A Letterboxing Community

Search

Read Messages

Re: The Critics and Questioners
Board: Traditional Letterboxes
Reply to: #58439 by The Wolf Family
Dec 23, 2006 12:42pm
Thread Board
Quote hmm, what about a little common courtesy? I've written to ask for more help with clues, and received replies that confirmed I was in the right area, which is helpful but not giving anything new. A newbie might need just a little encouragement. Sometimes a box is actually missing, or the planter is MIA. I think that it is important to give a reply, but you don't need to add anything to your clues. It's the matter of communication that is worthy, even if it's a pat reply "thanks for the update" or "message received, thank you. recheck the clues" or "sorry, have nothing new for you."

oh, and the sender of the e-mail can find out when you have read your mail, it shows up as read in your sent mail box!
SS
Reply to: #58425 by Lock Wench
Dec 23, 2006 12:48pm
Thread Board
As an artist, I just wanted to add a couple of thoughts...

Quote Because they give of themselves with their valuable time and thought and money, it is sometimes hard to take criticism.

When you put your art out for public consuption, you should expect criticism. Yes, you read that correctly. EXPECT criticism. Everyone's a critic. Sometimes it's good, sometimes it's bad, but art is, in large part, specifically designed to elicit response from the observer. It's what drives a great many of us to create.

Yes, some criticisms are more difficult to take than others. However, you must remember, they're generally not criticising you as a human, a mother/friend/boxer/whatever, a wine lover, or what-have-you. Point being, it's not personal (generally). It's a reflection of someone's experience to your artwork. Yes, at times it can be difficult to separate the two, when you're emtionally invested in the pieces you produce. You learn quickly, though, to take the good with the bad, or you quit producing art....and that, in my opinion, is the most tragic outcome of all.

Quote until I feel he is exerting control over my realm, or he feels I am exerting control over his

I like to think of listing my 'babies' on AQ the same way I would listing my more formal artworks at a gallery. There are rules, regulations, stipulations, etc, that are just part of the game of getting your artwork out there to the public. If I don't want to follow the rules of a particular gallery, I'm free to take them to another, or create my own show, or any number of other ways. But, when you agree to show your art within someone else's construts, you're bound by the way they decide to show your art.

It's not so very different here.

Just my opinion in this tempest in a teapot. :-)

Jenni P McD
Re: Boy/Cub Scouts
Board: Scouts Honor
Reply to: #58240 by six stars
Dec 23, 2006 12:58pm
Thread Board
"Did you go through wood badge? My DH is going through that for boy scouts."

Yes, I went through Wood Badge a couple of years ago. Boy Scouts and Cub Scouts is the same, so maybe you and he could go together!

It really is well worth the effort. It helps not only in scout endeavors but in almost any avenue of life. It keys around learning effective communication and developing leadership skills.

As far as Roundtable, have you checked to see if a nearby district might have theirs on a different night? In our council, every district has RT on the same night every month, which I think is a shame because it's an all or nothing venture attendance-wise. I try to take my RT on the road every month, doing a mini-RT at new leader trainings or other scout events where leaders are likely to be present, but I don't think many RT Commishes do that. I figure I put a whole lot of work into it for the sake of one little meeting, so I may as well get as much use out of it as I can!

BarefootLucy
Reply to: #58390 by teekasue
Dec 23, 2006 12:59pm
Thread Board
Here's my suggestions, for what it's worth.

If you don't want to change the clues, then don't. :-)

But, expect people like me to ask if they get stuck on something. I'm from the 'it can't hurt to ask' school, and the worst thing you can say is 'no'. If you do, I say, 'thanks anyway; happy boxing,' and move on...and I may or may not try the box, depending on the situation.

Now, that's just me. I find asking part of the hunt. Many don't. However, given my area and lack of boxes, I'm making long drives with young children. I"m not asking for special help/clues/guidance or anything you're not willing to part with, but many people in my area ARE willing to be of additional assistance if requested. Maybe we just have a different concept of boxing...I don't know.

As for suggestions regarding plants/clues, sometimes I *DO* offer these, as I"m also a planter, and I offer a thought/suggestion to a box that perhaps the owner didn't think of. I would hope others would do the same for me regarding my boxes. I ALWAYS include the caveat that 'this is just a suggestions, and thought I'd add it. Take if for what it's worth, but you may want to consider...." If they do or don't is no skin off my nose. I look at is as looking after others boxes like I hope others will look after mine. That's all.

Happy trails.

Jenni P McD
Our Mascot Series - Go Colts! is now available
Board: State: Georgia
Dec 23, 2006 1:19pm
Board
The second box in this series has finally been planted. With school out until Jan 8, might be a good time to check these out....

Flit Girl's mom
Re: Never seen the Grinch??!!??
Board: Yakking It Up
Reply to: #58384 by Trekkie Gal
Dec 23, 2006 2:12pm
Thread Board
I believe I have been in the room when my children watched it but I have not watched it or read it. I know how children and adults alike love the Cat in the Hat et. al, but I can hardly bear to watch cartoons. I read lips so cartoons really mess me up.

Eaglewatcher
Re: TAG
Board: Event News and Planning
Reply to: #58441 by The Wolf Family
Dec 23, 2006 3:01pm
Thread Board
Quote Too funny! Hmmm... I wonder how far the drive is from NC to Arkansas...

Was wondering that myself.... ;-)) Maybe us NC'ers could charter a bus - we could yak with each other, hide boxes on the bus, tell the driver where to stop to get drive-by's on the way - just have a grand ol' time!

Mama Fox - who's pratically crazed - spent way too many HOURS at the pediatricians office and they finally decided Baby Fox might have a sinus infection.......At least they gave her some drugs........
Reply to: #58443 by Jenni P McD
Dec 23, 2006 3:11pm
Thread Board
Ahh yes...I should have said "it's hard to take rude and/or hateful criticism."Criticism of art is a given and I didn't phrase that as I should. I do not take it personally or think that judging my art is judging ME....but thanks for pointing it out....as beginners or youngesters may feel that way.

As for the "you're bound by the way they decide to show your art", I ALSO agree. I have had my work exhibited before. I just would like to be asked before my work is re-framed, re-lit, relabeled and moved to another wall. THAT is only common courtesy. Then I at least have the time to make other arrangements.

LW PhD

"Nice Counts"
Reply to: #58448 by The Little Foxes
Dec 23, 2006 3:20pm
Thread Board
Quote Maybe us NC'ers could charter a bus

Poor bus driver would have cooties and wouldn't even know why.

Shiloh
Reply to: #58442 by six stars
Dec 23, 2006 3:30pm
Thread Board
Quote oh, and the sender of the e-mail can find out when you have read your mail, it shows up as read in your sent mail box!

Not necessarily. If emails are forwarded to a person's alternate email address, they show up immediately as read even if the reader hasn't yet read it in their personal email.
Reply to: #58424 by Kirbert
Dec 23, 2006 3:31pm
Thread Board
Quote come to find out that MapQuest has incorrectly labelled one of the Porter Lakes as Little Porter Lake and left the real Little Porter Lake unlabelled.

This is exactlly the kind of thing I was talking about when AQ first added the map feature and is why I personally don't like it.

It's not just Mapquest they all have flaws

Shiloh
Reply to: #58449 by Lock Wench
Dec 23, 2006 3:31pm
Thread Board
Quote I should have said "it's hard to take rude and/or hateful criticism."Criticism of art is a given and I didn't phrase that as I should. I do not take it personally or think that judging my art is judging ME....but thanks for pointing it out....as beginners or youngesters may feel that way.

No problem, and I wasn't really thinking you, specifically, given what I have read in your posts before. I got the feeling you had a good deal of experience in the art world. I think we artist tend to assume (wrongly, myself included) that everyone has that thick artist skin that we have, even though we've been developing it over a career...lol...a lot of times since kindergarten when we were told we shouldn't color outside the lines or that grass shouldn't be pink. :-) For many people in this hobby, carving and planting is the first artistic attempts they've tried since school (if they even HAD art in school, but that's another WHOLE conversation), and I just wanted to point out, mainly to those who may be reading this thread, that criticism is going to happen...it's just a part of life in the creative world. Even when it is hard/hateful/rude, very rarely is it personal to the artist.

Quote I just would like to be asked before my work is re-framed, re-lit, relabeled and moved to another wall. THAT is only common courtesy. Then I at least have the time to make other arrangements.

Then you've had better luck with the galleries you've worked with than I have. :-) Most I've dealt with have a caveat in their contracts that allow them to rehang/redisplay current art as they see fit as previous works move out and new works move in. I'd love to have that front main wall with the great lighting the whole time my art is in a particular gallery, but it doesn't always work that way. However, the artwork IS my property, and I always am sure to retain the right to remove it at any time I feel the relationship between myself and the gallery isn't working. Yes, many galleries work as best they can to accomdate artists, but it's not a given they'll contact me immediately regarding immenient changes. They also have more than one person serving 7000+ artists and customers.

Jenni P McD
Reply to: #58390 by teekasue
Dec 23, 2006 3:47pm
Thread Board
You will never please all people. Please yourself & make a clue you are happy with.

If people are finding the box most of the time- even some of the time- you are doing fine. Politely reply that the box is there, & that they should try again... or try a different box. I have had people suggest how I can improve my clues (I always enjoy that one) which usually happens when they didn't start at the beginning of the clue. I also have people who have MOVED my box to where they "thought" it should be based on their interpretation of the clue (& yet they found it!). Recently it was moved again- although I think it was just because they might have taken it away to box in & forgotten which triple trunked tree they had retrieved it from. I haven't had a chance to move it back yet but hope to over the holidays. Ah, the joys of boxing... :)

Happy Holidays!
The Family
Reply to: #58452 by shiloh
Dec 23, 2006 4:12pm
Thread Board
No kidding about the mapquest flaws. We were following along the preprinted map only to discover the overlays for the interstates and local roads with exits/entrances to them didn't align properly. The local road we were looking for was beyond the road that appeared to be the entrance ramp to the interstate. And of course, the road did not have the local street name on it, just signs pointing to the interstate. Drove past this point and turned around only to see the local sign name on the north bound side of the road we needed. And yes, it was the road that led to the interstate. So we took our best guess and found the way to our destination by using common sense. And my keen sense of direction.

speedsquare
Rose and her Rosary (Italian voodoo :)...lol
Dec 23, 2006 4:20pm
Thread Board
Argghhhh! 50 degrees and sunny in Syracuse. Not usually a problem in Syracuse, NY but I have ABSOLUTELY NO TIME to go boxing! I'm stuck inside wrapping and baking (supervising...as I have bronchitis) and cleaning. *pout*

What I really want for Christmas is just a light dusting of snow to remind me I'm still in Upstate NY. Not an inch, not a half inch..just a dusting. Is that too much to ask?!?!? My father said that my italian grandmother ( Rose) used to hang her rosary over the clothesline and say a novena for the preferred weather change. The whole extended family swears Rose had special power. I miss her so......

LW PhD ( who has a rosary hanging over the clothesline as we speak..couldn't hurt..right?)

"Nice Counts"
Re: Never seen the Grinch??!!??
Reply to: #58384 by Trekkie Gal
Dec 23, 2006 4:26pm
Thread Board
I have seen the Grinch. I have never watched "It's A Wonderful Life" from start to finish to be able to say I have seen it. I know some of the catch phrases about bells and angels and that George was a desperate man and some banker was nasty, but that's about it. I'm just not a moviegoer and if I watch from home I get distracted too easily. And this annoys those who want to watch tv without me talking.

Now the South Park Christmas (er, holiday) episode ... that I have seen every year.
Re: Rose and her Rosary (Italian voodoo :)...lol
Reply to: #58457 by Lock Wench
Dec 23, 2006 4:28pm
Thread Board
I couldn't agree with you more about the desire to have snow! That's one reason I moved from sunny southern California to upstate New York - missed the snow for my 2 years there and couldn't imagine not seeing another white Christmas!

I plan to take advantage of the mild weather and get out for a hike tomorrow morning. I have all the gifts wrapped, cookies baked and am all geared up for Christmas.

My kids have been very successful getting snow days off from school by wearing their underwear and pajamas inside out and backwards and doing a snow dance. I don't think it will work in this case or else I would order them to do it - lol

Hope you're feeling better real quick!

Buggylou
Buying Needles
Board: Stamp Carving and Mounting
Dec 23, 2006 4:29pm
Board
Tonight I was in a Publix grocery store, and there's a pharmacy in the store, so I thought I'd see just how difficult it might be to buy needles. I asked the pharmacist; "No problem, how many do you want?"

Come to find out I'm talking about the needles themselves, he's talking about the entire contraption, what I would call syringe plus needle. Gee, that's buying a lot of stuff just to get the needle. He doesn't carry just the needle (this is not a very serious pharmacy, more of an afterthought within the grocery store). He mumbles that he might be able to order the needles themselves, but I assure him I won't be enough of a customer to make it worthwhile.

It gets worse. They come in packs of ten. So now I'm buying ten syringes to get ten needles, when really all I presumably want is one needle.

Oh, well. How much? Less than two bucks! Holy cow, I had no idea such things were so cheap! Less than twenty cents per needle!

Unfortunately, the first package he pulls out is insulin needles, which are really tiny (31 gauge) and, more importantly, really short. I ask if he's got anything bigger, and he's thinking bigger in terms of how many cc's the syringe holds, so we go round and round a while getting to the size of the needle itself.

Turns out the biggest needle he's got is a 23 gauge -- which is handy, because I happen to remember that I have 19 gauge and 25 gauge, but no 23. What's more, this is the only one he sells individually rather than a package of ten. So I tell him I'll buy one. He fiddles around a while, can't find a price, so he just charges me a dime.

It takes three seconds with the cutoff wheel in the Dremel to lop the needle off the rest of the syringe. It's a bit shorter than I'd like, but it'll work. Note to self: from now on, check to see what length needles are available before purchasing.

I may drop into an actual pharmacy sometime just to see if the selection improves. I suspect I'd have to drop into a horse clinic to get a really big needle.
Reply to: #58457 by Lock Wench
Dec 23, 2006 4:39pm
Thread Board
Quote ( who has a rosary hanging over the clothesline as we speak..couldn't hurt..right?)

Hey...never doubt the power of prayer! :-> I'm not sure which Saint would appy in this instance though....

Jude?
Reply to: #58461 by Jenni P McD
Dec 23, 2006 4:47pm
Thread Board
Saint Nick, of course!
Re: Antarctica
Board: Suggestion Box
Reply to: #58431 by frankie and benjy
Dec 23, 2006 4:51pm
Thread Board
Quote Thanks to all for the info and offers of help to find the lat/long.

It'd be handy to have exact coordinates, but really for the purposes of listing the locations on AQ you could probably just pick some rough coordinates off a map for each of the various landmarks and research stations in Antarctica. I don't think any of them are particularly close to one another!

I wanna hear all about how the rubber holds up under these conditions -- presuming the box is hidden outdoors.

A geocache in Antarctica might be even more fun. I'd plant it an hour's hike away from a facility and put a big flag on a stick to mark it.
Reply to: #58448 by The Little Foxes
Dec 23, 2006 4:54pm
Thread Board
Quote Mama Fox - who's pratically crazed - spent way too many HOURS at the pediatricians office

*Knit Wit waving madly at a crazed Mama Fox*

I was in the doctor's office with my youngest today too--only we were 12 hours from home in Louisiana!

Why the heck do they wait til you're so far from their doctors to develop strep...

Knit Wit
Reply to: #58434 by Electric City Four
Dec 23, 2006 4:56pm
Thread Board
Quote I found out the hard way about asking for more info on a clue.

Then there was the letterboxer who, on the hunt for one of my boxes, whipped out his cell phone and called me up!
Re: Mini Meet?
Board: State: Maine
Reply to: #56723 by Dewdrop
Dec 23, 2006 5:02pm
Thread Board
Well, I know what your face looks like, but I would still love to come down for a mini-meet! You know me, Ms. FLexible...Let me know adn I will drag the family along too
Re: Mini Meet?
Board: State: Maine
Reply to: #56952 by Dewdrop
Dec 23, 2006 5:05pm
Thread Board
The TH house is closed up and I would squat there if it weren't for the no plumbing thing! We have friends in the area we could stay with or we could stay at a hotel. Sean would LOVE it. DO you have any idea of what is open in Rockland this time of year?

Lisa
Re: Thanks to ALL
Board: Virtuals
Reply to: #58423 by Mango Minstrels
Dec 23, 2006 5:06pm
Thread Board
Merry Christmas, Mango.
Reply to: #58451 by Janila
Dec 23, 2006 5:09pm
Thread Board
thanks for that info...nice to know!!!

teekasue
Re: bumpy logbook pages dilemma
Board: Logbook Logistics
Reply to: #58364 by Amanda from Seattle
Dec 23, 2006 5:10pm
Thread Board
I have used a glue stick also, and although only recently, I found that I really like how the log books look when made with it verses a "wet" glue. WEt glues "warp" the covers and pages. I am very pleased with the results glue stick.

LtW
Reply to: #58462 by mstrwndl
Dec 23, 2006 5:13pm
Thread Board
LOL...but of course! :-) How silly of me!
Heros (no spoilers, safe to read)
Board: Television: After the Show Ends
Dec 23, 2006 5:13pm
Thread Board
Just FYI, for the ones who may have missed them, or the miserably addicted... you may want to block Wed, Dec 27 7pm until 11pm out on your social calendar... or preset your tivo/dvd/vcr...

Seven Minutes to Midnight Wed, Dec 27 7:00 PM SCI-FI
Homecoming Wed, Dec 27 8:00 PM SCI-FI
Six Months Ago Wed, Dec 27 9:00 PM SCI-FI
Fallout Wed, Dec 27 10:00 PM SCI-FI