Search

Read Messages

Re: Thanks!
Board: Province: Nova Scotia
Reply to: #177227 by NeilyNutbars
Jan 19, 2008 8:40am
Thread Board
NNs:

Good luck! We remember our first find back in September (07) while on vacation in Alaska. We were REALLY excited -- and after more than 100 finds, we still get EXCITED!

Box On!

T-N-T (TRH N T on AQ)
Cleveland, NY
Re: Being new is difficult!
Board: Traditional Letterboxes
Reply to: #177191 by Kirbert
Thread Board
Almost half of the logged book was used!! I had about 25 people find the box, but not log it in.

What with all the complaints from some people about being unable to hide finds and attempts, I guess it's not surprising that many finders have decided not to log their finds or attempts at all. That's probably another good argument in favor of allowing owners to hide their finds/attempts -- it would remove the hesitation of some finders towards logging at all. I mean, I always thought logging your find online was a good thing, but hearing these owners BMC I can see how some might consider it not only not worth the bother but actually a bad thing.

But why would the find/attempt list discourage someone from contacting the owner with a quick note that says "I found your letterbox. Thanks for planting it." It's one thing not to log a find because you don't want people to know where you've been and what you've visited but not to acknowledge the hiders efforts by sending an email - it just isn't very community-spirited. If one can use a computer to obtain the clues then why not use the computer to say thanks.

Some might say - the thank you is in the logbook but I find that the logbook usually contains a stamp and a date and perhaps the letterboxer will write out their trailname. I think this practice occurs because people are encouraged to save space in logbooks.

Fortunately in my area, I'm seeing a trend toward emailing and logging. About 80% send thank you emails to me and about 70% log their find on AQ. It wasn't like that when I started hiding in 2002 (more like 10% emailed and logged a find).
Re: Thanks!
Board: Province: Nova Scotia
Reply to: #177227 by NeilyNutbars
Thread Board
You will so love this great hobby! I'm glad your family will be joining our wonderful community!
Re: Total Letterboxes?
Reply to: #177198 by Teddy Hugger
Jan 19, 2008 8:41am
Thread Board
Go to the Home dropdown, click AQ statistics and you'll see a breakdown of the ones registered at AQ. Currently 30,068 active traditional boxes. heyokah man
Re: Shaken, but not stirred...
Board: Faculty Room
Reply to: #177207 by Sprite and Highlander
Jan 19, 2008 8:46am
Thread Board
Oh, MAN, is THAT ever true! I think we made it THROUGH the whole thing because of the adrenaline. Even the time I rolled my car in a snowstorm, my first reaction was "Whoa!!!" instead of screaming in panic. I didn't start crying until that NIGHT when the sound of the car crashing kept coming back at me.

Been there -- had the same reaction! Sometimes it feels as if the adrenalin keeps pumping for days depending upon how significant the "scare" was (or is) Hence the need to talk or walk (pace) or do SOMETHING!

T-N-T
Re: #200 & first finders
Board: State: South Carolina
Reply to: #177167 by resQlou
Jan 19, 2008 8:47am
Thread Board
Congratulations on #200 r2lou! It is great to know you have had your spirits renewed in boxing. It wasn't that long ago you were "burned out".

Paula Ü
Reply to: #177198 by Teddy Hugger
Jan 19, 2008 8:48am
Thread Board
Ask Pete & Wanda?

Don
Reply to: #177234 by heyokah man
Jan 19, 2008 8:51am
Thread Board
Go to the Home dropdown, click AQ statistics and you'll see a breakdown of the ones registered at AQ. Currently 30,068 active traditional boxes.

However, that does not include boxes not listed on AQ.
Noon on HBO
Board: State: North Carolina
Jan 19, 2008 8:53am
Thread Board
Everyone turn on HBO at noon ...................Empire Strikes Back

BTW it just started to flurry here and I have a huge pot of 15 bean soup on and cornbread in the oven !

Holly
Re: Martha Stewart is carving up a hunk of the pink stuff!
Board: Letterbox Chatter
Reply to: #173100 by Gryffindors
Jan 19, 2008 9:00am
Thread Board
When I caught this show, the woman who was doing the demo said to just take your image and rub it with a pencil to transfere the image. Well, I tried this with my bone creaser and it worked great!!!! I have been trying the iron on and the pencil transfer methods with really good success, but why go to all that trouble when you can do it this way???
LR
Ugh!
Board: Letterboxing Help Desk
Jan 19, 2008 9:06am
Thread Board
How on earth do I find replies to messages I post once they are kicked down the list from the main page? When I click on "last 30 messages" I can't find a bunch of replies because they have been kicked off the last 30 list. Help!
Re: Ugh!
Reply to: #177241 by 7trailwanderers
Jan 19, 2008 9:08am
Thread Board
You can bookmark your page. I also go to Search messages and put my name in as author. It will show all comments I have made. You can follow it that way. If there is an easier way, I am all ears.
Reply to: #177241 by 7trailwanderers
Jan 19, 2008 9:08am
Thread Board
If you go to your profile, there is a button at the top to see your recent posts. Hope that helps.
Reply to: #177243 by ShadowSpirit
Jan 19, 2008 9:10am
Thread Board
I like this feature. Very easy to do. Thanks
Re: Being new is difficult!
Reply to: #177191 by Kirbert
Jan 19, 2008 9:13am
Thread Board
What with all the complaints from some people about being unable to hide finds and attempts, I guess it's not surprising that many finders have decided not to log their finds or attempts at all. That's probably another good argument in favor of allowing owners to hide their finds/attempts -- it would remove the hesitation of some finders towards logging at all. I mean, I always thought logging your find online was a good thing, but hearing these owners BMC I can see how some might consider it not only not worth the bother but actually a bad thing.

Does it come down to a safety concern for people who don't want to have their finds/attempts visible? We didn't think about that before.
Re: Martha Stewart is carving up a hunk of the pink stuff!
Board: Letterbox Chatter
Reply to: #177240 by Lime Rosebud
Jan 19, 2008 9:14am
Thread Board
Quote why go to all that trouble when you can do it this way???

I use the heat transfer method when the image is more detailed or intricate. Otherwise, the pencil method works fine.

DebBee
Reply to: #177245 by frogkisses
Jan 19, 2008 9:14am
Thread Board
Thank you! Thank you! It was driving me bonkers!
Re: Fairies of the Forest: A Spring Awakening
Board: Event News and Planning
Reply to: #176770 by Familyof6
Jan 19, 2008 9:20am
Thread Board
Quote It has to do with the rebirth of Spring with pixies, fairies, sprite, nymphs, dryads, and such. Sign up if you're interested!

Alright, how totally unfair is THIS??? There's a whole party where I'm supposed to wake up and I can't even GO??? (pouts mightily)
Re: #200 & first finders
Reply to: #177167 by resQlou
Jan 19, 2008 9:20am
Thread Board
Congrats!!!!
New Spartanburg Boxes
Jan 19, 2008 9:23am
Thread Board
I have found 4 new boxes in Spartanburg Co. that are listed on LBNA, not here. Check them out. They are new lbers to the area and it means a trip to Spartanburg is in order. I know of over 10 boxes there now. YIPPEE!

Paula Ü *thinking of when she can head that way*
Re: Missions on the 101?
Board: State: California
Reply to: #177171 by deniserows
Jan 19, 2008 9:25am
Thread Board
Quote There is no dress rehearsal for life!

Or pockets in coffins.

What about cup-holders?

I was told that my coffin would have plenty of cup-holders!

Lisa
Reply to: #177238 by Booknut
Jan 19, 2008 9:29am
Thread Board
Go to the Home dropdown, click AQ statistics and you'll see a breakdown of the ones registered at AQ. Currently 30,068 active traditional boxes.

However, that does not include boxes not listed on AQ.

And while most of those 30,000 boxes are in the US, some of them are not.

TG
Re: alter ego names
Reply to: #177222 by X Marks The Spot
Jan 19, 2008 9:33am
Thread Board
Absolutely, X! Welcome to the Rebel Alliance!

Knit Solo

P.S. I like Salacious Fox as well. It's got a real ring to it!
Re: Noon on HBO
Reply to: #177239 by TalleyValleyFarmClan
Jan 19, 2008 9:35am
Thread Board
How's that for timing?

We don't have HBO, but I do have the original three movies in a box set. I may have to pull one out and watch it. All this talk of Han Solo and whatnot...

Knit Solo
it be snow
Jan 19, 2008 9:36am
Thread Board
snowing here in the valley ya'll

Holly
Re: it be snow
Reply to: #177256 by TalleyValleyFarmClan
Jan 19, 2008 9:44am
Thread Board
We have rain here, but the temp is dropping........ might be snow soon.

YIKES

MR SEEKER is doing the snow dance..... but...... he's fully clothed I assure you !! hahaha He's not quite so daring as ResQlou!!!

Have a good day !
Reply to: #177257 by theseekers1108
Jan 19, 2008 9:48am
Thread Board
Still rain here too! But we are not as high up as TVFC.

td
Reply to: #177258 by J Walkers
Jan 19, 2008 9:55am
Thread Board
On average when I leave here and go to the office there is a 5 to 8 degree difference in temp. It is SNOWING HARD now - we are bundled up on the couch with warm tummy's full of bean soup and cornbread watching Empire Strikes Back. The force from the NC board must have gotten to HBO because it came on at noon !

Happy Snow Day everyone !

Holly
Re: Message from assistant at Botanical Gardens in Asheville
Reply to: #177210 by Hale s Angel
Jan 19, 2008 10:00am
Thread Board
Now let's not be calling for more snow, we're on our way down there next week. If we wanted snow, we'd just stay in Ohio.

hey!
*waving*
well... it is snowing!
Re: Periodic LTC Table
Board: LTC: Trades and Trackers
Reply to: #177156 by Teddy Hugger
Jan 19, 2008 10:02am
Thread Board
I just signed up for Sulfur. So sulfur and oxygen for me. :)

-HG