Slick Kitty found, unfortunately,
That in these matters often we
Are thwarted by the DMV.
Re: The next book I'm reading is...
Board: Reading Room
Reply to: #350812 by Kizmet
Feb 15, 2009 11:44am
Thread Board
Although it is a young-reader book, I thoroughly enjoyed it.

Would you really consider it a young reader book? I find it a middle school and above. Maybe our defintiions differ :) WHen I think young reader, I think beginning chapter books (Magic Treehouse, JUnie B etc)

I enjoyed the Inkheart series. althoguh I think the first was my favorite.

I also really enjoyed hte House of Night series, although be warned, there is some mature content, so might not be suitable for all young adults--definitely more explicit than the Twilight series in that respect!

Mama Stork--who reads just as many "juvenile" as adult books!
Reply to: #350836 by Puppy Pals
Feb 15, 2009 11:44am
Thread Board
I liked Water for Elephants! Another book I would not have read if not for this list....
Startign a book club
Feb 15, 2009 11:47am
Thread Board
Several moms at my school are interested in starting a book club. For those of you who do this, is there a particular website or book you would recommend to help us get started, pick books, and keep the discussion moving beyond "I liked it" or "I didn't like it"?

Thanks!
Re: Amazing Race!
Board: Television: After the Show Ends
Reply to: #350786 by The Clue Crew
Feb 15, 2009 12:00pm
Thread Board
And Mike White is on this season. He's a great writer for TV/movies (Freaks and Geeks, the Good Girl, Chuck and Buck, and School of Rock.) Now, that should be entertaining!
Re: Beavercreek Event ..Lost and Found
Board: State: Ohio
Reply to: #350781 by Trailtracker
Feb 15, 2009 12:14pm
Thread Board
The two lovebirds with the heartly vine running between them is mine. I finally posted it as 'Lovebirds' today. Sorry to post late. I have a couple of trading cards that will be posted today, too.
Cookie Cutter
Re: President Day Theme
Board: Atlas Quest Announcements
Reply to: #350833 by Green Tortuga
Feb 15, 2009 12:28pm
Thread Board
I deliberately stayed away from modern-day presidents--especially those that were still alive--due to the fact that it could cause controversies where emotions still run high.

I definitely appreciate that... :)

NavyCop
Reply to: #350560 by Kit Kat 61
Feb 15, 2009 12:30pm
Thread Board
I thought it was a better story than The Da Vinci Code, too.
Reply to: #350739 by Cookin' Bookworm
Feb 15, 2009 12:48pm
Thread Board
I've just finished World Without End by Ken Follett. That was a great book! His The Pillars of the Earth was great, too!

loved both of these books. my favorite was pillars. would warn anyone to get ready to skim through the architecture descriptions unless you're really into that. LOL
Re: President Day Theme
Board: Atlas Quest Announcements
Reply to: #350756 by Sally O
Feb 15, 2009 12:50pm
Thread Board
If you want to see all the presidents beginning with George Washington all the way to Barack Obama, check out this site. Each President morphs into the following one. Very nicely done.

http://www.flixxy.com/presidents-morphing.htm

H-A-F
Reply to: #350842 by Mama Stork
Feb 15, 2009 12:54pm
Thread Board
Would you really consider it a young reader book?

The only reason I said it was a young reader book is because when I went to get it at Barnes and Noble, the salesperson took me to the young reader section to find it. I was totally surprised it was there myself. Because of the amount of pages in the books, I would catagorize it more towards young adult reading.
Camp Fire Lady
What a lousy day for urban 'boxing...
Board: State: Washington
Feb 15, 2009 12:56pm
Thread Board
Yesterday was so nice and sunny here in Vancouver, WA, that we decided to head out to a few local spots and play in a couple parks. Thinking that we'd get a few boxes while we were out, we took our gear.

The problem: It was so nice and sunny that everyone else was out and about, and made some of the boxes we were looking for (admittedly, the 'drive-by' variety the kids like) unable to be gotten without being observed.

It seems a little odd, but I was kinda wishing the clouds would roll back in and chase all those 'noxers home! Our only saving grace - we just played like everyone else and had a good time.

HS
Re: Which Way Is North Patch
Board: T-shirts! Patches! Paraphernalia!
Reply to: #338004 by Grrly Girl
Feb 15, 2009 12:57pm
Thread Board
Most definitely! I would be interested in one! Lemme know how much and who to pay when they're in.

Thanks a bunch!
Feb 15, 2009 1:17pm
Thread Board
Yes I would be interested.
Re: do you grind your own coffee beans?
Board: Food For Thought
Reply to: #350826 by shiloh
Feb 15, 2009 1:21pm
Thread Board
Buy smaller quantities. Whole beans will keep for quite a while just in the bag in the cabinet.

yeah, I bought a pound from Sbux and the bag said to use within so many days. I'd have to drink a couple of pots a day to use it that fast. I just stuck the bag in the freezer. You can tell after awhile, but it just makes me drink it faster then, so i can get a new bag.

I like Farmer's Brothers, I think that's what it's called. I can only find it at a a little coffee shop (the old fashioned variety). It's called Joe's Coffee Shop, lol. I buy the pound can for 6 bucks or so. I really like it. I can't find it at the grocers, so it's not that common, mostly in restaurants. Online, I'd have to buy a case of 36 cans. I'd be a fiend in no time, if I bought that much.

I'm out right now and the coffee shop closed at 2, heavy sigh.

janet
Re: Happy Cake Day to...
Board: Happy Cake Day!
Reply to: #350779 by Moon Flowers
Feb 15, 2009 1:22pm
Thread Board
Sorry was late getting up and had to go straight to church

***Throws confetti releases balloons rolls out cake and ice cream***
Re: CharMeck Parks & Rec promoting Letterboxing
Board: State: North Carolina
Reply to: #350834 by WalkinOrange
Feb 15, 2009 1:25pm
Thread Board
Well, I can't get the darn link to come up to take a look at it. I rather doubt they have an active boxer involved, though. Years ago when they did their own series (Greenway boxes) for National trails day, they did consult some with Jensgreycar. They did a bit of a spin off on it -- manufactured stamps and no logbook. They had people patrolling the greenways to catch the 'boxers and interview them on the actual day and see how they liked it.

After that, the boxes went into disrepair and went missing. I mentioned to the person heading it up at the time how to list it on LbNA and offered to help do it, but there was no interest in that. I think the only one that might still exist is the one in McAlpine, and I doubt the clues can even be located on their website anymore.

I know that McDowell has run geocaching classes for years and have known about the letterboxes there too. I also know that the trail manager at the USNWC knows about the boxes there and his wife has tried a little letterboxing.

I'd bet they just got whoever does the geocaching class to just do it. I'm curious, though, what boxes they are taking people too? Sign up and find out for us!
Re: Happy Cake Day to...
Board: Happy Cake Day!
Reply to: #350864 by Goofy girl
Feb 15, 2009 1:27pm
Thread Board
Sorry was late getting up and had to go straight to church

I was only teasing because I love your cake so much. LOL

(((HUGS)))

Moon Flower
8 spots left
Board: LTC: Trades and Trackers
Feb 15, 2009 1:30pm
Board
Are you interested in Alcohol Inks? Have you been wanting to try them but have been afraid to jump in? I know I felt that way! Don't be afraid to join this swap if this is your first time using this type of ink. The more the merrier!

http://www.atlasquest.com/showinfo.html?gTrackerId=2842

There is still plenty of time to join. Cards don't have to be mailed to me until April 17th.

Spirit Seeker
Re: Where is everyone and any letterboxing going on?
Board: State: Maine
Reply to: #350730 by Teacup
Feb 15, 2009 1:33pm
Thread Board
atvracer wants to know which box you got today! I keep trying to remind him that we will always be playing catch-up, since Mudcup has a couple of years of boxing on us.

We tried for a box, but there was too much snow from the snow plowing.
Reply to: #350868 by Jiffy
Feb 15, 2009 1:34pm
Thread Board
2017 on LBNA

mud
Reply to: #350856 by windsurfgator
Feb 15, 2009 1:38pm
Thread Board
I've just finished World Without End by Ken Follett. That was a great book! His The Pillars of the Earth was great, too!

skim through the architecture descriptions

I read Pillars a few years ago and loved it. And yes, I did skim through the architecture descriptions. I am about to begin reading World Without End.
I just finished the new Grisham book, The Associate. Anybody read it? I liked it but hated the ending.

Beachcomber
Feb 15, 2009 1:44pm
Thread Board
I'd want a WWIN patch.

Zinni
Re: What a lousy day for urban 'boxing...
Board: State: Washington
Reply to: #350859 by Happy SAHD
Feb 15, 2009 1:45pm
Thread Board
What...you never tried any of my fool proof methods? I published 'em before but here they are again:

I have a foolproof method for getting rid of people near an urban box..but you have to be fearless and willing to embarrass yourself a little. I call it my as yet unpatented "Obnoxious Cell Phone User Method," developed through extensive field work. It works like this: Go directly to your urban target with any cell phone and pretend to answer it ( you had it set on "vibrate", right?). Begin a loud and obnoxious conversation. My favorites from my own experiences listening to others are :

1) Hi!!!.......What?... Wait, I can't hear you! Where are you calling from?.....I SAID I CAN'T HEAR YOU!....Turn off the radio. No! the RAY DEE O!.....I SAID TURN OFF THE R-A-D-I-O!!!...WHAT?...NO, NOW YOU'RE BREAKING UP!!...I SAID YOU'RE BREAKING UP!!..YES! OK, I CAN HEAR YOU NOW!...WHAT?!?......Wait a sec...(moving slightly) CAN YOU HEAR ME NOW?...I said....CAN YOU HEAR ME NOW?...WHAT?!?...Oh..OK....I'll WAIT..... and etc etc

2) Hello? OH MY GOD! *squealing* How ARE you?!? Ohmygod, I can't believe it's YOU! I have SOOOOO much to tell you, girl! ...Yes!yes!yes!..EVERY WORD. I swear to God,it's all true!...What?.. No, no..not like that. NO! She got it wrong...here's how it went down...Todd told Katie that Marcus wanted to get with her, but she like, hates Marcus's guts cuz he hit on her sister first but then like, pretended he didn't....so she told Todd to tell Marcus to get lost, but then like, she felt bad about it later cuz, you know, Marcus IS pretty hot, so like, she called Todd back and then she goes "What's up?" All innocent you know? But then Todd's thinkin' ..."What's she callin me for?" and he thinks like, Katie must be into HIM, so...he gets all up on her, and he goes..."Hey, baby..why don't you come over and hang out for awhile?" so Katie thinks Todd wants to tell her more about Marcus, so she like goes over there, right?...What?..Yeah yeah..I know!... I KNOW!!! So she still goes over there, right? And then like Todd is all over her and she ...what? Oh god I KNOW! He is SUCH a dog.... etc etc

or my alltime favorite...the "OOZING story"

Hello? Oh, thanks for calling me back. No, no..it's still there...........Well, I first noticed it yesterday morning...it was just a little red and inflamed. What? No..not too much pain...just kind of itchy, ya know?......Yeah, so then I kind of scratched at it on and off all day. No! ( laughing) Well, not in PUBLIC! *looking around and lowering voice a little* Well, I TRY not to... but I can't help it! It was itchin!......Uh huh....Ok, so then like last night when I was going to bed I looked at it and it had gotten huge!... Yup! And it's kinda crusty around the edges but the inside is all kinda sticky and yellow and oozy. Yup...this gross yellowish stuff...yup! And all night I couldn't sleep cuz it was oozy and itchy and everything..it was driving me nuts!.....*scratching general groin area* ...Yep.. Well this morning I have a bunch of 'em. .....Yeah! They're all over the place!....No, but they're driving me nuts!.....*scratching more now*..I couldn't go to work like this! YES YES...I'm washing but I can't help it! *looking around guiltily and scratching more, then wiping hands on shirt* No.. No...just tell me what to do!.... etc etc

I am sure you can think of your own, but in my own experience, people clear out pretty fast with any of these. Hope it helps.

LW
Feb 15, 2009 1:47pm
Thread Board
Count me in as well.
Reply to: #350716 by Jiffy
Feb 15, 2009 1:49pm
Thread Board
I'm here. Just sick again. Been hit really hard and hoping to get it over with before the next event. :) Pups are very time consuming so they have kept me busy. Been working on LTC's and receiving lots of postals in the mail. :) Wishing for the snow to go. Need the warmer air to breath before I can venture outside for too long. The cold air makes my lungs feel like they are on fire. Nasty.

Wish I were boxing and spring was finally here. Enjoy the outside boxing for me. :)
Tri-Colored Paws
Boxing in OBX
Board: State: North Carolina
Feb 15, 2009 1:57pm
Board
I had a great time at the OBX this last week. I printed clues for nearly 30 boxes in the area but could only talk the girls into interrupting their beach play to find a few. Thanks Ellbee for the suggestions and thanks to everyone for planting out there. I went to places I would have just passed by and not taken the time to stop and check out.
I love how this hobby takes me to new places!!!
Sparky252
Re: Funny patches!
Board: The Grateful Letterboxers!
Reply to: #350564 by Lundy and Vickster
Feb 15, 2009 1:59pm
Thread Board
That is nothing compared to her Warrior Woman : Mulan and her Jia Cai Yin PTs. Make sure you get them if you ever get the opportunity. They are amazing!

Ok, can I just say, this is SO WRONG! Not that Sally O's PTs are amazing..I'm sure they are...but that when we exchanged it was right when her crew were trying to leave and we didn't have time to do PTs. :-( So wrong.

Sally O...this means that you MUST attend the Grateful Letterboxer's event. You must. As my son always says..."End of story!" :-)

~zess~
New-- the Symmetry of MC Escher
Board: LTC: Trades and Trackers
Feb 15, 2009 2:06pm
Board
I've created a tracker with a bit of a challenge and would love for folks to take it on with me. :-)

MC Escher was a very interesting artist that is know for alot of things, including what he called Symmetry. You can check it out on the official webpage:

http://www.mcescher.com/

Choose "Galleries", then "Symmetry" at the bottom.

These drawings will be a challenge but could be a really amazing project. In order to faithfully represent the drawings, cards will need to show at least one design repeat so that the viewer can see how it's symmetrical. Are YOU up for it?? Swap launches June 1, 2009.

The tracker is "Symmetry of MC Escher".

GreyCrazy
Reply to: #350730 by Teacup
Feb 15, 2009 2:24pm
Thread Board
It has absolutely beautiful today in Kittery. We're so glad we came! Some boxes easy to get, some too snowed in so we'll have to get then another time!