A Letterboxing Community

Search

Read Messages

Re: A Bed By The Window
Board: Funny Pages
Reply to: #147520 by judithandsparky
Oct 30, 2007 10:21pm
Thread Board
Quote I plan on having a food garden next year and even though I could use city water for it, why buy water I've already bought?

I just moved from an apt. to a house this summer and realize that I have to pay for the water coming out of the faucet and for whatever goes down the drain.

I told my mom I was going to start scooping the bathwater and the dishwater (I can't stand to use a dishwasher) and use it on my plants.

She thinks I'm crazy (bed by the window, please). I'm going to save this and show her I'm not the only one that is actually very brilliant, money saving and eco-friendly.

janet, Blooming Flowers (who is having so much fun reading this thread, back to it)
Re: Wassa, Have you expanded?
Board: Letterbox Chatter
Reply to: #147835 by wassamatta u
Oct 30, 2007 10:23pm
Thread Board
So I noticed the you can get the B'n'B logo on thongs and boxers... but why not briefs?

HPL :o)
Re: A Bed By The Window
Reply to: #147573 by judithandsparky
Oct 30, 2007 10:24pm
Thread Board
Quote I have to figure out how to pump water out of the bath (second story) and down into a barrel in the yard.

Have you ever tried www.freecycle.org ? I bet someone has a waterbed pump or an aquarium one that they are not using anymore. Then, you get it for free, my favorite price. So far this year, I've got a whole pickup load of oak wood, some Cannis flowers and a comfy brown chair that looks almost new. Works for me.

janet, Blooming Flowers
Reply to: #147835 by wassamatta u
Oct 30, 2007 10:28pm
Thread Board
Quote Yes, but does HE have HIS logo on a thong? http://www.cafepress.com/spritesstuff/3855430

OMG, that is so funny. I hadn't seen that addition to the spritesstuff line. But, when are you going to model a pair so we can see how they look on a live person?

Janet, BF
Re: Interesting
Board: Atlas Quest Announcements
Reply to: #147807 by Otis' Friends
Oct 30, 2007 10:36pm
Thread Board
Log book entries for the same date used to be listed alphabetically but now appear to be random . . . .

Gosh, that didn't take you long to notice!

Actually, those, it's not random at all. =) It's sorting them (or rather, trying to sort them) based on the other you entered the finds using the assumption that you entered finds in the same order you found them.

So when you list finds chronologically, they actually are in chronological order--or at least closer to it than deliberately listing them in alphabetical order.

The biggest catch, though, is the fact that listed and unlisted finds are stored in two different tables and I can't tell which were found first between the two tables.

In a nutshell, I'm trying to sort them in the order the boxes were found, but since AQ doesn't track the time of day when you found a box, it's not entirely accurate. I an go back to alphabetical in cases of a tie, though, if that's what people prefer. Doesn't much matter to me. *shrug* =) Let me know.

-- Ryan
Re: Craft/postal stuff
Board: Postals
Reply to: #147674 by The Little Foxes
Oct 30, 2007 10:37pm
Thread Board
Wow, are we twins that were separated at birth? Or maybe our DH's were - lol!!

could be-I DO have a sister named Kay...and a friend in SC.... I sometimes wonder if my DH isn't perhaps of the 'happy' persuasion. (He could be your DH long lost gay twin? He is sometimes SUCH a girl!! {mine, not yours-lol. :) } (but he is really my perfect match...I was such a 'fag hag' growing up...I use to think i was going to have to have a sex change to get the man I wanted! Guess I didn't have to, after all. But still got all the best qualities of a gay man!!)

Scraphappy
who canNOT watch Will and Grace because, from personal experience, do not find it funny, but sad.
Re: o or 0 question
Board: Virtuals
Reply to: #147132 by toolie bird
Oct 30, 2007 10:46pm
Thread Board
It tells me it is an invalid passkey then the zeroes disappear in the answer.

The zeros disappearing is a bug which I've now fixed. =)

That doesn't mean the zeros were wrong--just a bug in the code. The passkey you entered was invalid, but it may or may not have been the zeros that were incorrect.

Sorry for the confusion!

-- Ryan
Re: Remotely hosted clues--details for you! =)
Reply to: #147833 by Green Tortuga
Oct 30, 2007 11:00pm
Thread Board
Quote To mark the part of the page that is a clue, use something like this:

< !-- aq -- >
Write clue here
< !-- aq end -- >

What happens if you have clues to several different boxes on the same web page? Will the entire page be cached for each box? Should you therefore put the first mark before the first clue and the end mark after the last clue?

Also, I've never done this, but what happens when the link on AQ leads to an offsite web page, and the instructions on that web page are to follow a link to a third web page? Will AQ not cache the third page?

Finally, if the clue is mainly hosted on AQ but includes links to other web pages as part of the clue, does AQ cache those?
Re: Metric conversions
Reply to: #146671 by Fish Below The Ice
Oct 30, 2007 11:07pm
Thread Board
If I pull up a local query (for Toronto, ON), the first box listed is "Blue Man Group" with a hike length of 0.5km. If I pull up the box listing, it says that the hike length is 0.8km. I then click on the clue and it tells me that the hike length is 0.5km again. I see the same effect for other boxes.

Appears some bugs have shown up. The database actually shows Blue Man Group to be 0.5 miles long, so it was the clue and search results that were incorrect. The box details page was showing the correct results.

I've fixed those two pages to show the correct results now, however. Thanks for pointing out the problem! =)

-- Ryan
Re: Remotely hosted clues--details for you! =)
Reply to: #147843 by Kirbert
Oct 30, 2007 11:15pm
Thread Board
What happens if you have clues to several different boxes on the same web page? Will the entire page be cached for each box?

I had considered setting it up so people could mark the start and finish of each clue if they have multiple clues on a single webpage, but people really should not list more than one clue per page to begin with. It makes it hard for people--especially those who aren't computer savy--to print out sometimes dozens of pages of clues just for two small paragraphs that have the one clue they're interested in. I figure at that point, things are already screwed up enough. If the cached version is screwed up as well, at least it's no worse than the non-cached version. =)

So yes, the entire page would be cached for each box. I might allow an option to mark clue numbers at some point, but I don't think it's really worth the effort. I'd rather encourage people to limit themselves to one clue per page to begin with.

but what happens when the link on AQ leads to an offsite web page, and the instructions on that web page are to follow a link to a third web page? Will AQ not cache the third page?

Only the page that is immediately linked to will get cached, and AQ will not follow links in the page to other pages. (All links in the linked page will be stripped out of the cached version anyhow.)

if the clue is mainly hosted on AQ but includes links to other web pages as part of the clue, does AQ cache those?

No.

-- Ryan
Re: Water conservation was: A Bed By The Window
Reply to: #147598 by knit wit
Oct 30, 2007 11:16pm
Thread Board
I would do this but it would require major plumbing work to get a line through the basement wall. I've been trying to figure out a way though...

Just thinking out loud here.....drain the washer into a tub and use a sump pump to pump the water to the outside.

Shiloh
Re: recycled paper log books
Board: Logbook Logistics
Reply to: #147538 by Poodle Circus
Oct 30, 2007 11:23pm
Thread Board
Ok... and then what? A little ice, a little tequila? Not quite sure where you're going with this! ;)

LOL.....well....you do need the rest of the paper making stuff.

Shiloh
Reply to: #147846 by shiloh
Oct 30, 2007 11:39pm
Thread Board
Okay, I know I probably need to post this to the home board, but since we have such a good thing going, I bet someone can answer this here.

I just looked at the Water Utility section for my city. I wanted to know how much I was paying for sewer. I guess I thought they had a meter like they do for the faucets. Makes some sense to me. Here is what they say:

Quote The winter month’s water consumption of December, January and February are used to calculate the sewer average for residential customers. To figure your sewer average add the three amounts of water consumption and divide by 3. This will be the consumption used for your new sewer average for the upcoming year. Your sewer billing will be based on the lesser of this average or your monthly water consumption. The new sewer average for the year will be used starting with your April bill.

So, this seems to me that what I use in water in those three months is averaged. Let's say I use an average of 1,000 gallons of water (made up number). I will be billed for 1,000 gallons of sewer consumption. Is that how y'all see it? I will call them to clarify, but the lady isn't the most patient person in the world.

Thanks,
Janet, Blooming Flowers
Re: Theme colors
Board: Suggestion Box
Reply to: #146150 by ArtGekko
Oct 30, 2007 11:40pm
Thread Board
the style tags on links are confusing me. I want the links I haven't clicked on to be dark, and the ones I have visited to be the paler, dimmer orange. Can I lobby for a style change?

I've just been doing some research on this subject, and the general consensus for most websites is that dark links are the visited places and light ones are the unvisited ones. In fact, even the default blue theme on AQ uses that! All of the themes do, I think. Is it just the Halloween theme that's bothering you, or do all of them?

I'm not sure I want to mess with the standard if everyone else uses dark means visited and light means unvisited, though. You're more than welcome to override those settings with your own CSS page, though.

-- Ryan
Reply to: #147848 by Blooming Flower
Oct 30, 2007 11:43pm
Thread Board
Is that how y'all see it?

That's how I see it. As far as I know there is no sewer meter. They are just going on the assumption that all that water you are useing is going down the drain and not out on the lawn.

Shiloh
Re: What's Your Halloween Candy Personality?
Board: Yakking It Up
Reply to: #147828 by Three Hearts
Oct 30, 2007 11:46pm
Thread Board
snicker, snicker

*Homer voice*

MMMMM....snickers......

Shiloh
Re: I went to a Maine LB event
Board: State: Oregon
Reply to: #147800 by Murray Herd
Oct 30, 2007 11:50pm
Thread Board
Quote Did you get to go night-boxing? And when are we going to have a night-boxing event around here?

Patience my dear. Soon, soon.
Marmalade
Re: I went to a Maine LB event
Board: State: Oregon
Reply to: #147852 by Marmalade
Oct 31, 2007 12:15am
Thread Board
It crazy fun!

We Mainers or rather we New Englanders or East Coasters do night boxing quite frequently!!!

Sean
Mainekokopellian
Reply to: #147850 by shiloh
Oct 31, 2007 3:14am
Thread Board
Quote They are just going on the assumption that all that water you are useing is going down the drain and not out on the lawn.

Good thing I'm not watering a 5 acre lot.

Janet, BF
Re: Interesting
Reply to: #147840 by Green Tortuga
Oct 31, 2007 3:48am
Thread Board
Quote It's sorting them (or rather, trying to sort them) based on the other you entered the finds using the assumption that you entered finds in the same order you found them.

So when you list finds chronologically, they actually are in chronological order--or at least closer to it than deliberately listing them in alphabetical order.

There are obvious ways this change can be used to conceal the general location of certain finds/plants.
Re: Just Whistle
Board: Prayer and Healing
Reply to: #147819 by Big Ox and the Herd
Oct 31, 2007 3:54am
Thread Board
May she be healed from the soles of her feet to the crown of her head.

She is blessed with sons like y'all.
Re: Help! I don't want to crash my computer
Board: Computers, iPods, and Other Electronics
Reply to: #147834 by Romana
Oct 31, 2007 3:56am
Thread Board
Quote ram can be bought, and (I think) just plugged in, but I don't know where it gets plugged in to. also, if you're that much short on ram, probably the processor is too slow to run the program also.

Most games other than major first person shooter types simply recommend a 'Pentium II or higher' processor but do not REQUIRE one and Zoo Tycoon is "slow" enough (ie, the game itself is not overly demanding) that it would be fine. Installing RAM requires opening the case and fiddling with the insides, which does scare a lot of people. However, the game also will not REQUIRE it, just recommend, so in all honesty you should still be able to play the game. If things seem too sluggish, THEN worry about:

Quote best solution if you want to run the game: buy new computer
next best solution: buy some ram...then when you DO get a new computer, take the ram you bought and put it in the new one so your money isn't wasted
next best solution: don't play the game...anyway, that sort of game takes a lot of time, so you don't want to install it before Nano is over, or you won't get anything written!

As for this, the "best" solution is fine but the "next best" is an issue in that there are various types of RAM and I can basically promise that something from a 5 year old computer will NOT work in a new system, so don't make that your deciding factor...
Reply to: #147839 by Blooming Flower
Oct 31, 2007 3:59am
Thread Board
"OMG, that is so funny. I hadn't seen that addition to the spritesstuff line. But, when are you going to model a pair so we can see how they look on a live person?"

MY EYES! MY EYES!
Re: 22 letterboxes to plant..
Board: State: North Carolina
Reply to: #147810 by Alyson Wonderland
Oct 31, 2007 4:00am
Thread Board
Quote but fear not... i'm sure alot of them will be more challenging drive bys.

Oh, I loooooove a challenging drive-by ;-))

Mama Fox
Anyone heard from Dizzy?
Oct 31, 2007 4:33am
Board
I sent an AQ mail to Dizzy about a week ago and I haven't heard anything - has anyone else? I'm afraid that she has some postals stuck with her and I would like to get them moving to the next person (who is patiently waiting I might add). If anyone has any info, please AQ mail me.

Thanks,
DW
Watch out for the Stomach Flu
Oct 31, 2007 4:38am
Thread Board
I just wanted to let you all know that I'm doing alright now. On sunday this nasty stomach flu hit me so hard I couldn't even move. I thought I'd be fine the next day but nope just worse. So yesterday I went to the doctor and she gave me some kinda meds to keep food and liquid in me. (As I type I'm enjoying some wonderful(sarcastic) flat gingerale and dry toast. I'm glad I can sit up and stuff now.
So I have about 25 plbs at my house and I will stamp them all hopefully by friday and get them out. Sorry about the delay but I'm a terrible sick person. So, They should be all set and ready to go by friday. Thanks for understanding.

-HG
Reply to: #147798 by Alyson Wonderland
Oct 31, 2007 4:42am
Thread Board
i have 22 letterboxes carved,

Thank goodness for P.A.L. Day to actually motivate you to get them out of the house!
Re: MONO question
Board: State: Ohio
Reply to: #147796 by songwriter
Oct 31, 2007 4:42am
Thread Board
I like that idea and had considered doing some kind of like that myself before.
Someone will go after them eventually.

I'm also pretty sure I _live_ in the middle of nowhere, lol.

-otterbelly
Reply to: #147831 by WalkinOrange
Oct 31, 2007 4:46am
Thread Board
Besides... please don't distract her until AFTER the Box of the Month is planted.

Scarab mailed it the other day-- so I expect to plant it this weekend!

I also finished a stamp for the 5 Secrets box. If the other people can get those stamps into X by 11/20 I may be able to get the box into the Raleigh area by 11/23. *crossing fingers*

And then there is the other X box that will be going out in Matthews probably sometime in 11/07.

I also just sent a box to dtandfambly for Table Rock.

And then there is BABE to start carving for.

Lots of projects planned! :)
Re: MONO question
Board: State: Ohio
Reply to: #147796 by songwriter
Oct 31, 2007 4:47am
Thread Board
would anyone out there even be interested in hunting stamps in the middle of nowhere?????

Are you kidding?
1. I live in the middle of nowhere, so it's easy for me to get there! :)

2. If it's a box, they'll hunt it.

3. Have you ever gone after some of Pioneer Spirit's boxes? That man can get out there! Some of the best places I've discovered, I wouldn't have even known about had he not put one (or two) out in the middle of nowhere!

4. If it's a box, they'll hunt it...oh, did I already say that? :)

Mama Out There Huntin Dog