A Letterboxing Community

Search Edit Search

Read Board: BIA Addicts

Re: journal issues
Board: BIA Addicts
Reply to: #809651 by deniserows
Oct 10, 2013 10:58pm
Thread
Stick the dowel all the way thru and then pull with both hands on the ends of the dowel. Works best if the book is held tightly between your thighs while sitting.

Denise: thanks for confirming that even top-notch, first-rate, BIA logbook creators can have "issues" too.

~~Doublesaj~~
neo-phyte BIA user, but learning. . .
BIA Creation Exchange 2014
Nov 2, 2013 7:41am
Thread
I have posted a new BIA Creation Tracker for those of you that need a creative outlet over the winter months ahead. It is a fun exchange and we all get some great ideas from other people! I have noted in the instructions to make enough to send to everyone BUT yourself so this saves on postage. So if the max 12 people sign up, you would send 11. I did this last time and nobody complained about getting the wrong items. With a small number group, it's easier to keep track of it all.

So what can you make? Anything that you can send in the mail! Here is a post by scouttrekkie showing the fantastic exchanges we had last time! But don't be intimidated... this tracker is for ALL skill levels and is intended to help you stretch your creativity and just have fun!
Re: BIA Creation Exchange 2014
Reply to: #813629 by Dizzy
Nov 2, 2013 9:36am
Thread
Going thru the photos was fun and the memories were great. i'll get out my BIA right now. i have to make some logbooks for a raffle so i might as well make something for you guys. i'm thinking steampunk!

deniserows
gears
Nov 2, 2013 11:02am
Thread
I know I really got a lot of great ideas with my BIA from this tracker. Love all the many different ways of making fantastic booklets. And you can even use it to make the wall hooks too for hanging jewelry and whatnots.
Nov 2, 2013 5:29pm
Thread
Wow, already 8 people in this tracker! Last time was a ton of fun and I can't wait to see the creations this time! Someone did ask about postage... last time it all seemed to work out because of the various shapes and sizes of the creations. Some thicker, some thinner, some larger dimensions and some smaller. Boxes weren't a problem last time. Postage last time averaged $8-$10, if I recall (someone please correct me if your postage went over this). That was for 9 creations, so I would plan about $1 per participant. I have the tracker open for 12 (including myself) but will close it around the end of the year so people know how many creations to make.

I was also asked what happens if they send their items in a box but the return items are too big for their box? I will start saving boxes myself right now so if we need a different sized box, I should have something on hand.

Come play with us!
Reply to: #813654 by deniserows
Nov 2, 2013 5:46pm
Thread
Oooo, steampunk- my favorite!!
chip board
Dec 3, 2013 7:51am
Thread
I got my BIA and played around with it....oh my! the places I will go! :) so I am looking at buying some chip board for covers, specifically Grafix medium weight. Being a 'newbie' my concern is if it is too thick for the machine or am I headed in the right direction?

Thanks for any 'clues'
~C~
Re: chip board
Reply to: #818380 by Chunna
Dec 3, 2013 8:16am
Thread
Frankly, i never buy boards for the books. Maybe i should, but i'm a cheap Yankee. LOL. i cut up the boxes the envelopes for my husband's company come in, which seems to be about the right weight. Not corrugated cardboard, but not cereal box weight either. You want that middle weight stuff, which seems to work really well.

~tigs
Dec 3, 2013 8:29am
Thread
I get it free at work comes in boxes of clothing
Dec 3, 2013 8:42am
Thread
I got a bunch of cardboard sheets from Michael's for free and haven't needed to buy anything since. I went to the scrapbook paper isle and grabbed all the pieces from the empty slots and asked the manager if I could have them. I cover them with scrapbook paper and it fits just fine in the BIA. I have the pink one, which I think has a bigger opening than the original blue one does.
Dec 3, 2013 8:51am
Thread
I get mine frr from work as well - cardboard inserts from orderset cases and tags that are meant for retail display - which we remove - all make perfect weight covers : )
Dec 3, 2013 9:15am
Thread
When I lived in New Orleans, I went to the frame shop on the nearby military base and they gave me a huge box of matting scraps. They are perfect for covers. Maybe your local frame shop would give you their scraps?
Reply to: #818393 by Yumgirl
Dec 3, 2013 9:36am
Thread
Oooooo! Matting scraps! I never thought of that! and I have tons from the photos I mat for my son!

Thank You everyone for these wonderful (and cheap/free) suggestions :)

goodbye chip board! :D
~C~
Dec 3, 2013 12:24pm
Thread
There's not much that's too thick for the machine. I have a book put out by Zutter that even says you can punch the thin aluminum license plates (not the older ones made of steel though)! I actually have had great luck with buying a chipboard pack from Joann that has 3 different kinds in it. I looked online and couldn't find the pack I'm talking about but I bought my pack 2 years ago and I still see them there. If I recall, the full pack had 4 of the grayish thicker sheets, 4 of the thinner black sheets (but still much thicker than plain cardstock), and 4 of the thinner white sheets, all 12x12. The pack was $9.99 and I used my coupon. It was over in the papercrafting section and it seems to me our store keeps these packs by the Xyron stuff for some reason.
Reply to: #818388 by Raven
Dec 3, 2013 12:27pm
Thread
I went to the scrapbook paper isle and grabbed all the pieces from the empty slots and asked the manager if I could have them.

Oh I got some at Hobby Lobby the same way! Also, I wander through the aisles at Hobby Lobby looking for the hanging pattern sheets (usually a lot in the yarn section) because they are in pads and if a pad is out of the sheets, just rip that backing board right off and take it with you! These are usually only 5x7 and have a hole at the top but you can still use them!
Dec 3, 2013 2:13pm
Thread
I have trouble when I use the Zutter heavy weight chip board, which is made for the tool, and when I have already covered it with a paper covering. But I have the old blue BIA. Maybe the new one is thinner? I like to have my covers decorated before I punch, so I don't have to poke holes in the paper.

Anyway I find cereal boxes, liners for other packages, etc are good, especially after I cover them in heavy papers.
Reply to: #818436 by FloridaFour
Dec 5, 2013 4:15pm
Thread
I like to have my covers decorated before I punch, so I don't have to poke holes in the paper.

I always do them that way, and I make sure they're completely dry first. But I've never had a problem punching thru, have even used wood. The only time I've had a problem punching any material is when it's full.
Reply to: #818393 by Yumgirl
Dec 5, 2013 8:42pm
Thread
When I lived in New Orleans, I went to the frame shop on the nearby military base and they gave me a huge box of matting scraps. They are perfect for covers.

They also sell big stacks of leftover matboard at Hobby Lobby real cheap. I agree, they make perfect covers!

Doublesaj
O-Wire capacities?
Jan 1, 2014 12:32pm
Thread
Hello

Somewhere in my brain I seem to have a recollection of seeing a chart that indicated how many sheets each size of O-Wire can accommodate but now I can't find it in the AQ tutorials or on the Binditall website. And it's not in the user manual that came with it....though mine is a used BIA so maybe it didn't have all of the original inserts. Hopefully someone here knows what I'm talking about and can point me in the right direction. Thanks!

Peace and happy 2014
CTEE
Re: O-Wire capacities?
Reply to: #822532 by CTEagleEye
Jan 1, 2014 12:48pm
Thread
Thickness limits for covers. Someone asked about this and I finally found it.

Number of pages This could actually use some additional info, but I can't find my notes. I'll keep looking.

Also, see the chart on this page. Look for the click here link about mid-page. I like that they have measurements for the thickness of the stack of paper, b/c that way, you can measure your paper and include the covers. Its easier for me than trying to figure out the width of my randomly procured cardboard, especially since by the time I cover it in various papers or fabrics, it hardly matters what its original dimensions were. By the way, in the clearance section, they almost always have super deals on 3:1 o-wires, but they come in boxes of 100. It's the cheapest place I've found it, especially if you can get someone to go in with you. Or you can bundle 'em up and sell by 10's at an event or donate some to event raffles, etc.
Reply to: #822535 by Wry Me
Jan 1, 2014 1:20pm
Thread
LOL, that's what I was going to say. Total thickness is what counts! My covers are so thick, I can barely get them in the BIA to punch the holes. Does anyone know if the new version can accommodate thicker covers? (I have the old blue version).
Jan 1, 2014 1:57pm
Thread
Thanks for all that helpful information....consider yourself bookmarked!
Jan 1, 2014 2:00pm
Thread
Or you can bundle 'em up and sell by 10's at an event or donate some to event raffles, etc.

Great idea! It just so happens that the BIA I purchased came with lots of O-Wires--probably more than I need--and I have an event coming up at which we will have raffle items. So what is the best way to bundle 'em up? They seem to want to tangle and intertwine when removed from the box with the separators.

Peace
CTEE
Reply to: #822541 by FloridaFour
Jan 1, 2014 2:05pm
Thread
My covers are so thick, I can barely get them in the BIA to punch the holes. Does anyone know if the new version can accommodate thicker covers? (I have the old blue version).

I have been told the pink has a wider channel than the blue but I've never measured and don't have the blue. I just measured the channel of my pink and it is just a hair over 3/16" but just a hair under 1/4".
Reply to: #822553 by CTEagleEye
Jan 1, 2014 2:07pm
Thread
So what is the best way to bundle 'em up? They seem to want to tangle and intertwine when removed from the box with the separators.

Leave them in the box. If you have a couple extra and already opened a new box, put the extra in the new box. I keep at least one empty 3/4" box on hand for storing small bits of various sizes that are 3/4" and smaller.
Jan 1, 2014 2:07pm
Thread
Now that I've had a minute to look over these there seem to be some big variations in the recommendations. For example on the AQ page 3/8" with 20 lb paper shows a max page count of 20 whereas the Binder Depot page shows 93 pages for standard 20 lb paper. That's a major difference! What's everyone else's experience?

Thanks
CTEE
Reply to: #822557 by Dizzy
Jan 1, 2014 2:12pm
Thread
Leave them in the box.

***nodding*** That is good advice except that to make packing simpler they were removed from the boxes when they were shipped to me with the BIA so I have a large ziploc bag with many O-wires in it (all the same size, fortunately).

CTEE
Reply to: #822561 by CTEagleEye
Jan 1, 2014 2:19pm
Thread
Well that stinks. Then I would probably get them all separated and then take a sheet of tissue paper and place them on the paper one by one, rolling each one in between placing the next one on. Then put them in a ziplock so the paper doesn't come unraveled.
Reply to: #822541 by FloridaFour
Jan 1, 2014 2:28pm
Thread
Yes, up to 1/8" in thickness. They touted that as part of the new and improved idea, but I don't know if that's different from the blue model. They had them for around $40 @ Tuesday Morning last year. I'm pretty sure I've exceeded 1/8", but I probably built a little muscle, too! The fabric-covered ones I love so much are pretty thick. When it comes to poking and holes, size matters. snicker.
Reply to: #822565 by Dizzy
Jan 1, 2014 2:29pm
Thread
take a sheet of tissue paper and place them on the paper one by one, rolling each one in between placing the next one on.

Thanks! That sounds like the 'voice of experience' speaking and I appreciate it.

Peace
CTEE