Skip to Content
Register · Login

A Letterboxing Community

Search Edit Search

Read Board: Repeat Questions - Say That Again?

Re: Sharing pictures of finds on social media
Board: Repeat Questions - Say That Again?
Reply to: #978997 by Worlds Wolf
Sep 1, 2019 12:33pm
Thread
I enjoy sharing my letterboxing experiences, and my [followers, friends, whatever you want to call them] enjoy seeing them.

But I'm wondering whether or not it's courteous, especially because I know some people like the stamp image to be a surprise when they find letterboxes.

Good question!

I'd think it would be a good way to introduce people to the hobby, if your social media groups are non-boxers. As a planter, I agree I'd be flattered by people showing off my stamp images. But, the planter's own wishes come first. Best to get permission before posting other people's art publicly.

The main thing I'd warn against is accidentally giving away letterbox locations through pictures.
Sep 1, 2019 1:41pm
Thread
I'm a carver and like planting. I don't mind. I know that I like showing non lb people the stamps that I find that are artistically interesting or excellent.

I don't see the harm in sharing. I find some of the views here baffling.
Reply to: #979008 by MissMoon
Sep 1, 2019 1:42pm
Thread
Rules aren't made out of nothing, they are born out of (hopefully) general consensus of what behavior is appropriate. And sometimes people can disagree.
Reply to: #979029 by coldsnap
Sep 1, 2019 5:14pm
Thread

A)Showing off a stamp image where another boxer might see it (like social media) is the same as telling someone the end of a movie or book before they’ve had a chance to take that journey themselves. You’ve spoiled the experience for them.

B) Showing off an image to another boxer is disrespectful to the planter, lessening the experience they’ve intended for the finder. I only show an image to another boxer if I know they won’t be able to go after the box themselves.
Reply to: #979038 by JampersandJ
Sep 1, 2019 6:00pm
Thread
I still don't agree. I recognize that when I release my art into the world, people react and share and pass judgement on it. If I didn't want it to be seen, I wouldn't plant it. Once it leaves my hands I don't have full control over it anymore. I'm literally putting a piece of rubber in the forest!
Reply to: #979029 by coldsnap
Sep 1, 2019 6:37pm
Thread

You don't really have to understand their views, though--just know they exist and that you need to work around them. You have to know that others will get upset if you share their work--if you want to get along with people, you have to respect their point of view.

Most of my boxes, I don't really care if people share the stamp image. But there are a few exceptions (for various reasons) so I'd rather people not share my images unless I explicitly let them know that it's one I'm okay with.

-- Ryan
Sep 1, 2019 6:45pm
Thread
I honestly appreciate you asking it in this forum, some people may have jumped into this addiction, I mean hobby, and not known.
Reply to: #979041 by coldsnap
Sep 1, 2019 10:22pm
Thread
I still don't agree. I recognize that when I release my art into the world, people react and share and pass judgement on it. If I didn't want it to be seen, I wouldn't plant it.

Then by all means, post YOUR stamp images on social media or anywhere you wish. The distinction here is that the vast majority of planters do NOT want their images seen by anyone other than the letterboxers who followed their carefully crafted clues, and made the trek to the location they chose to take them to. That's why acceptable practice is to never post someone else's image unless they give you permission to do so.
Reply to: #979041 by coldsnap
Sep 2, 2019 1:26am
Thread
I recognize that when I release my art into the world, people react and share and pass judgement on it. If I didn't want it to be seen, I wouldn't plant it.

I don’t want you to feel attacked for a contrary opinion. If everyone thought the same way about everything, message boards would have no reason to exist.

What I think you’re not understanding is what “my art” is. It isn’t just the stamp. It is the clue you followed to get to it, and it is the location I wished to take you. You EARN the right to see my stamp when you have solved my clues, and you fully UNDERSTAND my stamp when seen in the context of it’s location, not just a photo of it on social media. I put my stamp out into the world for you to enjoy the FULL experience of letterboxing, not just the viewing of an image. Yes, I want my stamps to be seen, but only by the select few who put in the effort.

K
Reply to: #979059 by Kelsung
Sep 2, 2019 7:36am
Thread
Honestly it's not a matter of the finders feeling or opinion...
If you got the clue from Atlas Quest the planter has every reasson to be upset when you Break the Code of Conduct and share an image they created without consent.
Here is a big reasson, beyond spoilers or personal preferences not to share images in public fourms---- in cases where the image is a copy of a copyright you are advertising this copyright breach publically and that could lead to legal action against the Carver. You wouldn't want you boxing friends getting dragged into court would you?
Reply to: #979067 by Quarry
Sep 2, 2019 8:59am
Thread
in cases where the image is a copy of a copyright you are advertising this copyright breach publically and that could lead to legal action against the Carver. You wouldn't want you boxing friends getting dragged into court would you?

I may be treated like fan fiction or they may go against you aggressively. If you become one of those "random strikes" it won't matter if you're right (i.e.: engaging in fair use) because they will bankrupt you.

But it also reminds me of this video that I watched recently.
Reply to: #979072 by Oberon_Kenobi
Sep 2, 2019 9:09am
Thread
And you should also watch this video.
Sep 2, 2019 10:42am
Thread
Yes, I want my stamps to be seen, but only by the select few who put in the effort.

Confession--I love looking through other people's logbooks.
Reply to: #979072 by Oberon_Kenobi
Sep 2, 2019 1:23pm
Thread
I think to say that "sharing pictures of carves on social media will lead to aggressive legal action by copyright holders and thereby endanger them" is
the wildest leap.

Also edited to remove HTML - didn't realize the forum wouldn't accept that.
Sep 2, 2019 1:25pm
Thread
Right - my art, as you point out, extends past the physical rubber I carve. I put it on the internet. On the internet! I know all kinds of people will read it (well, hopefully...I like having my plants found!) but that they might look for it, and respond to it, in ways that I do not intend. Which includes seeing it in others' logbooks, skipping all those painstaking clues I put down. It happens!
Reply to: #979084 by coldsnap
Sep 2, 2019 1:47pm
Thread
I think to say that "sharing pictures of carves on social media will lead to aggressive legal action by copyright holders and thereby endanger them" is the wildest leap.

Those copyright holders who have aggressively gone after fan fiction have been seriously disliked by their own fans. That isn't to say that they won't go after any one in particular, especially if it casts their intellectual property in a bad light.

I try to carve images from public domain source. I preferred Open Clip Art, but it has been down for several months. I have sought out other sources for public domain images.

Nevertheless, when there is an image that I need for which there isn't a public domain source, like some of the Peanuts images that I have carved for LTCs, I will go for the images from original copyright holder. I consider this like the "fan fiction" fair use. This is as opposed to some other fan art, like at deviant art. I figure that the original can take some fan art, but it would matter more to another fan who has made an image.

Which is very similar to why stamp carvers (unless otherwise stated) also would not want their images shared on the Internet.
Reply to: #979030 by coldsnap
Sep 2, 2019 2:01pm
Thread

From your other post:
And sometimes people can disagree.

Be baffled. Share your :::own::: images on any social media you choose and with whomever you choose. Go for it. Continue to disagree with that part of the code of conduct. No one is saying you can't disagree.

But if you want to peacefully and respectfully co-exist within the confines of a community you should respect the wishes of others in that community. And most others wish that you do not publish their images without their permission. It's a simple concept.
Reply to: #979088 by MissMoon
Sep 2, 2019 3:20pm
Thread
To be clear... somebody added aggressively going after Carvers as though I suggested that was the case... nope, it wasn't.
However the clearly stated request that folks refrain from publishing others images in the Code of Conduct also means the vast majority of images are not all over facebook. As code gets better at image matching and more boxes get splashed up on facebook the likelyhood that somebody gets in more trouble than they bargained for increases. If nobody publishes pictures publically the risk is almost none, if folks choose to assume increased risk they can consent to others publishing pictures (maybe note it in the clue, or respond to request when the box is logged), if you publish art without consent you are forcing the Carver to assume more risk (maybe a tiny bit more- but still more) than the Code of Contact requires of them.

Not naming names, but some folks skate right up to the line of legally acceptable carves, and it's not a good idea to publish pictures of peoples being sketchy and or smutty with copy-righted icons on the internet.

Just get carvers the permission, it's not hard, your logging the box anyway.
Reply to: #979074 by Oberon_Kenobi
Sep 2, 2019 7:54pm
Thread
And you should watch this video: this .

=)

KuKu
Reply to: #979098 by KuKu
Sep 3, 2019 1:27pm
Thread
Like, you got me again . . .
Reply to: #979085 by coldsnap
Sep 3, 2019 4:18pm
Thread
Right - my art, as you point out, extends past the physical rubber I carve. I put it on the internet. On the internet! I know all kinds of people will read it (well, hopefully...I like having my plants found!) but that they might look for it, and respond to it, in ways that I do not intend. Which includes seeing it in others' logbooks, skipping all those painstaking clues I put down. It happens!

coldsnap, you're talking about sharing pictures of your own carved images, right? Personally, I don't have a problem with that. I've done it myself a few times, when I want to show folks some LTCs I've made. It helps my non-letterboxing FB friends understand what I mean when I tell them that I'm making LTCs, and I'm always hoping that doing this will recruit new people! :^)
Reply to: #979113 by Rocklun
Sep 3, 2019 4:32pm
Thread
coldsnap. you're talking about sharing picture of your own carved images, right?

Actually, no...

'coldsnap' said.....
I'm a carver and like planting. I don't mind. I know that I like showing non lb people the stamps that I find that are artistically interesting or excellent. I don't see the harm in sharing.

It's a long discussion. This person used the example that as a planter they would not mind their images being shared. So they don't understand why other people object.
Reply to: #979116 by MissMoon
Sep 3, 2019 4:40pm
Thread
Actually, no...

'coldsnap' said.....

I know that I like showing non lb people the stamps that I find that are artistically interesting or excellent. I don't see the harm in sharing.

I interpreted that as showing non-boxers in person images of the stamps she found that she really likes, but you're right that she didn't say that specifically. It's never good to ASSume, yet I do that often...
Sep 3, 2019 10:10pm
Thread
Never look up #letterboxing on Instagram. You’ll all have heart attacks lol

Personally, I don’t care if my images are shown off. I work really hard on my stamps and boxes and I sometimes wonder whether or not I want to risk even putting certain stamps out there to potentially end up missing...so in a hobby where many pieces of art that are made are lost or stolen or disposed of by others, I think it’s cool to show it off to others. But that’s with my own stamps.

I know we are all individuals with differing opinions. Opinions and wishes won’t stop people from sharing images, that hashtag above is never going to not show off the images of others...but we can all do our best to respect one another.
Reply to: #979146 by The Lost Boys
Sep 4, 2019 7:36am
Thread
I've just found another couple rubber stamp carvers to follow! In case anyone is interested, they don't letterbox but they are lino artists on Instagram and they do amazing stuff - viktoriaastrom, riseandwander, karyn_ritter_studio. They always inspire me to step up my game. (And I really want an etching press, except where would I put it??)
Noxer
Sep 27, 2019 5:51pm
Thread
My husband and my Greyhound are tag along noxers. Just wondering. If I get a Boxer breed, would he be a noxer Boxer?
Re: Noxer
Reply to: #979775 by Always On Call
Sep 27, 2019 7:01pm
Thread
And if you give him daily updates as to where you'll be going he'll be a Noxer Boxer with Briefs
Reply to: #979777 by shutterbug2012
Sep 27, 2019 7:03pm
Thread
Haaaaaa. Really made me laugh out loud
Reply to: #979775 by Always On Call
Sep 27, 2019 7:50pm
Thread
How many boxes could a noxer box if a noxer could nox box.
Reply to: #979780 by DarkZen and Evil Cow Pie
Sep 27, 2019 9:16pm
Thread
How many boxes could a noxer box if a noxer could nox box.

Probably more if AQ hadn't been down so much in the past week or two. =)

-- Ryan