A Letterboxing Community

Search

Read Messages

Re: Happy Cake Day!!!
Board: Look at Me! Look At You!
Reply to: #501932 by Goofy girl
Mar 30, 2010 12:11pm
Thread Board
Thanks for the fun party!! You always know how to have a good time. :)
~Tiger Pride
Re: Costly Box
Board: Letterbox Chatter
Reply to: #502006 by knit wit
Mar 30, 2010 12:16pm
Thread Board
There are some intersections around here where I don't feel comfortable myself making that right--visibility issues and higher speeds on the roads and what-have-you.

It's just like unprotected lefts. Some people aren't comfortable, some people have terrible depth-perception. It happens. It does annoy me being behind them, but it's not the end of the world.

However, there was an intersection at home in California where people felt perfectly comfortable ignoring the "No Right Turn on Red" sign. It was onto a road with 4 lanes in each direction, with a posted speed limit of 50 mph (so obviously people were often going 60+), with a hill to your left as you sat waiting to make your right turn. Doing *that* could be the end of your world, and I never understood why so many people felt the need to do it.
Re: So Glad
Board: Weight Watching Boxers
Reply to: #501870 by Green Tortuga
Mar 30, 2010 12:16pm
Thread Board
thanks Ryan. Every bit of support helps!!!
Re: what is a "mystery box"?
Board: Letterboxing Help Desk
Reply to: #501989 by TheTealRabbit
Mar 30, 2010 12:17pm
Thread Board
This website has a tutorial and a glossary of terms. There is also another helpful site located at http://www.letterboxing.info that also has a very useful glossary and a section on "getting started".

MM
Re: Hello California!!
Board: State: California
Reply to: #502010 by Shoafsters
Mar 30, 2010 12:18pm
Thread Board
We don't know where we're going yet. We should find out any day now. Feel free to AQ message me about anything. I'll do my best to answer whatever questions you have. Do you know what your husband will be doing at Edwards?
~DisneyFreak1101
Re: DWTS
Board: Television: After the Show Ends
Reply to: #501939 by Oliver and Company
Mar 30, 2010 12:21pm
Thread Board
Buzz should be the first to go, but he won't. He'll be there for at least a few weeks. I feel bad for Kate. I thought she would've been better. I can't believe that Nicole got two 10s on the second week. Has that ever happened before??
Re: Spring Break!
Board: State: Ohio
Reply to: #501973 by Mn8X
Mar 30, 2010 12:33pm
Thread Board
That's so awesome! I thought about planting a box in Naples, Italy, but I never got time to actually do it.
Spring Break!
Board: State: Ohio
Mar 30, 2010 12:37pm
Board
Geesh MN8X when you take a trip...you take a TRIP! Good for you!
Re: typos!
Board: Atlas Quest Announcements
Reply to: #499192 by fearlesscolon
Mar 30, 2010 12:39pm
Thread Board
I suspect a unance is a typo error, disguising itself as a nuance.
Re: Glitch?
Board: Virtuals
Reply to: #501942 by Bobguyman
Mar 30, 2010 1:09pm
Thread Board
I went back later and noticed it had not changed back to unavailable and I tried to change it to unavailable just as I had before... Still isn't working... Can we fix this?

Sorry 'bout that. Should be working now!

-- Ryan
Carne Machaca Recipe
Board: Food For Thought
Mar 30, 2010 1:09pm
Thread Board
Does anyone have a authentic and tried recipe for Carne Machaca or fajita meat? Also looking for a recipe on how to make tamales...
Planning a Mexican party and would love authentic recipes.. My favorite food in the world!

thanks
humngbrdwchr
Another "new" rule....
Mar 30, 2010 1:11pm
Thread Board
Just in case it's not obvious, no, it is not okay to use the same image over and over again in your virtuals. While I realize that I may have never stated this as an official rule in the past, I thought it was pretty obvious that the intent was that each virtual gets a different image as a "prize."

-- Ryan
Re: The newest little NEknitter
Board: State: Massachusetts
Reply to: #501737 by neknitter
Mar 30, 2010 1:17pm
Thread Board
WOOHOO!!!!! Congrats!!!!!

-OrbitalMom
Re: Hockanum flood
Board: State: Connecticut
Reply to: #502007 by Datura
Mar 30, 2010 1:19pm
Thread Board
*Ahem* There is another high school right nextdoor to East Catholic... even closer to the Hockanum. ;)

Yes, agreed, it's crazy!
Tracker - Last Call
Board: LTC: Trades and Trackers
Mar 30, 2010 1:24pm
Board
John Denver and Songs ---

http://www.atlasquest.com/showinfo.html?gTrackerId=4183

My card is done and ready (pretty good if I do say so myself) and I have one other card (very neat!!).

There are 5 openings for anyone else wanting to create a card representing any John Denver song.

Tracker will only be open another day or two and then it will be closed. That way all participants know how many cards will be in the completed swap.

I can't wait to see everyone's creations.
Gillespie Tribe and those who have made babyfood
Mar 30, 2010 1:27pm
Thread Board
can you cook down fruit in your crockpot or what did you do for fruit?

GG
Re: Costly Box - WI twists on traffic issues
Reply to: #502005 by deniserows
Mar 30, 2010 1:28pm
Thread Board
WHAT is this Red Light everyone is speaking of?

In WI, you can have a green light at an intersection, but the right turn may have a stop sign - and yes, you must stop at the sign.

Also, in WI the drivers routinely pass on the right shoulder on county highways, such as when the driver ahead is stopped for a left turn. Um, in IL I did that to get to an exit and got a hefty fine.

- Sunny
Re: Costly Box - WI twists on traffic issues
Reply to: #502049 by Sunny Side Up
Mar 30, 2010 1:31pm
Thread Board
WHAT is this Red Light everyone is speaking of?

There is a whole district in Anchorage right of Spenard Road. Seriously! I remember once when I was little and my mom took a short cut through that neighborhood and I asked her why the houses had red lights....
I don't remember what her answer was. Needless to say, when we visit, I don't take my son through the area because I have no idea what I would say either! :)
Re: Filled logbooks
Board: Stupider Questions About Letterboxing
Reply to: #501700 by bluebirdlover
Mar 30, 2010 1:34pm
Thread Board
I am sort of new to letterboxing to. I started with one logbook with about 60 pages. Then it got full so I just started carrying loose pages for that book. I find it easier to just carry loose pages now and worry about the books later. I tried to put them all in one book at 100 finds...but it was too fat for the binding. I then broke up the book into 4 sections. I decided the state(AZ) should have 4 basic area's. NW, SW , NE, and SE all based from Phoenix as a center. I then put tabs in each book for which city they were in or closest to for quick reference. So far zero of the 4 books are full. They just sit on my desk at home and I add pages to them as I make finds. I guess they will go on a bookshelf someday when they are full. I think of them like they are my photo albums. It's nice to pull them out and look at them a few times a year but why carry them everywhere I go.
Re: Gillespie Tribe and those who have made babyfood
Reply to: #502048 by Goofy girl
Mar 30, 2010 1:36pm
Thread Board
can you cook down fruit in your crockpot or what did you do for fruit?

If the fruit is really ripe and soft, just mash it with a fork. Banana, plum, peaches. Homemade applesauce is as easy as some cut up apple with a bit of water in a pot on the stove until it is soft and then puree it.

I also used the first feeder for fruit. It's a little mesh bag on a handle. For teething, you can freeze the fruit first - to help with sore gums.

Our Ped. recommended holding off on citrus fruits until after a year. And I've also heard to give vegetables before fruit because once the little one has the sweeter food, then the not so sweet one is harder to them.

light travelers
(who only bought baby food one time and then he wouldn't eat it!) :)
Reply to: #502048 by Goofy girl
Mar 30, 2010 1:40pm
Thread Board
I either served it raw, steamed it briefly, or if it was frozen fruit I'd cover with water in a glass bowl and nuke it for 20 seconds before using. The less you cook it, the more nutritious it is.
Oh, thick smoothies are awesome too! Frozen and/or fresh fruit, coconut milk and/or hemp milk. Yummy.
Reply to: #502053 by Light Travelers
Mar 30, 2010 1:45pm
Thread Board
Oh the ped. we use said they are making changes and are saying to do meats first then veggies and then fruit but I already had the veggies done so we started with those.

They are also stating that we can start on eggs at 6 months, and peanut butter I plan to wait on the peanut butter.

GG
Reply to: #502054 by veganf and the Dolphins
Mar 30, 2010 1:46pm
Thread Board
Yes that's true less cooking more nutritious.

Thanks,

GG
Shrinky Dinks
Board: Tools of the Trade
Mar 30, 2010 1:49pm
Thread Board
Does anyone know of a way to seal shrinky dinks? I used Tombow markers to stamp the image on, and everything shrank fine, but they blur if I touch the image. Is there something I can put over it all to stop the blurring?
Thanks.
--CC
Re: Another "new" rule....
Reply to: #502039 by Green Tortuga
Mar 30, 2010 1:50pm
Thread Board
crap I will never remember that one...

GG ; )
What kind of box..
Mar 30, 2010 2:02pm
Thread Board
do you have if finding another, traditional box is a prequestiste to understanding the clue to the box in question?

Bonus box? Other?

Thanks!

Cubbie Bear
Do all boxes of a series need to be in the same park?
Mar 30, 2010 2:06pm
Thread Board
I have what I would consider to be a series (or maybe "theme" is a better word for it). The stamps are all similar in story and image, yet still different. Each one it planted in a different park/city/etc.. Since they are all along the same "theme", would they be considered a series? Or is the term "series" reserved only for a group of boxes in the same area? Thanks!

~pjynx
Re: Ity bity cooties!
Board: Hitchhikers, Cooties, and Fleas
Reply to: #501927 by Tri-Colored Paws
Mar 30, 2010 2:09pm
Thread Board
In postals...not really unless you know for sure that the person you are sending to likes them. For the purpose of moving them...just make sure that the receiver wants them. Goofy Girl and myself often send cooties to each other when they need to be re-located (as in "I have already had this cootie 5 times").

Medic
Re: Shrinky Dinks
Reply to: #502057 by Celtic Cross
Mar 30, 2010 2:13pm
Thread Board
I've seen 2 different kinds of shrinky dinks. One of them is clear and both sides are slick. The other of them has a rougher, cloudy side on it and the other side is slick. The cloudy, rough side is for markers, pencils, etc.

So, did you use the right kind of shrinky dinks and did you stamp on the correct side of them?

I've never had any luck with the clear slick kind. But I'm not an expert, I could be using the wrong type of markers on it.
Re: Shrinky Dinks
Reply to: #502057 by Celtic Cross
Mar 30, 2010 2:24pm
Thread Board
I've used an acrylic spray sealer (from the craft store) and they were fine.