Reply to: #596235 by Okie Dog
Apr 3, 2011 1:26pm
Thread Board
gotta love that Wassa widget thingy!
Spring Luau photos and blog post
Board: State: California
Apr 3, 2011 1:29pm
Thread Board
My photos were too big for AQ, and I wanted to write a little more- so blog post it is! Check it out:

http://letterboxinglife.blogspot.com/2011/04/spring-luau.html

Till we meet again (possibly at the end of the month!),
Mysticzgal/Lynette
Re: Spring Luau
Board: State: California
Reply to: #596714 by The Blue Rose Gang
Apr 3, 2011 1:30pm
Thread Board
If anyone came home with 2 red Marvy Le Plume II makers, one could be mine, it jump the fence and ran away to another rose garden. If your willing to mail it back, just qmail me....
thanks...
Marjorie
Board: Atlas Quest Announcements
Apr 3, 2011 1:35pm
Thread Board
Looks like she got a make-over.
Obscure in Portland event
Board: Region: Pacific Northwest
Apr 3, 2011 1:40pm
Thread Board
I've posted an event for this coming Saturday April 9th "Obscure in Portland" in celebration of Obscura Day 2011. Check it out and hope to see you there!
Morris Five
Re: How many stamps at once?
Board: Stamp Carving and Mounting
Reply to: #596899 by RavenWolf
Apr 3, 2011 1:50pm
Thread Board
It's super interesting to me to learn how different all of our techniques are!

Yes! I had an idea a while ago, that it would be fun if a bunch of us took short videos of ourselves carving. I haven't quite figured out how to do it myself yet, as the magnifying light is in the way. But I would so love to watch y'all carve.
Reply to: #596876 by WalkinOrange
Apr 3, 2011 2:08pm
Thread Board
How does mounting stamps change the way it stamps? (I just thought it made it a little easier to stamp or kept it from breaking)
Re: Strawberry Fest 2011!
Board: State: Oklahoma
Reply to: #596893 by Goofy girl
Apr 3, 2011 2:25pm
Thread Board
cranium get together

?

Shiloh
Reply to: #596862 by Kirbert
Apr 3, 2011 2:30pm
Thread Board
Go ahead, tell us how many words. I'm betting it wasn't just three words in size 72 font.

Over 100 incorporated into an image. It's a big map of an area.
child accounts
Board: Letterboxing Help Desk
Apr 3, 2011 2:45pm
Thread Board
Created a subaccount for one of my kids, and she would like to change her name. SO, of course I created a subaccount with her NEW name, not thinking. Is there an easy way to delete the old one? Transferring her finds won't be an issue--she only has a handful!

TIA

MS
Reply to: #596864 by Kirbert
Apr 3, 2011 2:50pm
Thread Board
Wally World for $1.50 each

We are not Fla. The blankets sell out here and no close-outs. This yard is a lifetime supply for me. Kirbert, you carve many more stamps than I.
Calendar rejects
Board: Suggestion Box
Apr 3, 2011 3:00pm
Thread Board
Hey Ryan, what do you think of making a theme with some of the "almost made it" photos submitted for the calendar? Kind of like the artist themes, with rotating pictures.

I really like the photos from your Alabama hike, and it would be neat to see what other great pictures people have taken on the trail.
Re: Eagle Cam
Board: Camping, Backpacking, and the Great Outdoors
Reply to: #596852 by twofreetimers
Apr 3, 2011 3:00pm
Thread Board
I saw a bird being fed. It looked like maybe a robin. The camera paned right and followed a black bird that went into the middle of the nest. It was down maybe a foot.
Re: Free Bookmarks
Board: LTC: Trades and Trackers
Reply to: #596716 by EnergyStar
Apr 3, 2011 3:01pm
Thread Board
These are all now gone.
Reply to: #596908 by shiloh
Apr 3, 2011 3:02pm
Thread Board
Sorry I was typing that on my phone it should have been Ft. Smith get together. I have no idea how it got cranium?!

And is anyone going to put the Strawberry Festival on the list of events here on AQ?

GG
Re: Marjorie
Board: Atlas Quest Announcements
Reply to: #596903 by Wronghat
Apr 3, 2011 3:07pm
Thread Board
Haven't you heard? Grey is the new yellow!
last year's flower seeds
Board: Garden Gnomes
Apr 3, 2011 3:16pm
Thread Board
Will last year's flower seeds still grow if I sow them this year?
Re: last year's flower seeds
Board: Garden Gnomes
Reply to: #596917 by SpyCat
Apr 3, 2011 3:29pm
Thread Board
Probably, but maybe not as fertile as last year, and it depends on how they were stored. We have planted seeds that were 5 years old with good results. The seeds lived in the basement until they were planted.
Re: Wildlife
Board: Letterbox Chatter
Reply to: #596800 by felixpezgirl
Apr 3, 2011 3:35pm
Thread Board
We too saw a red fox this past week while letterboxing. We have quite a few in the area so that's not too unusual. However, we did see a red tail hawk being attacked by a falcon, that was being attacked by a crow. it was fun watching each of them trying to act more menacing than the other.

3 Blind Mice
Re: Shorty's coming to New Orleans
Board: State: Louisiana
Reply to: #596827 by dancingpecan
Apr 3, 2011 3:45pm
Thread Board
Yes I would! : )

Ill be down afternoonish on the 28th, and will be leaving afternoonish on the 1st of August. Will mostly be at Ernest N. Morial Convention Center, and sightseeing, and boxing! I dont have my confirmed schedule yet, so I cant plan on meeting at a certain time, but as soon as I know, Ill let you know!
carving injury :)
Apr 3, 2011 4:35pm
Thread Board
I had my first carving injury today :) Sliced my finger under the nail while using a #5 to clean up edges of my stamp. That's what I get for watching the birds outside instead of what I was doing. Lesson learned!
Reply to: #596906 by EmcSquared
Apr 3, 2011 4:41pm
Thread Board
When a stamp is not mounted, the weight of your hand is not evenly distributed across the rubber and wherever you push is likely to be darker than the rest of the image. Also, if you have a few "gorpkins" of rubber that are not carved out all the way, they are likely to stamp even though you don't want them to. If you mount a stamp with thick foam or wood, the weight of the pressure from your hand is more evenly distributed and the chance at stamping "gorpkins" is lessened. I always clean the white area as much as possible, then I mount on thick foam, stamp, and continue cleaning out the gorpkins until I'm satisfied.
Re: Gatlinburg Mini_Meet IV
Board: State: Tennessee
Reply to: #596880 by thewoodwhittler
Apr 3, 2011 4:45pm
Thread Board
We all were glad you were able to make it to the event. We all appreciate all the great carving you do. Hope this year ends a little better for you and your family. Enjoy the gift bag!
Re: Mecklenburg County Cicada Watch Project
Board: State: North Carolina
Reply to: #596881 by dancingpecan
Apr 3, 2011 4:49pm
Thread Board
dancingpecan.... that leaves a great image in my head, we want to see pictures...
Reply to: #596922 by Dizzy
Thread Board
{{a few "gorpkins" of rubber}]

gorpkins???
Re: Wildlife
Board: Letterbox Chatter
Reply to: #596919 by 3 Blind Mice
Thread Board
we did see a red tail hawk being attacked by a falcon, that was being attacked by a crow

Three Blind Mice saw three crazy birds.

Shiloh
Re: Shorty's coming to New Orleans
Board: State: Louisiana
Reply to: #596920 by Shorty
Apr 3, 2011 4:52pm
Thread Board
Hey, Shorty. I thought I'd give some advance notice so people can start checking their schedules. Does pizza sound o.k. or would you rather more New Orleans style food?
Reply to: #596925 by Baqash
Apr 3, 2011 4:52pm
Thread Board
gorpkins???

Made up word, sorry. My Freshman English teacher used it to describe the torn bits of paper on the side of spiral notebook paper. He insisted that all papers turned in didn't have any gorpkins, so we were expected to cut them off if we used spiral bound paper. Since then, I've always used the word to describe bits of something unwanted that you had to get rid of, just like the bits of paper. =)
Reply to: #596915 by Goofy girl
Apr 3, 2011 4:53pm
Thread Board
I don't believe Queendeen was suggesting a meet, she just asked if any one had been to it before. But that doesn't mean you all can't make it a gather...have fun.
Escapade 30th Birthday
Board: State: Wyoming
Apr 3, 2011 4:54pm
Thread Board
This box is going to be retired later this spring. A new stamp in honor of this year's summer escapade will be replacing it in the same location with the old one listed as an other or bonus. So anyone wanting to get two finds off the same location, and hasn't already gotten the current stamp, should be sure to get the 30th Birthday soon.