A Letterboxing Community

Search

Read Messages

Re: I locked my keys in the car too
Board: Why Did I Just Do That!?
Reply to: #449411 by koalacat
Oct 10, 2009 4:28am
Thread Board
what I did is got a FLAT key made (no bulky plastic on the top). I used a drill to make the hole in it a little bigger, then unscrewed the license plate and put the key on the screw behind the plate, then screwed it back in. it couldn't fall off, and it being so hidden noone could know it was there.

hope this helps!
Re: Dress Code Violation
Board: State: North Carolina
Reply to: #449455 by Chedva
Oct 10, 2009 4:57am
Thread Board
Seems to me that "someone" wore a clue in that approximate location ...it was at one of the Seekers' events...

Like I said... someone with a much smaller butt than ME !! LOL
Re: Visiting Philly area 10/24
Board: State: Pennsylvania
Reply to: #449363 by LightninBug
Oct 10, 2009 5:37am
Thread Board
I guess I gotta get down there at some point.

Let me know if you do - one of the park entrances is right down the street from me and I know the park pretty well.

FdL
Re: Dress Code Violation
Board: State: North Carolina
Reply to: #449445 by theseekers1108
Oct 10, 2009 5:53am
Thread Board
DArn it, that's not even enough cleavage to make a decent pinup!!! I think the shirt is cute. I bet if that girl showed up in person at your workplace, the guys would stand around drooling, and no one would complain about her attire - lol!!!

I used to work for an attorney who complained when I wore Birkenstock to work on Fridays, when I knew there was no court. I mean seriously - this is Asheville, and I rarely ever set foot out of the office - who was gonna know. So the more he complained, the more I wore them - LOL!!

Mama FOx
Syracuse area
Board: State: New York
Oct 10, 2009 6:01am
Thread Board
Next weekend-week, Oct. 18, 19, 20, our family will be traveling to the northern Syracuse area and in and around Oswego/Pulaski. We are hoping to meet up with a letterboxer or two as we explore, hike, and hike the area for boxes.....and salmon. : )

Anyone up for a hike or dinner exchange? We'll bring our PTs.

3 Blind Mice
depression hits early
Board: State: Nebraska
Oct 10, 2009 6:03am
Thread Board
Yesterday they "the news people" said flurries - they never came. Then this morning I wake up to 4 inches of snow. WHAT? It is only the 10th of October. So depressed!

we have about 2 weeks till our meet - weather predictions are in the 50s that day. Good thing I have planned some indoor hunting (oops!) I take that back - it is a secret shhh!
Re: depression hits early
Reply to: #449485 by S and D
Oct 10, 2009 6:09am
Thread Board
That stinks! I hope the weather cooperates for your event. It's supposed to snow here in Northern Michigan maybe this week as well. It is rather depressing.
Oct 10, 2009 6:24am
Thread Board
Yesterday they "the news people" said flurries - they never came. Then this morning I wake up to 4 inches of snow. WHAT? It is only the 10th of October.

It's that global warming.

Shiloh
Cake Days ***come and get your cake***
Board: Look at Me! Look At You!
Oct 10, 2009 6:36am
Thread Board
Happy AQ anniversary to Puddlesplasher celebrating 4 yrs, antimony and Autumnrose 3 yrs, The Jones 2 yrs
and Mountain Heart and Sneakee Mommy celebrating 1 yr

****throws confetti, releases balloons, and rolls out the cake****

GG
Re: Foraging walk Sunday in Connecticut
Board: Off Topic, Wildly
Reply to: #449415 by The 3 Foragers
Oct 10, 2009 6:38am
Thread Board
DOH! So wish I could go but other obligations won't permit it. :( I love foraging and supplementing my diet with wild things--take that as you will... ;)

Good luck on the hike tomorrow, I will be there in spirit.
Connfederate
PZ Kut substitute to get you through the drought...
Board: Tools of the Trade
Reply to: #449381 by GreyCrazy
Oct 10, 2009 7:01am
Thread Board
Call me crazy, but why not get in touch with some historical perspective, and carve some ERASERS?

Dan (who loves finding these "old-school" carves, but has never tried it himself because he is still using up his PZ Kut stash!!!!)

Jonah's Whalers
Canton, CT
Re: Welcome!
Reply to: #449338 by Captain Raehawk
Oct 10, 2009 7:05am
Thread Board
I guess I took the "inky fingers" saying to a whole new level!

Some people just always have to go one better than everyone else! ;-)

T2R
Re: So excited
Board: Yakking It Up
Reply to: #448900 by Alaska hsm
Oct 10, 2009 7:44am
Thread Board
I am going in November, hope it is good for what the price of the tickets were...lol
Re: Syracuse area
Reply to: #449484 by 3 Blind Mice
Oct 10, 2009 7:54am
Thread Board
Check out Crafty mouses boxes. She lives in Oswego. Larva Lady-ZZ (who misses the area)
Re: Cake Days ***come and get your cake***
Board: Look at Me! Look At You!
Reply to: #449491 by Goofy girl
Oct 10, 2009 8:04am
Thread Board
Wishing you the best for the upcoming year.

Denise
Re: Trackers
Board: Letterboxing Help Desk
Reply to: #449474 by Okie Dog
Oct 10, 2009 8:13am
Thread Board
I was under the impression that trackers were public feeding grounds for Email addresses and such, am I correct in my thinking? Are they public? Spammers can see them easily?

Atlas Quest never displays your e-mail address for anyone. Not even other members of the same tracker. Not sure where you would have gotten that impression. Have you ever seen AQ display other people's e-mail addresses? Why would it make an exception for yours?

-- Ryan
Re: Syracuse area
Reply to: #449484 by 3 Blind Mice
Oct 10, 2009 8:33am
Thread Board
I am planning on being in the area but will be with friends who do not currently box. Hoping to talk them into trying it on the boxes listed in lafayette, just So. of 'Cuse. I soooo can't wait to move back out that way. Keep your fingers crossed, nexy summer/fall

ZH
Re: Well I guess this is the group...
Reply to: #449369 by koalacat
Oct 10, 2009 8:35am
Thread Board
I lock my keys frequently in the car. It happens at least once a year.

I've locked the keys in my car once in my entire life. Definitely not something I do "frequently," but I did have an unusual way of getting the car unlocked. I was in a busy parking lot at the time it happened--there was a Civil War reenactment going on, and people were everywhere. So I decided to start asking around if someone had a screwdriver I could borrow.

The reason being is because I suspected that there were spare keys hidden behind the back license plate. I bought my car used, and when I moved up to Oregon from California, I had to change the plates. When I took off the old plates, that's when I discovered a set of keys hidden behind them. Interesting, I thought, and I assumed the keys were spares for the car. What else would they be for? I didn't actually try them, however. Just thought it was interesting and figured I may as well leave them there. Why not? They weren't hurting anything.

Fast forward a year or so when I locked my keys in the car. I could call AAA, but wouldn't it be faster to retrieve the presumed spare keys from behind the license plate? I couldn't exactly get the license plate off with my fingernails, though. I needed a screwdriver. So I started asking around if anyone had a screwdriver in their car that I could borrow.

I found someone who did have one, and I explained about locking my keys in the car but that there were spares behind the license plate. He looked at me skeptically--like it was the craziest story he'd ever heard, but went ahead and let me borrow the screwdriver and watched as I started taking off the back license plate of my car. I know he was thinking I was up to no good, but the license plate came off and sure enough, there was a set of keys.

The guy seemed to perk up when he saw the spare keys, saying, "Well, at least I know it really is your car--there's no way a stranger would have known about keys hidden behind the license plate!" All the time I was thinking, "I really, really hope these ARE spare keys for the car and not spare keys for the house of a previous owner or something...."

But it unlocked the door of the car. Whew. =) I screwed the license plate back on and returned the screwdriver, and continued on with the rest of my day.

The irony is that if I had locked my keys in the car before I moved to Oregon, I would have never known about the spare hidden behind the license plate. It's all about timing.

-- Ryan
Re: I didn't know how to respond
Board: Kid Shenanigans
Reply to: #448714 by scraphappy
Oct 10, 2009 8:43am
Thread Board
I about died trying not to laugh. I just agreed with him and we moved on. Seriously. NUTSACK? Boys!!

Bwah ha ha ha ha! I've heard that one come out of my 9 y.o.'s mouth although his latest favorite is "nuggets" which he says with a tremendous amount of emphasis and relish. jeez. (Aw- you got me right in the NUGGETS!)

I'm going to have to quiz him on where he thinks babies come from- haven't had that conversation since my oldest was a little guy; at which point I got out the anatomy and phys. text book and just showed him.
Re: Auto-log in on AQ
Board: Letterboxing Help Desk
Reply to: #446991 by Green Tortuga
Oct 10, 2009 8:51am
Thread Board
Whatever the issue was it seems to have stopped without intervention, before I had a chance to go exploring any of these cookie tips.

It's annoying when computers get creative on their own!
Re: I didn't know how to respond
Board: Kid Shenanigans
Reply to: #448481 by Sharkboy and Lavagirl
Oct 10, 2009 8:55am
Thread Board
My six year old (the middle child) has declared she's never having babies bacuse it hurts getting them out (not sure where this came from).

Then she likes to ask after "did it hurt". I usually ask her if it hurt, does she think I'd have three of them?". She tends to be a worrier, so we try to get her not to dwell on things she doesn't need to.
Re: Breakfast mishap...
Board: Funny Pages
Reply to: #446948 by carolina wine trail
Oct 10, 2009 9:22am
Thread Board
There's a BLT season?

It's like wearing white shoes after Labor Day
;-D
Re: SOHT gathering
Board: State: Ohio
Reply to: #449476 by Safari Man
Oct 10, 2009 9:29am
Thread Board
Looking forward to your famous or is it infamous captions and pics, SM. (DW couldn't go to the SOHT this year. :0( ) Hope ya all have a fun gathering! Now, I'm going back to the basement to dig out more of the Hoarder's...umm my Husband's junk...um his prized possessions and take to the Salvation army. Folks if you'd seen me on the road lately you would have thought it was the Beverly Hillbillies..it was DrWatson purging truckloads of no longer needed items. I'm starting to see walls again...
Re: Best Ever Postal Ring
Board: Postals
Reply to: #449473 by Chica
Oct 10, 2009 9:37am
Thread Board
this sounds great!!!!
Oct 10, 2009 9:38am
Thread Board
snow already!? wow.... good luck with your meet!
Re: SOHT gathering
Board: State: Ohio
Reply to: #449514 by DrWatson
Oct 10, 2009 9:40am
Thread Board
Hey DW!

I'm purging too! Determined to get all the toys cleaned out this month--that will get my dining room, hallway and master bedroom back! I have to cnfess, most of hte junk is mine..or hte kids'. DH is not the hoarder I am.

Taking a break from the sorting to run to Target....fun.
Re: PZ Kut substitute to get you through the drought...
Board: Tools of the Trade
Reply to: #449495 by Jonahs Whalers
Oct 10, 2009 9:45am
Thread Board
ha! we love using erasers! Especially for the smaller designs and quisps. They're also super cheap and require no ordering from the internet!
Oct 10, 2009 9:45am
Thread Board
I bet it's in the eighties in that little Hawaiian Village.
single
Board: Postals
Oct 10, 2009 10:11am
Board
Re: Something Old, Something New
Board: CCCP Home
Reply to: #449392 by LightninBug
Oct 10, 2009 10:41am
Thread Board
Very cool puzzle. :)
Like the idea of pulling letters from the original puzzle to make the clue.
I am just really getting started with any type of cryptic clues, so I have been researching different methods

CWT
W.