A Letterboxing Community

Search

Read Messages

Re: Trying to emboss a stamp...
Board: Stamp Carving and Mounting
Reply to: #256970 by Sally O
Jul 24, 2008 6:13pm
Thread Board

Tips for Embossing - compiled from online sources and some freshly written.

• Embossing powder will stick to any moist, freshly stamped image, but special slow-drying embossing ink and the pigment ink pads stay wet longer and make embossing easier.
  • Oils from your skin can get on the paper from handling it. If the powder sticks where you don't want it to, use a soft brush to remove it. A quick wipe with a used fabric softener sheet before stamping will also help to prevent static cling.
  • You can also use an Embossing Buddy. Available in craft stores or make your own with double knit fabric and corn starch.
  • When cutting out an embossed image, do not cut into the embossed lines. This will cause the embossing powder to flake off.
  • Hold the heat gun 6 inches or so from the card and sweep it back and forth or go in circles. Key is to not leave it in one place too long. as you get a feel for your powder, you can do it faster.
  • I leave the card sitting for about 30 seconds or so to let the powder "stick" real well before tapping off the excess.

What do you mean by:
put a thin coat of glycerin and color the stamp
Re: What's up with all the geo-bashing?
Board: Geocaching and Other Stashing Games
Reply to: #256968 by Lone R
Jul 24, 2008 6:14pm
Thread Board
100 within a 1 mile radius - hmmm, caches can't be placed within .1 miles of each other -- I'm not good at math but I think there'd be maybe 10 caches within a 1 mile radius.

Let's see, if we say it's a square instead of a circle, and each side is 2 miles (1 mile radius = 2 mile diameter), then if you had caches spaced exactly 0.1 mile apart you would have 20 caches per side squared or 20 x 20 = 400 caches. That's insane! What did I do wrong? Also, stages of a multicache aren't included in the 0.1 mile restrictions, so you could theoretically have more caches (but not more listings).
Re: An idea?
Board: LTC: Trades and Trackers
Reply to: #256942 by speedsquare
Jul 24, 2008 6:15pm
Thread Board
You don't happen to have a Renaissance age map that you would like to sell, would you?
Eeny Meany Miney Moe
*preping for history class*
new ring - warrior women
Board: Postals
Jul 24, 2008 6:16pm
Thread Board
I’m starting a new postal ring called Warrior Women. You can carve any woman warrior, real (past or present), fictional, mythological, etc. But, she has to be a true physical fighter – no Nancy Reagan, war on drugs type of thing. Can’t wait to see what everyone comes up with!

It’s an open ring, but I don’t have the linking thing down, so just check under Warrior Women. We’ll start October 1.
Prayers needed for a friend
Board: Prayer and Healing
Jul 24, 2008 6:16pm
Thread Board
My one friend from high school just lost her boy friend/ fiance in a car accident and she isn't doing very well! Please keep her and his family in your thoughts and prayers! Thank you!

Penguin_Girl22 (20)
York, Pa
Reply to: #256968 by Lone R
Jul 24, 2008 6:21pm
Thread Board
100 within a 1 mile radius - hmmm, caches can't be placed within .1 miles of each other -- I'm not good at math but I think there'd be maybe 10 caches within a 1 mile radius. But I know what you're saying - it feels like 100.

If only cachers followed that rule.
Re: LBCon
Board: State: Ohio
Reply to: #256871 by Mn8X
Jul 24, 2008 6:25pm
Thread Board
Stacey those boys will get us every time, won't they?
Granny
Random Clip Art Images?
Board: Stupider Questions About Letterboxing
Jul 24, 2008 6:28pm
Thread Board
What are the random clip art images that change every day on Atlas Quest. Like today at the bottom there is a piece of pie and a pi chart. Sometimes there is one floating in the top right. Is this just for fun? Or am I missing something?
Re: Grumpy Grinch
Board: State: California
Reply to: #256924 by Grumpy Grinch
Jul 24, 2008 6:31pm
Thread Board
Grumpy's office staff gave him that name after years of working with him.

Well, i would think the staff were the ones that were grumpy from what i know of the sweetest nicest letterboxing part of a couple that i know.

deniserows
with a staff of 8
Re: our state magazine
Board: State: North Carolina
Reply to: #256943 by The Wolf Family
Jul 24, 2008 6:32pm
Thread Board
After my experience, I wouldn't avoid the press completely but I would be very careful with what I say and share. It's nice to share the fun of letterboxing with others and grow the hobby but publicizing it to potential vandals isn't helpful either. That said, I think "Our State" attracts good people so I think it will be good for local letterboxing. But still keep your secrets a secret. Don't trust "just between us" to stay that way.

The Story:
Basically the reporter ignored my request to not be named (at the time I worked for a competing local media outlet so being mentioned could have gotten me in trouble at work), she mentioned how I was trespassing (not in those words, but she mentioned how I found boxes in a park that is off-limits to non-residents like myself), and she directly listed the URLs of local boxes on Atlas Quest (which Ryan had to change to protect them). The original article in the Charlotte Observer is now gone but here's what I blogged when it happened.
Reply to: #256977 by Trailhead Tessie
Jul 24, 2008 6:36pm
Thread Board
Also, stages of a multicache aren't included in the 0.1 mile restrictions

Are you sure TT? I thought they were.
Re: Using addresses
Reply to: #256949 by winged gypsy
Jul 24, 2008 6:37pm
Thread Board
Quote Recently there has been a thread on the traditional LB board aout using postcards in boxes - they were also talking about comfort levels of putting your address on such things. I wanted to get your opinions on this matter of safety because you all mail everything to one another. What do you think??

Maybe you can elaborate - what is your concern - what are you worried about?

If someone is worried about giving out their home address - they can get a PO box or mail to their workplace. If they are worried about names - only use your trail name (there are many people that do that).

I participated in the discussion on the other board, and like I said - I don't really feel nervous about people who are creating art to share (and I've done postals, etc with many of these folks for 2 years) Doesn't mean I overlook sensible precautions, but you just have to do what YOU feel comfortable with.

I have some traditional boxes on our farm, and those clues are WOM and by appointment only. I have to know when you are coming, and meet you for you to find these boxes. This is more of a liability concern on the part of my husband, who doesn't want (with good reason!) people wandering around our farm unattended. I've done the farm boxes for 1 1/2 years and everyone has been respectful of my "rules" and concerns.

Mama Fox
Re: introducing myself
Board: State: New Hampshire
Reply to: #256531 by gollygee
Jul 24, 2008 6:40pm
Thread Board
Thanks for the tip :) *wink* I will remember that... no carving when adult liquid around and being consumed :)

Sarah
Re: Buying supplies (from Stampeaz :)
Board: Stamp Carving and Mounting
Reply to: #256944 by Maude
Jul 24, 2008 6:42pm
Thread Board
Quote I, too, find Stampeaz to be a good deal all around. I've learned (you know how that goes -- Ooopss! OK -- next time…) to mess with the quantity and watch the shipping. When shipping goes up, I back down my order by one sheet and get as much as possible without raising the shipping.

You can always email Webfoot directly about the shipping. I had that happen as well - turns out it's the way the checkout thingy is set up, and she can "override" the defaults to do the real (sometimes lower) shipping amount. She uses the flat rate mailers and is a genuis at "stuffing" them to get max goods in a smaller envelope!

Now, I pay by check, so I don't go through the checkout anymore, but if you have a question - email her - she's very prompt and very nice!!!

Mama Fox - got my Stampeaz order today - woo hoo - back in business!!!!
Re: Prayers needed for a friend
Board: Prayer and Healing
Reply to: #256980 by Penguin_Girl22
Jul 24, 2008 6:45pm
Thread Board
We will keep her and all the family in our prayers.
Re: Ink questions
Board: Tools of the Trade
Reply to: #256960 by Casa del Sol
Jul 24, 2008 6:46pm
Thread Board
Quote I have a question about Dew Drops and Cat's Eyes, since neither are available in my local craft store. When you buy them separately, can you remove the lids (all but one) and stack them together (like the ones that come in sets)? It seems that might be a good way to carry them in my pack.

I don't think you can do that with Dew Drops (and not sure why you would want too....?). They take up so little room. And I would have more trouble finding a way to fit the stack into my pack (and not worry about it coming apart and drying out an ink pad).

And I keep mine in different places - I have my sig color in a smaller pouch with my sig stamp, and my black is in there too. I have other colors in a plastic box that fits 6 perfectly, and a couple other favorites floating around. I also carry my sig color and black reinkers on the trail. Maybe a couple of other reinkers if I'm out of town at a gather.

Stampeaz carries a great selection of Dew Drops AND the reinkers!

Mama Fox
Re: An idea?
Reply to: #256978 by Eeny Meany Miney Moe
Jul 24, 2008 6:47pm
Thread Board
Leider nicht. Nope, sorry.
Re: new ring - warrior women
Board: Postals
Reply to: #256979 by Force of Five
Jul 24, 2008 6:48pm
Thread Board
I have a Joan of Arc stamp that I carved for an LTC ring. I'm pretty sure she qualifies :)

Tyra, MH
Re: Ink questions
Board: Tools of the Trade
Reply to: #256965 by Bungalow Boxer
Jul 24, 2008 6:50pm
Thread Board
MW
(in CT)

OFF TOPIC WARNING! How's married life MW?

deniserows
with married couples who box together
Re: Postcards?
Board: Traditional Letterboxes
Reply to: #256792 by preboxed
Jul 24, 2008 6:51pm
Thread Board
I have a few of my letterboxes where knowing this can prove to be extremely useful

NO DUH!

deniserows
right by mail/letter boxes
Re: Baby Naming Help . . . Again (funny names)
Board: Yakking It Up
Reply to: #256962 by CLoveR
Jul 24, 2008 6:51pm
Thread Board
Quote As someone who's worked in the medical field, I've seen some things with names that make me ask "why?",

I ahve a friend named Cydney (Sidney) and honestly, I took me 6 months after we met (our kids were in preschool together, so I saw her name in the directory) to realize it was NOT Cyndy (Cindy). Thank goodness I realized what her name was before I was horribly embarrassed! And even then - I still had to think "SIDNEY, not CINDY" to myself for a long time before I said her name!

Mama (not the brightest) Fox (in the den)
At 4 am when I should be sleeping...
Jul 24, 2008 6:54pm
Board
What does one do when one the kids can't sleep so you go check on them and tell them all your secrets on how to go back to sleep like counting backwards, counting sheep, etc. Then the dog has to go out, so you let the dog out lest you have presents in the morning (not the fun variety), and while the dog is out you start to color part of an LTC because there's nothing else to do at 2 am while waiting for the dog. The dog comes in and then you head back to your wonderfully soft and comfy bed, only to lie there and flop around for 2 hours until you just say the heck with it! and get up.

Now, at 4 am this wonderful Thursday morning, when I should have been sleeping and dreaming, I was creating LTC's. I have a set of two cards from this wonderful time of sleeplessness. One is "My Hunny Pot is My Best Friend" and one is "Just Bee-cause, Piglet". Bet you can guess the focus of these cards. There are only 9 sets available. AQ-mail me for a set before I fall asleep!
RLL
Reply to: #256987 by Lone R
Jul 24, 2008 6:57pm
Thread Board
Are you sure TT? I thought they were.

You're right, I guess it's the waypoints that have no restriction.
Re: got some free time?
Board: Miscellaneous Oddities
Reply to: #256937 by Mariner Fan
Jul 24, 2008 7:01pm
Thread Board
Okay the red one is easy, but that teal colored one is a bugger.

deniserows
on teal water
Next Big Update timeline
Board: Letterboxing Help Desk
Jul 24, 2008 7:05pm
Thread Board
Hey GT, do you have any rough estimates for the next little and big updates? Just curious. I like to see what has been done or is in progress...

NavyCop
Re: Cake!
Board: State: Pennsylvania
Reply to: #256961 by Bobguyman
Jul 24, 2008 7:06pm
Thread Board
Thank you very much! Long way from your state board aren't you?
CHRISTMAS TRACKERS !
Jul 24, 2008 7:08pm
Thread Board
http://www.atlasquest.com/trackers/showinfo.html?gTrackerId=2129

http://www.atlasquest.com/trackers/showinfo.html?gTrackerId=2130

Friends, We know it's only July, but we are all super busy with trackers and LTC Making. We wanted to give you PLENTY OF TIME to participate in our new CHRISTMAS LTC SWAPS.

The first one is only open to 12 people.... one for each of the "12 Days of Christmas". We will open a 2nd one... (12 Days of Christmas: ENCORE ?)... if enough are interested. Let us know which day you want to sign up for. (2 turtle doves and 3 french hens are already spoken for) Sign up and list your card ASAP. First come first served.

The second one is LETS GO CAROLLING.... and it will be of ANY Christmas Caroll. No need to choose which one.... multiples of the same will be OK.

Please join us to CELEBRATE THE HOLIDAYS LTC STYLE !!!

THANKS,
The Seekers 1108
Reply to: #256988 by The Little Foxes
Jul 24, 2008 7:09pm
Thread Board
Quote Maybe you can elaborate - what is your concern - what are you worried about?

I think they are saying that they have been watching to postcards thread and people have said they are uncomfortable putting their home address on postcards that would be left in letterboxes to be found and sent by random unknown people.

NavyCop
Re: CHRISTMAS TRACKERS !
Reply to: #257004 by theseekers1108
Jul 24, 2008 7:09pm
Thread Board
Forgot something:
Due date for BOTH of the Christmas LTC Swaps is November 29th. It's a Saturday. Plenty of time to make your cards.... and time for us to sort and send and get them to you by Christmas !!
Reply to: #256949 by winged gypsy
Jul 24, 2008 7:13pm
Thread Board
Quote I wanted to get your opinions on this matter of safety because you all mail everything to one another.

I think the difference you are seeking is the assumed knowledge that people have of one another here on the board (whether they have met each other in person or not) as opposed to having an address sitting out in a letterbox on a postcard that literally anyone could get their hands on (letterboxers and non-letterboxers alike). When people take part in multiple discussions or take the time to get online and use the board, there is a perceived sense of trust.

NavyCop