A Letterboxing Community

Search Edit Search

Read Board: Box Radar

Re: Not Working Right
Board: Box Radar
Reply to: #943252 by Kirbert
Mar 23, 2017 3:27pm
Thread
OK, I think I figured out the problem here. The boxes in question are apparently restricted to "Everybody", meaning you have to be logged in for them to show up in a search. On AQ, they show up fine when I'm logged in, but when I log out and perform the same search they don't show up.

So apparently BR is conducting a search without logging me in as a registered member. Maybe I can fix that, I dunno. It says it's logging in successfully, but these boxes still don't show up.
Reply to: #943398 by Kirbert
Mar 24, 2017 4:49am
Thread
I'm having similar difficulty in that when it tells me I'm signed in, it seems I'm really not. Even for boxes that show up, when I attempt to find the clue online so I can check latest finds and whatnot, it won't take me to the page in AQ at all. In LbNA, it won't show status until I manually log in. Then I have to do a hard search for the box, b/c it won't let me just go back to the clue page and still remember that I'm logged in the way it does on my PC.
Reply to: #943194 by Kirbert
Apr 7, 2017 5:35pm
Thread
I have found Box Radar to not be working properly for over a year now. It makes me very sad because I (still) use it all the time. While I open it whenever I am out and about, I am not confident that it is accurate. I mostly use the handy itinerary feature for trips I am able to plan, when I can use AQ at the same time. I don't know what happened. I wondered if some major code change happened at AQ and the app developer is no longer maintaining Box Radar.
Reply to: #944222 by thunderbird
Apr 7, 2017 5:37pm
Thread
I also have to log finds through AQ, because Box Radar doesn't do it, even when I synch after. Sadness.
Reply to: #943296 by PI Joe
Apr 10, 2017 8:42pm
Thread
I'm surprised as well. Neither have complete APIs, so much of the functionality comes from using the same form fields as the website. Unfortunately, that's very fragile as any change to the form fields, names, or link structure can break functionality.
Reply to: #943398 by Kirbert
Apr 10, 2017 8:44pm
Thread
For searching, it uses your an authentication scheme specific to the API. There could be an issue with the AQ search not honoring that restriction.
Reply to: #943412 by Wry Me
Apr 10, 2017 8:45pm
Thread
That's not how the app works. It's not a web browser and it doesn't use your web browser's session.
Reply to: #943412 by Wry Me
Apr 11, 2017 7:30pm
Thread
I don't explain these things well, but I get an error message when I attempt to view clues online. When it does work, and I look for the status on LbNA, or view finds on AQ, it won't show it to me until I manually log on to each web site. I don't remember it not working like before, so I assumed something had gone wrong.

So when Box Radar says "logged into AQ" or whatever the exact phrase is, what does that mean in terms of how it should function? I have the paid version, if that matters. Not sure if there is a difference. I am not hip to these things at all, obviously.
Reply to: #944413 by Wry Me
Apr 11, 2017 7:39pm
Thread
If you open a clue on the web from Box Radar, you /will/ have to log in on the browser if you weren't already.
Reply to: #944414 by Aiphid
Apr 11, 2017 7:50pm
Thread
Seriously forgive my ignorance: what is Box Radar doing when it says it's logging on and looking for subaccounts?
Reply to: #944377 by Aiphid
Apr 12, 2017 6:43am
Thread
I have been playing around with box radar on a couple android phones just to make sure the problem doesn't lie with the phone. The app stops working when you launch the app if you add LBNA to the setup, even if you just use LBNA without AQ. The app works fine with AQ. Every android I have tried this on does it.

The solution, unfortunately, is to not configure Box Radar to be used with LbNA.
Reply to: #944416 by Wry Me
Apr 12, 2017 7:30am
Thread
what is Box Radar doing when it says it's logging on and looking for subaccounts?

I'm not super-knowledgeable about Box Radar, but I think Aiphid was referring to the fact that being logged into AQ on the app is not the same as being logged in from your browser. Those are two different apps and if you open a clue in a browser from Box Radar, you might have to log in again to see the clue if it's restricted.

If you're always logged in with your browser, that shouldn't make any difference. But if your browser is automatically deleting your cookies every time you close it or you haven't selected the option to automatically log in when you go to AQ, you'll have to log in again.

-- Ryan
Reply to: #944431 by Green Tortuga
Apr 12, 2017 8:35am
Thread
Thanks. I'm so clueless.
Reply to: #944428 by Phoenix Rizing
Apr 12, 2017 9:39am
Thread
This looks so helpful. I used to use Box Radar a lot. But now it quits even before it finishes loading on my android. I hope when I remove the LBNA connection it helps. I will really miss not having LBNA boxes show up - lots of oldies-but-goodies. But if it works that will be better than nothing. Thanks for all your efforts.
Reply to: #944416 by Wry Me
Apr 12, 2017 2:13pm
Thread
It's looking to see if you have any sub-accounts so that they can be used when logging.
Reply to: #944450 by Aiphid
Apr 12, 2017 6:23pm
Thread
Aiphid. any chance either you or someone else could update Box Radar? I really miss using it for both LBNA and Atlas Quest. I was hoping buying the plus edition would keep it viable. Sad that no one seems to want to keep it up and running.
Reply to: #944440 by Woodland Paws
Apr 13, 2017 8:49am
Thread
It's a shame that it doesn't work with LbNA. I installed Chrome on my android and look up the clues there. I would rather that BR was fixed, I purchased the app hoping that it would be updated periodically but no updates in 5 years...
Reply to: #944484 by Phoenix Rizing
Apr 14, 2017 6:33am
Thread
Box Radar was meant as something nice to give to the letterboxing community, and a chance to dabble in app development. Creating and maintaining an app like that takes hundreds or thousands of hours and thousands of dollars. Neither are things that I have had burning holes in my pockets lately.

It would be nice to take some time off and write a new version to address all the concerns, but if and when I do, I will get flamed by all the people that have been using the same devices for the last 5+ years. The mobile world moves quickly and devices get obsoleted sooner than people would hope.
Itineraries
Jun 16, 2018 4:50pm
Thread
I saved several boxes to an itinerary. Several days later, when I checked the itinerary, which indicates there are 15 boxes, the list is empty. Help!
Re: Itineraries
Reply to: #961353 by ThreeBears
Jun 17, 2018 3:06pm
Thread
Box Radar is broken and the author hasn't updated it in years.
Box Radar is Gone
Jun 17, 2018 3:29pm
Thread
Apparently, Box Radar is no longer a Google App and when you go to the website it errors.
Re: Itineraries
Reply to: #961353 by ThreeBears
Jun 17, 2018 4:59pm
Thread
It looks like there it is nothing you can do. This is the creator's last post regarding the app...in 2017. Then they posted again in April of 2017 about something else and haven't been seen since.

Box Radar was meant as something nice to give to the letterboxing community, and a chance to dabble in app development. Creating and maintaining an app like that takes hundreds or thousands of hours and thousands of dollars. Neither are things that I have had burning holes in my pockets lately.

It would be nice to take some time off and write a new version to address all the concerns, but if and when I do, I will get flamed by all the people that have been using the same devices for the last 5+ years. The mobile world moves quickly and devices get obsoleted sooner than people would hope
Re: Box Radar is Gone
Reply to: #961401 by Phoenix Rizing
Sep 18, 2018 4:47am
Thread
I just deleted my phone to get rid of a virus and now I can't get box radar back? Does anyone know anything about this?
Reply to: #965497 by Fantastic Mrs. Fox
Sep 18, 2018 6:40am
Thread
Either Aiphid has pulled it from Google Play or Google has dropped it from availability. Aiphid stopped development and support for it some time ago and those of us who still have and and use everyday really wish that was not the case but it is what it is. Aiphid provided a great product and service but I think the demands on his time and resources were more than he could continue to provide.

PI Joe
Reply to: #961401 by Phoenix Rizing
Sep 18, 2018 8:54am
Thread
Yeah, I recently got a phone that I could use it on and found out now I can't get it.
Reply to: #965501 by PI Joe
Sep 23, 2018 2:08pm
Thread
I wish I had the knowledge to help this app. It is my favorite

~Aurora
Reply to: #965510 by Topcollector
Oct 11, 2018 9:45pm
Thread
My Box Radar got accidentally deleted & now I can't find it. From what I am reading, it's gone. Right?
Reply to: #966692 by All 4 Bama
Oct 12, 2018 6:57am
Thread
That appears to be correct.
Reply to: #966707 by PI Joe
Oct 12, 2018 9:58am
Thread
Really sad. Thank you shout out to Aiphid for the app creation ( I think that's who I saw created it) . I can't imagine how much work went into it. I really enjoyed having it!
Reply to: #966713 by All 4 Bama
Oct 12, 2018 2:25pm
Thread
It was a really good app! I'm sad that it's gone, but I suppose that it was a lot to maintain.