A Letterboxing Community

Search

Read Messages

Re: Dry skin near eyes question
Board: Kid Shenanigans
Reply to: #486631 by how and kris
Feb 1, 2010 7:55pm
Thread Board
I had that for a bit and figured out that it was a new eye lotion I tried. Check if there is a new soap, laundry detergent, lotion, or any product or routine that has changed recently and discontinue use.
Re: Glue brands or types
Board: Stamp Carving and Mounting
Reply to: #486982 by Dizzy
Feb 1, 2010 8:00pm
Thread Board
have allways used E6000. allways works great
Re: How do I make a transparent image?
Board: Designing and Creating Webpages
Reply to: #486788 by Green Tortuga
Feb 1, 2010 8:03pm
Thread Board
Thanks this worked like a charm, I had already prepped the image in photo shop so all I had to do was to save as PNG. Perfect!!
Thanks
Mystic Dreamer
Re: Status of PZ Cut?
Reply to: #483779 by Webfoot
Feb 1, 2010 8:06pm
Thread Board
If one of the hurdles to buying an extruder is cash... I'll be first in line to sign up and pay (in advance), for a decent-sized order of PZ-3D Super-Dooper (with a drop of retsyn) -- or whatever you're calling it. I know you're good for it, and I don't mind waiting. Perhaps if there's a few of us out there like that, we could help you raise some funds in exchange for being guaranteed some of the most-excellent new sheets of the much-beloved white stuff. (this message intended to be encouragement and a genuine offer of support -- not pressure! I swear.)

Chica
Re: My boxes
Board: Region: Pacific Northwest
Reply to: #486556 by DoubleTree
Feb 1, 2010 8:06pm
Thread Board
Anyone found She Who Watches recently? Haven't heard about it for quite some time.

I was planning on getting this one hopefully this spring so I will let you know when I make it out there.

Mystic Dreamer
Re: Mail Person Gets "The Dumb Award"
Board: Postals
Reply to: #486892 by DeniseN10ec
Feb 1, 2010 8:19pm
Thread Board
When I saw the title of this thread, I thought "Wow! Another letterboxer in my neighborhood!"

All kidding aside, I'm very sorry this happened to you. Nothing I ever sent through the mail seemed as precious/critical until I became involved in LTCs and postals. And I know what it's like to have a mail carrier who seems unconcerned with the wellbeing of my mail. *hug*

BAC
misses living in the suburbs (sometimes)
Re: I'm a PC, and Atlas Quest was my idea.....
Board: Atlas Quest Announcements
Reply to: #486756 by Green Tortuga
Feb 1, 2010 8:24pm
Thread Board
uuumm I can't add anything here because all my suggestions have been shot down....joining those sitting quietly in the corner

GG
by the way Baby Goofy, Munchkin and I made it home safely from MMT3 none of us were the victim.
Hello BOARD MEMBERS!!!!
Board: Look at Me! Look At You!
Feb 1, 2010 8:30pm
Thread Board
So sorry I have been offline but the computer wouldn't work at the hotel and they didn't have one they let people just use... we didn't even have microwave or refrig in rooms....

anyway *****THROWS CONFETTI***** for all the events I missed while offline!!!!

GG
Re: Thoughts on Dollhouse??
Board: Whedonverse
Reply to: #486911 by ArchimedesScrew
Feb 1, 2010 8:30pm
Thread Board
You can buy it an iTunes

We don't have whatever the iTunes software is. It froze our computer no matter what, so we uninstalled it for good 2 years ago.
Re: ARGH!!!!
Board: Venting Board
Reply to: #486980 by Okie Dog
Feb 1, 2010 8:44pm
Thread Board
My very first adult job was as a key punch operator for Fireman's Fund Insurance. Because I had taken the 6 week course at the local tech school, I got paid $10 more a week than the other trainees. Whoot! Big money! Ten or eleven years later, I got a job with the Fed Gov doing data entry, almost the same thing. Ya know, after 25 years we still do date entry. Really? In the day and age of scanners, the Fed Gov still does data entry? At least I don't have to do it, I had good quality but bad quantity.
Re: PBS Show: Donner Party
Board: Television: After the Show Ends
Reply to: #486976 by The hicks from the sticks
Feb 1, 2010 8:48pm
Thread Board
Really? You had never heard this. I guess growing up in Cali you learn it in state history. Makes me think about the little things I probably never learn about from other states.
Reply to: #487001 by Alaska hsm
Feb 1, 2010 9:00pm
Thread Board
I live here in Michigan and have heard of it, but more about their experiences in the mountains. Did not recall hearing that they did well during the Gold Rush.
Re: Hey There!
Board: The Grateful Letterboxers!
Reply to: #486983 by The Merry Pranksters
Feb 1, 2010 9:00pm
Thread Board
i didn;t get to use my confetti the last 6 days so here goes

*********throws confetti while running around the room***************************

GG
Reply to: #486784 by Dizzy
Feb 1, 2010 9:01pm
Thread Board
For those who have ordered checks more recently: Can I presume they now come with a 20_ _ on them?

No, they don't.

Actually, it depends on who you buy your checks from. Ours have had 20___ for a few years now. What was interesting about that was that they didn't start coming like that until about 2002 or so.

Dave
T2R
Re: Ok..it's eBay / Smithsonian time again...
Board: Letterbox Chatter
Reply to: #486730 by JerseyTrailblazers
Feb 1, 2010 9:09pm
Thread Board
I need to go to more estate sales around town. Bet I could find one of those. I sure am not paying any $20 for it. I think you spurred that on JT, and you do deserve a cut. ha ha. Man, I bet those people are surprised. And thrilled, too. (the owners)
OD
Reply to: #486993 by Goofy girl
Feb 1, 2010 9:16pm
Thread Board
I can't add anything here because all my suggestions have been shot down....j

Hey! You were the inspiration for the chat rooms! No putting yourself down! ;o)

-- Ryan
Re: Hello BOARD MEMBERS!!!!
Reply to: #486995 by Goofy girl
Feb 1, 2010 9:19pm
Thread Board
we didn't even have microwave or refrig in rooms....

You should bring this up on the Venting board. *nodding* =)

-- Ryan
Reply to: #487008 by Green Tortuga
Feb 1, 2010 9:26pm
Thread Board
We stayed at a Best Western in Monroe LA and we not only had a digital thermostat but an iron, ironing board, microwave and refrig ***Throws confetti for BW in LA****

GG
Re: Carving Letters
Reply to: #486805 by storm rider
Feb 1, 2010 9:28pm
Thread Board
I really liked SHH's comments about the "perfect" stamp. Thank you for that. -storm rider-

You are very welcome, my friend :-)
Reply to: #487007 by Green Tortuga
Feb 1, 2010 9:29pm
Thread Board
Oh yeah I forgot about that ***taking a bow***

GG =~)
Reply to: #486943 by fleetwood7
Feb 1, 2010 9:30pm
Thread Board
sometimes people keep losing their boxes and it never dawns on them why

I'd say then they lost their marbles, too. Just sayin'
Reply to: #486976 by The hicks from the sticks
Feb 1, 2010 9:33pm
Thread Board
Here in California, you basically can't leave elementary school without hearing about them. However, I remember that one of the women promised God that if she made it alive she would convert to Catholicism. She made it alive and converted.

slick kitty
(A "C" Catholic)
Farmville rant and another...
Feb 1, 2010 9:48pm
Thread Board
WHY cant there be a way to accept all gifts instead of having to individually accept all of them... a pain in the Arse when you have been offline for 7 days.

WHY can't all hotels/motels have a microwave and refrigerator in the room I paid as much or more for my room in Hickory, NC as I did for my room in Monroe, LA and the one in LA had an iron, ironing board, refrig, microwave, and DIGITAL thermostat (no dials on the heater there) and was only $70 for the night whereas the room in Hickory was like $85 a night (there three nights) and none of the fun things that Monroe had.

Done now

GG
Survivor: Heros vs Villains
Feb 1, 2010 9:52pm
Thread Board
We've posted a Survivor Pool for those intrepid fans of the show which begins Thursday, February 11th.

It's listed under "My Page", "My trackers", "other". Sign up, study the bios on the CBS website [(http://www.cbs.com/primetime/survivor/bio/)], select your team and AQ email your picks to us!

Outplay, Out wit, Outlast!!

~~Doublesaj & Old Blue~~
Re: Farmville rant and another...
Reply to: #487014 by Goofy girl
Feb 1, 2010 9:55pm
Thread Board
WHY can't all hotels/motels have a microwave and refrigerator in the room

Oops. Sorry. I called ahead and had them "Childproof" your room by removing all those dangerous electric appliances. Just tryin' to help!
Reply to: #486925 by fleetwood7
Feb 1, 2010 9:59pm
Thread Board
How about letting planters know how well they plant boxes by creating an average box life index average of days all planted boxes have been active...

The downside I see with that idea is that it would tend to encourage maximizing the lifespan of boxes. I know, offhand that sounds good, but really it's not. It's always a good idea to plant a box planning on it staying put until you're good and ready to retire it yourself, but there comes a time when a letterbox -- even a great one -- has run its course and should be pulled. When that time has come, I want to feel free to just pull it and plant an entirely new box somewhere nearby. I never want to feel as though I really should leave the old box there because it's good for my box durability stats.
Reply to: #487009 by Goofy girl
Feb 1, 2010 10:03pm
Thread Board
I don't want an iron in my room while i'm on vacation ;-) -storm rider- who will be wrinkled at all out of town events- and at home too!
Reply to: #486943 by fleetwood7
Feb 1, 2010 10:05pm
Thread Board
sometimes people keep losing their boxes and it never dawns on them why...

True enough, but how would providing stats on how long boxers' boxes survive help to enlighten them?

Of course, sometimes you just get unlucky. I planted a box a few months back that was a shoo-in to stay in place forever. It was along a trail that nobody knows about, it was a long ways out on the trail, and the box was 100 yards off the trail and well-hidden in the base of a hollow tree, on high ground that would never flood. First finder found it OK, second finder DNF'd, third finder just happened to find the container and log book, all chewed up and scattered 30 yards away from the hiding spot. The stamp itself was never found. I dunno what I coulda done better short of spraying bear repellant around the hide.
Re: Farmville rant and another...
Reply to: #487016 by wassamatta u
Feb 1, 2010 10:09pm
Thread Board
That's funny!! I childproofed my house but three got in anyway!

GG
Reply to: #486999 by judithandsparky
Feb 1, 2010 10:24pm
Thread Board
Ya know, after 25 years we still do date entry. Really?

I worked for the Leon County School board in the early 1990's. Note the date, not way back in the Dark Ages, but well into the Information Age. Not too far from my office was a typing pool of sorts, always at least a half dozen people in there typing away on 'puters. One day while walking past I made the mistake of stopping and asking one of them what she was typing.

Y'see, for the longest time pretty much everybody in the district typed whatever documents they needed typed up on WordPerfect. It was, after all, the preeminent word processor of the time. But the district had decided to set up a district-wide computer network, and to that end they had established a central processing facility -- and tried to bid a contract for a mainframe computer. I say "tried" because this was the blind leading the blind, there was only one person involved that knew diddly about computers and she resigned in protest over the debacle. She was trying to write the contract so they got a good mainframe computer, but in the meantime the good folks at IBM were doing some arm-twisting behind the scenes with the Board members themselves. They ended up paying top dollar for an obsolete IBM mainframe computer that IBM actually had the gall and audacity to announce they were no longer supporting before we even got it online.

Anyhow, with the new IBM mainframe you had to run IBM software, and the word processing side of that was a mainframe program called WordStar. And because IBM insisted that no other software would work with WordStar, the entire district was directed to purchase and install the PC version of WordStar on their desktop computers and do away with WordPerfect.

You see where this is going, don't you? That's correct: For several months, that entire typing pool had been working hard, 8 hours a day, taking document printouts that had been originally created using WordPerfect and hand-typing each one over in WordStar.