About Theme

A Letterboxing Community

Search

Read Messages

WOM Clues
Board: Letterbox Chatter
Jul 7, 2011 5:51pm
Thread Board
I just received a request for a WOM clue of mine.
The person requesting is brand new on AQ.
Has no plants, finds, or even attempts.
The entire email said: "Hello, please send me the clue, thanks."
No information as to which clue they wanted.

What would you do?
Re: Limited Time Boxes
Board: Region: Pacific Northwest
Reply to: #619483 by Maiden
Jul 7, 2011 5:51pm
Thread Board
What a great cause and sounds fun too.
Re: Park Rapids Lakes Area
Board: State: Minnesota
Reply to: #619453 by Fiskers
Jul 7, 2011 5:55pm
Thread Board
Mostly Paul Bunyan

I am soooo jealous! Perhaps I'll get up north this summer ... maybe not. A trip up I-27 to Grand Forks is not the same as a trip up 371 to great grandma's house.
OH-IO
Board: Sports Emporium
Jul 7, 2011 5:57pm
Thread Board
Some Tressel love! (In my hometown.)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mUZMXYKCn-0
Re: Big Brother tonight
Board: Television: After the Show Ends
Reply to: #619488 by The hicks from the sticks
Jul 7, 2011 6:01pm
Thread Board
Pushing the imaginary YAYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY!!!!!!!!!! button.
Unitiated Newbie or Mole?
Jul 7, 2011 6:02pm
Thread Board
I received an unexpected email from someone claiming to be in your area wanting one of my WOM clues. This person just joined AQ today and has documented no finds, plants or attempts. After our experiences with the Forest Defender and other issues, I'm not inclined to share a WOM clue in this instance. Something about this dog just don't hunt. I'm posting this experience in case caution awareness needs to be raised once again.
Re: OH-IO
Reply to: #619492 by Mn8X
Jul 7, 2011 6:05pm
Thread Board
Those vests are great! Where do I get one?

Was that EagleEyes riding the lawn mower and wearing sunglasses?
Re: WOM Clues
Reply to: #619489 by Baqash
Jul 7, 2011 6:09pm
Thread Board
The entire email said: "Hello, please send me the clue, thanks."
No information as to which clue they wanted.

What would you do?

Reply:

Go to a park. Face the thing. Take some steps. Turn left a bit. Take some more steps. Look to the side, see if you see it.

Chances are, they will find a geocache if they follow your instructions.
Reply to: #619495 by Rosmarinus
Jul 7, 2011 6:10pm
Thread Board
No, but we (the whole family!) were in the parade too. (On a different float) (and we made it on youtube too!)
Re: Unitiated Newbie or Mole?
Reply to: #619494 by Baqash
Jul 7, 2011 6:12pm
Thread Board
*hugs* Hopefully they are not a mole. I would not share the clue either if I lived in the Pacific Northwest instead of the Midwest. My thoughts wondered if the Forest Defender was still out there and up to the same old schemes recently. However, I don't want to increase that site's traffic one bit.
Uggg.... Bad news
Board: The Grateful Letterboxers!
Jul 7, 2011 6:13pm
Thread Board
We made it to MA! Just as as we crossed over from CT a car next to use was beeping us. We had a flat tire!
So a little delay. Staying in the Hampton inn for the night. New tire in the morning be a little late :(
Re: Zombies
Board: State: North Carolina
Reply to: #619485 by Safari Man
Jul 7, 2011 6:14pm
Thread Board
We went to eat at Ruby Tuesday's good food and Abby was a good girl eating her Mac n cheese so good to have just her every once in awhile. Sister and brother are at my in laws we pick them up tomorrow.

Commerical time: Cadavers outfitters where your western wear is picked out by the not so alive!
Re: Uggg.... Bad news
Reply to: #619499 by SWiGS
Jul 7, 2011 6:16pm
Thread Board
Glad you are safe. We had that happen to us too going to a letterboxing event.
Have fun letterboxing.

Sally-O
Jul 7, 2011 6:16pm
Thread Board
Sounds kind of fishy to me. Out of all the thousands of letterbox planters on AQ, why did they choose to contact you? If they didn't even have the name of the letterbox, how would they know the clues were WOM in the first place? It also seems weird that they didn't even introduce themselves in the email. I wouldn't share any clues under these circumstances.
Re: Uggg.... Bad news
Reply to: #619499 by SWiGS
Jul 7, 2011 6:18pm
Thread Board
Stay safe, honorary VT girl. see you soon!!
~tigs
Reply to: #619502 by brandicat
Jul 7, 2011 6:20pm
Thread Board
It's listed as in a community but also listed as WOM
Jul 7, 2011 6:25pm
Thread Board
I suppose you might have more than one WOM clue if there are some with restrictions on them....but I can only see one, so I'm guessing it's that one your interlocutor is referring to. The instructions for the box say "ask the planter for the clue"; if I were new & saw that, I'd probably send you an email that said, "Hi, please send me the clue!" :)

So I think I'd send them the clue, and if there was something you were concerned about maybe ask/tell them about it (like: only a seasoned hiker should attempt this, or: this is in a very busy location, please be extremely stealthy).

Sheeb
Reply to: #619506 by Sheba
Jul 7, 2011 6:26pm
Thread Board
why would they ask for the clue without finding clued boxes first? seems odd to me
Reply to: #619508 by Baqash
Jul 7, 2011 6:27pm
Thread Board
maybe they don't log on line?
Reply to: #619509 by Sheba
Jul 7, 2011 6:29pm
Thread Board
brand new aq member as of today
Jul 7, 2011 6:36pm
Thread Board
It sounds a little odd to me. I wouldn't send this person the clue until they have at least a few other finds under their belt.
Reply to: #619510 by Baqash
Jul 7, 2011 6:37pm
Thread Board
I boxed for about a year before I finally joined AQ , so being new on AQ doesn't necessarily mean they would be a newbie boxer. But still, the wording of their e-mail just doesn't sound right to me - it's so abrupt.
Jul 7, 2011 6:40pm
Thread Board
maybe they previously haven't been logging on line on LbNA, & just created their account? I dunno :)
Jul 7, 2011 6:40pm
Thread Board
I had a newbie like that ask for one of my WOMs. I tactfully told them "no freakin way" till they get a little experience. Turned out they are a nice couple that want to get involved and really liked the name of the box. I still haven't given them the clue yet but will some day.
Reply to: #619514 by BBStacker
Jul 7, 2011 6:43pm
Thread Board
um, i wouldn't give them the clue. Frankly, Baquash, i wouldn't expect you to give ME the clue without explaining who i am and what's what - and i've got a few boxes under my belt. . . .and i'm a much more known quantity.

then again, i'm not the most trusting sort - i used to work with junkies for a living.
~tigs
Re: Take Your Webmaster To Lunch Day
Board: Atlas Quest Announcements
Reply to: #619257 by Green Tortuga
Jul 7, 2011 6:44pm
Thread Board
I'd take you to lunch any day Wassa... you won't even need to wait for Webmaster day. Simply let Washington cut in line before California on the state theme, and you're all set!
Re: Limited Time Boxes
Reply to: #619483 by Maiden
Jul 7, 2011 6:45pm
Thread Board
What a wonderful idea. I'm on the opposite side of the country or I'd be there. I've done the relay here in New England.
Reply to: #619492 by Mn8X
Jul 7, 2011 6:47pm
Thread Board
Seriously. A tribute to someone being required to resign for covering up blatant cheating. A tribute to all that is wrong in NCAA sports. Winning and dollar signs rather than college students who actually attend class and also want to play sports. Let'se get the NBA and NFL to take these players at 18 and pay them to play in a minor league system like MLB. Then college sports can go back to being students.
Re: re: wool allergy
Board: Tools of the Trade
Reply to: #619336 by kaypendragon
Jul 7, 2011 6:52pm
Thread Board
And I love all my bamboo socks!

My poor daughter was given a beautiful bamboo comforter that was special ordered for her and personalized with her name embroidered on it. She found out by using this beauty that she is allergic to bamboo. :( It stinks because it's such a soft fabric.
Re: A strong wind blew me through OK
Board: State: Oklahoma
Reply to: #619383 by dancingpecan
Jul 7, 2011 6:54pm
Thread Board
I kept hoping you'd get the boxes listed before I went to both Arkansas and Oklahoma today. Ah well, just gives me something to look forward to for my next trip!