A Letterboxing Community

Search

Read Messages

Re: RW/Y
Board: Yakking It Up
Reply to: #246484 by Green Tortuga
Jul 1, 2008 1:35pm
Thread Board
Thanks! That's what I was looking for! I've updated the glossary definition for cheese racing. =)

Oh, great. This, then, is my legacy?

"Great-grandpa Wassa, did you ever do anything famous?"
"Welllll, now that you mention it...."

Hopefully my kids can rise above this. Or at least avoid forks.
-wassamatta_u
Re: Red White and You
Board: State: North Carolina
Reply to: #246498 by The Little Foxes
Jul 1, 2008 1:36pm
Thread Board
The track is apparently a BBQ grill though Wassa's blog shows the use of an oven and baking pan.

I personally think that cheeseracing is something to confine to the great outdoors rather than welcoming it into the privacy of your home... :-)

Knit Wit
Re: RW/Y
Reply to: #246502 by wassamatta u
Jul 1, 2008 1:39pm
Thread Board
Quote Hopefully my kids can rise above this.

Your kids have had YEARS of exposure to you and are probably immune.

I pity the poor newbies blithely scanning through the glossary and suddenly greeted by such a sight.

Ryan has a cruel streak... Who knew? :-)

Knit Wit
Re: Virginia Beach Bookworm replanted
Board: State: Virginia
Reply to: #246479 by Beach Gal
Jul 1, 2008 1:40pm
Thread Board
Oh, good to know! I nearly stopped by there today. Was in that area and thought, humm, since I'm here, I should go by and get that box. Had my pack, but not my clue binder. Guess that was good since I would have been following old clues! :)
Velcro
Board: Tools of the Trade
Jul 1, 2008 1:43pm
Thread Board
Hi fellow letterboxers,

I want to hide a LnL box underneath a wooden shelf that is inside a bookstore. Velcro seems like the perfect solution to adhere my box to the wood. Have any of you used velcro for this purpose? I'm thinking of using the heavier, black velcro that has glue on the back already. I don't want it too difficult for finders to pull the LB off of the matching velcro piece, so I was thinking of putting a smaller piece of velcro on the bottom of the letterbox. Any tips or suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Pet Lover
Reply to: #246503 by knit wit
Jul 1, 2008 1:47pm
Thread Board
I personally think that cheeseracing is something to confine to the great outdoors rather than welcoming it into the privacy of your home... :-)

yeah, for the Science Fair project, we did it on the barbecue. But that "tutorial" was done at about 2am one night when I was sick and heavily medicated... somehow, it struck me as "the right thing to do".

-wassamatta_u
Re: Velcro
Board: Tools of the Trade
Reply to: #246506 by Pet Lover
Jul 1, 2008 1:47pm
Thread Board
When I was considering something like this, I got suggestions to adhere the velcro in such a way that the strips crossed rather than running one on top of the other. I think the box would be easier to get off that way and resticking it wouldn't be as problematic (you wouldn't have to obviously look under the shelf to make sure you were lining everything up right).

The only problem I've seen with velcro adhering to wood is that, over time, the glue loses adhesion based on the finish on the wood. If you're close enough to the location to check the mounting periodically, this shouldn't keep you from doing it.

Knit Wit
ZZ Top
Board: State: Texas
Jul 1, 2008 1:50pm
Thread Board
I finally got my ZZ Top on the road box planted. The rain hasn't been very nice in this placement. Today was beautiful and they are ready for visitors.
Reply to: #246508 by wassamatta u
Jul 1, 2008 1:50pm
Thread Board
Quote sick and heavily medicated

hmmmmm.....
Re: good boxNearby is Piatt Park and several campgrounds
Board: State: Ohio
Reply to: #246442 by Granny Butterfly
Jul 1, 2008 1:51pm
Thread Board
JDFM and I did the Piatt Park boxes a few weeks ago and it is well worth the trip. What a wonderful area !!! And Monroe County has beautiful rolling countryside. There were many more boxes in the area we missed because we spent most of our time in Piatt Park before darkness. Check it out if you get a chance. We plan to go back when we can.
Re: Please pray- a friend lost his father
Board: Prayer and Healing
Reply to: #246456 by Red Barn Photos
Jul 1, 2008 1:55pm
Thread Board
I am so sorry. :) I feel your loss.
Reply to: #246511 by Shoafsters
Jul 1, 2008 1:59pm
Thread Board
So... was the bamalance really for the cheese burns or from the injuries due to the "medication"
Re: Scooters?
Board: Letterbox Chatter
Reply to: #239781 by Don and Gwen
Jul 1, 2008 2:00pm
Thread Board

GUESS WHAT??? Chadams and I bought our scooter yesterday!!

So, we went to the Honda dealership first to see if we could find a better one but they didn't have any scooters at all. They didn't even know if they were getting anymore in for the rest of the year :( bummer..... After that we went to the scooter store only to find out that they were sold out of the one we originally wanted :( total bummer..... They didn't know if they were getting any of those in either. Holy Cow these things are selling like hot cakes!! They did have one very similar to the one we were going to get, but it had a few things about it that made us hesitate: not as much storage space, a little bit slower (instead of being 300cc it is 260cc), and since it's slower it doesn't get as many miles to the gallon (70 instead of 80). It did however have a back rest for the passenger which I like very much and the front seat can move up if need be. We looked at it for a while, deliberating to ourselves, and realized that it doesn't really have that much less storage space as we thought. Not only that, but they had that model coming in. If we were going to get one this year we needed to get it now, otherwise we'd have to wait until next year. The guy had five coming in, but two were sold already...Holy Cow!! That was it. I told Chad to get it.....and helmets...and a cover...and saddle bags :) The color is burgundy and we should be getting it around the middle of next week sometime. Oh I'm so excited!! We are planning on going to the DMV tomorrow to get our motorcycle permits. This should be interesting!

♥ Lady Lilac
Re: How would I carve... phlegm??
Board: Stamp Carving and Mounting
Reply to: #246407 by QueenMother'n'CloudWalker
Jul 1, 2008 2:07pm
Thread Board
I think my grandma is pretty much bedridden now, but I'm going to show her the logbooks and stamps before I plant them. She has pretty bad dementia, so I hope she will understand it. We'll see. In any case, she will still be making people into better spellers.
favorite boards
Board: Letterboxing Help Desk
Jul 1, 2008 2:07pm
Thread Board
I have tried to change which boards are listed on "My Page". On the Favorite Board screen - it says that my changes are saved - but only two boards are showing up - the ones from the first two categories. Any suggestion? I'm sure I missed something simple.

light travelers
Re: New Janet Evanovich...Stephanie Plum!!!
Board: Reading Room
Reply to: #246470 by DDDCMJ Express
Jul 1, 2008 2:08pm
Thread Board
have you ever listened to these books on CD? I used to listen to them at work and I am telling you I would literally lol. The reader is excellent!!!

Never listened to one but now I might have to try it, the only problem is that they are so much fun to read I am not sure I want to miss out by listening to it.

What a dilemma... ;-)
Re: favorite boards
Reply to: #246518 by Light Travelers
Jul 1, 2008 2:09pm
Thread Board
I think they only show up with they have unread messages on them.
Reply to: #246519 by SlowFoot
Jul 1, 2008 2:11pm
Thread Board
I have a 45 minute commute to and from work.... listen to books on CD ALL the time! I sometimes even listen on my computer or I-pod while I am carving!!! I really enjoy the Stephanie Plum books...

Bandaid
Re: ZZ Top
Board: State: Texas
Reply to: #246510 by Trail Bandits
Jul 1, 2008 2:12pm
Thread Board
Ready for some sharp dressed men with velcro flies?
Re: favorite boards
Reply to: #246518 by Light Travelers
Jul 1, 2008 2:14pm
Thread Board
They'll only show up on "My Page" if new posts are added to them. Some boards are relatively quiet.

Knit Wit
Re: Tolerence RE relaunch
Board: Postals
Reply to: #246501 by Blue Box Girl
Jul 1, 2008 2:18pm
Thread Board
Quote I just offered someone a DNA sample :) BBG

I'm still waiting for Brown Eyed Starling to analyze that and give me the results too. Pays to have friends in forensic science. :o)
Reply to: #246508 by wassamatta u
Jul 1, 2008 2:22pm
Thread Board
Quote But that "tutorial" was done at about 2am one night when I was sick and heavily medicated... somehow, it struck me as "the right thing to do".

The following is a transcript of a conversation I just had with my almost9 yo son upon viewing Wassa's "tutorial"....

Son: "Why does that man have silly putty on his face?"

Me: "It's not, it's cheese."

Son: "*sound between an "ugh" and an "arrgh"* WHY!?!?!"

Me: I dunno, son, it's something called cheese racing, it has to do with cheese on a grill. Apparently we are going to debut the NC version at the gather this weekend."

Son: "*screeching in horror* - Well, I'M NOT GOING!!!"

Don't worry, I'm sure the therapy and meds will kick in by Saturday, we'll still be there.

Mama Fox (mailing bill for said therapy and meds directly to Wassa.....!! ;-))
PS - Can I enter Aldi brand cheese???? I'll lock the boy in the car while racing is going on!
Reply to: #246515 by sweet n sour
Jul 1, 2008 2:24pm
Thread Board
was the bamalance really for the cheese burns or from the injuries due to the "medication"

My lawyer has indicated that I should abstain from answering any more questions on the subject.

My wife has also suggested, based on this incident, that I abstain. I'm not sure she was talking about the same thing as the lawyer, though.

Come to think of it, she does seem to spend an awful lot of time with him.... hmmmmmm....

-wassamatta_u
How about this?!
Board: LTC: Trades and Trackers
Jul 1, 2008 2:30pm
Thread Board
Would anyone be interested in joining a group about "My Child's Favorite TV Shows"?

or a swap with "Custom License Plates"?

Please give me feedback, so that I may set these up.
I'm thinking of Nov./ Dec. for start dates. : )

What do you think?
Thank you to all my creative LTC friends!

-- Tiger Pride
Re: So much for trying
Board: Singles Anonymous
Reply to: #246253 by shiloh
Jul 1, 2008 2:30pm
Thread Board
Shiloh,

I, too, am 47. It's a great age! (right? right?)

I feel in pretty good shape, I have actually gone rock wall climbing twice, I create music with other people on a regular basis, and I participate in a great hobby with wonderful people that I have met in person or online!

I think many people (all noxers) were a little surprised that I was going, sight unseen, to stay with someone and be a mystery guest at an event in Maine last October (I live in Oregon).

But they were all LBer's! I knew I was in good company. And now, I have lots of friends in Maine, NH, etc.

AAAAANNND, I'm so looking forward to meeting more of my online friends in person at L&B!

So, despite my car leaking water and gas (9 miles to the gallon right now, ugh) and hardly any money after bills because of this, life IS good.

And so is almost everybody I meet here!

KuKu
Re: new trail name suggestions! HELP!
Reply to: #246528 by FunkyMonkey12
Jul 1, 2008 2:32pm
Thread Board
I need some trail name suggestions involving the word monkey!

Based on your sudden surge in board activity, might I suggest "Infinite Monkeys" ?
More fun from Joss Whedon!
Board: Television: After the Show Ends
Jul 1, 2008 2:32pm
Thread Board
Re: How about this?!
Board: LTC: Trades and Trackers
Reply to: #246529 by Tiger Pride
Jul 1, 2008 2:33pm
Thread Board
Dibs on Sesame Street!!!!!

=) Wild Rose
Re: new trail name suggestions! HELP!
Reply to: #246528 by FunkyMonkey12
Jul 1, 2008 2:34pm
Thread Board
How about Monkeyshine(s)?

Definition: Slang A mischievous or playful trick; a prank. Often used in the plural: laughed at my daughter's monkeyshines.

You could incorporate the playfulness, the pranks, and also some sort of light or shine.

Just a thought.

KuKu
(I mean, come on, look at my name! Actually, it's my name in Hawaiian)
Reply to: #246470 by DDDCMJ Express
Jul 1, 2008 2:35pm
Thread Board
i have read all the numbers series. but on road trips i get them on cd. dh likes to listen to them. (but he would never read such a girlie book go figure) Love the reader! Especially the "...Babe" for ranger. -- Happy B ( a ranger girl)