A Letterboxing Community

Search Edit Search

Read Board: Box Radar

Re: Ignoring Unknowns?
Board: Box Radar
Reply to: #864795 by marrtians
Aug 19, 2014 5:17am
Thread
There's a box with two horizontal lines on the bottom left of my phone when I'm on the BR map. I'm not sure if all phones have the same settings. When I touch it I get a list that includes "Settings". Go to the settings page. Click on Atlas Quest at the top of the page. Remove the "Include Unknown Boxes" checkmark.

You can also ignore a box when on the BR clue. Click on the two horizontal lines again to get to a menu which has an "Ignore Box" option.
Re: Trying to learn
Reply to: #864868 by Kirbert
Aug 19, 2014 5:50am
Thread
Thanks Kirbert. I'll look for that. I found the page that has the 3 tabs at the top but not anything that says box radar or image caching. I have an 'itinerary' that I manually put the clues in that I want to look for.
Reply to: #864807 by Topcollector
Aug 19, 2014 6:31am
Thread
Has anyone every thought of having a box radar event or mini meet? I'm still trying to learn how to use it too TC. I can find boxes with it but that's about the extend of it.
Reply to: #864908 by scouttrekkie
Aug 19, 2014 9:53am
Thread
I always do better with hands-on help. From what I am gathering a lot depends on the phone you use. I can find the boxes with the search, but I have to know what I'm looking for. I had hoped to be driving down the road and be able to see that there was a box somewhere near, but my map isn't showing any boxes. Maybe that's not how it works. I think it'll still be good for our St. Louis outings. There are SO many boxes there, I've thrown away too much paper for boxes I didn't get to hunt for & my binders got too outdated.
Reply to: #864947 by Topcollector
Aug 19, 2014 1:05pm
Thread
I agree, hand-on help is the only way to figure things out. I have a android and it works great with box radar. I can find the boxes but as far as doing the itinerary and saving the clues for when you don't have connection that's questionable.
Reply to: #864976 by scouttrekkie
Aug 19, 2014 1:14pm
Thread
I can find the boxes but as far as doing the itinerary and saving the clues for when you don't have connection that's questionable.

If you can find the boxes, you have saved them for when you don't have a connection. Box Radar will not show you anything that it hasn't saved to your device. It's meant to be fool proof ;)
Reply to: #864976 by scouttrekkie
Aug 19, 2014 2:04pm
Thread
If you want to drive down the road and use it, for it to work well, you need to load the map for that area first. Otherwise, it seems like it tries to find boxes, but since it is looking for your GPS location, and you are moving, it just can't catch up. It only seems to be able to track a box on a map for a few miles, if you are moving. (Is that everyone else's experience?). Make sure your phone GPS locator is turned on.

Also if only LBNa boxes are showing up, make sure you have gone to the tab with the 3 dots, click Settings, looked at the atlasquest tab (very top of Settings tab) and make sure you put in your Atlasquest password.

When you said you didn't find that Atlasquest tab, I was thinking you may have missed that step. I hope that helps!

Maybe Aiphid or someone can make us a little video tutorial?
Reply to: #864988 by FloridaFour
Aug 19, 2014 3:35pm
Thread
Thanks Aiphid, I really appreciate everything you do for Box Radar. Going paperless and finding spur-of-the-moment boxes is great. I'm going to do my part of supporting it by signing up as a member. :)

Oh yeah, a video on youtube for how to take full advantage of boxradar, that would be a great idea FloridaFour!
MapQuest
Aug 19, 2014 6:16pm
I have an app on my Android tablet called "GPS Essentials". It's sort of a general toolbox for GPS features, some of which I haven't figured out yet (it's not as intuitive as I'd like -- or maybe my intuition is a coupla generations outta date, I dunno.)

It has one feature, though, called "portable maps" -- maps which are usable when you're outta range of wifi or whatever data source your device uses. I already have Maps With Me, which involves downloading a map of the state or region in advance, and I really like that since I don't have to plan too closely exactly where I expect to go. But this one works differently: When you have a data connection, you just pan around the areas you're interested in and it automagically saves the "tiles" that you come across, at whatever zoom you're at. So, if there's an area you need close detail on, you can zoom in on that area and it'll save those zoomed-in sections of the maps.

Reading the support info on the app, the author says the only mapping data this will work with is MapQuest. It doesn't look like the regular MapQuest maps, though; this is apparently another system offered by MapQuest, and these are in fact OSM maps. They're updated quickly, too; just as a test, I did some editing on OSM and the changes showed up in the Portable Maps on GPS Essentials within a few hours -- in fact, about as quickly as they show up on OSM itself, since it sometimes takes OSM a while to update all the layers. Maps With Me can take a couple of months to update their OSM maps.

The thing that struck me about this is that the method of saving the tiles -- just pan around -- is exactly the same way that Box Radar saves the letterboxes! Aiphid, I know you're listening! If you can figure out how GPS Essentials did this, you should just blatantly copy it into Box Radar. We could just pan around, and it'd save the maps and the boxes all at the same time, and we'd be ready to hit the road!
Reply to: #864868 by Kirbert
Aug 19, 2014 11:00pm
Thread
I just found the internal storage and automatic download boxes. Thanks.
Shout Out to Aiphid
Sep 10, 2014 6:28pm
Thread
Here's why I love Box Radar:

When I'm on vacation I don't know the area, but Box Radar does.
I don't have time to compile all the clues, but Box Radar does.
I often forget to cross-reference my vacation location with LbNA, but that's OK because Box Radar does.

Today I found a box was placed in 2001 and has not been found for over three years. When I contacted the planter to report the box in good condition, he said that I made his day.

Thanks to Box Radar for putting the pin on the map.
Thanks to Aiphid for keeping Box Radar running.
Re: Shout Out to Aiphid
Reply to: #868275 by Dartmoor Dreamer
Sep 10, 2014 7:07pm
Thread
I agree. It has been a really awesome tool! I upgraded to Box Radar Plus a while ago to support it. And that doesnt seem to even be an annual thing like premium membership on AQ. I just did once and I still have it!
Stupid question
Sep 10, 2014 7:10pm
Thread
Is this only for android or can I use it on iphone too?
Re: Stupid question
Reply to: #868281 by S and D
Sep 10, 2014 7:12pm
Thread
Box Radar is for Android only. There are other apps for iphones.
Reply to: #868282 by The Wolf Family
Sep 10, 2014 7:27pm
Thread
That's how I end a conversation with someone who is trying to convince me to get an IPhone.
Reply to: #868284 by Angel and Demon
Sep 10, 2014 7:43pm
Thread
every device has their perks/ love my iphone. Too bad about box radar. I do have clue finder.
Reply to: #868285 by S and D
Sep 10, 2014 8:15pm
Thread
Pretty much everyone in my family has an IPhone, as does the Demon. They are often trying to convert me. Honestly, I use a PC, and I have given my soul over to Google. But when I bring up Box Radar, they realize that their campaign is hopeless.
Reply to: #868285 by S and D
Sep 10, 2014 8:54pm
Thread
Interestingly, I think the apps for iphones came along first. Box Radar was developed so that people who had Androids ALSO had an app. It's kind of funny to me when people think that Box Radar should now be on iphones. An app already existed there, and I don't think the developer had any need or desire to be competitive with that. Basically, Box Radar just made it possible so phones other than iphones could have letterboxing tools!

And as it turns out, it's a really, really good app!
Reply to: #868292 by The Wolf Family
Sep 10, 2014 9:28pm
Thread
Everything for iPhones came first. Last I heard, nearly 90% of the tablets out there are iPads. There were something like 70,000 apps available for the iPad/iPhone before Android was even introduced. At the present time, Android devices are an also-ran -- but that's gonna change pretty quickly, because Android -- unlike Apple, Kindle, or Windows -- is open-source. And once users come to appreciate what that means, it's gonna be all over for the competition.
Reply to: #868293 by Kirbert
Sep 10, 2014 9:47pm
Thread
Android -- unlike Apple, Kindle, or Windows -- is open-source. And once users come to appreciate what that means, it's gonna be all over for the competition.

Is that why Windows is already gone?
I'm a Linux user, if I haven't told you before. I also have an Android tablet. I'm a cheerleader for Open Source, but I don't think that "users come to appreciate what that means". Because, "If it's free it must not be worth anything." People will still buy the top two, though stuff from Apple is the higher quality of the two.
Sep 10, 2014 10:52pm
Thread
An app already existed there

Actually, there are two apps for the iPhone - Clue Tracker and Clue Finder. The people behind Clue Tracker are very nice and active.
Sep 11, 2014 5:33am
Thread
you are absolutely right mama wolf. and at the time of BR's development, the developer had to borrow an android phone and use emulators to test the ap. BR is the reason I still have a Droid
Re: Shout Out to Aiphid
Reply to: #868280 by The Wolf Family
Sep 11, 2014 7:19am
Thread
I use BR Plus, too. This app is worth supporting!

I also left positive feedback in the app store. I think developers appreciate that, and it takes only a minute to do!
Why no finds?
Sep 13, 2014 6:00pm
Thread
I've just recently downloaded Box Radar. I think it will come in very handy. My only problem is that it when it says I'm logged in to Atlasquest, it shows me as having 0 finds. I haven't logged any of my finds with my phone, but it seems like it would display the same number of finds that Atlasquest shows on my computer. Because of this, I don't think it's showing me any boxes with a P or F restriction. How do I correct this?

Thanks in advance!
Re: Why no finds?
Reply to: #868557 by Woodswoman
Sep 13, 2014 6:50pm
Thread
It lists me as having no finds yet it has the boxes I've found in grey so part of it knows I've found boxes. Nevertheless, I think it's showing me boxes with restrictions on them so the error seems to be with the F count display. Or me--maybe I'm doing something screwy.
Sep 13, 2014 8:45pm
Thread
I just checked Box Radar. I found 2 boxes this week, and they are not showing up as found by me. In fact, one says, Last Found May 30, which is incorrect, as at least 2 people have found it since. I tried synchronize, but it did not record my find. (I recorded them through Atlasquest).

So I do think there is an issue with synchronization.
Sep 13, 2014 9:35pm
Thread
?

Box Radar doesn't display f-counts.
Reply to: #868581 by FloridaFour
Sep 13, 2014 9:36pm
Thread
If you didn't log on the phone, synchronize won't do anything. The next time it downloads the clue it'll go away.
Reply to: #868584 by Aiphid
Sep 14, 2014 12:26am
Thread
Oh, I figured it would work both ways. I did wonder why they were listed as found so long ago. So now I guess if I log it on Box Radar, it should go away, but will it show as logged again on Atlasquest? I guess I will try it and find out.
Reply to: #868583 by Aiphid
Sep 14, 2014 4:24pm
Thread
When I click on the picture of the satellite and I get the page with all the green checkmarks, one of them says Recorded Atlas Quest Finds. It has zeros for AQ, LbNA, and WOM. But perhaps that is just a count of the number of finds I've logged in through Box Radar.

I do see that boxes are showing up with higher F-count requirements after all, so that's good. I was just confused because three boxes I planted this week were not showing up. Is it because they're my plants, or because they're very recent?

Thanks!