Skip to Content
Register · Login
About Theme

A Letterboxing Community

Search

Read Messages

CR new boxes and my loooooooooonnnnnnng lunch break!
Board: Region: Southeast
Mar 10, 2005 10:49am
Thread Board
OK, I get really excited when Cherokee Rose plants a new box because I love the FF gifts that she makes and her stamps are always nice!
So this morning when I saw that she had planted 2 boxes, yesterday... And they're right down the road from my office, I got REALLY excited! Then realized that I didn't have my backpack (ie:logbook, stamp, etc.) :(
So after pondering the idea, I decided that I would drive 18 miles home to get my bag, 18 miles back to the park to get FF on these boxes... Even if I would be late back to work.
When I pulled up to the park I had 25 minutes before I HAD to be back!
I started walking towards the trails and the men working at the park were looking at me strange! Maybe because I am dressed in my office slack, sweater and heels! LOL!
I am running through the mud in heels and when I found the first box it seemed to take me forever to stamp in but I got thru it! The second box however - everything went wrong as to add to my lateness! The wind blew my baggies away (I got them back!) I got mud everywhere and dropped all of my markers! After stamping in I hauled booty back to the car and took my little Miata as fast as it could go to get back to work.
See I knew my boss had a meeting at 1pm and that I need to be here to great them. I have an hour for lunch - I left at 11:40 and didn't get back until 1:15, you do the math!
Anyway I am VERY EXCITED to have gottten FF on these and I will NEVER leave my bag at home again!
Great lunch, thank CR!!

Dee
Re: LBA
Board: Atlas Quest Announcements
Reply to: #2845 by judithandsparky
Mar 10, 2005 10:51am
Thread Board
And we have way more than 12 steps.

LOL, and that's what I did!
Carving
Mar 10, 2005 11:22am
Thread Board
I just did my first ever attempt at stamp carving! It was fun (now to see if it will turn out right). I THINK it is all carved, although I haven't been able to get ahold of a stamp pad to try it out. After awhile it looked like a lumpy pink pad. I am HOPING it will look like an eagle's head. We will see...

Brook
Re: Carving
Reply to: #2848 by Brook
Mar 10, 2005 11:25am
Thread Board
Brook use a marker if you have one. Once I think I am finished - I often get the ink on to see it better and then may need to do a little more.
Dee
Reply to: #2848 by Brook
Mar 10, 2005 11:44am
Thread Board
Quote I THINK it is all carved, although I haven't been able to get ahold of a stamp pad to try it out.

You could do what they did in National Treasure to make an impression when you're lacking an ink pad. Just need a little blood to make it work. ;o)

-- Ryan
Reply to: #2850 by Green Tortuga
Mar 10, 2005 11:47am
Thread Board
Ryan - send us some of yours and we'll use that!
Reply to: #2845 by judithandsparky
Mar 10, 2005 12:02pm
Thread Board
Quote we have way more than 12 steps.

Ah, but how many PACES????

DebBee
Reply to: #2850 by Green Tortuga
Mar 10, 2005 12:03pm
Thread Board
You could do what they did in National Treasure to make an impression when you're lacking an ink pad. Just need a little blood to make it work. ;o)

-- Ryan

Hmm...now WHERE did I leave that old boxcutter?

Brook
Reply to: #2852 by DebBee
Mar 10, 2005 12:12pm
Thread Board
Ah, but how many PACES????

DebBee

DebBee-

Paces are SOOO hard to determine! In my last 20 boxes, I have discovered that my pace is MUCH shorter than everyone elses. Like say, for Cherokee Rose-if she says go 30 paces-I go 30 giant steps and then add another 5 feet and I should just about be in the right spot.

Why don;t we just play it safe and work in degrees?

Brook
Re: CR new boxes and my loooooooooonnnnnnng lunch break!
Reply to: #2846 by Dee and Abby
Mar 10, 2005 12:16pm
Thread Board
Quote I decided that I would drive 18 miles home to get my bag, 18 miles back to the park to get FF on these boxes... Even if I would be late back to work.

LOL - this sooo much sounds like something I would do!! Way to go Dee!! Did you have time to clean the mud off your shoes before getting back to work??!!

Maine Mom of 123 Family
Re: CR new boxes and my loooooooooonnnnnnng lunch break!
Reply to: #2855 by She Runs
Mar 10, 2005 12:20pm
Thread Board
Did you have time to clean the mud off your shoes before getting back to work??!!

NOPE!! I walked into the meeting with my boss and some developers and they HAD to ask! Where did you get all that mud on your shoes??? LOL

Dee
Re: Amazing Race
Board: Television: After the Show Ends
Reply to: #2818 by Green Tortuga
Mar 10, 2005 12:52pm
Thread Board
I'm enjoying this season so much more already! I like Rob and Amber just because they are like old friends to me, being the Survivor junkie that I am. I don't care if they win, but I love watching him get stuff done. I haven't decided who I want to win yet either. At least all the teams are more likeable than they were last season, all aspiring actors and models PLEASE! At least these folks seem more like real people. Ron and Kelly did better this week too! She has a "witchy" streak in her though! Wow! Can't wait to see what happens next.
Cherokee Rose is famous!
Mar 10, 2005 1:02pm
Thread Board
Way to go, CR! Did you see that your beer box made Mark & Sue Pepe's blog?

Amyrica
Your very own Rubber Rubberband Man!
Board: Miscellaneous Oddities
Mar 10, 2005 1:17pm
Board
For those of you following my AT adventures and heard about Rubberband Man, I just discovered this website of his. Can't believe he didn't tell me about it himself. Sheeze! He's also the one responsible for that letterboxing article in the Missoula paper.

Anyhow, I figured I'd give him some press here. =) http://www.rubberrubberbandman.com/

They really are fun to play with! But I had no idea he was trying to sell them!

-- Ryan
Reply to: #2854 by Brook
Mar 10, 2005 1:36pm
Thread Board
Like say, for Cherokee Rose-if she says go 30 paces-I go 30 giant steps and then add another 5 feet and I should just about be in the right spot.

This is too funny! I am not that tall!!

CR
Re: Cherokee Rose is famous!
Reply to: #2858 by Amyrica
Mar 10, 2005 1:37pm
Thread Board
Way to go, CR! Did you see that your beer box made Mark & Sue Pepe's blog?

No, I didn't. What does this mean?

CR
Reply to: #2862 by Cherokee Rose
Mar 10, 2005 1:51pm
Thread Board
Quote No, I didn't. What does this mean?

It means you're famous!!!! =)

-- Ryan, glad to help!
Reply to: #2862 by Cherokee Rose
Mar 10, 2005 2:07pm
Thread Board
Mar 10, 2005 2:24pm
Thread Board
Quote I have discovered that my pace is MUCH shorter than everyone elses. Like say, for Cherokee Rose-if she says go 30 paces-I go 30 giant steps and then add another 5 feet and I should just about be in the right spot. Why don;t we just play it safe and work in degrees?
Brook

I'll have to remember that when we make it up to Cherokee County.

I liked Amyrica's "small woman" steps in Smiling Face. I counted them and ended up exactly where I was supposed to be.
Scooters Mom
Reply to: #2865 by Scooters Mom
Mar 10, 2005 4:10pm
Thread Board
Cherokee Rose-if she says go 30 paces-I go 30 giant steps and then add another 5 feet

That is funny! She's not that tall and although a bit shorter than she is it's not that big a difference for me... Brook how tall are you? Just curious LOL! ;)

Dee
Reply to: #2864 by DebBee
Mar 10, 2005 4:15pm
Thread Board
Ah Ryan,
Another reason to put Mark and Sue's place furhter up on "My Page" !!
Re: Ryan, I just noticed
Reply to: #2842 by Green Tortuga
Mar 10, 2005 5:08pm
Thread Board
No, the person who posted that message deleted it. Probably because they asked a question and figured out the answer themselves.

-- Ryan

This happened to me the other day--I posted a reply, my computer spooled and eventually timed out, so I backed through and reposted--the message eventually posted twice. So I deleted the additional copy.
Re: Ryan we need a letterboxers Anonymous board!! LOL
Reply to: #2844 by Dee and Abby
Mar 10, 2005 5:29pm
Thread Board
Quote OK! Realizing that I am much more addicted than I thought I feel that we need a place to discuss our out of hand actions.... Work is interfering with my boxing or I am letting my boxing interfere with my job LOL!!!

So, so true. I am thinking of adding a new set of letters to my PFX count. I'm not one of those ones that has a long list of things I count, but I've wondered if I shouldn't add a count for letterboxes found or planted in a business skirt and heels. Sometimes the bug just hits or I'm in a different area b/c of my work, and I just have to go see what's in the new area.

I have to confess I completely shredded a pair of nylons last month and ruined some leather gloves as I decided I just "had to" plant a couple of stamps that I had sitting in my car forever. I thought I was going to plant them earlier, but couldn't find a good hiding spot. They just sat in my car for the longest time until I just couldn't take it and I found a small wildlife area in the town I was doing a presentation for. I didn't go out too far, but I climbed around through about two feet of snow and around these rock formations in a skirt, heels, and the aforementioned-now completely shredded-nylons. I must have been the strangest site--dressed like that running around the area and digging in the snow looking for holes in rock formations.

Yesterday I was nearly late for an appointment because I went and found two boxes in a town I had to go to for a regional meeting. I must have been a bit of an odd site in my suit going down a nature trail. I had to be really careful to be discreet. I've found so many of my boxes when I snuck away from meetings.

So . . .

Hi, my name is Cadenza, and I'm a letterboxaholic. I've been clean for . . . well . . . I relapsed last night and I'm really feeling pulled to go again tonight. That's why I'm here now.
Mar 10, 2005 5:55pm
Thread Board
Quote Paces are SOOO hard to determine! In my last 20 boxes, I have discovered that my pace is MUCH shorter than everyone elses. Like say, for Cherokee Rose-if she says go 30 paces-I go 30 giant steps and then add another 5 feet and I should just about be in the right spot.

Why don;t we just play it safe and work in degrees?

Brook

Hey, Brook.

Often in clues a pace actually equals two steps so 30 paces would be 60 steps. Sounds like that might be about right based on what you said.

Of course, only CR knows how she measures them.

Knit Wit
Re: Mt. St. Helen's
Reply to: #2812 by bzmom
Mar 10, 2005 6:00pm
Thread Board
Here's a link to a bunch of great pictures of Mount St Helens.

http://vulcan.wr.usgs.gov/Volcanoes/MSH/

dvn2r ckr
Reply to: #2867 by bzmom
Mar 10, 2005 6:05pm
Thread Board
Quote Another reason to put Mark and Sue's place furhter up on "My Page" !!

Don't worry--it will be in the next big update. Probably around mid-April, at this point. I'd do it sooner, but I don't like the idea of uploading new code just before leaving for Panama for a couple of weeks because if something goes wrong, it won't be easy for me to fix it out there!

But shortly after getting back, I should have lots of fun new stuff to upload. =)

-- Ryan
Reply to: #2873 by Green Tortuga
Mar 10, 2005 6:11pm
Thread Board
But shortly after getting back, I should have lots of fun new stuff to upload. =)

Yippee!! Can't wait!
Reply to: #2870 by Cadenza
Mar 10, 2005 6:35pm
Thread Board
So . . .

Hi, my name is Cadenza, and I'm a letterboxaholic. I've been clean for . . . well . . . I relapsed last night and I'm really feeling pulled to go again tonight. That's why I'm here now.

My name is Dee and I AM A letterboxeraholic. I've been clean for 8 hours and 26 minutes- I wish I could go out at night! Sure would give me more time to use!!!
Reply to: #2875 by Dee and Abby
Mar 10, 2005 6:49pm
Thread Board
It already exists...

www.leecomputers.com/letterboxing
Reply to: #2864 by DebBee
Mar 10, 2005 7:45pm
Thread Board
OK OK,,, I FINALLY saw the page everyone has been talking about! How cool! But why me?!

But, Thanks Mark & Sue for promoting my box.

CR