A Letterboxing Community

Search

Read Messages

Re: Idol?
Board: Television: After the Show Ends
Reply to: #500563 by ArchimedesScrew
Mar 29, 2010 4:31am
Thread Board
There was a cool article about Siobhan in our local paper this past weekend.

http://www.capecodonline.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20100328/NEWS/3280329

-CC Lightning Bug
Re: Need help fast
Board: Critter Corner
Reply to: #501549 by Irishman
Mar 29, 2010 4:49am
Thread Board
Got ya beat, Irishman. I've had three dogs and five cats at one time. Plus, roommate, roommate's cat, dog and girlfriend all in a 940 sf house. A fur palace, especially in the spring!

A friend came over for dinner one day and was kinda moving around the kitchen. I asked, what are you doing and he said he was just being one of the crowd. Huh? He then pointed out the fact that I was working in the kitchen with at least two dogs and three cats milling at my feet all the time. I didn't even notice and I very rarely stepped on a tail or paw. ;-)

Yes, maybe the prayer and healing board would be good because it will be a miracle if I don't end up with a kitten.
Re: May 1st event
Board: State: North Carolina
Reply to: #501614 by The Wolf Family
Mar 29, 2010 4:55am
Thread Board
Oh My Goodness!..........now there are 40 people signed up for my event! How exciting..........and nerve racking! I hope I don't disappoint anyone!

Can't wait til 5/1!............Let the planting begin!

Mama Wolf........you may have the beginnings a "carving class" on your hands.......I'm comin' too!

:O) Ponder
Re: Okay, already... about those pathtags!
Reply to: #501162 by OhanaTribe
Mar 29, 2010 5:05am
Thread Board
I see that many people have responded to you. This is a very friendly group. I've been on the fringe for years and they haven't gotten out the torches and pitchforks...yet ::grin::

I thought you might be interested in why the pathtags shape and size was developed. In Europe, they have a different approach to managing shopping carts. You must deposit a coin (or a trolley token) to get a shopping cart. When your shopping is done, you return the cart to get a coin or token back. This way the shopping carts aren't messing up the whole parking lot and they don't have to hire someone to round them up. Some grocery stores in our area do that, too, but the "token" is a quarter. Anyway, the trolley/cart tokens have become collectible and sometimes businesses will offer them as advertisement. Or people buy them to support various charities. Some people have them made to trade. You can see a photo here. http://mariekeating.ie/zen-cart/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=69&products_id=187 In that part of the world, many people have a trolley token on a quick release keychain. You don't necessarily get BACK the coin you put in, so there's a bit of a game to that part of it, too. Anyway, when the pathtags guys were searching around for a low-cost alternative to geocoins, and something that could be used to identify those whose path you've crossed (instead of tracking the travels of the coin), they naturally looked at items for which there was already a manufacturing process in place. So that's some of the background of the pathtags.

Generally they're used as little mementos, like a little (durable) badge. Or as I mentioned before, they make cool zipper pulls or just put 'em on a keyring. I buy teeny little earth magnets (the pathtags are ferrous) and stick 'em on an ammo box, then when I go to an event, I use the box to hold supplies.

Happy 'boxing!

honeychile
Re: Saturday adventures
Reply to: #501635 by knit wit
Mar 29, 2010 5:13am
Thread Board
First mistake. That is by far the worst McDonalds in town. Will your head explode if I tell you that there was another McDonald's not five minutes from the one on Tunnel Road IN the direction that you would have been heading to go home? Maybe I won't mention that.

No, the whole point was to visit that particular McDonalds, as odd as that sounds. Since we saw the show about the 10 most unique McD's in the world (it was a slow TV night, I guess), CDQ has been on a mission to see it, just to say she has. Not to worry though. We so won't make that mistake again.

I definitely need to get numbers for the Asheville folks for our next excursion! Shoot, that probably would have solved the frustration of trying to get in touch with Mars Hill Security if nothing else! I started to give Dixie a call (I have her number) to check out the closing time for Riverside since we put that off until after the concert and I really didn't want to get arrested for being there after hours (which wouldn't have surprised me the way that day went). Plus, I hate to drive all the way up and never get to see any of you guys....

hope
Re: Type: All
Board: Suggestion Box
Reply to: #501101 by Green Tortuga
Mar 29, 2010 5:21am
Thread Board
The depth of your answer tells me exactly what I wanted to know: you either tried or you know your product well enough to answer a question easily (you've probably attempted it before). In either case, thanks for more than just a 'Sorry, ain't gonna happen'. . . and everything else you do that we on the other side of the screen will probably never see.
help!!!!
Board: State: Connecticut
Mar 29, 2010 5:32am
Board
Hi everyone. I was trying to get everything put together in one place for the earth day event in April and I can not find my pop up tent. I fear that the moving truck may have ate it when I moved into the new house :( So I am in need of a pop up tent to borrow for the day of the event. I will pick up and return to you . Anyone have one that we could borrow?

Sparky Butterfly
Re: Container Gardening
Board: Garden Gnomes
Reply to: #501419 by Maple Leaf Red
Mar 29, 2010 5:51am
Thread Board
Take a look at square foot gardening. A lot of the principles for raised beds will apply to containers.

Happy gardening!

n.
Re: Finding People
Board: Suggestion Box
Reply to: #501099 by Green Tortuga
Mar 29, 2010 5:56am
Thread Board
Your spam situation is well warranted and understood. Fair enough, I'll just have to get to know my 'neighbors' a little slower than I might have wanted.
Reply to: #501648 by honeychile
Mar 29, 2010 6:03am
Thread Board
I've been on the fringe for years and they haven't gotten out the torches and pitchforks...yet ::grin::

And...we all wish you would come out of hiding more often!! :o)

stick 'em on an ammo box, then when I go to an event, I use the box to hold supplies.

You should see this collection! So cool and SOOOOO many! I could sit for hours and look at all of them and the detail on each one.

I have my own path tag "in the works" and hopefully will have it by summer's end, available for trade and FF prizes :o)

Turtlelove
Reply to: #501649 by hopeinnc
Mar 29, 2010 6:04am
Thread Board
Since we saw the show about the 10 most unique McD's in the world (it was a slow TV night, I guess), CDQ has been on a mission to see it, just to say she has.

Surely she can come up with better goals than that!
What about these:
-- wearing a duct tape viking helmet while kayaking to a letterbox
-- acquiring 1101010's squished penny
-- killing the blasted sweet gum root that sends up shoots all over my yard-- GRRRRR!!!---
oh, wait-- those are MY totally sane goals. Well, you get the idea-- steer her toward setting her goals a little higher. *nodding*
Reply to: #501657 by turtlelove
Mar 29, 2010 6:06am
Thread Board
I have my own path tag "in the works" and hopefully will have it by summer's end, available for trade and FF prizes :o)

I'm really going to have to make one of my own. I need to at least be able to bribe some people for theirs!
Re: May 1st event
Reply to: #501647 by Ponder
Mar 29, 2010 6:09am
Thread Board
Mama Wolf........you may have the beginnings a "carving class" on your hands.......I'm comin' too!

I see that. You know, my carving lessons aren't that interesting. Basically I just bring the stuff I have (except the magnifier-- it's too big) and just let other folks try it. It's more a matter of finding what works for you and then practicing at it.
Reply to: #501659 by The Wolf Family
Mar 29, 2010 6:12am
Thread Board
I know! I'm usually lurking around and, at least 'trying' (:P) to keep up with the NC board. And all this talk about Pathtags is making me sick! I only have ONE, and it's the ASD one. I remember when EM brought TONS of hers to the RW&Y event. Ooooh, I was so jealous! I know I need to get some of my own, so that I have something to trade, but while I don't, how do I bribe, and how do I know who has them?

MissPeach
(Willing to take pathtag donations! hahahahaha!)
Re: Carving
Board: Stamp Carving and Mounting
Reply to: #501637 by Inky Jedi
Mar 29, 2010 6:13am
Thread Board
The idea is to challenge yourself to more and more detailed images as you go along...and practice. Really - no tricks or special tools, I promise.

That's pretty much it. Basically, all I do when I show people is bring a variety of tools and carving mediums and let you try. You just need to find what works for you and practice at it. :)
Re: Statistics
Board: Stupider Questions About Letterboxing
Reply to: #501631 by Goofy girl
Mar 29, 2010 6:29am
Thread Board
From a 'Where should we plan our vacation' stand point, a geographical representation of box density would be really cool.
Reply to: #501663 by Luxem Via
Mar 29, 2010 6:31am
Thread Board
point of clarification - not box location - box density.
Reply to: #501664 by Luxem Via
Mar 29, 2010 6:34am
Thread Board
box density.

"I'm George McFly- I'm your density"

(Sorry, couldn't help myself)
Reply to: #501658 by The Wolf Family
Mar 29, 2010 6:40am
Thread Board
Well, especially since that particular McDonald's lost a bit of it's uniqueness when they fired the piano player. *nodding* Yep, they used to actually have someone come in and play the piano at times. He was pretty good too. He'd play during lunch and I would actually go there to hear him. They decided it was cheaper to play recorded piano music or something, so the piano now sits there looking forlorn. Stoopid... ;-)
Mar 29, 2010 6:43am
Thread Board
Surely she can come up with better goals than that!

Have you met my child???!!! How about goals like:

--break into a strangers van to retrieve a stamp a month after you start letterboxing

--leave with a total stranger from a park in Asheville to go hunt boxes

--hike through mud and snow, and proceed to fall on your butt in the snow for a box that you then can't find because it's buried in the snow

oh wait, she's already done all of that stuff!!!
Re: Call for Boxes
Board: State: New York
Reply to: #501195 by dolphinwanderer
Mar 29, 2010 6:56am
Thread Board
Dear dolphinwanderer,
I would be happy to carve a few stamps for the event. I am so glad to know there will be an event in Syracuse this summer. As it gets closer please let me know if you need help with anything else.
The Point
Reply to: #501667 by hopeinnc
Mar 29, 2010 6:59am
Thread Board
I resemble that second one except I drove half way across the United States to meet people I had only talked to online and once or twice on the phone...

GG D
Reply to: #501637 by Inky Jedi
Mar 29, 2010 7:08am
Thread Board
Really - no tricks or special tools, I promise.

See, I gotta disagree with this. In my experience, carving abilities dramatically improve with each trick or tool discovered. So my advice is: Magnification. Lots of it. A pair of +3.5 reading glasses from the Dollar store at a minimum. Once you can see what you're doing, everything else falls into line.
Mar 29, 2010 7:09am
Thread Board
wearing a duct tape viking helmet while kayaking to a letterbox

Or you could make a kayak from duct tape too.

:o)
Missing SE at SMP this year.
Board: Region: Southeast
Mar 29, 2010 7:09am
Thread Board
Siamese and I must get back to our northern home early this year. We will not be able to get to SMP and all our great letterboxing buddies at SE for the first time in several years. We miss you.

oldhounder
Let's show some heart on this cake!
Board: Look at Me! Look At You!
Mar 29, 2010 7:10am
Board
Happy AQVersary to Wooohoo Crew and Via's Heart!!!

***Throws confetti, releases balloons, and rolls out the cake***

GG
Re: Missing SE at SMP this year.
Reply to: #501672 by Oldhounder
Mar 29, 2010 7:17am
Thread Board
Darnit! Will you have a chance to stop by on your way home?
Re: Missing SE at SMP this year.
Reply to: #501672 by Oldhounder
Mar 29, 2010 7:18am
Thread Board
Siamese and I must get back to our northern home early this year. We will not be able to get to SMP and all our great letterboxing buddies at SE for the first time in several years. We miss you.

Too bad you guys couldn't drag your feet for a few more weeks. It's just 61 days till LBSE, after all.
: [
Reply to: #501670 by Kirbert
Mar 29, 2010 7:23am
Thread Board
A pair of +3.5 reading glasses from the Dollar store at a minimum.

Here's my tip about Kirbert's tip:

If you purchase and use reading glasses that strong, be very sure that you take them off before you try to walk around. If you do not, you might vomit.

This could significantly hinder your progress toward carving more detailed stamps.

Just a little something I found to be true in my experience (and shared before fully waking up).

My 2 cents,
MC
Reply to: #501679 by Mama Cache
Mar 29, 2010 7:26am
Thread Board
If you purchase and use reading glasses that strong, be very sure that you take them off before you try to walk around. If you do not, you might vomit.

....also, you look funny, because you'll take extremely high steps!