 10:00pm
Thread Board
Yes, Maiden please get better - pneumonia be gone!!!

Wassa, I have not solved it - but will certainly put energy into doing so now! As for your challenge - I hope you solve that one as it seems a doozy that needs some attention!!!

Jeff
Carving Small Details
Board: Stamp Carving and Mounting
Jul 7, 2011 10:04pm
Thread Board
I carved my first signature stamp on an eraser. It is doing what erasers do; flakes off a little bit each time I ink it.

I recarved my signature stamp last night. I used the white material from Stampeaz. It seemed a little more difficult to carve, but only slightly. I have had difficulty carving small details, especially inner parts of letters. I've even got needles for carving. I'm nearsighted, so I just take off my glasses for close work.

Will a magnifying glass help that much?

How much of an improvement is the #0 gouge? What about the others from Stampeaz?

Any other hints for the inner part of letters?
Re: Giant Hogweed Flower?
Board: Miscellaneous Oddities
Reply to: #619455 by Raven
Jul 7, 2011 10:22pm
Thread Board
We have it all over in the PNW. We saw lots of it yesterday while hiking along the south coast in Washington.
Re: Carving Small Details
Reply to: #619571 by Oberon_Kenobi
Jul 7, 2011 10:25pm
Thread Board
I use a very good magnifier and light combo (Ott Light) and a reversed 1v Staedtler, which allows me to make some decent lettering, probably down to 9 or 10 point pretty clearly. The magnification allows me to see the image's light or dark edges more distinctly and the reversed 1v allows me to put the cutting tip right where I want it. I carve holding the stamp in my hand and turning it while my gouge is perpendicular to the material with only a slight degree of angle off from straight up and down (thus leaving a very small amount of the cutting edge touching the rubber). Different letters have me focus on different approaches to removing the inner material - a triangle of a capital A is approached differently than a circle inside an O. You will need to find your own favorite way of tackling each one, but this is where practice and patience come in. Hope this helps some. Jeff
Re: i am BRAND new...question?
Board: Region: Midwest
Reply to: #619574 by System
Jul 8, 2011 1:42am
Thread Board
Hi! Welcome to letterboxing!

I see you're starting off right by looking things up and carving your own stamp. Good for you! We've got a good group here who are always willing to answer questions, especially on the stupid questions board.

About hitchhikers: here is a link to the glossary entry - page "h". about halfway down is hitchhikers, and there are several links there that will take you to more info on them.

I'd recommend reading the whole glossary; you'll learn a lot, and it's also entertaining. You'll find the glossary, the code of conduct, and the help boards by hovering your mouse over the "home" button on the menu.

Romana
Jul 8, 2011 2:07am
Thread Board
I also take off my glasses for close work, and I can tell you for sure, a mag/light combo makes a huge difference. You won't believe how much more you can see.
Jul 8, 2011 4:28am
Thread Board
Maybe this will help.

Medic

PS...since creating that post, he has added a mini steadler and a reverse steadler, both available at Stampeaze.
Jul 8, 2011 4:54am
Thread Board
You of course don't have to take a hitchhiker just because it is in the letterbox.

If you do you are agreeing to leave it in another letterbox. When you get to the other letterbox, you stamp the hh into that boxes logbook. You also stamp the box stamp into the hh logbook.

They are supposed to be small so they can fit into other boxes. Taking a large one can be a challenge to leave somewhere else as a result of the size. It shouldn't be left in a box that it doesn't really fit in the first place.
Jul 8, 2011 5:00am
Thread Board
Hi, You are close to me. I'm sending you an AQ mail with some info.
Welcome!
roly-polies
Re: length
Board: Traditional Letterboxes
Reply to: #619198 by musicnote101
Jul 8, 2011 5:00am
Thread Board
I guess it depends on where you're planting. I have a series of 5 boxes planted on a one-mile loop in a park. The loop takes you into a wooded area where the trails twist and turn and criss cross so much you feel like you're in a maze. Planting 5 boxes there works.

But I also have a series of 16 boxes spread across 17 miles of trail. It's a "Rails to Trails" trail that's heavily traveled. The boxes had to be spread out in order to find really good hiding places.

I've found a 10 box series on a 6 mile trail and a 20 box series on a one mile loop. To me, it all depends on the terrain and the series.

Florida Sunsets
Re: A sign you Tweet too much.
Board: Funny Pages
Reply to: #619528 by speedsquare
Jul 8, 2011 5:22am
Thread Board
I'd have to agree with you there, speedsquare! After reading the entire article, I'm not sure I can buy the amnesia defense either. Hopefully this student DID learn a lesson. Yikes. Scary stuff!

ASL Girl
Purchasing a bike for letterboxing
Board: Yakking It Up
Jul 8, 2011 6:04am
Thread Board
Does anyone have any experience with bikes and letterboxing? I'd like to buy a bike but I'm not sure which type would be the best. My first guess is a mountain bike for hitting trails but I don't want to limit myself. There are some really nice "peddle friendly" letterboxes that I can get to by taking the road.

Any experience and advice?
Tri-Colored Paws
Never wake a sleeping baby
Board: Postals
Jul 8, 2011 6:21am
Thread Board
My sleepy dragon has come home from the Phee McFaddell ring. I would like to fill up this logbook before I create a new one and turn him into a traditional.

I am asking for speedy turn around time (less than the normal 5-7 days) so I can get him back before winter.

http://www.atlasquest.com/showinfo.html?gTrackerId=5589

Please read the tracker for additional notes.

WiseMama
Jul 8, 2011 6:34am
Thread Board
I carve with an X-acto knife and I get very good detail. I use a lighted magnifying glass and I couldn't carve without it. The difference is astounding and I highly recommend it.