Thread Board
I think Niecy is doing a great job.
Her personality cracks me up!
Re: Duct tape pouch
Board: Tools of the Trade
Reply to: #501925 by J A K
Mar 30, 2010 10:11am
Thread Board
I am unable to locate 2 qt (1/2 gal) ziplock baggies... are the instructions incorrect? If not where does one find 1/2 baggies?
Re: And AQ member #40,000 is.......
Board: Atlas Quest Announcements
Reply to: #501990 by JerseyTrailblazers
Mar 30, 2010 10:11am
Board
Wow. 40,000. Who'd'a thunk?!
Re: Costly Box
Board: Letterbox Chatter
Reply to: #501986 by OhanaTribe
Mar 30, 2010 10:13am
Thread Board
Found this which says California and NYC have a solid no-turning policy with rare exceptions.

I grew up and learned to drive in California, and I can definitely assure you--right on red is allowed unless there's a sign prohibiting it. And why would they have signs prohibiting it at certain intersections if it was actually illegal at all intersections already? Can't speak for NYC, though, but I'm not sure it would make much of a difference there. The couple of times I've been there, I've been scared for my life--and it wasn't because the taxis were turning right on red!

-- Ryan
Re: Comment Date
Board: Suggestion Box
Reply to: #501943 by Kirbert
Mar 30, 2010 10:17am
Thread Board
Simple fix - delete that comment.
Re: Newest Rachluabster is born!
Board: State: Tennessee
Reply to: #501956 by Rowdy Rodeo Roosters
Mar 30, 2010 10:20am
Thread Board
Congrats to the family!! Glad all went well :-)

Nanni
Mar 30, 2010 10:20am
Thread Board
About School buses turning on Red...
It really depends on the School bus companies. Some allow turns on Red and some say you can't.
It's just safer if you don't turn right on Red.

Sally-O
Re: Spring Break!
Board: State: Ohio
Reply to: #501973 by Mn8X
Mar 30, 2010 10:23am
Thread Board
awww - I should have sent you some coins to squish in those countries! Coins before the euro.
Reply to: #501959 by Seagull
Mar 30, 2010 10:24am
Thread Board
Michigan is particularly agreeable - we even allow left-on-red if it's onto a one-way street. Many states allow left-on-red onto a one-way if it's FROM a one-way, but we even get to do it coming from a two-way. You really get odd looks from drivers around you though, because this law isn't that well known.
Reply to: #501977 by Goofy girl
Mar 30, 2010 10:26am
Thread Board
but in my town we do have one light that says "No right on red"

WHAT is this Red Light everyone is speaking of?

deniserows
in a town with NO traffic lights.
Mar 30, 2010 10:30am
Thread Board
What gets me about the whole "right turn on red" issue is that the law states the turns are allowed to, not that you have to turn right on red.

As annoying as I find it to be behind someone who doesn't choose to turn right on red when they could, it annoys me more to be behind someone else who *honks* at the person who doesn't wish to turn. It's all about comfort zones. There are some intersections around here where I don't feel comfortable myself making that right--visibility issues and higher speeds on the roads and what-have-you.

Yes, all the buses in Buncombe County, NC, must stop at railroad tracks and are not allowed to turn right on red. They also aren't allowed to go faster than 45-50 on the highways, I believe.

Knit Wit
Hockanum flood
Board: State: Connecticut
Mar 30, 2010 10:39am
Thread Board
For those of you living or boxing in Manchester- have you seen the flooding of the Hockanum River by East Cahtolic HS? I have never seen it flood like this! The boxes that are there are completely submerged! I mean, it's almost rising to the road!
Reply to: #502006 by knit wit
Mar 30, 2010 10:44am
Thread Board
I don't feel comfortable myself making that right-

that would be crimsophobia you are experiencing.

We may not be able to buy beer on Sundays but we can turn left on red when it's a one-way to a one-way.
Reply to: #502008 by speedsquare
Mar 30, 2010 10:49am
Thread Board
We may not be able to buy beer on Sundays

And why would you want beer on Sundays?

GG
***preacher's daughter in law***
Re: Hello California!!
Board: State: California
Reply to: #501883 by DisneyFreak1101
Mar 30, 2010 10:51am
Thread Board
I may have to take you up on information. My husband will be new to the USAF and so obviously we will be new to military life and all the ins and outs. We have no clue where we will be living yet, whether on or off base. Where are you heading to?
Reply to: #502008 by speedsquare
Mar 30, 2010 10:52am
Thread Board
I love being able to turn left on red an one-way streets. I feel like such a rebel! ;-)
Reply to: #502009 by Goofy girl
Mar 30, 2010 10:56am
Thread Board
And why would you want beer on Sundays?

Maybe to make it through the sermon.

GJ
Reply to: #501992 by wassamatta u
Mar 30, 2010 11:11am
Thread Board
I scanned the article quickly and yep, I did misread it -- my goof. That's what I get for deciding to forgo the coffee today!

~OTribe
*who will no longer attempt to speed read without her a cuppa joe first*
Re: Comment Date
Board: Suggestion Box
Reply to: #501943 by Kirbert
Mar 30, 2010 11:12am
Thread Board
Shouldn't the comment fit among the list of comments in the same order as the find? With the same date?

Not necessarily. People can type anything they want as the find date. If someone comes along months after the actual find, there's nothing that guarantees they'll type in the actual find date and not let it just default to today's date. Then how am I supposed to sort it? It doesn't really matter how the list gets sorted--there's absolutely no way I can insure that the comments are ordered in the same order that the boxes were found.

Since so many people have agreed with you, I've gone ahead and changed the code to record the "post date" so it's the same as the "find date," but you're just trading one problem for another. The way it is now, you can't be sure what order the comments were listed (which you could before), but you still can't be sure that they're listed in the same order that people actually found the boxes. There's nothing I can do to guarantee that.

If you feel like a comment is misleading because it's out of order or incorrect, I'd just delete the comment and be done with it.

-- Ryan
Reply to: #502012 by GreenJello
Mar 30, 2010 11:14am
Thread Board
Maybe to make it through the sermon.

Depends on who's preaching at our church. Sometimes I just need a pillow. LOL
Re: Spring Break!
Board: State: Ohio
Reply to: #502003 by speedsquare
Mar 30, 2010 11:23am
Thread Board
Yea. We spent a lot of Euro's on smushing machines. Here it usually cost .51 cents to make one. Over there it cost anywhere from 1.35 to 2.75 each! Not to mention the cost for whatever attraction the machine was in. (Like getting to the top of a tower, or inside a castle, or to pay for a spot in a parking garage so you could wander around the old town square looking in every nook and cranny for the machine only to find the little shop closed for the day or season!!)
In the Czech Republic they actually had little slugs that you squished instead of real currancy. They were kept in a little cup on top of the machine. Luckily, I thought they were cute so I grabbed a couple of extras, because the next machine we went to had an empty cup.
And 90% of them were hand cranked! 10 turns around, every time! And Jim just stood there and watched me. :)
There were some I couldn't get because it wasn't tourist season quite yet. I'm hoping I can put in a request on the website and someone can get them for me.
Reply to: #501959 by Seagull
Mar 30, 2010 11:26am
Thread Board
Texas doesn't have a right on red law?I wonder which states do. It could be confusing to travelers.We have right on red here in Maine.

Right on red is usually allowed unless posted or its a red arrow, but you do have to stop! Right now the departments are hurting for money so there's a lot of "silly" tickets going around. Watch out for cameras too, quite a bit of those going up for speeders and red light runners.
Re: When cheese racing goes wrong
Board: Off Topic, Wildly
Reply to: #501865 by Green Tortuga
Mar 30, 2010 11:49am
Thread Board
OMG... it looks like WASSA!!!!

Wendy
Reply to: #502018 by Wendy
Mar 30, 2010 11:51am
Thread Board
OMG... it looks like WASSA!!!!

The resemblance is purely coincidental, I assure you. *whistling nonchalantly*
Re: Hello California!!
Board: State: California
Reply to: #501872 by Shoafsters
Mar 30, 2010 11:53am
Thread Board
If you ever get up to the San Francisco/Eastbay area... give a shout!

Wendy
Reply to: #502019 by wassamatta u
Mar 30, 2010 11:56am
Thread Board
That sounds like a pretty "cheesy" nonchalant whistle there my friend!!!!

Tee Hee,
Wendy
Reply to: #501940 by Oliver and Company
Mar 30, 2010 12:05pm
Thread Board
I know the feeling - I went out the the professional Art Supply store in the city to pick up an order of Pink Stuff - got a deal buying it by the box, I could have had it shipped but I figured I would "save even more by saving on the shipping" only to end up with a $30.00 parking ticket - Arghhhhhhhhhhh!
Re: Happy Cake Day!!!
Board: Look at Me! Look At You!
Reply to: #501932 by Goofy girl
Mar 30, 2010 12:11pm
Thread Board
Thanks for the fun party!! You always know how to have a good time. :)
~Tiger Pride
Reply to: #502006 by knit wit
Mar 30, 2010 12:16pm
Thread Board
There are some intersections around here where I don't feel comfortable myself making that right--visibility issues and higher speeds on the roads and what-have-you.

It's just like unprotected lefts. Some people aren't comfortable, some people have terrible depth-perception. It happens. It does annoy me being behind them, but it's not the end of the world.

However, there was an intersection at home in California where people felt perfectly comfortable ignoring the "No Right Turn on Red" sign. It was onto a road with 4 lanes in each direction, with a posted speed limit of 50 mph (so obviously people were often going 60+), with a hill to your left as you sat waiting to make your right turn. Doing *that* could be the end of your world, and I never understood why so many people felt the need to do it.
Re: So Glad
Board: Weight Watching Boxers
Reply to: #501870 by Green Tortuga
Mar 30, 2010 12:16pm
Thread Board
thanks Ryan. Every bit of support helps!!!