A Letterboxing Community

Search

Read Messages

Re: mortified...
Board: Why Did I Just Do That!?
Reply to: #452431 by koalacat
Oct 19, 2009 6:12pm
Thread Board
Bless your heart, I think everyone has had that happen to them at one time or another and you feel so bad when you find out.

Now I don't feel as bad when it happens to me anymore because I think of what my aunt did.......She has to have everything so so and never will put her skirt on until she gets ready to leave to keep it from wrinkling. On this day my uncle was in a hurry and rushing her that they put their coats on and ran out of their home to get to church......Just before church starts my aunt leans over and begs my uncle to leave....You know how men are...after many questions they got up and left because that morning in the rush of things she forgot to put her skirt on.

It could have been alot worse at least you was 99% covered. Hey, now a days it is in fashion with the kids.....most of them if they noticed probly thought you was hip.

Denise
Re: Writing a LB Curriculum
Board: Letterbox Chatter
Reply to: #452436 by 55 Steps
Oct 19, 2009 6:13pm
Thread Board
Types of inks and markers: pros and cons

Logbook making

how to handle hitchhikers
Reply to: #452439 by Baqash
Oct 19, 2009 6:15pm
Thread Board
Stealth

Re-hiding boxes
Re: Nervous
Board: Stamp Carving and Mounting
Reply to: #452284 by ArchimedesScrew
Oct 19, 2009 6:22pm
Thread Board
Remember, there are some stamps that no one but you needs to see.

No one should ever see some of mine *eyeroll* however, i posted my very first one in the

First Carves album

so that shy carvers can see that even if you think you can't carve, others before you thought the same thing.

Hopefully others will post in the album too.

deniserows
but sinks with mastercarve
Reply to: #452435 by Mocchi
Oct 19, 2009 6:23pm
Thread Board
What about perseverance and patience.....and communication skills?
Re: stickers on back
Board: LTC: Tips, Questions, and Stuff
Reply to: #452188 by Goofy girl
Oct 19, 2009 6:23pm
Thread Board
Blank return address labels by Avery I don't know the number right off hand and they have them in Clear and white.

If you mean how many on a sheet...that would be 30. I also use different fonts but usually the same info that you said.

kooky kirby
Oct 19, 2009 6:24pm
Thread Board
• What is letterboxing:
- Where did it come from?
- How did it start?
- Who started it?
- Where did it start?
- How did it spread to North America and the rest of the world?

I covered all this in my speech at LBCon, so feel free to watch the video and take whatever you can use from it. Good luck!

-wassamatta_u, with blatant self-promotion
Re: I NEED A PLACE TO STAY!
Board: State: New York
Reply to: #451818 by King Thibodeaux
Oct 19, 2009 6:28pm
Thread Board
Where do you need a place to stay in NY? We're a big state :)
Re: mortified...
Board: Why Did I Just Do That!?
Reply to: #452438 by DeniseN10ec
Oct 19, 2009 6:28pm
Thread Board
Oh no...

I hope she had a coat with her!
Re: Welcome folks.
Board: The Buckeye Trail
Reply to: #451967 by Pioneer Spirit
Oct 19, 2009 6:46pm
Thread Board
Interesting. Looking forward to following your blog. TToad
Baggie recommendation?
Board: Tools of the Trade
Oct 19, 2009 6:51pm
Thread Board
So what baggies do you all recommend? I'd been using pint-size freezer bags, but haven't found them recently in the three stores I've tried so far. Can't find slider bags in that size either. Can find both types in the quart size. And the sandwich baggies just don't seem tough enough. Thanks for any ideas you may have.

- Sunny
Re: HH Rules
Board: Hitchhikers, Cooties, and Fleas
Reply to: #452413 by Turtlegirl 19
Oct 19, 2009 6:52pm
Thread Board
When I am letterboxing with Koalacat and we find a HH, we both log it and then decide who is going to plant it.
Re: Baggie recommendation?
Reply to: #452448 by Sunny Side Up
Oct 19, 2009 6:54pm
Thread Board
I don't recommend sliders at all
Re: AQ Birth Date - Free log day
Board: Atlas Quest Announcements
Reply to: #452143 by BootyBandits
Oct 19, 2009 7:12pm
Thread Board
I've heard about this "free" log day. Is it monthly? How does it work?
Re: HH Rules
Board: Hitchhikers, Cooties, and Fleas
Reply to: #452413 by Turtlegirl 19
Oct 19, 2009 7:15pm
Thread Board
since some hitchhikers have really tiny logbooks, if i was in a big group i wouldn't want us all to log in because it would take up too many pages in the book.

when my husband and i find a hitch hiker we both log it in our personal log books, but only one of log into the hitch hiker logbook.
Re: Help
Board: Postals
Reply to: #452019 by 55 Steps
Oct 19, 2009 7:16pm
Thread Board
yes..thanks
Re: Tracker Idea
Board: LTC: Trades and Trackers
Reply to: #452083 by LunaSea
Oct 19, 2009 7:25pm
Thread Board
Sounds like fun, but I do not have enough stamps. :(
TMH
Speedball nibs
Oct 19, 2009 7:29pm
Thread Board
Although I've been working on Staedtler nibs lately, I haven't entirely given up on Speedball nibs. Although I've worked on a couple of them -- and arguably improved them slightly -- I still haven't had anything I'd describe as "success" at making them good enough to do any serious carving with.

The problem with a Speedball is that the bottom of the V is rounded, compared to the bottom of the V on a Staedtler being very crisp. As a result, you can easily control the depth you're cutting with a Staedtler until you are cutting a very tiny groove, but with the Speedball once you get too shallow the rounded bottom just pulls out of the rubber and won't cut any narrower.

Playing with a Speedball nib tonight, I decided that within the thickness of the metal involved there should be enough room for me to grind the inside bottom of that V to a crisp point. Working with an existing tip, the problem is that you cut right through the bottom, leaving a slot at the bottom of the V. This is because the V had been sharpened at the factory, grinding off the bottom to bring it up to meet the rounded inside. What I needed to do was to grind the entire tip back 1/16" or so until there was lots of meat at the bottom of the V to work with.

The next problem is actually grinding that crisp V on the inside. My ceramic knife is suitable for honing an existing V, but it's not the right tool for making one where there isn't one to begin with. Really need a grinding tool for that -- a grinding tool that'll make a sharp inside corner. I took a flying saucer-shaped grinding stone for my Dremel and used the dressing stone to clean it up until it had a very crisp edge. Then I very carefully zipped it along the bottom of that V. Then I used my ceramic knife and honing stone to clean it all up and sharpen it.

The result was a great improvement on the typical Speedball. It's perhaps not quite up to par with a Staedtler yet, but it's close. I couldn't really get the bottom of that V all that pointy, since the stone I was using wouldn't hold a sharp edge while grinding, but it did indicate that I'm on the right track.

The problem is, it's really difficult to do. It was useful as a proof of concept, but using a Dremel to try to make the bottom of that V sharper is not something you'd wanna try to do on a regular basis. I certainly won't be volunteering to do it for others. At this point, it's still better they just buy a Staedtler than to try to modify a Speedball.

OTOH, if anyone has any good ideas on a quick and simple way to grind a crisp corner at the bottom of that V, I'd like to hear them.
Re: Hanji
Board: Cool Site of the Day
Reply to: #452097 by 55 Steps
Oct 19, 2009 7:31pm
Thread Board
Another addiction!!! :-)
Re: Tracker Idea
Reply to: #452457 by The March Hare
Oct 19, 2009 7:33pm
Thread Board
Sounds like fun, but I do not have enough stamps. :(

Me neither. I plant everything. And what I can't plant, I give away. It is a good idea for those folks that do just keep them, though. They get used again in a new way.
Oct 19, 2009 7:40pm
Thread Board
Who is this class aimed at community education, boy scouts, girl scouts or is it aimed at high school school level?
It would make a big difference in what you should include in your class knowing if the class students were 18+ or not.

Of course for class you could hide some boxes nearby and have difrent types of clues.
one stright forward, another with a puzzel ect... depending on how the class is set up.
Re: New Beginnings
Board: State: Maine
Reply to: #452125 by System
Oct 19, 2009 7:48pm
Thread Board
Wow!
Congratulations!!!

Seagull
Re: AQ Birth Date - Free log day
Board: Atlas Quest Announcements
Reply to: #452453 by Katie
Oct 19, 2009 7:48pm
Thread Board
When the theme turns to hats, you get a few premium perks even when you are not a member. You can log unlisted boxes and view your letterboxing statistics.
Cathedral Ledge, North conway
Board: State: New Hampshire
Oct 19, 2009 7:52pm
Board
Just placed 3 boxs there
open to anyone that wants to look for them
What's your favorite stamp?
Oct 19, 2009 7:53pm
Thread Board
I try to plant or re-use my LTC stamps, but I'm still generating a large number of stamps just laying around. And there are a few that I really like and couldn't bear to part with into a traditional or even single postal. Are you like that? Do you have a favorite stamp that you'd like to share?

I've set up a tracker: My Favorite Stamp.

But instead of sending your stamp or even an LTC of it, you should get a journal with at least 12 pages in it (preferably more like 24) to send around to the group. Then, when you receive a journal, you stamp in with your sig stamp and your favorite stamp in your collection. And then share a story about what makes it your favorite.

There are still some open slots, and if there's enough interest, I'll increase the maximum to 12 (currently 8).

I got the idea from 1001 Journals where you share a journaling project with different people. I may even log my journal there as well as here.
Re: Speedball nibs
Reply to: #452459 by Kirbert
Oct 19, 2009 7:53pm
Thread Board
OTOH, if anyone has any good ideas on a quick and simple way to grind a crisp corner at the bottom of that V, I'd like to hear them.

It sounds like you again did an excellent job, as always, in thinking through the various options. Thus, an alternative medicine intervention...take some of the sharp-tongued wit of wassa...add in a splash of his eye bleach, and a bit of quick jumping caused by cemetary ghosts and you probably will get that little extra push you need for perfection :)
Re: Ghost, Witches, Bats Event-- Thank you, VA
Board: State: Virginia
Reply to: #452236 by The Wolf Family
Oct 19, 2009 8:02pm
Thread Board
Great photo of the sunken road wall. You have read 'Killer Angels'?
Re: Baggie recommendation?
Reply to: #452448 by Sunny Side Up
Oct 19, 2009 8:21pm
Thread Board
sandwich or quart sized freezer bags would probably work well. non-freezer bags will be too thin. slider bags of any thickness don't seal completely.

romana
Re: East Coast Vs. West Coast Boxing
Board: Traditional Letterboxes
Reply to: #452063 by Kappa!
Oct 19, 2009 8:30pm
Thread Board
We recently completed an 8000 mile cross country trip from Maine to Yellowstone and the Grand Canyon with many many other stops along the way.We purposely did not have a set route, choosing to just stop along the way as we wanted. It was a great trip!!

Those interstate rest stops added so much to our trip!! Such a welcome break.
Every night we'd lug the laptop and the printer into the hotel room and look for letter boxes not too far from the route we were going to take the next day. By letterboxing we found some of the neatest places!! We loved the faries planted on a trail behind a library in Utah and the Jolly Green Giant 80 foot statue in Blue Earth, Minnesota!! We might not have stopped at WAll's DRUG in South Dakota were it not for those letterboxes. We stopped at a rest stop looking for a box and found a full sized replica of the ship Lewis and Clark used to explore the West. We found a Minnesota state map stamp with a cup of coffee carved into it saying "Welcome to Minnesota" and felt really welcomed there. And we were tickled to find a nice letterbox at Gettsyburg. Yes, we found many of those Rt 66 boxes and discovered the Concrete Teepees. Boxing made our trip so much more interesting!!
See the USA via letterboxing.

Keep planting those interstate boxes!!They are sooo appreciated. And if you list them so they will come up on the trip search it will be very helpful to many.
By all means letterbox your way around when you travel!! It's really enjoyable.

Seagull
Reply to: #452444 by wassamatta u
Oct 19, 2009 8:36pm
Thread Board
watch the video and take whatever you can use from it.

Except don't harm any issues of Smithsonian Magazine in the process.