Skip to Content
Register · Login
About Theme

A Letterboxing Community

Search Edit Search

Read Board: Repeat Questions - Say That Again?

Re: Is there a way to block someone from seeing your letterboxes
Board: Repeat Questions - Say That Again?
Reply to: #959280 by MamaZuke
Apr 19, 2018 1:17pm
Thread
Virtual sympathy heading your way!

We recently experienced this with a couple of our boxes but the good news is the offender doesn't live here. Vacation is over, they went home and so we are safe for another year...

But then the rest of the year we have excited kids, inexperienced newbies and the occasional pantomath spreading and sharing their brand of wisdom.

We just extend some grace and shrug it off. It also helps to tell ourselves it could just as easily been a fire or a hurricane to take out our stamps

But I understand the frustration, more than once I have taken to the boards to vent (and afterwards felt so much better)!
Who knows, maybe the offender will change their ways after recognizing themselves on an AQ message board....

Three Flamigos
Apr 19, 2018 1:46pm
Thread
Maybe that is something Ryan should look into. Ryan could delete them, but they could just make a new account unless he logged it with the associated email address. Same could happen if you could block them. Hmmmm?
Apr 19, 2018 3:45pm
Thread
This person also has a nasty reputation of telling (possibly posting their comments) that their clues are boring, their walk is boring etc.

I have my "public comments" set to moderate all comments (Preferences ->Letterboxes & Searches) so the comments on my boxes won't be seen unless I approve them.

Unfortunately, there is no good solution to sloppy (or rude) practices of a long time boxer. They are who they are. The best I can do is check my boxes soon after I get a find notice, or if my box is planted further away, have a network of boxing friends who can check (maintain) for me.
Reply to: #959288 by DarkZen and Evil Cow Pie
Apr 19, 2018 5:07pm
Thread
What does W O M mean?
Reply to: #959309 by MamaZuke
Apr 19, 2018 5:14pm
Thread
What does W O M mean?

Word Of Mouth
Reply to: #959302 by Three FLAmigo's
Apr 19, 2018 5:45pm
Thread
thanks for my new word, Pantomath
Reply to: #959304 by SpitFire
Apr 22, 2018 12:24pm
Thread
Maybe that is something Ryan should look into. Ryan could delete them

I don't think it's a good idea for me to start taking requests for people whose accounts that should be deleted. It's all fun when you get someone else's account deleted, but you'll find it less fun when someone who doesn't like you gets your account deleted.

I have no way of verifying reports of who-did-what-no-I-didn't-you-you-did-I-have-photos-you-have-photos-of-a-box-that-a-racoon-pushed-out-of-a-tree-whatever-yeah-well-I-hate-you-and-I'm-going-to-report-you-anyhow-and-I-can't-believe-you-deleted-my-account!-I'm-going-to-create-a-new-account-and-get-yours-deleted-so-ha!

Sometimes, you have to work problems out on your own. Restrict your boxes if it makes you feel better, or have a plan to check up on a box soon after someone you suspect is a problem will look for your box, or whatever. Set up a camera to see what they do (and maybe have evidence of their crimes).

Unless someone is deliberately vandalizing boxes, threatening to, or posting photos of their crimes, there's not much I can do about it. I'm not going to start deleting or freezing accounts because some people are accusing someone else of being a "bad" letterboxer.

You'll get my sympathies, but accusations by themselves are useless.

-- Ryan
Reply to: #959307 by JampersandJ
Apr 22, 2018 1:14pm
Thread
This person also has a nasty reputation of telling (possibly posting their comments) that their clues are boring, their walk is boring etc.

I have my "public comments" set to moderate all comments (Preferences ->Letterboxes & Searches) so the comments on my boxes won't be seen unless I approve them.

Why not leave the negative comments up, as long as there are no spoilers? In many cases, negative comments are a reflection on the finder, not the box. If you remove their comments, no one can see how negative that person is.
Reply to: #959392 by Trailhead Tessie
Apr 22, 2018 7:58pm
Thread
I’ve never had a public “negative comment” on any of my boxes, but the moderation feature is really great to prevent clue hints/spoilers.

I suppose if I did get a “negative comment”, I would get rid of it for my own well being and continued enjoyment of the hobby.
Cootie
Jul 31, 2018 1:47pm
Thread
I am sure this has been asked ad-nausium, however it is NEW to me.
I understand one sneaks one onto someone, but does it get logged as found?
Do I list it on atlasquest?
Do I give it a name?
Help please
Re: Cootie
Reply to: #963241 by KatieKat
Jul 31, 2018 2:11pm
Thread
I think it's dependent on the information pertaining to the cootie - sometimes people include info with it, for example, I've written info on the clothespin that my stamp was attached to. However, I've also gotten cooties that have no information what-so-ever, so logging it becomes more of a problem.

If you have a prime membership, you can list it on AQ as a find even if it is not listed as a box. I've heard mixed feelings on listing a stamp that someone else has planted or released into the wild. I think that might be left to your discretion. However, I just received a HH from a hostel that has no description, no carver name, no log book, no anything and I will be listing it because I believe it's meant to still exist in the world. That's just me though. Same thing with the name.

People may now disagree with me. And go.
Reply to: #963241 by KatieKat
Jul 31, 2018 2:51pm
Thread
The last event I attended had several cooties. They were all listed on Atlas Quest. I stamped them into my logbook with the info on them (name or box number) then cootied someone else (mostly the kids that were enjoying them). I did log the ones I got after the event.
Reply to: #963247 by tigerlilly
Jul 31, 2018 2:59pm
Thread
I've heard mixed feelings on listing a stamp that someone else has planted or released into the wild. I think that might be left to your discretion.

No, it isn't.

NEVER list a stamp that isn't your own (without permission). If someone CHOSE to release it without listing it, that is THEIR CHOICE. It is NOT up to you to override that. Period.

Now, that is NOT to be confused with "logging unlisted finds"... which is perfectly acceptable, and can be done as a Premium Perk or on a Hat Day. But to list someone else's box/HH/cootie/flea is strictly a no-no. Listings that are made without a planter's permission will be deleted by an admin if found.

I'm sorry if this is coming off as harsh, but you have NO IDEA the amount of grief we get here at AQ Headquarters over stuff like this, from irate boxers...
Reply to: #963252 by wassamatta u
Jul 31, 2018 3:10pm
Thread
Also, this is Item #1 in the Code Of Conduct/Respect:
Do not publish clues or stamp images that are not your own unless you have the owner's permission.

So it isn't just me being a curmudgeon. Curmudgeonosity is just a bonus.
Jul 31, 2018 3:18pm
Thread
I'm sorry,but Some of this Message is a Bit Confusing!..... I'll ask one question,then I'll wait a bit and C if I understand more......JCross....Y would anyone Not list a box?.....
Jul 31, 2018 3:20pm
Thread
??????Un- listed finds?......and what is Hat day?
Reply to: #963255 by Cross Family
Jul 31, 2018 4:02pm
Thread
Cross Family,

There are letterboxes that others have planted which are listed on other websites or the clues are WORD OF MOUTH (WOM). That means they are only given out from the planter of the box to people of their choosing. These letterboxes CANNOT be listed by someone other than the person who hid the letterbox. That box and those clues belong to them. It's not another letterboxer's right to share those clues on this website.

An unlisted find is listing a find of a letterbox where the clues are on another website but not listed on AtlasQuest. There are several letterboxes listed on letterboxing.org which are not on AtlasQuest. Those letterboxes can be listed as "found" on AtlasQuest, but only if you have a premium membership. For those who do not have a premium membership, there are a few times a year where the theme on AtlasQuest is HATS. That's a "free day" to list those finds that aren't listed on AtlasQuest. It's done the same way, under RECORD FINDS, but you would have to type in the name of the letterbox.

I hope that helps a bit.
Reply to: #963247 by tigerlilly
Jul 31, 2018 4:34pm
Thread
Maybe someone before you lost the HH's logbook. It's possible. But logging it as a find, either as a premium member or on hat day, using some designation that makes sense to you sounds okay. Maybe you could put a new logbook with it, just so finders in the future can see where the HH been, at least since you found it.

Same thing with the cootie with no information. Maybe the logbook was lost, or perhaps the person who carved the cootie doesn't want or need to track its progress out in the wide world; it was released into the wild purely for the enjoyment of the finder/finders. It would be a wild, carefree thing to do, the joy being in the carve and the release, not in the satisfaction of watching its travels and seeing where all it goes.
What is a P F count?
Dec 16, 2018 4:04pm
Thread
What is a P F count, what are they for? Thank you.
Re: What is a P F count?
Reply to: #969456 by teamroadrunner
Dec 16, 2018 4:12pm
Thread
P is how many letterboxes you’ve planted.
F is how many letterboxes you’ve found.
And if you come across X, that’s how many people you’ve exchanged signature stamps with.

Some people on AtlasQuest choose not to make their clues available to people who fall below a certain number of plants and/or finds.
Re: What is a P F count?
Reply to: #969456 by teamroadrunner
Dec 16, 2018 10:35pm
Thread
P is plants and F is finds. these restrictions are used when a box is in an exposed area and sometimes state parks or other places that you maybe shouldn't be planting but cant resist due to a feature that grabs you.
Micro carving tools?
Dec 16, 2018 10:41pm
Thread
I know they don't sell these mainstream anymore, but I remember buying one from someone in the letter-boxing community a few years ago.

Does anyone have contact information of where my friend can buy one?
Re: Micro carving tools?
Reply to: #969468 by ECCENTRIC SUTTONS
Dec 17, 2018 1:07am
Thread
You can check with KnottyKnitterDirtMonkey or Kirbert who have modified gouges in the past. www.stampeaz.com used to sell minitiarized Staedtlers but they are no longer available.
Re: Micro carving tools?
Reply to: #969468 by ECCENTRIC SUTTONS
Dec 17, 2018 7:55pm
Thread
Thank you, KnottyKnitterDirtyMonkey have what I was looking for. A carving nibb smaller than the standard #1. They might even be who I originally got mine from.

Thank you so much Roo
Disney boxes
Jan 24, 2019 12:15pm
Thread
I'm not sure if this was asked before but are there any letter boxes hidden in or around walt disney world?
Thanks
Re: Disney boxes
Reply to: #970645 by Fabuliz
Jan 24, 2019 12:22pm
Thread
No.
Reply to: #970646 by SherlockMiles
Jan 24, 2019 12:31pm
Thread
Well there are some in Kissimmee and surrounding areas ... just read the comments before going for them. We did some back in April and one of them had a homeless camp at it.
Reply to: #970645 by Fabuliz
Jan 24, 2019 12:36pm
Thread
Nope. Sorry! Disney has a very active and assertive legal team...
https://www.atlasquest.com/about/wiki/question.php?wikiId=565
Reply to: #970647 by Basset Mom
Jan 24, 2019 1:20pm
Thread
one of them had a homeless camp at it.

Not only a homeless camp but the property is posted as private property now. We didn't see the private property signs until we were going back to our car, it was laying in the ground, so I mentioned it in my comments when I logged my find and the owner did not approve the comment.
Reply to: #970648 by wassamatta u
Jan 24, 2019 8:04pm
Thread
Disney has a very active and assertive legal team...

Actually, it was only their security team that talked to me. They preferred to leave "legal" out of it if it wasn't necessary. Which I preferred too. *nodding* =)

-- Ryan