Register · Login

A Letterboxing Community

Search

Read Messages

Sig stamp & SE boxes
Board: Region: Southeast
Mar 4, 2005 4:37pm
Thread Board
I posted my new signature stamp with my profile last night, if anyone's interested. (I said I'd do it after the gathering, and I finally got to it.)

Also, I was pleased to see two boxes I found back in 2003 added to Atlasquest today!

DebBee
Bagging and stuff
Board: Atlas Quest Announcements
Mar 4, 2005 4:50pm
Board
This is cool! So we now have some new go-by's

Double bag the log book - Yes Yes
Double bag the stamp - Yes?
Bag the box - NO NO
Don't change the box without asking, even if you think you're being nice and helpful.
Re: Busted!
Board: State: West Virginia
Reply to: #1784 by Green Tortuga
Mar 4, 2005 5:19pm
Thread Board
Mapsurfer #7 met the same fate in the same park. Some places are just too unfriendly for their own good.

I certainly think Harper's Ferry is a place to avoid. Not only in terms of letterboxes staying viable for a long time, but when you only have so much travel time and travel funds, I certainly would save it for places where I'm welcome.
Re: some unwritten plastic baggy rule?
Reply to: #2629 by daelphinus
Mar 4, 2005 5:27pm
Thread Board
Quote I'm debating whether to post this to the letterboxing-usa board or not? Just want to see if this is a local occurrence or something more substantial before I {{{insight}}} a possible (likely) flame war! ;)

I have little doubt it would start a flame war, but hey, something the truth hurts. *shrug* For the good of mankind, however, or at least the letterboxing-kind, I'd say it's worth the risk.

For my part, I'll add the thought to the Atlas Quest FAQs and try to discourage people from using the outer bags. =)

-- Ryan
Re: AL Trip Planning
Board: State: Alabama
Reply to: #2445 by BOXDN
Mar 4, 2005 5:31pm
Thread Board
I'll confirm Yellow Hammer as being there on 1-16-05. Only had time for that quick sprint, so I don't know about the other ones at Oak Mountain.
Re: some unwritten plastic baggy rule?
Reply to: #2628 by daelphinus
Mar 4, 2005 7:09pm
Thread Board
want to see if this is a local occurrence or something more substantial before I insight a possible (likely) flame war! ;)

:-) I'll be right behind you... with a fire extinguisher!

SteveS
Re: Do you have a inny or outy bag/ waterproof tape
Reply to: #2635 by BOXDN
Mar 4, 2005 7:13pm
Thread Board
Hey, Steve!

Jerry Rig Tip #31: Duct tape also comes in...

This is another Cajun-rigged duck tape thing, right? ;-)

How many do you have? Is there a list on your website?

SteveS

Just wondering what else I can do with this 500-foot roll of duck tape...
You Know You're Addicted to Letterboxing When...
Mar 4, 2005 7:18pm
Thread Board
... the floor of your truck and the floor under your desk at work closely resemble the floor of the woods in which you were walking at lunchtime, looking for places to hide... well, you know...
Re: waterproof tape
Reply to: #2645 by BrewHiker
Mar 4, 2005 7:24pm
Thread Board
I guess I should have called it a 'Boudreaux rig'. No I don't have a list but you may have inspired me to do just that. I have had friends tell me to write a book, but ever since I was pulled from the matrix it's hard to down load my thoughts (thankfully).

Quote Just wondering what else I can do with this 500-foot roll of duck tape...

Duct tape is only one of the must haves when preforming a Boudreaux rig fix. I fixed my leaky radiator in my truck with a plastic shopping bag when boxing in GA.( but thats only cause I didn't have my trusty dusty duct tape.

Boxdn
Re: Ryan's Great Adventures! =)
Board: Writer's Workshop
Reply to: #2625 by Green Tortuga
Mar 4, 2005 8:34pm
Thread Board
I enjoyed reading your stories. Especially since we were just at Disney in Feb. I do believe the truck box went missing sometime after we visited, I remember reading it somewhere. We did find the Pirates box. It was hard to stamp into and return. Luckily, I have children to help create a diversion. Can't believe you got sick on Mission Space: the kids and I loved it!

bzmom (AKA the C team)
Re: You Know You're Addicted to Letterboxing When...
Reply to: #2646 by BrewHiker
Mar 4, 2005 8:49pm
Thread Board
You have little itsy bitsy slivers of white carving medium all over the area near where you carve stamps. You know when your spouse is addicted too when nothing is said about the slivers.
Don
Nothing to do with the Tortuga Verde
Mar 4, 2005 8:58pm
Board
Ok Ryan, you might think that our latest box has something to do with you, but you would be wrong. We have been passing the sign(in the clues) for ever so long, and I was tempted to carve the image of the woman on the sign, but I didn't have the guts(yes I'm just a coward on somethings). Anyway I figured that this is a great location for a "Desert Tortoise" so thus the name. If any SoCal folks are heading up to Mammoth check out this extremely well endowed babe on the sign.
Don
Reply to: #2646 by BrewHiker
Mar 4, 2005 9:02pm
Thread Board
...you decide that buying an old 5th wheel for long distance letterboxing might be a better use of your tax return than paying off that high intrest credit card.
Re: Yesterday/Brook
Reply to: #2518 by Brook
Mar 5, 2005 10:35am
Thread Board
Quote Who would have thought that Santa would have been hiding in the woods of Gwinnett County?
Brook
Reply to: #2518 by Brook
Mar 5, 2005 10:46am
Thread Board
Oops...started to write, but I hit send too early <blush>

I'll try again now

Quote Who would have thought that Santa would have been hiding in the woods of Gwinnett County

Did this hitch hiker pass through Gainesville FL? Was it a tiny store bought Santa?
I think it might have been the first hitch hiker that I have found! And where is Gwinnett County located?
Adam, its owner, isn't an Atlas Quest member. But I can
e-mail him to let him know where it's at.

Thanks for any info

Sits N Knits ....PS I'm glad Santa brightened a sad letterboxing day. I hate the thought of any trees being bulldozed down anyway =0/
GREAT DAY!
Mar 5, 2005 3:10pm
Thread Board
WOW! What a day we had! The weather was beautiful, the company grand. Could'nt have asked for a better letterboxing experience. Thanks everyone!

CR
Judith
Reply to: #2655 by Cherokee Rose
Mar 5, 2005 3:11pm
Thread Board
Almost forgot. CONGRATULATIONS JUDITH & SPARKY ON YOU'RE 100th FIND!!!!!!

CR
RE: You know you're addicted when . . .
Mar 5, 2005 4:26pm
Board
Hikers n Hounds had a really funny post on another board. She had made supper and left it on the stove for her son working second shift. When she got up the next morning, someone had put LEFT OVERS in one of her Rubbermaid boxes! It took her a few seconds to realize "Oh, yeah. That's what they were originally for anyway!" I was ROFL!
FANTASTIC DAY (or F100!)
Mar 5, 2005 4:28pm
Board
Cross posting! Please go to LbSE group for details! Sparky and I are still celebrating.
Re: Judith
Reply to: #2656 by Cherokee Rose
Mar 5, 2005 4:39pm
Thread Board
Yes, congrats to Judith and the super-Sparky!

We were in the car, heading to find the Lullwater Easter Egg when Shooting T suddenly felt really ill. We turned around and let her sleep it off. She's feeling first rate again and we plan to head that way tomorrow afternoon!

I've made a mental note that if she has a sleepover again and we're planning to go lboxing the next day, she must be asleep by a specific time or she'll face serious consequences! No more lack-of-sleep-induced ailments for causing ME to miss letterboxing. :-)

Amyrica (the wiser mom)
Current Rotation
Board: Musical Musings
Mar 5, 2005 4:56pm
Thread Board
Quote BTW, I'm still laughing over the Owens/Osbourne dichotomy.

I laughed out loud at work about this! Who cares, they think I'm crazy anyway!

So, what am I listening to now?

You can leave your hat on while you cry, cry baby because you're just dust blowing in the wind.
Re: Sig stamp & SE boxes
Reply to: #2639 by DebBee
Mar 5, 2005 6:28pm
Thread Board
Cool stamp, DebBee. Now come up to Asheville so I get that stamp in an exchange! ;-)

Knit Wit
Re: Farley Flyer
Board: Hitchhikers, Cooties, and Fleas
Reply to: #2240 by pilgrimsinthisland
Mar 5, 2005 6:59pm
Thread Board
Farley Flyer picked up today from Palm Springs & headed East!
Letter-Book-Boxes
Mar 5, 2005 7:54pm
Thread Board
Hi to all in letterbox Land,

This is a first time post on AQ for me and it deals with another special form of letterboxes. The ones inside of books.
You do not need baggies on these. They are safe and sound on bookshelves. There are many books discarded and destroyed these days. Some of the thicker ones can be put to good use by turning them into letter-book-boxes. There are two in Southern New York and probably many others in other states, though I do not know for sure.
These L-B-B's are easy to get to, since they are in buildings and safe from the weather.
One problem is size. The stamp, log book,ink pad & pen have to be small enough to placed inside a 2" -3" book that has been hollowed out.
Permission had been necessary for these to keep them in there original locations.
So lets hide more in places that anyone can go to and bring the fun to everyone! Budster of the Catskills
Re: Letter-Book-Boxes
Reply to: #2663 by budster2
Mar 5, 2005 8:14pm
Thread Board
I'm totally in favor of LBBs!

We're supposed to be getting a new library in our city, but the old one's okay.

Small local bookstores are also good options, even for regular boxes. There's one hidden in a bookstore in historic Roswell, GA. I've got one in the display case at a small local outdoors shop (hint... hint...), hoping a non-LBXer will see it and get hooked.

SteveS
Reply to: #2651 by Weyrwoman
Mar 5, 2005 8:17pm
Thread Board
... your soon-to-be-two-years-old son recognizes where you've hidden your letterboxes—and can clearly say "letterbox!"
Reply to: #2663 by budster2
Mar 5, 2005 11:22pm
Thread Board
Hi Budster

I just finished my book box tonight. I should have it planted in Gainesville, FL on Mon. or Tues.
So be on the look out for the Coffee Culture Clues!

But I still like the outdoor boxes. Any good excuse for a walk in the woods.

Sits N Knits
Reply to: #2666 by Sits N Knits
Mar 6, 2005 7:54am
Thread Board
While I havn't done any of these myself, there are a few out in Rhode Island -- around 5-7 in 3 different libraries. In the Summer of 2004 the Rhode Island libraries began a letterboxing program that hid letterboxes throughout 20-30 libraries around the state - inside and outside. They were pulled once summer ended, but libraries and letterboxes are still around in RI!

Buddy
Reply to: #2667 by Buddy and Pigtographer
Mar 6, 2005 8:06am
Thread Board
We have several of these in Oregon, but the majority of the ones I've seen around here do not have an ink pad or pen in them, just the stamp and log book. I believe that's a very regional thing, most of the boxes around here do not have a stamp pad in them either, we all carry our own.

I do like indoor boxes though, I even have a few of my own, and have a few in the works :)

Maiden
Re: Letter-Book-Boxes--VIRTUAL
Reply to: #2668 by Maiden
Mar 6, 2005 9:23am
Thread Board
Hi!

If you weren't aware of this one, there is a letterbook in a small VT town. However, since most of us might never make it there, the placer has been kind enough to offer it virtually. It's a fun one for those folks that love deciphering codes and doing a little internet/book research.

http://www.sover.net/~tcooch/kimball.htm

Enjoy!
Amyrica