About Theme

A Letterboxing Community

Search

Read Messages

Letterbug...
Board: Virtuals
Aug 5, 2008 11:10pm
Board
I don't know if anyone else saw this, but Sits and Knits posted here about our late friend, Letterbug: http://www.atlasquest.com/boards/message.html?gMsgId=262118 She apparently had a heart attack just 2 days ago.

I call her our late friend because I know many of you, like myself, cut your virtual teeth on her huge series of virtual Disney boxes. I honestly thought that digital images were what virtual boxes were all about because of her. I actually used to set time aside on the holidays to wokr on the boxes and always enjoyed messaging her when I'd gotten one right...she was really a riot to "talk" with, even just through AQ mail. I had even planned to meet her the next time the Highlander and I went to Disneyworld, but that time never quite came. Now I'm seeing what folks mean about hindsight being 20/20...

Anyway, I don't think I've ever been more taken aback by the passing of someone I'd never met outside of a celebrity, but this one really got me. Sits and Knits was a close friend of hers, so if you have time, e-mail her some support to help her through this difficult time.

The S & H
I finally did it and it is great!!
Board: Stamp Carving and Mounting
Aug 5, 2008 11:11pm
Thread Board
I am new to letterboxing and have been trying to carve a signature stamp for myself. I ran out to the store and got the Seedball set of gouges and began carving on erasers that I had gotten, on clearance, last year. I was very unhappy with the results. So I decided to order some pink stuff from Stampeaz and while I was at it I decided to pick up a Staedtler 1. It came in last week, but I have been too busy to carve. I was so pleased tonight when I used the pink stuff and Staedtler it made such a difference and I finally have a signature stamp that I love. No more store bought stamp! :-)

I know you are all asking why I am posting about this, but I just wanted to say thank you for the tutorial that said to just get the Staedtler it is worth it. Also, if there are any other new people out there thinking about carving and are not sure which one to get, I wanted to say just spent the little extra and get the Staedtler. I love it.

I hope this post is not out of place, but I was so happy I had to share.

Moon Flowers
Re: I finally did it and it is great!!
Reply to: #262664 by Moon Flowers
Aug 5, 2008 11:15pm
Thread Board
Good for you! Now are you going to put your new sig stamp on your profile?

Shiloh
Re: Wiiiiiiiiiiii ROCK!
Board: Games People Play
Reply to: #262636 by Shadohart
Aug 5, 2008 11:17pm
Thread Board
Okay, I'll add you to mine as well, Tee!
Reply to: #262625 by AceoHearts
Aug 5, 2008 11:18pm
Thread Board
I tried adding you a week or so ago, Ace...did it work?
Re: 5 minute chocolate mug cake
Board: Food For Thought
Reply to: #262653 by Blue Box Girl
Aug 5, 2008 11:22pm
Thread Board
WTA Hike-a-thon LTC and WOM clue!
Board: State: Washington
Aug 5, 2008 11:46pm
Board
For those folks who sponsor me for the WTA Hike-a-thon, I have a special "reward" for you. A "Word of Mouth" LTC that comes with a clue to an actual letterbox recently planted here in Washington State.

If you are interested, all you have to do is donate to help protect and preserve Washington Trails.

https://www.gifttool.com/athon/MyFundraisingPage?ID=1468&AID=383&PID=39020

And you can keep up with my adventures hiking on my blog at:

http://www.samanark.blogspot.com

-Amanda from Seattle
Re: not logging trades... :(
Board: LTC: Trades and Trackers
Reply to: #262628 by Dixie
Aug 5, 2008 11:53pm
Thread Board
once you search for author, it's even easier to right click on the box's name and pick open in new tab, then mark them found and close the tab. when I get a ton from one person, I usually make one note and mention all the cards, then just mark the rest found without a note.

romana
Re: 1st Day of School
Board: Homeschooling
Reply to: #262656 by bridgetscouting
Aug 5, 2008 11:55pm
Thread Board
we start tomorrow. she's excited, but didn't want to go to bed early tonight. I had to remind her that 6am comes early. (she has one class at the local HS that starts at 7:30 before coming home to do the rest of her work)

romana
Re: 1st Day of School
Board: Homeschooling
Reply to: #262656 by bridgetscouting
Aug 6, 2008 1:17am
Thread Board
We began yesterday (sort of). We're fighting a cold, though, so we've been taking it slow so far. I just ordered my books on Sunday, so we're mainly doing elective-type stuff right now. It's been fun.

What curriculum are you using?

Mandy
gj
Reply to: #262476 by Naturegirl
Aug 6, 2008 1:27am
Thread Board
Hi Naturegirl!

I occasionally get catalogs from Gooseberry Patch. I think it's neat that you work for them. :o)

*waving from south Georgia*
Mandy
gj
Reply to: #262647 by shiloh
Aug 6, 2008 1:33am
Thread Board
Well see, I thought 'thread' was supposed to take you back to the start of the thread.

I always click on "structure," and then I click on the first post. It's always at the top. I'd never clicked on "thread" before. I'll try to keep that button in mind in the future.

Mandy
gj
Re: Waverly Hill Sanatorium
Board: State: Kentucky
Reply to: #262662 by The Toadfrogs
Aug 6, 2008 1:44am
Thread Board
going to check it out now!
Re: Waverly Hill Sanatorium
Board: State: Kentucky
Reply to: #262662 by The Toadfrogs
Aug 6, 2008 1:52am
Thread Board
I just posted a blog on MySpace about Waverly. You'll have to check it out.

I saw PLENTY!

I'll say you did! Holy Cow, Batman! That must have been soooo cool! Can't wait until I can go. Wonder if I can talk Ace into going with me...

~J
Re: Heads Up on Boxes
Board: State: New York
Reply to: #262414 by AceoHearts
Aug 6, 2008 2:58am
Thread Board
AceoHearts,
I'm sorry ot hear of the trouble you're having with the boxes. I found several of Infinity's boxes not hidden well and rehid them after stamping in. In the case of her boxes, the last person to stamp in seemed to be very young-it was signed with the name "and parents". I let Infinity know about it and hopefully the person who did it will realized it's important to rehide the boxes well. I hope (at least for the next couple weeks) you won't put a plant restriction on your boxes-I have several stamps carved, I just haven't found or made logbooks yet, so they haven't been planted. I hope to plant a couple before the Syracuse Minimeet. Lunarcy
Re: Spray Glue
Reply to: #262661 by Kirbert
Aug 6, 2008 3:08am
Thread Board
But which is the better cost value?
Re: Logging Non-AQ finds?
Board: Letterboxing Help Desk
Reply to: #262461 by urbansix
Aug 6, 2008 3:30am
Thread Board
This won't really LOG your non AQ finds, but several non premium members (myself included) type the non AQ finds under free flowing thoughts. It doesn't change your F-count (obviously) but at least you have a record on your profile of what boxes you found and/or attempted.

dancing pecan
Re: Lizzie Borden box replaced
Board: State: Massachusetts
Reply to: #262532 by lazyletterboxer
Aug 6, 2008 3:43am
Thread Board
Thank you for replacing. Tri-Force
Re: Tooth Fairy Insurance
Board: State: Ohio
Reply to: #262575 by Granny Butterfly
Aug 6, 2008 4:36am
Thread Board
I loved the story in the clue. And the stamp is great. And wow, his new signature stamp is Fantastic!!!!! :-)
Re: Upcoming Travel to the Lovely Gamecock State!
Board: State: South Carolina
Reply to: #262581 by resQlou
Aug 6, 2008 4:42am
Thread Board
Yes we had a blast! The crowds were very managable - for a hot day at an amusement park. There were several times we were offered the opportunity to ride again when the roller coaster came back into the station because there weren't many waiting. (Maybe that's why I don't like the water park - you can ride again, but you have to carry your own tube back up the steps to restart.)

Caleb took a friend who had to be introduced to roller coasters. And I think we did a good job there. He didn't like one of the rides - but at the end of the day, he was braver and re-rode it. LOL

Ü
Re: A Skywalker Sig Stamp
Reply to: #262626 by Wild Dreams
Aug 6, 2008 4:49am
Thread Board
Thank you! =)
Re: Heads Up on Boxes
Board: State: New York
Reply to: #262677 by Lunarcy
Aug 6, 2008 4:51am
Thread Board
I only have a couple of boxes out there right now and most of them have an F count to see them. It's low, 10 I think, because they're in areas where you need to be sneaky and rehide well. I felt bad about doing it but hey, it's only 10 and if you're really into boxing you'll see the clues soon enough :) I'm just paranoid they will go missing because someone doesn't quite have the rehiding grasp yet. I recently found my friend's Tracks series at Beaver Lake and almost ALL of them were out in the open, I don't even know how they weren't muggled. It's frustrating that some people getting into LBing don't take the time to research it and hide them better than they found them but that's just the way it is.
Re: HELP!!!
Reply to: #262543 by The Engraver
Aug 6, 2008 4:59am
Thread Board
This might be Linda of Maumee.
Re: HELP!!!
Reply to: #262685 by speedsquare
Aug 6, 2008 5:04am
Thread Board
Ahh, she may have changed her trailname to Maumee Muse.
Re: Coming to SC on Vacation
Reply to: #262652 by Girls Together
Aug 6, 2008 5:16am
Thread Board
Wow, there are quite a few on LBNA! I looked up these state parks and they look like they'd be really nice.
Thanks again! :-)
Re: Smuggling
Board: State: North Carolina
Reply to: #262624 by honeychile
Aug 6, 2008 5:26am
Thread Board
Quote The underwear stories are funny there.

The one about the woman who left the label on her husband's underwear is a hoot!!! Thanks for the link!

Knit wit
Reply to: #262666 by Sprite and Highlander
Aug 6, 2008 5:29am
Thread Board
Yay! I was thinking like you Sprite, when I saw that it asked for friends... ummm... what friends? Heh. Then I remember that I studiously ignored the Wii discussions on here cause I didn't have one and couldn't find one even though I'd saved forever to get one! *wink*

Can't wait to see if my Mii goes for a visit!
Help
Board: State: Michigan
Aug 6, 2008 5:33am
Thread Board
While LBing in MI we found a HH in one box at Hines park that we cannot find any info about.
It is in a small metal Jelly Belly tin and called "March of Dimes" placed 4-27-08. Nice carving of two little feet. It began at Hudson Mills Metro Park Dexter, MI. It was found by Digus, Westland, MI on 5/5/08. No info on them either. Would like to find out who planted it & where it is listed. AQ or LBNA.

Thanks for any help.

Traveling Duo
Re: Smurfy Birthday - NO CAKE!
Reply to: #262531 by resQlou
Aug 6, 2008 5:35am
Thread Board
Quote wish you could come !!

So she says...

Actually this is her clever plan coming to fruition. You see, all those years ago *snicker* she planned to be born on Aug. 7 just so Ghopper couldn't come to her party in 2008!

What an evil mastermind! LOL

Knit Wit

P.S. I'm allowed to joke about Lou's age because I just had my birthday Sunday and I bet I'm older than she is. ;-)
Re: Possible New LTC
Board: LTC: Trades and Trackers
Reply to: #262598 by Rockin Lunch Lady
Aug 6, 2008 5:36am
Thread Board
I'd love one. I've emailed you. Thanks.