Skip to Content
Register · Login
About Theme

A Letterboxing Community

Search

Read Messages

Re: Welcome to the Get your T-shirts! Patches! Other Paraphernalia! board!
Board: T-shirts! Patches! Paraphernalia!
Reply to: #51499 by Green Tortuga
Nov 19, 2006 2:19pm
Thread Board
Wow! Ryan, you are way too responsive to problems. How do you do that so fast? I can't get my IT guy at work to even acknowledge there's a problem for days. You fix stuff immediately. Awesome.
Chickadee
Re: Park/Urban box question
Board: Traditional Letterboxes
Reply to: #51509 by ervetchick
Nov 19, 2006 2:20pm
Thread Board
Quote After driving through Leicester, NC, I don't believe there is any area there that I would classify as urban! ;)

Really!!!??? Maybe if you lived in Leicester...... :-))

Quote Mama Fox,
I think I know exactly where you are talking about.

Oh, no, you're psychic!!!! :-)) It's on Merrimon - are we in the same place??

Probably going on a cold windy Sunday is not the best time to judge the crowds an area might get in - say - the summer during ball season... ;-)) And after thinking on it, the places I thought might work, would probably be so covered in brush and weeds in the summer, it would be impossible to find a box without attracting too much unwanted attention... HOwever, I'll keep an eye on it - it was just a nice surprise to find a hidden stream and bridge and walking path in the busy-ness of North Asheville ;-))

Mama Fox
Reply to: #51518 by The Little Foxes
Nov 19, 2006 2:24pm
Thread Board
Nope, I actually thought you were talking about Leicester. Leicester doesn't go all the way to Merrimon, silly! I thought you were thinking of Leicester Community Park.
Silly meeeee
=)
ervetchick
Re: softball
Board: Sports Emporium
Reply to: #51386 by sparkler
Nov 19, 2006 2:31pm
Thread Board
do you play tournament (travel) ball ??
what age group...or is it an adult league?

dixie
Re: Gathering??
Board: State: North Carolina
Reply to: #51515 by Jolly Roger and Chickadee
Nov 19, 2006 2:32pm
Thread Board
Quote I'd love to show up, but I always seem to get a cold when there's a gather. Since you're talking winter-time in the mountains, I suggest having a snow-date in place when you post the gather. I've had my flu shot, and I have my cold already (curse Dr. Wing for coming to work sick)--so I'll try to be there.
Chickadee

Yeah, the snow possibility is always there - sigh. I'm one of these people who absolutely abhors winter, and I'm always trying to think of things to do to "get me through" the season. It's also an "anti-relative" move - spending time doing something fun, to recover from spending the holidays with the relatives ;-))

Well, I'll keep it in the back of my mind - maybe even just a coffee shop gather for an afternoon....

re: flu shots - I took my kids yesterday. I didn't tell them where we were going, as my son gets hysterical, and it would have been an ugly sight, me dragging a screaming, thrashing, 50 lb 7 year old into the office. We were waiting in the line at the pediatricians office and my kids finally said "Why are we here?" (they are both rather naive...). I said "It's free lollipop day." When the nurse asked their names, my son said "why did you have to tell her our names?" "To get your free lollipop." When we were finally back in the room, I had to break the news, that while they *were* getting a free lollipop, it was also flu shot day. The ugliness ensued......and it was bad. But, they both agreed that having the shot was not near as bad as they had thought and next year there would be no screaming, thrashing and crying.

Yeah, right...... I'll settle for no screaming and thrashing..........

Mama Fox, Bad Mama of the Year.
Reply to: #51519 by ervetchick
Nov 19, 2006 2:35pm
Thread Board
Quote Nope, I actually thought you were talking about Leicester. Leicester doesn't go all the way to Merrimon, silly!

IT DOESN'T?????

*reeling back from the shock*

Maybe it should!!

I was in Weaver Park (behind the former Boston Pizza).

Oh, and thanks to you and Wolf Mama for your defination of Urban Box - that's kinda what I thought, just wanted to be on the same page as everyone else!

Ok, here's another one - if you had a box in a store in a very rural area (say, Leicester ;-)), would that be classified as Urban?

Mama Fox
Inkpads
Board: Tools of the Trade
Nov 19, 2006 2:36pm
Thread Board
For those of you in the Northern Climates who don't pull their boxes in the winter, do you leave your stamp pads in them or pull them out of the box for the freezing months? None of my boxes have been through a winter yet, and I'm not sure how the stamp pad will fare.
Reply to: #51522 by The Little Foxes
Nov 19, 2006 2:38pm
Thread Board
Lemme guess which of the 3 stores you would put it at. Hmm, one at The Grill might be good.. mmmm
Re: Gathering??
Reply to: #51501 by The Little Foxes
Nov 19, 2006 2:39pm
Thread Board
Quote I was sorta wishing we were having a "Ban the Winter Blahs" thing in WNC near the end of January - but that means I'd have to plan and coordinate it, right....... Anyone up for it??

are you kidding me?
to me...this is the perfect time.
these gatherings that are popping up in March...
I can't plan anything for March...that is ball season again.
we will start playing again about the end of february if all goes well.

i know it's cold but for me January and Februaury would be the perfect time to do something that was aimed more at getting exchanges, travelers and maybe doind some carving tips and drive bys. I missed almost everyone's PTs last time cause I had my mind to clogged and busy to think about them. ;)

I would even be up for one near charlotte around that time or around here.
now that softball is over...I would have much more time to do clue books etc. which I ran out of time for at the mtn. mystery event.

dixie
Re: Taking it home
Reply to: #51484 by Jenni P McD
Nov 19, 2006 2:44pm
Thread Board
QuoteBoxing with me is addictive. I ALWAYS make it memorable.

He must, since I still remember my boxing experience with Eidolon and Artemis... though I don't believe anything happened to us that day.....

Music Woman
Re: Inkpads
Reply to: #51523 by Jaxx
Nov 19, 2006 2:51pm
Thread Board
My Pine Point (Stonington, CT) box ink pad has been through 2 winters already & seems to be holding up just fine. As long as the container is tight, & it's not getting waterlogged you should be fine!
Reply to: #51391 by Wyvern
Nov 19, 2006 2:59pm
Thread Board
I don't think you should take it unless absolutely necessary and then it should be returned to the proper place ASAP...

moving a box to a different location is different than taking it with you to make a repair or to prevent someone from seeing you return it.

I took one...on one occassion because the stamp was broken in half. I took it back to the motel room with me (it was late at night) found some stuff to back it with for support and I returned it first thing in the morning. I returned to it's exact and correct location.

moving abox to a different location without permission should not be done.
if you do it think...oh, well, if the planter doesn't like my new hiding place and change the clues they can put it back...
that just opens up lots of possible problems...
the planter could not be local or the planter may not get your info as to the new spot and the box could be lost forever.

I felt weird about taking that box that time but it needed lots of work and drying time...
plus it being late at night i knew i could get it back out in the morning before anyone else was gonna come looking.
Flu shots was Re: Gathering??
Reply to: #51521 by The Little Foxes
Nov 19, 2006 3:00pm
Thread Board
Quote re: flu shots - I took my kids yesterday. I didn't tell them where we were going, as my son gets hysterical...

Oh, I understand that your children are different, but I had to smile when I thought about how I presented flu shots to my sons...

Oh, I'm a very sick mother (3 boys have long crushed out the last bit of sanity)-- I make it out much, much worse than it will ever be:

Boys: So is it going to hurt?
Me: With any luck! It wouldn't be any fun for me if I didn't get to see you scream.

Boys: No really...
Me: Oh, blood everywhere, horrible!

Boys: Come on, Mom!
Me: You'll scream like a little girl, you wait and see! *feigning crying and whining*

Boys: No, we won't!
Me: Oh, yes, you will.

Boys: No, we won't!!!
Me: Oh, yes, and Ben is going to be the first one to break down sobbing!

Ben: No, way!!! It will Vincent!
Vincent: Not me-- Alex!
Alex: Oh, it won't bother me-- I won't cry!

Me: Oh, I'm making sure you get the extra big needle! The one as big as my arm! They have to beat it in your arm with a baseball bat!

Boys: They don't come that big!
Me: Oh, you can all come in and we shall see who cries first!

They are so wound up and angry at me by the time they go in there (as well as staring at each other to see who is going to cry first), they never say a peep and then come out saying, "SEE!! WE TOLD YOU WE WOULDN'T SCREAM!! IT DIDN'T EVEN HURT!!"

MUHAHAHAHAHA!!
Mama Wolf, the really bad mama of the year.
Reply to: #51391 by Wyvern
Nov 19, 2006 3:08pm
Thread Board
This is fairly simple......
The Letterbox is going to be placed back EXACTLY where it was taken from. It is NOT moved, just ABSENT. It is guarding a box rather than someone deciding that a better location is needed.

-Wink
Reply to: #51529 by The Wolf Family
Nov 19, 2006 3:11pm
Thread Board
If **THAT** doesn't sound like how I was brought up <ahem zoemomma>, then I don't know what does!!!! I think perhaps you and zoemomma wrote the parenting book together?
Free lollipop day, NOT A CHANCE...only for the weak <hee hee>

ervetchick
Nov 19, 2006 3:18pm
Thread Board
I have one just north of Traverse City that has made it through four Michigan winters now and it has done just fine.

Webfoot
Reply to: #51526 by Bungalow Boxer
Nov 19, 2006 3:28pm
Thread Board
Quote He must, since I still remember my boxing experience with Eidolon and Artemis... though I don't believe anything happened to us that day.....

WHAT?!? You already forgot about our yet-to-be invented umbrella boxing hat with a light, propeller to cool your head and a mosquito net?
Holiday Boxes
Board: State: New York
Nov 19, 2006 3:32pm
Thread Board
Both "Under the Mistletoe" and " I Love Christmas Cookies!" are back in place for the holidays. These are especially fun to get right after "Lights on the Lake" in Liverpool, NY. So pack up the kids, the thermoses of hot chocolate and your boxing gear and make a night of it!

LW PhD
Re: Holiday Boxes
Reply to: #51534 by Lock Wench
Nov 19, 2006 3:35pm
Thread Board
Ooooo....Christmas lights are part of my favorite season, when do they open the lights on the lake?
Nov 19, 2006 3:35pm
Thread Board
I am in Syracuse, NY and we have heavy duty winters here....tons of snow and bitter windchills. I have had mixed success with ink pads over the winters, and 85% of my boxes are Lock n Locks. But the ones that failed made such a mess that I vowed never to leave ink in them again over the winter. They cracked, swelled, and melted...leaving ink all over everything. In fact, I don't put ink in ANY of my boxes anymore.

LW PhD
Reply to: #51535 by CathCainGwen
Nov 19, 2006 3:37pm
Thread Board
I think they are running now. When I drove by they were already lit! Someone told me you are allowed to WALK through them on Monday nights for free. But I think the lights are oh so much prettier when they are reflecting off of the snow.....

LW PhD
Reply to: #51536 by Lock Wench
Nov 19, 2006 3:38pm
Thread Board
I don't put inkpads in my boxes anymore either. Most folks carry inkpads or markers with them.....one less expense and thing to worry about.
Z
Re: My latest "adult" image
Reply to: #51452 by Lock Wench
Nov 19, 2006 3:41pm
Thread Board
Quote Ok..my latest "adult" image has now been launched. Those of you who are into 'pin-up" images or other such quirky things..it's time to pull out the "special" logbook you keep hidden for just "those" type of images.

The latest is called Butcher Girl. Enjoy....

To all those who keep asking me about this stamp...it was a GIFT to Karensport, so you have to track HER down to find out what she did with it!!!

LW PhD
Reply to: #51531 by ervetchick
Nov 19, 2006 3:43pm
Thread Board
If **THAT** doesn't sound like how I was brought up <ahem zoemomma>, then I don't know what does!!!! I think perhaps you and zoemomma wrote the parenting book together?
Free lollipop day, NOT A CHANCE...only for the weak <hee hee>

ervetchick

Hmmmm...I resemble that remark....and right proud I raised kids who are pretty tough of character!!!
Z
Reply to: #51529 by The Wolf Family
Nov 19, 2006 3:45pm
Thread Board
Quote They are so wound up and angry at me by the time they go in there (as well as staring at each other to see who is going to cry first), they never say a peep and then come out saying, "SEE!! WE TOLD YOU WE WOULDN'T SCREAM!! IT DIDN'T EVEN HURT!!"

MUHAHAHAHAHA!!
Mama Wolf, the really bad mama of the year.

This is hysterical!! Maybe they will make a sitcom out of your family! I can so see three boys staring at each other to see who's going to break first!!

My son has had this major doctor phobia since he was 4, and they held him down to do his last immunizations. It was horrible, and I'm pretty tough about these things. For over a year afterward, he would not even be in a room with a "doctor show" on TV (ER, M*A*S*H, anything remotely medical looking). He would literally run out of the room if a doctor scene came on TV.

The worst part was about 3 months after the shot incident, and our clothes washer had broken. So we are washer-less, I have a 4 yo and a 1 yo and no washer. Lovely. So I researched it, decided what washer I wanted, hubby gave me the money, and I went to Sears to buy the thing, and set up delivery. We go upstairs where the appliances are, in full view of that huge bank of TVs...... and a doctor scene comes on. He's hysterical. We leave. I try three times to get him back in the appliance department (just long enough to throw money at the salesman, and give him my address for delivery!) and it never works. Hysterics. Screaming. Lying on the floor in hysterics and screaming. People staring. People glaring..... I had to drive him home, leave him with dad, and come back to get the @#$&)(*#@ washer. An hour round trip.......

He's better now - he will walk into a doctor's office without hysterics (if I put him in a headlock - kidding!!), but the shot thing....... he's had flu mist the past two years. But he did ok (for him!!!) and has promised to be better next year.

Life with a "non-typical" kid is always an adventure.

Have I mentioned that his first year of public school he refused to enter the auditorium, and his first two years he refused to go to the bathrooms with stalls....... it's always something ;-))

Mama Fox - on the thin line between sanity and.......
Reply to: #51537 by Lock Wench
Nov 19, 2006 4:00pm
Thread Board
won't be long, it was falling tonight
Reply to: #51538 by zoemomma
Nov 19, 2006 4:26pm
Thread Board
I've never even seen a box that had ink in it...so it's a good thing I took ink with me the first time I went boxing!

night writer
Re: Two Guys...
Board: Funny Pages
Reply to: #51493 by Green Tortuga
Nov 19, 2006 4:33pm
Thread Board
two staplers walk into a bar.
the bartender says, we don't serve staplers in here, you'll have to leave.
the staplers say, but we've had a really hard day at work, and we really need a drink before we go home.
The bartender says, yeah? where do you guys work?
the staplers say...office max

night writer

next: shih tzu puppies
Reply to: #51542 by CathCainGwen
Nov 19, 2006 4:37pm
Thread Board
where is snow? we dont have ti yet, though its cold enough.
i want to go walking in the first snow fall, i didnt get to before i was sleeping for teh first snow during the storm....sad...
i want snow so i can have a picturesque gilmore girls moment...
pout...cq-make teh snow fall

kitten without mittens
Reply to: #51545 by kitten without mittens
Nov 19, 2006 4:42pm
Thread Board
It wasn't the pretty stuff, just the little wet flakes, more like heavy rain and it was in Glimmerglass when we did lisascenic's Nature at the Opera, in Ilion when we did Karensport's Stairway series and in Whitesboro when we did LockWench's Utica Curling Club.....I like the pretty stuff too, but only when I don't have to drive in it! Curled up in front of the window with hot chocolate and a good book watching it! Catherine