A Letterboxing Community

Search Edit Search

Read Board: Letterboxing: The Game

Re: @ L&B
Board: Letterboxing: The Game
Reply to: #802395 by Aiphid
Sep 3, 2013 2:51pm
Thread
I'm trying to come up with some ways to have it more available.

Well, I just came up with one way! :)
Reply to: #802397 by The Wolf Family
Sep 3, 2013 2:54pm
Thread
Well, that makes it slightly more available, anyway. But not completely available :) Turns out, people are pretty BUSY at events and don't have the time to just sit and play games :)
Reply to: #802399 by Aiphid
Sep 3, 2013 3:04pm
Thread
You're right. It doesn't have to be at just events. Mini meets could be better. Basically, anyone can contact me and I'll try and circulate it.
Reply to: #802399 by Aiphid
Sep 3, 2013 6:00pm
Thread
Turns out, people are pretty BUSY at events and don't have the time to just sit and play games :)

Yeah. It's even harder when the person who has the game is out looking for boxes! It took me two days to get a game going! I had enough people--but I didn't have the game! =)

-- Ryan
Reply to: #802466 by Green Tortuga
Sep 3, 2013 6:04pm
Thread
The realproblem was that I was the only one who knew the rules. I couldn't even leave it behind while going out hiking :)
Reply to: #802470 by Aiphid
Sep 3, 2013 6:15pm
Thread
You wrote the rules on your blog. I do believe Ryan can read! :) And if not, I'm sure he is perfectly capable of improvising. I know I am!
Reply to: #802472 by The Wolf Family
Sep 3, 2013 6:17pm
Thread
And if not, I'm sure he is perfectly capable of improvising. I know I am!

well, now, this is a problem. YOU improvising the rules is not something a lot of non-wolves are comfortable with. . .

~tigs
Reply to: #802475 by tiggermama
Sep 3, 2013 6:23pm
Thread
You'd like my rules if you just gave them a chance!
PnP
Jan 9, 2014 5:14pm
Thread
Would any of you folks be interested in a PnP (print and play) version of the game? I am thinking about making a version that's just the cards and one that's the cards with the scanned stamps. I would also include instructions/suggestions for printing them, cutting them, and prepping them for play.
Re: PnP
Reply to: #824437 by Aiphid
Jan 9, 2014 8:01pm
Thread
Would any of you folks be interested in a PnP (print and play) version of the game?

YES!!!!
Jan 10, 2014 6:24am
Thread
I have a few of the cards :)

Would love the whole set any way I can get it. Please consider and offer a PnP :)

Thanks so much!!
Reply to: #824463 by wassamatta u
Jan 10, 2014 7:40am
Thread
OK -- I posted a few pages for people to try it out. They should be pretty good quality PDFs. The number in the "Copies" column says how many of each file you need to print out. The backs should be printed on all of them :) I used Sam's Club 110lb white cover paper and a laser printer when I printed mine.

Let me know how it goes and I'll work on converting the rest of them into printable PDFs.
Jan 10, 2014 10:32am
Thread
A definite yes from me too. I'll print in a bit. I have a laminater too, so yay! Thanks for doing this. :)
Reply to: #824534 by Hosmer's
Jan 10, 2014 10:35am
Thread
Once I get a confirmation that everything's printing/cutting OK, I'll print off a set, stamp it up, and then scan the results for the "with the images" version :)
Reply to: #824535 by Aiphid
Jan 10, 2014 10:41am
Thread
Alrighty. Well I'm just being a bum right now anyway, so I'll test it out.
Reply to: #824535 by Aiphid
Jan 10, 2014 11:10am
Thread
I printed off the mystery cards, front and back, and they seem to be just fine. I cut them and it's easy to get them to the right size. Everything is not exactly in the same position on every card, but all the info is there and it looks nice. I only mention that, in case it's something that bothers you. It doesn't bother me at all. Can't wait to play the card game! :)
Reply to: #824547 by Hosmer's
Jan 10, 2014 11:27am
Thread
It's supposed to be a 1/4" margin top/bottom, but that's really small, so printers might print it just a little differently. I know that when I cut them, I used a slightly larger cut on one side versus the other to get the cards to line up perfectly (or close to perfectly).
Reply to: #824553 by Aiphid
Jan 10, 2014 11:46am
Thread
Yeah, my printer was being dumb. I'm not that worried about it as long as the cards are the same size.
Reply to: #824558 by Hosmer's
Jan 10, 2014 11:53am
Thread
Did they fit the full 2.5x3.5, or are the cards squished/stretched?
Reply to: #824463 by wassamatta u
Jan 10, 2014 11:54am
Thread
Hmm... Amazon's offering "used" lamination sheets at a slight discount. Do you need to scrape them off of something to use them again?
Reply to: #824560 by Aiphid
Jan 10, 2014 12:17pm
Thread
The middle cards filled the whole area. The side cards bottom line didn't go all the way to the edge. Nothing was distorted. I can take a pic if you like. My printer did print at a slight angle though, so that's why some are higher on the card and some are lower.
Reply to: #824563 by Hosmer's
Jan 10, 2014 12:23pm
Thread
The side cards bottom line didn't go all the way to the edge.

Hmm.. It's possible that it's out of the printable area of your printer. The margins that I used to squeeze 9 cards on a page are really, really small!

I'll double-check that the conversion to PDF that I used (I used a different method than when I printed the game for myself) is not adding any additional margin space.

My printer did print at a slight angle though

I hate when they do that! Luckily, the manual feed on my printer works pretty well. I only had to toss about a dozen or so printed sheets for printing errors.
Reply to: #824566 by Aiphid
Jan 10, 2014 12:36pm
Thread
That makes sense. I'll check my printer settings in a bit.
Reply to: #824566 by Aiphid
Jan 10, 2014 4:03pm
Thread
Okay, finally adjusted my printer settings. If I set it for borderless printing and not adjust it to fit page (just leave it at no settings in that option), then it prints and fits the page fine when I cut it up.
Reply to: #824595 by Hosmer's
Sep 13, 2014 8:14pm
Thread
I looked to see if the PDF was accessible but I seem to be getting a broken Google Doc link now. And I really can't tell if a full set was ever completed on PDF.

Hosmer's, did it work for you? There are several people now interested after seeing a photo of the game play on FB. I was thinking of circulating a deck or linking them to the PDF.
Traveling Copy
Sep 16, 2014 7:56am
OK, I have an almost complete copy that I will be able to start sending around for events and mini meets. Check out the tracker if you're interested:

http://www.atlasquest.com/showinfo.html?gTrackerId=7954
printed copies?
Oct 19, 2014 6:42am
Creating a box
Nov 16, 2014 9:48am
I made a nice box for Okie Dog and got her a set of cards as a keepsake. Her brother, Safari Man, participated in the original project and I sponsored a tribute card for him.
Here is the box creation:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B-MYK9vFiG2JYVdZc0xubDdQVEE/view?usp=sharing
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B-MYK9vFiG2JOVp1cnJZRTlJaEU/view?usp=sharing
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B-MYK9vFiG2JbTdZNHBKcTRTaG8/view?usp=sharing
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B-MYK9vFiG2JWFZsN2h3bjlDVGs/view?usp=sharing

The first box I made (you can see on the tracker) has permanent dividers. I regret that I did that now that I know about the Expansion sets. I think the foam divider that Topcollector did was a better idea (it's adjustable and fits snug. I did that on this box.

The box was $4.99 at Michael's (even cheaper if you have a 40% off coupon).
New Card Ideas
Dec 5, 2014 12:06pm
Thread
Well, we've played the game three times now, and my boys were very excited about the idea of designing new cards. Here are some of the ideas we came up with:

eevil card - "The Wrong Backpack"
Eevil Attack: All players pass their hand to the left.
+5 ink
Cost: 8 ink 2 miles

eevil card - "The Critter Chewed Box"
Eevil Attack: Discard a card from your hand. If a Maintenance card is discarded draw another card.
+? miles
Cost: 8 miles

eevil card - "The Snack Attack"
We haven't thought this one out, but I do have a stamp we could use.

"The SPOR" - Not sure if it should be an eevil card, or an outing card. I have several "Rock Monster" stamps to choose from.

Does anyone else have card ideas they could share, or tweaks for these ideas?

-TKV
Re: New Card Ideas
Reply to: #879250 by TheKindlyVikings
Dec 6, 2014 11:50pm
Thread
Those do look like cool ideas!! And I like what you came up with for eevil attacks!
As I understand it, new cards are Sponsored Cards which have a cost to create. Are you interested in doing them as a Sponsored Card? Or just tossing ideas in case someone else is?

Also, there are several Sponsored Cards that are being done as tributes and will be eevil cards. I think a few of those people are having difficulty coming up with a specific eevil attack for them (or hoping Aiphid will, like he did for the Safari Man one I did). Would you be interested in maybe assisting with ideas for that if people needed them? I knew all of the people who are having tributes done so I have a lot of info. I THINK Aiphid already has the stamp images and perhaps we just need ideas for them?

There was a spreadsheet somewhere with all the Sponsored cards on it, but I can't recall where it is at the moment. I do recall that Nanni, Preboxed, and Blooming Flowers were on it.