Search Edit Search

Read Board: New Members' Board

Re: Way to tag letterboxes?
Board: New Members' Board
Reply to: #858230 by Grrly Girl
Jul 15, 2014 4:26am
Thread
Hi mitchellFamily, and welcome.

Once you've tagged some boxes you can name your tags by clicking on Preferences in the My Page tab dropdown, then on Letterboxes to:
"Set your letterbox preferences—name your tags, set up default searches, and display options for clues".

If I'm planning a trip, I'll tag the boxes I want to try to find and name the color tag with the place we're going. If I print clues I tag the boxes green to remind me not to print them again. I use another tag for mystery letterboxes that I want to solve. Once it's solved I remove the tag.

If you run out of tags you can use two colors and then run an advanced search and save the search with a name describing the meaning of the two colors. But like Grrly Girl, said being a premium member and having more stars (8 colors instead of 4) is nice.
Re: Way to tag letterboxes?
Reply to: #858230 by Grrly Girl
Jul 15, 2014 7:16am
Thread
Cool! Thanks for the info. I also happened to LOOK at the bottom of the search results and actually saw a Tag functionality. Will have to play around with it.
Taking the little guy home
Jul 17, 2014 10:05am
Thread
Today we located a plant we'd searched for a few days ago. Found out in the open, heavily water & dirt damaged-pad drowned, as well as the ink pad. Guess the stamp will dry out ok. Is it ok to replace with fresh pad and container if we get no email response from planters in a timely manner? We've replaced ziplocks, paper towels while on the hunt in the past. Want to play by the rules...
Re: Taking the little guy home
Reply to: #858724 by Under the Rug
Jul 17, 2014 10:14am
Thread
That would be sweet. I think replacing the stamp pad is a bit much to ask, actually, as most of us carry our own and there's an expense factor. In other words, it's not standard to include those. Logbooks and baggies are routinely replaced by kind finders, but I'd have to really love the stamp or the stamp's owners to give up a lock n lock or replace the container. All the maintenance you do is a favor, not an obligation. If it's an abandoned box and the owners are long gone, you can adopt it on LbNA, but not AQ. If that were the case, I'd treat it like it were my own plant and use a good container, etc. and then maintain it as well. Adopting boxes where the original owners cannot be contacted is controversial, but maintenance is usually appreciated by future finders and far-away owners especially.
Reply to: #858728 by Wry Me
Jul 17, 2014 10:24am
Thread
I agree. If I don't get a response, I don't go all-out unless I think the box is exceptionally special.. Lock n Lock containers get expensive if you start replacing torn pouches and cheap tupperware that people don't even respond about.. I also would not replace the stamp pad. Just a new baggie and a clean-up/dry out is nice. Often, people stop letterboxing, and boxes aren't meant to last forever.
Reply to: #858735 by FloridaFour
Jul 17, 2014 5:45pm
Thread
Some boxers can get very picky about others doing maintenance on their boxes; but, many appreciate the helping hand. I have had people pull my boxes entirely , take them home to dry out and then replace them once dry. Personally, I have really appreciated such extreme measures to help keep a box in play for others to find. I put a message in my AQ profile indicating that I appreciate it when finders help with maintenance so they won't have to worry about possibly offending me as the planter if they wish to help out. I guess sometimes you just have to make your best judgement call. It helps if you get to know the local boxers too and get a feel for what they would be ok with.
First find.
Jul 26, 2014 8:11am
Thread
Getting ready to plant my first box noticed that others indicate there is something special for the first finder do you know what it?
Re: First find.
Reply to: #860181 by Puppy Lovez
Jul 26, 2014 8:31am
Thread
I've never been first finder myself, but I think it's up to you. Some people leave a certificate or trinket that have to do with the stamp. I've never left a first finder prize so far, but I've been pondering the idea of making up glass baubles magnets using the image of the stamp I carved for the letterbox.
Jul 26, 2014 8:44am
Thread
You can leave anything you want, or nothing. Both are done around here for first-finders. I always leave an LTC or hitchhiker for the first-finder, but not in bonus boxes. It's all up to you.
Jul 26, 2014 9:21am
Thread
I enjoy leaving a small something, but it's hard to come up with good ideas that don't cost much. I try to do something different for each box/series.
Jul 26, 2014 9:33am
Thread
I've used things from certificates, LTCs, patches, special stamps, hitchhikers, gift certificates, and once I even made a Premium Membership to AQ for one year as a FF Prize.

The best prize is a one-hundred dollar bill planted in a box here in Virginia Beach. I can guarantee I will be first finder and very appreciative.
Jul 26, 2014 11:08am
Thread
Thanks for your thoughts I am doing a theme of gods and goddesses, I plan on making both a series and hitchhikers so I will probably leave a hitchhiker with it. Hope to find some of your stamps some day, have fun letterboxing!
Reply to: #860183 by Leereads
Jul 26, 2014 11:54am
Thread
Love that idea
Jul 26, 2014 11:57am
Thread
I just did a postal that has to do with writting in a book, so I left a bookmark that I had made for the first participant.
Jul 26, 2014 12:54pm
Thread
I don't always leave one. But, I have left whistles. I keep one when hiking. Easier to blow a whistle then yelling...if needed.
Reply to: #860216 by Early Risers
Jul 26, 2014 1:28pm
Thread
Am figuring that I might as well stop doing it myself

No! Say it ain't so! Don't follow the leaders - to the land of boring boxes.

My granddaughter got a FF certificate last year and she still talks about it. She loves it! She remembers this box location, the image, and especially the certificate. That one letterbox is extra special to her because of the FF certificate. And if I mention the box owner's trailname she instantly remembers the whole experience. This was not one of the many "normal" boxes she found.
Reply to: #860216 by Early Risers
Jul 26, 2014 5:36pm
Thread
Ya, don't follow what others do be the one that stands out, the one that people will remember in letterbox history, I know I exaterated a little on the last little part.
Reply to: #860310 by Early Risers
Jul 26, 2014 7:59pm
Thread
I was the FF of 3 boxes and I found a charm and 2 round beads. I was thinking of making a good luck charm for future Letterbox hunts. :)
Jul 26, 2014 11:14pm
Thread
I agree-not necessary, but sometimes fun to do. I planted a box in a restaurant owned by some of my friends and left a small gift card in the box for the restaurant (the first finders appreciated it). However, it can get pricey (if you are not careful). So, up to you! Have fun!
-PLP
Jul 27, 2014 2:11am
Thread
I planted a box once that was to do with Coats & Clark~~I put (5) small spools of tread, I thought it was very appropriate. Except, the first finder took all five spools :(
Reply to: #860334 by DeeCee
Jul 27, 2014 7:07am
Thread
Dang, maybe they were letterboxing with more than 5 people?
Jul 27, 2014 7:52am
Thread
I vote for a hitchhiker! Quick story...I typically go Letterboxing with my 10 year old daughter. We have been an "official" FF once. However, we were the fourth finders on a commemorative Girl Scout box that the previous 'seasoned' adult finders left the prize for an active GS to find. (I love CT) She shows this prize ( a laminated version of the stamp) to everyone. We've found other trinkets and have left them for kids just for this reason. As an adult, and the little one agrees, HHs are always the best finds!!
posting comments after finding boxes
Aug 1, 2014 8:52pm
Thread
I'm new to letterboxing and have really been enjoying it. But I'm a little confused about something. Why is it that sometimes when I post a comment after finding a box, I can see it as soon as I click on Record Find? It then shows that I have the option to delete the comment. Other times after I comment and click Record Find, it shows no comments. I understand that the owner of the box has the option to decide if it's posted publicly, I just don't understand why what I see immediately after recording the find differs from time to time.
Re: posting comments after finding boxes
Reply to: #861392 by Woodswoman
Aug 1, 2014 9:05pm
Thread
One can choose how their comments are shown. The choices available for publishing comments as listed in the preferences section are as follows:

Immediately publish all comments (you can delete them later if necessary)
Moderate all comments before publishing
Do not allow comments on my planted boxes

If a planter chooses immediately publish comments, then you would see them right away. Personally I choose to moderate all comments in case someone happens to mention spoilers. Once I read the AQ mail about the comment I approve then they will show up.

Sme folks do not allow public comments at all.
Lisa
Re: posting comments after finding boxes
Reply to: #861395 by idlemoon
Aug 2, 2014 4:33am
Thread
Thank you for answering my question so quickly and well! It was just confusing me. I haven't planted any boxes yet, so I hadn't seen that planters had that option. I've got a few stamps carved though, and hope to plant them soon.
Clues
Aug 3, 2014 7:17am
Thread
New to this wonderful pastime. Does everyone print out the clue before they forge in the woods? I have been handwriting cause my printer is not hooked to my computer and was wondering if there is any electronic gizmo I should have to assist me. Wondering about GPS since they use satillite since here there is no cell service.
Re: Clues
Reply to: #861551 by Pineapple Princess
Aug 3, 2014 7:25am
Thread
There are a couple of apps for boxing, but many of us still print clues. I have a stupid phone, not a smart one, so I use printed clues. People who use Box Radar (Android) and Box Finder (iPhone) will probably chime in to tell you about them.
Aug 3, 2014 7:36am
Thread
If you're going out in the 'woods' then you should print the clues, have a map of the trail(s), your phone, a compass, and a whistle. If you're going alone, tell someone where you went. All kidding aside...be safe.
Now, I've gone to the library to print out clues when my printer has fried or just call my girlfriend who also 'boxes' to print them for me. I do not live out in the middle of nowhere but I'm always prepared. Must be the Girl Scout in me!!! WELCOME, you're going to love this...it's addictive!
Aug 3, 2014 7:37am
Thread
Welcome to the hobby!!!

I definitely print clues. Some of the clues can get quite lengthy to write out. You can use a smart phone to look them up in the woods but you don't always have the best signal, plus what if your phone dies before you find your boxes! Mostly I use my phone if I'm stuck, I'll go read comments others have made. But really, I mostly rely on the print clues.
Aug 3, 2014 7:45am
Thread
I don't know about Box Finder, but if you use Box Radar, and you have a smart phone or android tablet, you can save your clue on there before you go. That way, even without a signal (out in the woods or in a remote town, I often lost signal), you can still use the app. I have also just looked up the clues on atlasquest, but that is a PAIN, again you would need a signa

Some people copy and paste the clues into other files and save them, so they use that instead. Lots of ways to go paper free. But quite honestly, I prefer to use paper for longer, more complex clues. Some clues are so tricky, you need to solve riddles or codes, first.