Search Edit

Read Board: New Members' Board

Re: First Time
Board: New Members' Board
Reply to: #983012 by Crystalline Owl
Jan 30, 2020 7:01pm
Thread
Welcome to the fun!

I agreed that you might enjoy finding some boxes before you hide one. If there are boxes in you area, have fun exploring, following clues, seeing how others hide boxes. It will give you some experience and hopefully some smiles!
Jan 30, 2020 7:05pm
Thread
Welcome. Check if there is an event near you so you can meet other local boxers.
Happy Trails
Jan 30, 2020 7:34pm
Thread
Welcome to the fun!
I was a “boxer” before I became a member and had an actual trail name. How did you learn about this awesome secret hobby? 😁
Jan 30, 2020 8:09pm
Thread
Welcome to the your new underground obsession!

Let me join the list of folks who will (politely) suggest you find several letterboxes before you hide one. Knowing what works (and I would argue more importantly, what DOESN'T work) when creating and hiding a box will go a long way towards making your first effort one that will last a long time.

For years (back when I was boxing constantly) I made it a point that when a new box popped up locally (which really meant within 100 miles in those days) that was that person's first plant, I would seek it out within a few days. As a result, I am not just the first, but ONLY finder on dozens of boxes. Sadly, I've seen probably over a hundred first plants by brand new boxers that didn't last even a few weeks. I was finding boxes for six months before I planted my first, and it lasted over 10 years.

K
Jan 30, 2020 10:58pm
Thread
Another big welcome heading your way from the southwest. This hobby can easily become an obsession, leading you to unimaginable places and people. I too agree with all the posted comments to find before planting. I got a copy of The Letterboxers Companion and read it from cover to cover. I followed the suggestion of finding 100 boxes before planting any. You will learn a lot about placement, containers, clues vs directions, and so much more. Most of all remember that this is a fun hobby and enjoy it.
Jan 31, 2020 7:02am
Thread
Welcome to letterboxing.

Please explore the site, read the tutorials, check out the glossary and help sections. Please read the code of conduct. On the surface it's a simple hobby but there are practices that you need to be familiar with.

I will also add the suggestion that you please go out letterboxing and find a number of different kinds of boxes and see what goes into creating and hiding, see what makes an interesting and fun find for other boxers.
Jan 31, 2020 8:32am
Thread
I was the first to reply to your posting. You did get a few replies that also suggested that you find a few boxes before you plant any. Since the default is to not show where you are located I don't know if you are in a letterboxing desert.

Most of my first logbooks are simply 3"×2½" (3"×5" cards cut in half) pages, punched with two holes then held together with a ribbon. Now days I make a logbook with a saddle stitch. There are other techniques, so find some boxes and try binding some logbooks to see what you like to make. I have even found some accordion fold logbooks.

And I really like your trail name. Since I don't know where you are, I hope that you come by my area some time so that I can see your personal stamp.
Jan 31, 2020 11:28am
Thread
Howdy and Welcome! This is just one great community! Have fun on the trail!
First Time
Reply to: #983013 by Oberon_Kenobi
Jan 31, 2020 12:35pm
Thread
Hey everyone! Thanks so much for the advice! I have planted some books for the game Book Scavenger, so I have a bit of background knowledge about hiding things. ;) I will try to find some letterboxes before I plant anything, if I get the chance.

P.S. If any of you haven't heard of Book Scavenger, you should check it out. It's a game similar to Letterboxing, but instead, you hide books and go searching for them.
Reply to: #983043 by Crystalline Owl
Jan 31, 2020 1:11pm
Thread
We hide letterboxes IN books too! 😉

Have fun.
Jan 31, 2020 1:17pm
Thread
Do you mind sharing where you live? Maybe you can find a letterboxing buddy nearby. It might be nice to meet a new friend and have someone with whom to go exploring. 😊
Jan 31, 2020 1:22pm
Thread
P.S. If any of you haven't heard of Book Scavenger, you should check it out. It's a game similar to Letterboxing, but instead, you hide books and go searching for them.

This seems to be just children's and young adult books?

Some books are not small. What do you put them in to protect them from the elements? I see one in a picture that looks like it's just in a plastic bag?
Tips?
Feb 25, 2020 1:31pm
Thread
Does anyone have any tips for a new letter-boxer? I don't know much and I just started. Any help is appreciated!
Re: Tips?
Reply to: #983854 by Crimson_Cecilia
Feb 25, 2020 1:39pm
Thread
You'll learn tips and tricks along the way. The first thing to do is just print some clues, get a good logbook (preferably blank pages, not with lines), and a signature stamp (can be bought from an art supplies store to start out, you can always upgrade to a handcarved signature stamp later), and GO!

Also, if you click on "People" at the top, then "Events", you might find an event in your area coming up that you can attend, meet a few others, and get completely addicted to a new favorite hobby! ;)

Happy Hunting!
Feb 25, 2020 1:41pm
Thread
Hi and welcome! Where are you from? People from your area could give you a good idea of which boxes to check out.

My best tip is to make sure that after you have rehidden a letterbox, make sure it can't be seen from various angles so that a muggle doesn't stumble across it.

TG
Reply to: #983856 by Trekkie Gal
Feb 25, 2020 1:42pm
Thread
Also, be sure to check out the help section and the glossary.

TG
Feb 25, 2020 1:50pm
Thread
Begin by finding letterboxes. Planting should happen after you've found several letterboxes in order to know how to write clues, what types of plants work best, and so forth. Do you have a friend who might like to go along with you? It would be a great activity to do with a buddy.

Finding boxes also gives you an avenue to communicate with the planters and possibly get to know them through your finds.

I would definitely read the links suggested, but also get out and find some boxes. At that point, you may have more questions and the letterboxing community will be happy to help.
Feb 25, 2020 2:18pm
Thread
Maybe you could come up with a Awesome trail name.....something that will stand out!
Feb 25, 2020 2:23pm
Thread
Also read Atlasquest glossary ,toolbox ,Past post s .. Review review. Especially Anything that stands out fir beginners....there is so much to learn.......
Feb 25, 2020 2:50pm
Thread
https://www.atlasquest.com/about/

https://www.atlasquest.com/tutorials/

Have fun with it!

Find boxes and see how they are made and planted before you plant any.

https://www.atlasquest.com/boxes/simplesearch/
Feb 25, 2020 2:54pm
Thread
Welcome to the fun!
We use a lot of Marvy or Tombow brush tip markers and black ink pads up here in New England. Not sure where you will be “boxing”, but if your anywhere near us, there’s some wick great places to hike and explore. Only down fall right now is: SNOW. Yuck. *giggle*.
Thick paged small sketch books are great for a personal logbook too.
Happy seeking! 😁
Reply to: #983859 by Cross Family
Feb 25, 2020 4:30pm
Thread
Crimson_Cecilia
I like your trail name.
If you wore a deep red blindfold I'd know it was you.

(don't get it? google)
Feb 25, 2020 5:13pm
Thread
From the Code of Conduct, which is found under the Home section in the Toolbar across the top of the page, I recommend paying attention to the Respect passages: https://www.atlasquest.com/about/rules/respect.php
Reply to: #983856 by Trekkie Gal
Feb 26, 2020 7:07am
Thread
I am actually from Arizona. I know a few good places to try hiding, but I wanna find one before I hide.
Reply to: #983863 by Grrly Girl
Feb 26, 2020 9:01am
Thread
If you wore a deep red blindfold I'd know it was you.

Yeah, she’d be the one who had wandered off trail and tripped over the cactus :)
Feb 26, 2020 9:07am
Thread
There are events in Tucson coming up that are lots of fun. They'd love to see someone new.
https://www.atlasquest.com/showinfo.php?eventId=4277
https://www.atlasquest.com/showinfo.php?eventId=4270
Feb 26, 2020 9:38am
Thread
I'm also relatively new! From my limited experience:

--Go to an event, you will meet people who will answer all your questions or point you in interesting directions. Also you will collect tons of stamps, and make lots of friends.

--Definitely try and find a bunch of boxes before attempting to plant your own. It's good to see what works and what doesn't.

--I try to find areas with lots of plants (ie, high density), or I try to find the boxes that have been "box of the week", "voted best" or "planter's choice."

--Get out there, find boxes and have fun! The best part is interacting with the community, so log your finds on AQ or LBNA (letterboxing north america) or both.
Reply to: #983885 by Crimson_Cecilia
Feb 26, 2020 11:22am
Thread
I know a few good places to try hiding, but I wanna find one before I hide.

The general recommendation is to find at least 10 before you plant one yourself. But obviously, that's up to you.

Here is the Arizona board if you'd like to introduce yourself over there.

TG
Reply to: #983885 by Crimson_Cecilia
Feb 26, 2020 11:32am
Thread
I know a few good places to try hiding, but I wanna find one before I hide.

I would recommend finding quite a few before you decide to start planting. You'll learn a lot by paying attention to how different people plant.

You'll see different styles of planting (urban/rural, drive-bys/hikes, lock-n-locks/planters pouches, large containers/micro containers, behind bushes/in trees/under rocks, etc etc)

You'll also see different ways to write clues (easy and simple "go here, then turn here", more cryptic "find the place where you...", in a different language, picture clues, or a puzzle to solve)

The idea is to have the box last for as long as possible, so planting a box in a very public place is always a risk. Landmarks and sightseeing locations are always nice. Sometimes the fun lies more in the hunt than the actual box.

Have fun with it, be creative, and don't rush into planting too quick.
(I did, and most of my first plants were quickly stolen/destroyed)
Reply to: #983893 by Trekkie Gal
Feb 26, 2020 12:16pm
Thread
Thank you!