A Letterboxing Community

Search

Read Messages

Re: Dry skin near eyes question
Board: Kid Shenanigans
Reply to: #486793 by how and kris
Feb 1, 2010 11:33am
Thread Board
one last suggestion. My son is 2 1/2 and since he was born he has had awful skin. He was never soft and smooth like a baby, his skin was rough and always looked like he had a rash on his arms and legs. The doctors prescribed everything they could think of. We used cortisone, creams (not lotion, lotion contains alcohol which is drying to the skin), he had steroid creams, oils, baby wash, baby lotions, everything. I changed our soap, our clothes detergent, diaper brands, and nothing made it go away. It was so bad I didn't want him to go with shorts and tshirts or just onsies. Then my mom remembered somehting that my brother used 20+ years ago. It's called Dermarest. I rubbed his whole little body down 2x everyday and within a week the irritations on his skin were gone. Now i can rub him down 1 -2 times a week after bath and he never breaks out. Great stuff! I don't know if it will work or can be used around eyes, but maybe someone else can use it.
Re: Carving Letters
Board: Stamp Carving and Mounting
Reply to: #486663 by Janila
Feb 1, 2010 11:34am
Thread Board
I was just watching a TV show last night about a forger who copied signatures upside down. He stated that when you copy them right side up, you are trying to copy someone's font. When you do it upside down, it is like copying art which is much easier.

White Collar is a great show. ;)

And I agree - don't look at them as letters. They are just another image to carve. Just don't forget to reverse the letters so that when you stamp it, you can read it correctly. :D

TG
Reply to: #486699 by Inky Jedi
Feb 1, 2010 11:40am
Thread Board
I really liked SHH's comments about the "perfect" stamp. Thank you for that. -storm rider-
Re: Does anyone crochet or knit?
Board: LTC: Trades and Trackers
Reply to: #486615 by LunaSea
Feb 1, 2010 11:40am
Thread Board
I don't knit or crochet... but I _do_ spin

As in yarn, or exercise?
Feb 1, 2010 11:41am
Thread Board
I listed the tracker here http://www.atlasquest.com/showinfo.html?gTrackerId=4199 with a due date of May 21. I added the following people as they expressed interest in the tracker.
Milk Money
Where's Wendy
We 5 Weeks
Ursa Major
Yarnymermaid
brandicat
LunaSea
If you didn't want to join and I jumped-the-gun, feel free to let me know - I'm just a little excited! I have room for 1 more on this tracker. I kept it small so that everyone isn't overwhelmed by making embellishments.
Reply to: #486808 by Rockin Lunch Lady
Feb 1, 2010 11:41am
Thread Board
Any needle-type art would be accepted if you want to join in the swap!
The Alphabet Swaps continue....
Feb 1, 2010 11:42am
Board
MMT3 photos
Board: State: North Carolina
Feb 1, 2010 11:43am
Thread Board
Coffee Mug put several more pictures on the event photo album. I only tell you this because I am in several of them. ;O)
Reply to: #486728 by bluebirdlover
Feb 1, 2010 11:44am
Thread Board
Why Mistral font in particular?

Curvy letters and it is just oddball enough that when you screw up (and you will) most folks can't see the screwup.

Don
Re: MMT3 photos
Reply to: #486811 by Safari Man
Feb 1, 2010 11:50am
Thread Board
Coffee Mug put several more pictures on the event photo album

I just noticed too and was going to advise.

Coffee Mug took the easy way out when trying to name people.... he called them all by their name tags !!
*LOL* Too funny !!

Glad to see the pictures of the HONORING OUR HEROES series in Sawmills.

Thanks Coffee Mug !

Dina B. Seeker
Re: My January Update
Board: FarmVille Board
Reply to: #486751 by Green Tortuga
Feb 1, 2010 11:55am
Thread Board
THat commercial was HILARIOUS!!!!!!! I know..... we FARMVILLE addicts could be construed as lame..... However, I've been also told that letterboxing are lame too.....

MW
Re: Useless info?
Board: State: Georgia
Reply to: #486783 by Eidolon
Feb 1, 2010 12:01pm
Thread Board
Hahaha!
Very Small Birthday Ideas Needed
Feb 1, 2010 12:24pm
Thread Board
I usually do a huge birthday party for Sharkboy; but, finances will not allow for that this year, so I'm just taking him and one friend to a local kids entertainment place. One of his friends did that recently for a small birthday and invited my son and he had a great time, so I figured the idea would work well for us too. We are going to take that same boy with us to our small birthday bash.

My only issue is, I still want it to be a special day. I don't just want to have a slice of pizza and soda at the snack bar then watch the kids go on the bounce houses, play mini golf and arcade games. I kinda feel that stuff can happen any day and I want to do a little more to make the day special. I'd like to do a Where The Wild Things Are them; but, I'm not sure how to implement a theme into a tiny birthday party with only two kids. Does anybody have any ideas for me?
Reply to: #486813 by theseekers1108
Feb 1, 2010 12:30pm
Thread Board
That Honoring Our Heroes series is one of our favorites. My husband was in the Navy AND the Air Force and was a corpsman with the Marine detail that excavated and identified slain Marines in the Lebanon suicide bombing of the barracks there. My father, father-in-law, brother, sister-in-law, nephew, niece, and three uncles have or are currently serving in some branch of the armed forces. Lots of military wives who also sacrificed for our country, like my Mom.

We really appreciated this box series and the honor is gives to our active duty and veterans.
Thank you.
Re: I'm a PC, and Atlas Quest was my idea.....
Board: Atlas Quest Announcements
Reply to: #486779 by JerseyTrailblazers
Feb 1, 2010 12:35pm
Thread Board
How did you guess???
Re: Finally caught up...
Reply to: #486747 by oceanwinds
Feb 1, 2010 12:36pm
Thread Board
I got that message too! We bantered back and forth over our depression and that made me feel better. Thanks Erica!
Re: Firefly LTC swap?
Board: Whedonverse
Reply to: #486734 by Cat Eyes
Feb 1, 2010 12:37pm
Thread Board
Cat Eyes, I'm in for the Firefly swap. I'll just have to have them done before I leave for Brazil!
Re: Hi!
Board: BIA Addicts
Reply to: #486600 by Travelin' Shutterbug
Feb 1, 2010 12:41pm
Thread Board
I'm impressed you have a supply room

[here's mine]

deniserows
in a mess
Reply to: #486808 by Rockin Lunch Lady
Feb 1, 2010 12:44pm
Thread Board
Great!! Thanks for signing me up -- I'm looking forward to tatting something for this project (and a smaller group will make that easier!).

I do have a question, though ....will this card have both the needlecrafted thing and a stamp? (I'm assuming it will, but thought I should check!)

Thanks!
WW
Re: My January Update
Board: FarmVille Board
Reply to: #486751 by Green Tortuga
Feb 1, 2010 12:52pm
Thread Board
My kids said the mom seems very familiar.
Re: Very Small Birthday Ideas Needed
Reply to: #486817 by Sharkboy and Lavagirl
Feb 1, 2010 12:55pm
Thread Board
When Diamond the Rat has a party at chucky cheese we bring a themed baloon or 2, a themed plastic toy or candle to shove in the cake, themed table cloth, etc.

With one child it's hard to justify the cost of the themed plates, napkins, etc. But we have bought these thing in the past and then used the extras the next day/week when we did something birthday related with just us at the house.
Feb 1, 2010 12:55pm
Thread Board
you could decorate around the house with balloons, streamers and banners. these wouldn't cost much or you might could make them. Maybe have pizza or whatever you serve at the park and then go to the kid place.
Re: Stamps needed for event
Board: Event News and Planning
Reply to: #484169 by Kelsung
Feb 1, 2010 12:57pm
Thread Board
i dibs lizards.

deniserows
a forked tongue
Reply to: #486737 by wassamatta u
Feb 1, 2010 1:02pm
Thread Board
That's me, quietly sitting in the corner.

I'm so glad that a whole continent separates me from the impending lightning strike.

Knit Wit
Re: Thicker stamp
Reply to: #486796 by Allen Family Finders
Feb 1, 2010 1:04pm
Thread Board
I can't imagine I'm the first people to try this so any advise would be appreciated!

i have seen this done with Master carve *pootie* a lot. its a very thick medium that lends itself to making "dice".
The biggest problem i see is that those that don't like getting their fingers inky *gasp* would really have inky fingers unless they were diligent about cleaning each side before inking.

deniserows
in ink
Re: Possible chance of losing power
Board: Postals
Reply to: #486791 by Boxer Lover47
Feb 1, 2010 1:16pm
Thread Board
We're a bit off-subject, but it's worth it.
I've had allergies all my life. Shots as a kid - no change. Miserable for years. Moved to the city and things got better. Had to move back to the suburbs and things got worse. Shots again - no help.
Finally I went to an allergy seminar at U of Chicago (really good medical school, like REALLY good) The expert there said that 50% of people who get allergy shots realize a difference in their allergies. Of that 50%, half get worse and half get better. Which means that you have a 25% chance of getting better and 25% chance of getting worse. They are also based on the theory that small regular injections of the allergen will build up an immunity in your system. They never did anything for me. The allergist will want to "sell" you the regimen, and it might work - but remember that is how they make their money.
My current regimen is Clairitin-D all the time, year round - even though you have to barter your first born child to get it and the pharmacy treats you like a crystal meth dealer. (That's just for the D part in the midwest, I think. Is it a controlled substance everywhere?) During the bad times I also use Flonase, Sarna lotion for topical attacks (Unscented does not work as well) - like Swimmer's Itch every summer - and no one else gets it. Benadryl on top of it all if something strange happens - like accidentally knocking a hornet's nest off the back fence and getting 7 stings. (It was very funny, in retrospect, as I danced myself naked in the yard. They flew up my shirt and down my pants.) But only Benadryl in emergencies because it makes me loopy for 2 days.
FYI since you are younger than me - I did breast feed my kids and they did not inherit my allergies. They have none whatsoever.
Sara
Reply to: #486756 by Green Tortuga
Feb 1, 2010 1:18pm
Thread Board
making notes just a single click away

I would much rather see something like this in the searches. Like putting a check mark in the selection box next to the listing. Then when you have 'selected' your search results you want to save them just click "save".

Shiloh
Feb 1, 2010 1:20pm
Thread Board
Carve some Wild Things stamps and stamp the heck out of plain paper table cloth, napkins, cups, etc. Then, after the party make LTC's out of them!

Wild Rose
Feb 1, 2010 1:22pm
Thread Board
Could you do something with him that maybe, normally you are too busy for, like a special breakfast with fun shaped pancakes or something like that. Sometimes, those special things don't have to be the ones that cost a lot.-storm rider-
Reply to: #486819 by FourWaters
Feb 1, 2010 1:26pm
Thread Board
That Honoring Our Heroes series is one of our favorites.

They're our favorites too. Coffee Mug had them as his PT's for a long time... and wanted to find them a home as traditional boxes.
We went down that road so Charlie could show me a place where he used to go fishing.... and we passed that lovely little Veterans memorial Park !! It was meant to be ! Pretty walk by the lake to Honor our Heroes !

Thanks Elaine, for sharing your support,
Dina B.