About Theme

A Letterboxing Community

Search

Read Messages

Happy AQ anniversary, Dartmoorseeker!
Board: Letterbox Chatter
Apr 4, 2011 10:53am
Thread Board
I'm sorry you're having a bad day, but I thought I'd wish you happy anniversary for being on Atlas Quest : ) May you have many more years of enjoyable letterboxing ahead of you!

Happy trails!
Re: Postal Envelope Plea...
Board: Postals
Reply to: #595394 by Angel Winks
Apr 4, 2011 10:58am
Thread Board
This was VERY helpful in the Disney Fairies postal. Thank you for the thoughtfulness. :) I shall be stealing this method now as well. :)
Re: Gas Prices... dang!
Board: State: Tennessee
Reply to: #597081 by Rowdy Rodeo Roosters
Apr 4, 2011 11:00am
Thread Board
I must plan a Maryville trip. I'll have to look at my fuel cash and my weekends. It looks like May.
Re: Recruiting Icon & Member Whistles
Board: Suggestion Box
Reply to: #597078 by bluesky
Apr 4, 2011 11:05am
Thread Board
I would love to have another patch for my bag! :):)
WOWZA...that was epic
Board: Postals
Apr 4, 2011 11:14am
Thread Board
Well I am finally caught up on reading the postal board. I hadn't read it in over a month (then started procrastinating due to the continually increasing number of posts that I had to get through).

Catching up on the postal board today was similar to catching up when you're behind on logging and stamping into actual postals b/c now I feel like i've accomplished something....i mean, sure, i skimmed a lot but now my 'my page' is nice and clean of board posts.

...hey now...stop...I see you about to hit the 'reply' button. Don't you do it! I'm finally caught up! NO MORE POSTAL POSTING! ;) Ah, forget it. Post away. I love reading it all. :D

I was bummed about missing a few trackers I wanted to get in on though...for instance, Jabber's 'Robin Hood' single. Missing trackers is definitely a downside of getting a backlog on the postal board but I'm caught up now thankfully.
Re: Personal Logbook Size Poll
Board: Logbook Logistics
Reply to: #597102 by Okie Dog
Apr 4, 2011 11:14am
Thread Board
So true!

A couple of posts for LBCon said "doom" instead of dorm and "meal pain" instead of plan.

Voila! The Doom and Pain PJ party on Friday night before the event.

How fun is that?

Of course, considering wassa, I do NOT want to the patch for foreskin books!

KuKu
Re: Recruiting Icon & Member Whistles
Board: Suggestion Box
Reply to: #597016 by Housepitality Hostess
Apr 4, 2011 11:16am
Thread Board
I like the whistle idea for your side project. I don't think we need a bunch of whistles for stuff but having one is a good idea when boxing alone, one with membership or 1,000+ finds that sort of thing.

I don't like idea of recruiting icon. We recruit those who we know will respect this 'sport ;)' and those who are so creative it would be a natural fit and because there are a number of boxers out there who have been at it a while that they have trouble finding new stuff. I've recruited a few who are registered but don't really box unless I make them (muahahaha) and a newbie who fell in love with it instantly. I like it staying stealth and bristle when I hear mention of an article being published.

I'm certainly glad HHostess that you love this hobby as much as we do!
Re: Wildlife
Reply to: #597079 by felixpezgirl
Apr 4, 2011 11:19am
Thread Board
I'd love to see a deer while hiking

Generally speaking, my 5 1/2 year old son makes enough noise to drive off any critters in a coiuple mile radius of where we are! However, I had the rare chance sometime early last fall to go on a hike with just my daughter - who was small enough at the time I could put her in a baby carrier on my chest and she'd fall asleep. So I'm walking along - not being super quiet, but more quietly than normal since I have no chattering 5 year old with me. And all of a sudden a deer about 50 feet away from my path got startled and went leaping and crashing away. It woke up Baby Rowe-ver too, though that may have been partly because I shrieked in her ear because I didn't see the silly deer until it was running away!
Re: Movies that led you to books
Board: Reading Room
Reply to: #597105 by Woman to Blame
Apr 4, 2011 11:19am
Thread Board
The movie is OK (and I know that there are many who ABSOLUTELY LOVE the movie) but the book is so much better.

This is why I think that whichever one you experience first is the one you like better. You read the book first and that's what you like better. But if someone sees the movie first, I think most of the time people will like the movie better. That's the way I feel most of the time. If I read the book first, I ALWAYS like the book better. But for the ones I've watched first, I like the movie better. I couldn't believe how completely different Chitty Chitty Bang Bang was from book to movie. It's a completely different story. And I couldn't even get through Mary Poppins (which I know shocks a lot of people). I did not like that book. I love the movie. So do you find this to be true?

FG
Re: Farting
Board: Atlas Quest Announcements
Reply to: #596571 by Public Hand
Apr 4, 2011 11:20am
Thread Board
I actually bought a card years ago that had fancy writing and a pretty design on the front: "Romeo, Romeo. . ."

Inside: "How the fart art thou?"

I gave it to my sister. I should have kept one for myself just for fun.

KuKu
Re: Planting boxes at dog parks
Board: Letterboxing Help Desk
Reply to: #594954 by veganf and the Dolphins
Apr 4, 2011 11:20am
Thread Board
I found those "tree" boxes this weekend..definately no dogs could get those...maybe a racoon could.
1965 Cicada invasion, Ohio
Board: State: North Carolina
Apr 4, 2011 11:23am
Thread Board
I was 19 years old...my first son was due 4 weeks later. Cicadas were terrible and when I had to walk up the doctor's office they kept hitting my dress..I HATED THEM. They hit the window screens at night by my bed in our non air condition house.

On june 15 I walked down to the A & P to get a cake to make for my birthday. As I walked about 2 doors from my house, One came from the right...one came around the left and in hitting them I fell right down on my belly!!

I know they don't bite people, but they are creepy!!!! Like some ancient invador and I had NEVER heard anyone talk about how terrible they were before when they came and I would have be 2 years old.

Baby didn't move the next day and I went to see my doctor worried I had harmed him. He started pushing around on my abdomen and whap there went the kick.

I just cried that all was well.

He was born July 2 about 20 days early!!!

NO decorations for me from those buggers!!!

I can still see them...EEEUWWW
Reply to: #597114 by J Walkers
Apr 4, 2011 11:26am
Thread Board
This is why I think that whichever one you experience first is the one you like better.

The Princess Bride is an exceptional case. Movie first, then book.
Re: Today Is A Horrible Day.
Reply to: #597093 by dartmoorseeker
Apr 4, 2011 11:31am
Thread Board
Hope your afternoon gets better.

Man... I miss being in school! *sigh* No more testing and doing homework... what is a nerd to do out here in the "real world"? I play 'school' with my toddler. He's going to get to Kindergarten and be ready for 3rd grade all because his Mamma was trying to re-create a scholarly environ.
Re: HH transport vessel
Board: Letterboxing Help Desk
Reply to: #596315 by Artemis
Apr 4, 2011 11:32am
Thread Board
Most of the HHs I have sent out have been in one freezer ziploc bag. Usually a small sized one. They seem to survive and can then be put in a pouch sometimes. A pill bottle wouldn't fit in many we find in our area.

Also try and put it in a well trafficed box so it gets moving quickly.

Enjoy.
Apr 4, 2011 11:32am
Thread Board
But if someone sees the movie first, I think most of the time people will like the movie better.

Not true for me at all with Harry Potter. I saw the first three movies and thought they were fun, but nothing particularly noteworthy-- to the point that when my hubby wanted to start reading the books to our eldest, I was fine with not being involved. Then I overhead them reading the Shrieking Shack scene in Prisoner of Azkaban. (Wait- they didn't explain THAT in the books...Prongs was...ohhhhhhh!) After son went to bed I grabbed the book, read a bit and had to physically force myself to close it so I could go back and start with book 1. Within a week I had read the first 5 and was eagerly anticipating Half Blood Prince. Now I have a much better appreciation for the movies, but the books are SO much better.
Reply to: #597023 by Rowdy Rodeo Roosters
Apr 4, 2011 11:33am
Thread Board
There is an app on my cell phone Gas Buddy that keeps me buying cheap so far. Sandy
Apr 4, 2011 11:34am
Thread Board
This is why I think that whichever one you experience first is the one you like better.

I understand your point, but I think I like the books better even if I've seen the movie first (not that I can think of a single example right now). I like how much more fleshed out the books are and how much more detail there is. Movies tend to cut to the chase and leave so much out.

I'm going to keep thinking on this though and see if I can come up with an example of a movie I liked better than the book or vice versa. However, I do tend to read books before watching movies on purpose, I don't want the book ruined for me. :)

SJ Honey Bunny
(and yes, that is a big flamingo on my head!)
Re: Personal Logbook Size Poll
Board: Logbook Logistics
Reply to: #597111 by KuKu
Apr 4, 2011 11:37am
Thread Board
I do NOT want the patch for foreskin books

me me me i want one. please please please. It will go underneath my eye bleach patches very nicely.

deniserows
her patch apron around
Reply to: #597043 by scouttrekkie
Apr 4, 2011 11:39am
Thread Board
My brother lives on Cujo Key, FL. When he called yesterday it was $4.02 there.
Reply to: #597066 by Sarcasmo
Apr 4, 2011 11:49am
Thread Board
Let's go for all of it on Thursday, Sarcasmo. The weather is suppose to be nice. Never been to Cleveland so I'll better get the GPS out just in case since it's looking like I may have to go solo. Rowdy, I guess I can swing by the Mall on the way somehow for your little friends. If you change your mind I can have you back at least by 4. Just think (43) LBes...
Re: How many stamps at once?
Board: Stamp Carving and Mounting
Reply to: #596873 by Kirbert
Apr 4, 2011 11:57am
Thread Board
Here are two pictures, Kirbert:
(This is a spoiler stamp for you Ontario boxers!)

http://www.atlasquest.com/gallery/viewalbum.html?gAlbumId=2811

Look at the second one first - it's untouched. The top image I worked on for awhile to clean it up, but it's still not done.
Re: 1965 Cicada invasion, Ohio
Board: State: North Carolina
Reply to: #597117 by Granny Butterfly
Apr 4, 2011 12:01pm
Thread Board
Ah yes! That was Brood V. They only come out every 17 years. They are not due back till 2016 in Ohio.

Glad to hear your son was okay after your fall. *hugs*
Re: Happy AQ anniversary, Dartmoorseeker!
Reply to: #597106 by LyssaGirl
Apr 4, 2011 12:02pm
Thread Board
Wow a whole year already. Happy anniversary, Dartmoorseeker!!! Hope your week gets better. Just think Easter break and then summer break is just around the corner.
Re: Thanks, OpticQuest
Board: State: Georgia
Reply to: #596897 by karmakat
Apr 4, 2011 12:06pm
Thread Board
Yes! I wanted to contribute in some way since I work Saturdays and cant ever attend the events. I would have hidden more eggs to 'hunt' but yesterday was my only day to plant before Saturday. Hope you enjoy!
Reply to: #597108 by Sarcasmo
Apr 4, 2011 12:06pm
Thread Board
Hey Sarcasmo, can you be in Maryville on May 7th?
Reply to: #597123 by Woman to Blame
Apr 4, 2011 12:10pm
Thread Board
Generally speaking, the book is better, regardless of which one comes first.

A few exceptions that leap to mind: The Godfather and The Bad Beginning ( A Series of Unfortunate Events: Book 1 -- the ending to the first book is particularly implausible on so many levels I don't know where to start).
Reply to: #597126 by scouttrekkie
Apr 4, 2011 12:12pm
Thread Board
I'd love to get the 43, but i've got prior commitments all the way up May (Friday) 13th!
Re: Happy AQversary, koalacat
Board: State: Michigan
Reply to: #597014 by PapaSolo
Apr 4, 2011 12:18pm
Thread Board
Many happy returns of the day, koalacat!

--Donkey and Penguin,
who are currently enjoying the Sarasota sunshine but coming to realize that SE Michigan is *way* better for boxing
March 31-april 2nd trail conditions.
Board: The Buckeye Trail
Apr 4, 2011 12:23pm
Thread Board
We just completed another 42 miles this weekend. We began at the Clermont Sun newspaper office in Batavia thursday morning and finished 12 miles later in Milford. We then started at the Army Corps of engineers office in East Fork and walked another 6.5 miles to Batavia.

Day two was a grueling 20 mile walk on the BT/Steven Neuman trail through East Fork beginning at point 11 and ending at the Army office. We arrived just after dark. Any one who has attended any of the boxing/caching events at the park will know the area well. The trail was mostly wet horse mud all the way. 20 of these miles equals 30 miles in flat lands.

Day 3 was a short 3 mile muddy jaunt from point 9 to point 11. This joins two major segments that I've completed so far. I'm finished from Peebles to Lockington and am 1.4 miles short of the 700 mile mark and 20 short of the half-way point.

We completed day three by joining the trail maintenance crew on some trail clearing. I grubbed out a few multi-fora rose bushes leaving a wider area for the horses to mess up.

One of my hike group will be up north walking across a section later this month on a portion that I finished last spring. I will join him on the leg between Spencer wildlife area and Brecksville and will attempt to complete the 50 mile Akron section too.

A young reporter gal interviewed us in Batavia and drove out to photograph us on a back country road later that day. Look for us in the Clermont Sun, a weekly paper due Thursday.