A Letterboxing Community

Search Edit Search

Read Board: New Members' Board

Re: Postal Questions
Board: New Members' Board
Reply to: #972749 by JampersandJ
Mar 16, 2019 7:43am
Thread
In fact, I know of a few people who have PO Boxes because their home delivery isn’t as good, reliable, or secure.

Our home delivery is reasonable secure but we also have a PO Box for stuff we really care about (credit cards, etc). We used to have our Atlas Quest stuff delivered there and never had s problem.
Re: SPOR
Reply to: #977438 by Kamera Kid
Jul 18, 2019 6:20pm
Thread
suspicious pile of rocks :)
Jul 18, 2019 6:37pm
Thread
Check out the home page for Atlasquest - there's a wealth of information that's useful and essential to get your letterboxing experience off on the right foot. You can also find a glossary for most any term you come across:
https://www.atlasquest.com/about/glossary/
Jul 18, 2019 6:42pm
Thread
What does SPOR stand for?

But keep in mind this sage advice from Kelsung.
Jul 19, 2019 6:52am
Thread
I learned it as Suspiciously Placed Object or Rock. It covers more options.
Reply to: #977456 by Guinea Pigs
Jul 19, 2019 7:37am
Thread
I learned it as Suspiciously Placed Object or Rock. It covers more options.

Find a way to add that to the glossary. I would, but I don't see an edit button.

S.P.O.S (suspicious pile of sticks) should be added to S.P.O.C. and S.P.O.P. listed there.
Reply to: #977458 by Oberon_Kenobi
Jul 19, 2019 4:18pm
Thread
Find a way to add that to the glossary. I would, but I don't see an edit button.

Only admin can edit the glossary.
Reply to: #977479 by MissMoon
Jul 20, 2019 9:08am
Thread
I have also noticed that S.P.O.R. is listed in the master glossary list (the part with just the index but no definitions) but the others aren't. Why not? Is an admin willing to share?
Reply to: #977508 by Oberon_Kenobi
Jul 20, 2019 12:02pm
Thread
Why not? Is an admin willing to share?

(Looking around furtively)
Shhhh... According to The Admin's Secret Handbook of Operations, I shouldn't say anything, but...

Do you perhaps see a pattern in what is not include in both? Maybe if one were to, I don't know, write them out and rearrange things a bit... Well, you get THE CLUE...
Shhhh.....

That ought to keep him busy for a while.
Jul 20, 2019 1:55pm
Thread
I keep misreading as SPQR 🤣
Reply to: #977523 by coldsnap
Jul 20, 2019 2:23pm
Thread
I keep misreading as SPQR 🤣

It is pronounced spork.
Newish to letterboxing
Jul 23, 2019 7:24am
Thread
Hi everyone,
Still trying to figure out the message boards so I figured I’d just put a message out there and see what happens 😊.
I’m newish to letterboxing. I used to go on hikes with my mom and found the stamps but never got onto the Atlas Quest and create a trail name to log them in. However, I have done so now and my mom and I are hitting the trails once again and having lots of fun. We haven’t been home for a single day yet in about 2 weeks outside of weekends. Found my first HH last week, that was exciting.
Learning a lot more about this “new” hobby and absolutely loving it. If anyone has any pointers they’d like to share, I’m all ears.

P.s. If I find my old log book with all my stamps from years ago, can I log them in or should I just do the trips all over again?
Re: Newish to letterboxing
Reply to: #977620 by Damselfly
Jul 23, 2019 7:28am
Thread
Absolutely log in those old finds if you locate your book! How fun for the planter to receive a find notice with a date several years old.

And welcome back to the hobby. I love it that you are doing this with your mom and getting out there. It's a wonderful hobby in so many ways.
Reply to: #977620 by Damselfly
Jul 23, 2019 8:10am
Thread
If I find my old log book with all my stamps from years ago, can I log them in

Definitely log them in. Because some may have gone missing or been retired since you found them, consider including a note to the planter about your “catch-up” logging, to avoid confusion about the status of their older boxes.
Reply to: #977622 by Angel Winks
Jul 23, 2019 8:29am
Thread
Awesome! Thank you for letting me know. I will for sure have to find my book now 😁.
We have really enjoyed doing it together again and I’m even bringing my kids along and they are loving all the stamps and the walks. Bugs have been crazy this year too. I try to fit all of our stamps onto one page on the log books. If anyone doesn’t want me to put their stamps in I will stop and only put mine.
Reply to: #977631 by Damselfly
Jul 23, 2019 11:09am
Thread
Put their stamps in.

Occasionally I come across a box that my daughter stamped in, and it is a joy.
Reply to: #977640 by Sheba
Jul 23, 2019 11:15am
Thread
Occasionally I come across a box that my daughter stamped in, and it is a joy.

Oh man. You're gonna make me cry.
Reply to: #977640 by Sheba
Jul 23, 2019 7:00pm
Thread
Wonderful! They have been having such fun finding them. Just didn’t want people to get upset.
Reply to: #977631 by Damselfly
Jul 23, 2019 7:21pm
Thread
I try to fit all of our stamps onto one page on the log books.

You could always carve one stamp that covers everyone. Then you have only one stamp image to make.
Reply to: #977659 by Damselfly
Jul 23, 2019 10:14pm
Thread
They should all stamp in if they want to. It’s part of the fun!! :)
Reply to: #977659 by Damselfly
Jul 24, 2019 5:39am
Thread
My two insisted on having their own stamps and stamping in. Now, they're not as into it, but if I don't stamp my son's, he gets a little upset - even though he wasn't happy about going in the first place....

Go have fun and stamp away!
Reply to: #977667 by Origami Hen
Jul 24, 2019 9:22am
Thread
They should all stamp in if they want to. It’s part of the fun!! :)

Some logbooks are very small and having a whole group of people stamp in on several pages is not such a good idea.
Reply to: #977682 by MissMoon
Jul 24, 2019 3:51pm
Thread
Some logbooks are very small and having a whole group of people stamp in on several pages is not such a good idea.

True, which is why they all squish on one page. I even share mine. ;)

Grammy TCP
Introduction
Aug 2, 2019 7:21am
Thread
Hi- We are extremely new- I stumbled across this activity when it was mentioned in a blogpost about summer activities for older kids.

We have found one stamp and hunted for 2 others.

We are in upstate NY. Family of 6.

Just wanted to say, “Hello”
Re: Introduction
Reply to: #977939 by Ste!nke.6
Aug 2, 2019 7:27am
Thread
Hi! I started letterboxing because my daughter took a summer camp based on it. They taught them how to carve stamps and make books, and took them out looking for several boxes. She enjoyed it for a summer or two and now I'm on my own, haha. But with lots of kids, you'll likely always have someone interested in going letterboxing! Sounds fun. Welcome!
Reply to: #977940 by Guinea Pigs
Aug 2, 2019 7:32am
Thread
A Summer Camp Class/Activity sounds awesome. I hope the kids stay into it for a little bit- trying to get them off the gaming console 🤦🏽‍♀️

Thank you for the welcome!
Aug 2, 2019 7:45am
Thread
Welcome! I got started about 8 years ago when I read an article on it in a parenting magazine. My son still loves it at almost 11. I even got my husband in to it! Enjoy!
Aug 2, 2019 8:05am
Thread
Welcome to letterboxing. It's a wonderful hobby, either as a group or alone.

You may also want to connect with other New Yorkers on the New York board. When I first started letterboxing, many others from Michigan gave me excellent guidance along the way.

New York Board
Aug 2, 2019 3:31pm
Thread
Welcome to boxing.

Please check out the tutorials, glossary, look around the site and learn about our very old and loved hobby. It's been around for a very long time and there is a lot to learn.

MM
Aug 3, 2019 11:38am
Thread
Welcome!! We've been boxing for 11 years, although most of my boxing is LTCs and Postals these days!
Enjoy and ask any questions you may have!