A Letterboxing Community

Search

Read Messages

Re: this one's definitely odd...but kinda fun
Board: Miscellaneous Oddities
Reply to: #60380 by LUNA crew
Jan 3, 2007 1:35pm
Thread Board
This is totally nuts! I don't see how any rational, sane adult could waste precious daylight doing this. I bookmarked it to "My Favorites." I'm going to wait till the kids are in bed. ;)
Re: Getting ready for first plant
Board: State: Alabama
Reply to: #60382 by galaxy4
Jan 3, 2007 1:39pm
Thread Board
Hey, look! More LB'ers in my hometown. Wahoo! Hey, you plant that first stamp. I don't care how good or bad others think it is, if you gave it your best. I'll be proud to have it in my book. And if someone don't like it, I'll dust off my ticket book. Let me see, what was the ordinance number for ticking off the cops?

Big Ox
Reply to: #60418 by Big Ox and the Herd
Jan 3, 2007 1:53pm
Thread Board
Quote Let me see, what was the ordinance number for ticking off the cops?

Big Ox

It's the generally used and ambiguously defined charge of "disorderly conduct."

Whenever another lawyer used to ask me what that was when I worked in a general practice law firm I just told them "that means the client got a police officer really mad at him."

(yes, I know there's a better explanation, but you'd be surprised how satisfied they were with their new-found understanding of the charges.)

Legal terminology with a Snarky twist, at your service.

MisterSnarky (oh, please don't call me "Mister")
Re: stool & table combo
Board: Tools of the Trade
Reply to: #60364 by Mystic Dreamer
Jan 3, 2007 1:55pm
Thread Board
Quote (the little fart is dead weight, I don't think that he understands the concept of holding on or helping)

Maybe one of those backpack frames with the shelf for the pack would work to harness him to. :)

Shiloh
Reply to: #60355 by galaxy4
Jan 3, 2007 1:56pm
Thread Board
Plant it! One of my absolute favorite finds was a box with a stamp that I honestly have no idea what it is. The clues were so cute and clever and the location was wonderful. We liked it so much that we took our extended family and introduced them to letterboxing. Maybe I'll hunt for it on my way home one day. Birmingham is half way to my hometown in MS.
Alabama will be shutting down for the day
Board: Yakking It Up
Jan 3, 2007 1:59pm
Thread Board
The entire State of Alabama will be closing for business for the rest of the afternoon. Don't even try to get a McDonalds or an insurance salesman or even trash service.

You see, Nick Saban has arrived in Tuscaloosa from Miami. He is the new Alabama football coach.

As this is understandably a highly solemn religious occasion for the majority of Alabamians, all attention will be focused on him walking out of the airplane, going to get something to eat, taking bathroom breaks, etc.

Even the Governor will be taking time out of his day.

All regular television programming has been pre-empted.

Establishment clause (of the Constitution) be darned. You must bow down and give homage. Roll Tide-- chant the mantra -- Roll Tide. You will be cast out of regular society if you don't join in the mantra.

This is Alabama religion.

OBEY.

MisterSnarky (oh, please don't call me "Mister")
Jan 3, 2007 2:01pm
Thread Board
Wow, Galaxy, if I scrapped every less than perfect stamp, I would not have any plants. It is the game, the hunt, the find, the high that excites me. I look forward to finding your first plant. You just keep them coming, and rest assured, "If you plant them, they will come!" Congrats on your first box.
Re: Holy Mail Batman!!
Reply to: #60407 by HG's Crew
Jan 3, 2007 2:03pm
Thread Board
Quote I hope everyone else got fun mail too. :)

I had one thing. The electric bill.

Shiloh
Reply to: #60418 by Big Ox and the Herd
Jan 3, 2007 2:05pm
Thread Board
I think it's called "deboxery"
Re: icons in general
Board: Atlas Quest Announcements
Reply to: #60269 by Frettchen
Jan 3, 2007 2:07pm
Thread Board
" THEY'RE NOT VERY COMPUTER LITERATE"

HERE, HERE for them as for myself i still haven't figure out this cut and paste as you can see but i still muddle through. What in the world is a pdf -- I barely have heard of a pda. <laughing at my skills>
congrats to all you smarties.
Re: Alabama will be shutting down for the day
Reply to: #60422 by MisterSnarky
Jan 3, 2007 2:10pm
Thread Board
Quote Nick Saban has arrived in Tuscaloosa from Miami. He is the new Alabama football coach.

Yeah, tell me about it! Oh, wait. There's been a thing or two about it on our news, too. <g>

DebBee, in South Florida
Re: newly retired boxes in Ithaca, NY
Board: State: New York
Reply to: #60398 by TurtleMcQ
Jan 3, 2007 2:12pm
Thread Board
retirements are always sad to hear.....

But I also am jumping about snow-less in BUFFALO. Imagine the second wormest oops I mean warmest month in history again this month. I'm liking Mr. Frosty a lot this "winter season".
Re: Bye Bye, Baby It's Cold Outside!
Board: State: South Carolina
Reply to: #60351 by Electric City Four
Jan 3, 2007 2:14pm
Thread Board
We went together for your box on the afternoon of Christmas day and LOVED it! Nighttime would have been better, but we'll do our best to make that happen next year. Ya gotta do it again!! :-)

GreyCrazy
Re: Artistic leather book covers
Board: Logbook Logistics
Reply to: #60146 by LibraryGrrl
Jan 3, 2007 2:15pm
Thread Board
And when are your ren faires over there. Sounds like I'd like to start planning a vacation.
Re: Non-Theme Theme
Reply to: #60318 by Green Tortuga
Jan 3, 2007 2:24pm
Thread Board
So is there a Ground Hog Day theme? We weren't into LB at this time last year. I am fond of Ground Hog Day, because my bosses at Moses Cone Hospital (Greensboro, NC) would have a party then instead of at Christmas each year. It was a blast. I plan to make my own Ground Hog Day cards and send them out this year, since I never got around to doing Christmas cards this past month.
I think the next holiday is MLK day.
Chickadee
Reply to: #60407 by HG's Crew
Jan 3, 2007 2:27pm
Thread Board
I actually called home on lunch to see how many postals I got... three! whoop whoop... sometimes I think I need to get a life :)
Reply to: #60425 by mstrwndl
Jan 3, 2007 2:27pm
Thread Board
Oh, you're good! It's actually feloniuos hibauchery. I just wish I had your skills with a pun.
Reply to: #60424 by shiloh
Jan 3, 2007 2:31pm
Thread Board
I got my misterart carving supplies!! Now I've got some postals to carve if you'll excuse me!!
Reply to: #60422 by MisterSnarky
Jan 3, 2007 2:32pm
Thread Board
Well, I will if I have to, but WAR EAGLE!!!!!!!
Reply to: #60434 by Big Ox and the Herd
Jan 3, 2007 2:34pm
Thread Board
That is my new trail name. "A Skill'a the Pun"
Re: stool & table combo
Board: Tools of the Trade
Reply to: #60383 by Pied Piper
Jan 3, 2007 2:34pm
Thread Board
I carry a small clipboard in my pack to have a flat surface to stamp in on.

TG
Stressful holidays WAS Re: sharing kids for the holidays
Reply to: #60233 by Moonduck
Jan 3, 2007 2:46pm
Thread Board
Moonduck- ALL those nurses are thanking you this week as they get their per-diam pay + their holiday differential pay in their checks. Be well and know there is always next Christmas at your new home!
Six Stars
Reply to: #60427 by DebBee
Jan 3, 2007 3:07pm
Thread Board
They are reporting on how the news has been received in vacum cleaner stores and hardware stores today.

Auburn fans are pretty happy about it too because it isn't that much fun winning the Iron Bowl if your rival's team isn't any good.
Help find my stamp!
Board: State: California
Jan 3, 2007 3:16pm
Thread Board
I planted a letterbox in August called "Don't Fear the Reaper"; only a week or so later, I got a message from someone who said that they saw my letterbox being "found" by a landscape crew that happened to be removing the bush under which my box was hidden! What are the chances? Anyway, this kind person rescued the box and took it home with him -- to Kentucky or some such place. I forget now. They asked my address, I gave it to them, and they said the box would be mailed back to me. Only, it hasn't. I figured I'd give them a chance -- I mean, it's not very high on anyone's priority list, really. But ... August? Okay, that seems like plenty of time to have mailed at least my stamp back to me. I'd like to contact this person just to remind them -- or at least tell them they can re-plant the box somewhere in Kansas if they like, as long as I get carving credit, but I'd like to know what's going on, since people keep emailing me wondering if the box has been replaced yet.
Anyone know how I can find out WHO this mystery boxer was so I can give him a nudge?

monotonia
Help find my stamp!
Board: State: Kentucky
Jan 3, 2007 3:17pm
Thread Board
I planted a letterbox in California this August called "Don't Fear the Reaper"; only a week or so later, I got a message from someone who said that they saw my letterbox being "found" by a landscape crew that happened to be removing the bush under which my box was hidden! What are the chances? Anyway, this kind person rescued the box and took it home with him -- to Kentucky I think which is why I'm posting on this board. They asked my address, I gave it to them, and they said the box would be mailed back to me. Only, it hasn't. I figured I'd give them a chance -- I mean, it's not very high on anyone's priority list, really. But ... August? Okay, that seems like plenty of time to have mailed at least my stamp back to me. I'd like to contact this person just to remind them -- or at least tell them they can re-plant the box somewhere in Kansas if they like, as long as I get carving credit, but I'd like to know what's going on, since people keep emailing me wondering if the box has been replaced yet.
Anyone know how I can find out WHO this mystery boxer was so I can give him a nudge?

monotonia
Jan 3, 2007 3:29pm
Thread Board
Well the more I looked at my "creature" the more I realized he looked like he had been decapitated - and that was just a little icky for me! I have saved him to see if I might be able to resurect him for a later plant, but I decided to start over with an entirely new theme. I'm MUCH happier with this second one. I was so inspired that I finally carved a replacement personal stamp for the cheesy store-bought ones we started with. As a result - I have some passable stamps - but I didn't get any of the housework done that demanded my attention today! Since I'm almost out of pink stuff, I might actually get something done tomorrow!

Thanks for the advice and encouragement. Hopefully it will go in Saturday morning and I can get it posted in the afternoon.

(one part of) Galaxy 4
Re: Non-Theme Theme*Buzzard Day*
Reply to: #60431 by Jolly Roger and Chickadee
Jan 3, 2007 3:32pm
Thread Board
OK, ground hog day is big, MLK day is big, but does anyone out there celebrate Buzzard Day? I know that there must be some folks from in or around Hinckley, OH. It is March 15. We started celebrating in college and I just haven't forgotten it.
For those of you who may NOT know- that is the day all the buzzards go to Hinckley, OH.
And yes, here in NC on the days prior you can see buzzards gathered and in route......
Boy, that should would be a good BOX..... hmmmmmmmmmm.....
RIGHT NOW in NC
Jan 3, 2007 3:39pm
Thread Board
If you are in piedmont/foothills NC right now, go outside before 6:53pm and look NW ski and you will see and grand viewing of the international space station-it is headed south. Go right now, do not pass go, go on out.....
If you've never taken the time to do this, you are missing something pretty special-there are people up there!!
gotta run...............................
New year's day
Board: State: Georgia
Jan 3, 2007 3:54pm
Board
Is finally fixed and the clue is updated! Sorry for the delay this time!
Pirates' Plunder now Planted
Board: State: Washington
Jan 3, 2007 3:55pm
Thread Board
Yo ho, Yo ho, a Pirate's life for me!

After months of searching for just the right spot, Pirates' Plunder has finally found a home. This is an add-to box, so that anyone who'd like to (or who is likely to respond to our begging/pleading/bribing) may carve a pirate-themed stamp to add to the letterbox. Our hope is that someday it will be filled with fabulous treasures, in the spirit of Jay's Toolbox in Portland (Thank you Maiden74 and Jay for the inspiration!)

Thanks! HP and BB