About Theme

A Letterboxing Community

Search

Read Messages

Not exactly dwile flonking but...
Board: State: Georgia
Feb 23, 2009 9:28pm
Thread Board
In observation of Mardi Gras, or what they call Shrove Tuesday or Pancake Day, we have the next installment of "Curious Games the British Play" : Pancake Racing:

The most famous pancake race, at Olney in Buckinghamshire, has been held since 1445. The contestants, traditionally women, carry a frying pan and race to the finishing line tossing the pancakes as they go. As the pancakes are thin, skill is required to toss them successfully while running. The winner is the first to cross the line having tossed the pancake a certain number of times.

Shrove Tuesday was once known a 'half-holiday' in England. It started at 11:00 a.m. with the signalling of a church bell. The tradition is said to have originated when a housewife from Olney was so busy making pancakes, that she forgot the time until she heard the church bells ringing for the service. She raced out of the house to church while still carrying her frying pan and pancake.

So go have some pancakes (with Golden Syrup, of course!)
Re: MC3 Card for trade!!
Board: LTC: Trades and Trackers
Reply to: #354456 by Moon Flowers
Feb 23, 2009 9:34pm
Thread Board
It's gone to Milk Money.

Thanks to all who responded,
Moon Flower
New Blog! 99 Bottles! Subscribe today!
Board: Letterbox Chatter
Feb 23, 2009 9:56pm
Thread Board
99 bottles of beer on the wall, 99 bottles of beer...
Take one down, pass it around...

http://www.atlasquest.com/people/blogs/blog.html?gBlogId=322

Cheers!

*S
Re: LETTERBOXING Across the NC / SC line !!
Board: State: North Carolina
Reply to: #354436 by TalleyValleyFarmClan
Feb 23, 2009 9:59pm
Thread Board
Y'all did not say anything about coming

Holly,
We've already been sufficiently yelled at.......
but we really didn't have any time frame....or schedule......
That's why we didn't mention it. We just made a quick trip.

Charlie did say....... in the middle of the day.... "you know we're going to get in trouble for not calling anyone, right ?"....... I said "Yup".

Sorry bout that ! Next time we'll be more Social !
Dina B.
Re: New Blog! 99 Bottles! Subscribe today!
Reply to: #354489 by BrewHiker
Feb 23, 2009 10:03pm
Thread Board
IF I end up singing that song all night SS, you are in big trouble.

Sounds like a lot of fun though.

Janet *dangit, I think it's taking root*
Re: *mutter* *scream*
Board: Venting Board
Reply to: #354385 by KuKu
Feb 23, 2009 10:07pm
Thread Board
Wish I could come and find it myself in your flowerbed!

Not...

going...

to...

touch...

that one...

*S
Reply to: #354491 by Blooming Flower
Feb 23, 2009 10:08pm
Thread Board
Oh, just wait... I'll post the links to the Brobdingnagian Bards' site where you can listen to them without downloading them!

*S
Re: okay how about your first Dead show?....
Board: The Grateful Letterboxers!
Reply to: #354457 by The Merry Pranksters
Feb 23, 2009 10:17pm
Thread Board
Hehe.. thats funny I saved all my ticket stubs too!
Re: Kitchen renovation ideas requested
Board: Home Improvement
Reply to: #354486 by Puppy Pals
Feb 23, 2009 10:43pm
Thread Board
I recently saw some recycled glass counter tops . . . in a green article. Don't remember the website though.

For flooring they recommended was laminate or oak floor . . . both apparently are made of natural materials. I would not recommend the peel and lay square flooring. We had that when we bought our house in the bathroom. . . it was the first thing we got rid of.

We totally need to get rid of the kitchen . . . I would love to win a re-modeled kitchen contest as my kitchen is horrid! Before the Governor decided to cut my husband's pay we had oh, so many plans . . .

anyways good luck . . . and take before and after pics. I would love to see them.

slick kitty
Reply to: #354493 by BrewHiker
Feb 23, 2009 11:15pm
Thread Board
Brobdingnagian Bards' site where you can listen to them without downloading them!

Now you are scaring me. And, I'm sober. I don't think your allowed to go on a site with that name unless you are unsober.

Janet
Re: first time carver wants to mount stamp - help wanted
Board: Stamp Carving and Mounting
Reply to: #354453 by Force of Five
Feb 23, 2009 11:29pm
Thread Board
Any suggestions?

Even here in England I use Stampeaz for supplies of foam - and other stamp making regalia. However I don't use glue to join the stamp/foam/wood, I use double sided carpet tape which I get from hardware shops.

It is a lot less messy than glue, you don't have to wait for it to dry, and most of them have withstood twenty years out in the wilds without coming apart.

YT
Re: Hancock
Board: Movie Moments
Reply to: #354448 by 5 IS ALIVE
Feb 23, 2009 11:34pm
Thread Board
Overall I liked the movie but didn't care for the way it ended (didn't seem to flow like the rest of the movie).
Re: Logbook button
Board: Suggestion Box
Reply to: #354269 by Trekkie Gal
Feb 23, 2009 11:43pm
Thread Board
*basking in the warmth of everyone's greeting*

Sorry, this is the wrong board for this, but it is so nice to see old friends I couldn't just click the hug button and leave it without a reply. I have been logging in this last year TG, but just too busy to do more than log finds and the occasional lurk :-( Hoping to have a bit more time now for the odd chat or two :-)
Reply to: #354500 by The Yorkshire Tortoise
Feb 23, 2009 11:44pm
Thread Board
I might try that the next time I run out of glue. I've used the E6000 so much I can get it done without any mess to speak of. I'm just used to it.
Re: What, me worry?
Reply to: #353789 by Der Mad Stamper
Feb 23, 2009 11:51pm
Thread Board
Yipeeee!

You're welcome for answering. Stay out of the rain.

MM
Re: penny ultralight campstove
Board: Camping, Backpacking, and the Great Outdoors
Reply to: #354471 by Don and Gwen
Feb 24, 2009 1:07am
Thread Board
Don - that said fire PISTON, not fire pistol. Maybe you just have guns on the brain.

-bt-
Re: CT Snow Report
Board: State: Connecticut
Reply to: #349353 by Trailhead Tessie
Feb 24, 2009 2:24am
Thread Board
Hey Tessie...

That box has been found several times. It is slippery in good conditions, so try to be safe! Do not wait to go at exactly low tide.... arrive as the tide is outgoing,,, just before low tide. That way, you have time on the island before the tide starts coming back!
Re: My son the TV star
Board: State: South Carolina
Reply to: #354447 by The Wolf Family
Feb 24, 2009 2:40am
Thread Board
He is now talking about going to Hollywood, staring in movies and putting his hands in cement.
Reply to: #354490 by theseekers1108
Feb 24, 2009 2:51am
Thread Board
And to think, I was right down the street from Leopards for a few hours.....
Re: Pathtags
Reply to: #354277 by The Wolf Family
Feb 24, 2009 3:18am
Thread Board
We know who you are and I sympathize that you have SM for a brother. Please feel free to join in any time and share any juicy little tidbit of gossip you have on him. We need all the ammo we can get with that one!

Watch what you say on this board, as everyone who is someone lurks here. This ain't Vegas for sure!!

And sweet little MW (Mom Wolf, aka devil in disguise) is not so sweet Sis so keep your mouth shut please.
Re: New Letter boxer, and exited to be!
Board: State: Oklahoma
Reply to: #354483 by Grinning Lady
Feb 24, 2009 3:21am
Thread Board
I'm thinking of signing up for the Ardmore event, even if I only just meet and greet.

You need to. I'm going to be there. That's enough reason for you :o)

Janet
Watauga TX (DFW)
Just down the road a bit from Ardmore
Reply to: #354424 by theseekers1108
Feb 24, 2009 3:49am
Thread Board
Looks like you guys had a wonderful time! What fun!!
Wood6
Re: question about a boston butt I have in the crock pot
Board: Food For Thought
Reply to: #354435 by Puppy Pals
Feb 24, 2009 3:54am
Thread Board
I do this a lot at our house. I put a rub on the meat (ideally overnight, but I never plan that far in advance :)) and then just put the whole thing in the crock pot. No liquid or fluid at all. It pulls a lot of liquid and fat while it is cooking and we don't care for all that, I pour most of it off at the end. I make my own bbq sauce, pull it apart and onto the bun it goes. Of course, my DH requires a bit of coleslaw with it. SO good! Hmmm, that may be on the menu this weekend!
Wood6
Re: First Concert
Reply to: #353977 by hikergirlamy
Feb 24, 2009 3:56am
Thread Board
Before my first concert, my mom brought me to the movie Concert for Bangladesh. A definite eye opening experience for an 11 year old,

First concert Gladys Knight and the Pips opening for Ray Charles at the old Oakdale Theater in Wallingford, CT

My first BIG concert was Elvis Presley in the Civic Center, Hartford CT - July 28, 1976
Quickly followed by Styx opening for Aerosmith

Yes in New Haven in 1978, before going to college, changed my life. Some people say these were Yes' best shows.

First Dead Show New Haven in May 1981 -
http://www.archive.org/details/gd1981-05-12.sbd.5241.shnf
I got freaked out during space and walked around the concourse to settle down and was even more freaked out because so many people were dancing there rather than their seats. There is NOTHING like a Grateful Dead concert.

Last Jerry show - Albany, NY June 1995
http://www.archive.org/details/gd95-06-22.naks.18802.sbeok.shnf

Phirst Phish Show July 2 1995
http://web1.nugs.net/phish/reviews/phish.html

I've been to so many shows over the years - god, so many bands
My last festival was about a year ago on alligator alley in southern Florida - Langerado 2007

This year I'm seriously thinking about going to Mountain Jam and Gathering of the Vibes this year:
http://www.mountainjam.com/
http://gatheringofthevibes.com/2009/Home

toomuchinfo?
Re: safe puppy toys
Board: Critter Corner
Reply to: #354286 by Tri-Colored Paws
Feb 24, 2009 3:57am
Thread Board
I braid scraps of fleece, leftover from sewing projects together, to make toys for my dogs. Because there is no squeaker and no seams, the dogs don't destroy them as quickly as stuffed toys, and even when they do "destroy" the tugs, all I have to do is untie the knot at one end, rebraid, and reknot.

Katy
Re: Kitchen renovation ideas requested
Board: Home Improvement
Reply to: #354486 by Puppy Pals
Feb 24, 2009 4:10am
Thread Board
Don't forget a lazy susan type of cabinet if you are using the corners. My SIL also has a cool little "fold out" drawer in front of her sink, where there is usually just a fake front. IT holds sponges and other small sink items.

One thing I hate about my kitchen (we're slated to remodel in a few years--basement first) is that my sink is almost in the corner. I am left handed, and it is in the left corner, leaving minimal prep space on the left side. I would be looking to shift it more central somehow (Yes, I am a remodel night mare--I'd build if we had the $$)

I second the request for pix!!
Gooooooooood Morningggggg! NC
Feb 24, 2009 4:35am
Thread Board
Morning all... hope you have a wonderful day!!
Reply to: #354453 by Force of Five
Feb 24, 2009 4:38am
Thread Board
I've only mounted one series of 3 on wood (unfinished wood) and I used a foam tape by Scotch that I found in the scrapbooking section at WalMart. It's double sided tape and claims to be very strong. The stamps have been out in the "wild" for over a year and I have not seen, or heard of any evidence of them coming off yet.................
Re: safe puppy toys
Board: Critter Corner
Reply to: #354518 by Katy
Feb 24, 2009 4:40am
Thread Board
I used to to that for my collie. I used denim. At one point I had gotten her a chew ring from a pet shop and I tied that on one end. The weighted end made it easy to throw across the yard. She loved tug of war. :)

dancing pecan
Re: Gooooooooood Morningggggg! NC
Reply to: #354522 by oceanwinds
Feb 24, 2009 4:46am
Thread Board
Good Morning OW !!! GOOD MORNING ALL OF NC !!! State residents and visitors alike !!!

I got to the office on time......... looked at my workload for today.......... did a little bit...... now taking a break.
Judy (the lady who makes the coffee) just came in......so hopefully in a few minutes I'll be having my first cup.... then I'll re evaluate that workload......*LOL*
There is quite a difference between DINA B. BEFORE COFFEE and DINA B. AFTER COFFEE !
OMG there will be NO STOPPIN ME !!!

We had a great day letterboxing yesterday with Turtlelove and her boys. It was a fun day, but we did, as expected, get into trouble with several of our SC friends..... for being there in their area and not letting them know !! YIKES
Perhaps we should change our name to the SNEEKERS.
I should have just blamed Turtlelove..... Darn it.... I didn't think of it in time !!!

If those SC people gang up and come up here after me, y'all will protect me, right ???
RIGHT ??? .................................uh oh *LOL*

Have a WONDERFUL day, friends !!!
HUGS ALL AROUND
Dina B.