A Letterboxing Community

Search Edit Search

Read Board: The Appalachian Trail

Re: Y'all need an AT Event
Board: The Appalachian Trail
Reply to: #451979 by Green Tortuga
Oct 18, 2009 4:37pm
Thread
I always thought it would be fun to hold a letterboxing "event" somewhere remote in the backcountry that would require backpacking to get to. Or get a group of letterboxers together for a backpacking trip.

Ooooo----this sounds like a great idea too!!
Reply to: #452013 by Trailtracker
Oct 19, 2009 7:49am
Thread
This would be fun......humm.....
Welcome New Members
Oct 19, 2009 7:54am
Welcome to the Appalachian Trail Group!

Green Tortuga
Casa del Sol
Pioneer Spirit

Let's get out and hike!
Welcome!
Nov 1, 2009 5:10pm
Welcome to the AT Group oh mighty and powerful Firespinner! Gone on any good hikes lately?
Welcome to the AT
Nov 22, 2009 8:10am
Welcome to the newest members of the Appalachian Trail:

R2L2D
Cocoahikers

Glad to have you. :)
Hey Gang!
Nov 22, 2009 8:16am
Thread
Hey Gang. I know that this is a crazy time of year with the holidays soon approaching. If you see anything in the news related to AT please post on the board to help us all be informed. I'd love to hear any of your stories or plans involving the AT too.

Enjoy Thanksgiving! Enjoy your family and Friends!

Yvonne
The Misplaced Manatee
of Manatee Mountain
Re: Hey Gang!
Reply to: #464720 by Misplaced Manatee
Nov 23, 2009 3:36am
Thread
There are two new boxes along Section7 and Section 8 (Madrid and Carabassett Valley) of the AT in Maine. Neither box is a "trek" into the "backcountry" but far enough to get your feet muddy. It is my hope to possibly add to them and the idea of creating a link between the the two sections was tossed about. :-)

I read Ryan's post from October about the idea of a LB event along the trail. I'll toss this in... there is an AT campsite not far from Piazza Rock in the Madrid/Section 8 area. We were just talking about an overnight to that spot or the next campsite up near Saddleback next summer. I would recommend late August, but think the weather might cooperate into September when the colors are amazing. Hotel accomodations are available in both Farmington and Rangeley and I could alter the date of the Paddle In Event to coincide if there is interest.

We ran into a water hazard that many would choose not cross on the northbound side from the Carabassett Valley. I would recommend northbound from the Route 4 crossing. Besides, there is really good pizza at the Red Onion in Rangeley!

I know at least two and maybe four of us who would do an AT overnight event. :-)

I mean it from the bottom of my heart, bless those who do the Through Hike. Day hikes are about the extent of my abilities so I really admire those who can carry a pack through Maine. Those sections aren't for the faint.
Welcome to the AT
Reply to: #464975 by Robins Nest
Nov 23, 2009 9:01am
Thread
Welcome Robin's Nest to the group!

Your post sounds interesting. Its something we would consider as well.
Planting the AT
Dec 9, 2009 10:14am
Thread
Greeting hikers of long trails (and short ones, and any ones) and fans of the AT...

Here is a thought - many of us have (or plan to) planted boxes along some portion of or very close to the AT. When we do it, we refer to it as the "Collaborative AT Boxification project." Sometimes, we even put such in our box clues.

Is that something others would be willing to do?

Also, would be construed as "very close to the AT?" Is it a box less than a mile down one of the blue trails? Is it a box within 5 miles as the crow flies from the path of the AT?

Your thoughts?

LB (AT Day Hiker, unlike the mighty Wanda and Tortuga)
Re: Planting the AT
Reply to: #470160 by LightninBug
Dec 14, 2009 6:18pm
Thread
Sounds good to us!
Welcome new Members!
Dec 14, 2009 6:20pm
Welcome! Welcome!
Lightnin Bug
Pink Panther
Adventure Crafter
Veganf and the Dolphins
Claudia and Alex

Welcome to the AT!
I have to do this!
Dec 14, 2009 6:27pm
Thread
Well guys! My hubby and I have always talked about hiking the AT. No way around it now. I promised my Dad! My Dad has always wanted to hike the entire trail....but he was always busy taking care of us, his parents, and many others. He had to take early retirement due to his health...he has Muscular Dystrophy a form called IBM. Anyway, I have been a casual hiker but in the last year I'm getting it all together and losing weight (I have a lot more to go too). My Dad made promise to hike it for him.....I gota do it! Any suggestions? Thoughts? advise? Thanks!
Re: I have to do this!
Reply to: #471871 by Misplaced Manatee
Dec 14, 2009 8:58pm
Thread
I gota do it! Any suggestions?

So you're planning to thru-hike the entire thing? Hahahaha! Suckers! Good luck! ;o)

Just kidding. It'll be quite the adventure. I don't really have any suggestions, though, except to pack as light as possible. If your pack weighs more than 30 pounds after filling it up with food and water, it's too heavy.

And just remember, you'll have days where you're absolutely, utterly miserable. Don't fool yourself into thinking otherwise. Just remember, when you have those days, there are always brighter days ahead, so just keep pushing on. =)

-- Ryan
Reply to: #471900 by Green Tortuga
Dec 15, 2009 6:35am
Thread
I think my Dad and I have to come to some sort of agreement....I don't think I could really do it all in one shot. I wish I could but if I am realistic...... Now this is insane...but what is the easiest part of the trail. I'd love to take my Dad with me on part of it. He does still walk and he'll have an all terrain heavy duty wheelchair as well....ok stop laughing! Now! Stop! Ha! Any suggestions?
Reply to: #471956 by Misplaced Manatee
Dec 15, 2009 9:31am
Thread
I'd love to make it easy on you, but the PA and NJ portion (the Kittatinny Ridge) is where they dumped off all of the rocks from the rest of the AT. There are some woods roads sections in parts, but it is rocky for the most part. The woods roads sections may enable a wheelchair.

LB
Dec 15, 2009 11:06am
Thread
but what is the easiest part of the trail.

The easiest state as a whole, I'd have to give Maryland the prize. The initial hump out of out of Harper's Ferry being the exception, but the rest of the state I remember as being a positive cake walk.

he'll have an all terrain heavy duty wheelchair as well

I distinctly remember that one of the newer huts they built in the White Mountains was designed for wheelchairs. I'm not sure how you'd get a wheelchair TO the hut, but once you reach it, you'd be golden. =)

I'd love to make it easy on you, but the PA and NJ portion (the Kittatinny Ridge) is where they dumped off all of the rocks from the rest of the AT.

The first half of Pennsylvania is pretty easy as well--from Penmar SP to Duncannon or so. The rocks only show up in the second half of the state. The first half is a lot of walking through farmlands. So don't let those rocks of Pennsylvania scare you off. That's only a problem in part of the state. =) Of the two weeks or so it took me to hike through the state, I only remember rocks being a major annoyance on three of the days.

-- Ryan
Reply to: #471871 by Misplaced Manatee
Dec 15, 2009 3:09pm
Thread
I see we will have lots of fun things to talk about at the Mini Meet on Thursday at Bertucci's of Wellesley. I will bring my Maine maps to give you an idea. I've only done day hiking along a couple sections of the AT in Maine. Those sections I have hiked aren't areas that I would recommend a wheel chair for. :-) Robyn
Reply to: #472138 by Robins Nest
Dec 16, 2009 9:34am
Thread
Thanks to you all!! These are great area's for me to start looking in to and planning.

Robin's Nest - I'm looking forward to meeting you tomorrow! You will recognize me..I'll be the one with the dazed look on her face...this will be my 2nd event....I'm doing little ones first.
Reply to: #470160 by LightninBug
Jan 5, 2010 3:46pm
Thread
Here is a thought - many of us have (or plan to) planted boxes along some portion of or very close to the AT. When we do it, we refer to it as the "Collaborative AT Boxification project." Sometimes, we even put such in our box clues.

Is that something others would be willing to do?

Also, would be construed as "very close to the AT?" Is it a box less than a mile down one of the blue trails? Is it a box within 5 miles as the crow flies from the path of the AT?

Your thoughts?

LB (AT Day Hiker, unlike the mighty Wanda and Tortuga)

Greetings, group! I am a rather shy person who loves hiking and finds balance from the chaos and crowds of urban-based work out on the trails.

FWIW, I like the 'Collaborative AT Boxification' idea. I have planted only a few boxes, some in pretty off-the-beaten-path places.

'Very close' to me means less than a mile. And to me, 'the AT' means the white blazes. I'm not a total prude, and I know the value of the blue blazes, but they should be properly described as access trails.

http://www.whiteblaze.net/ is a wonderful source of AT info and socializing!

OK -- back into the cyber-wilderness!

H-M
Reply to: #478144 by HIPS-Meister
Jan 5, 2010 4:37pm
Thread
Thanks for responding. I was starting to believe that this was a cricket chirping only respond to your own area board.

Maybe the idea will get off the ground after all.

LB
Jan 6, 2010 9:06pm
Thread
but what is the easiest part of the trail. I'd love to take my Dad with me on part of it. He does still walk and he'll have an all terrain heavy duty wheelchair as well....ok stop laughing! Now! Stop! Ha! Any suggestions?

The stretch in Shenandoah National Park is generally moderate, and very scenic, yet close to a road, which would be helpful for taking your Dad along... (We have not done the entire Trail yet, but major sections.)

The GA and TN parts are VERY steep and often rocky! Not recommended for handicapped. One possibility would be for your Dad to join you at Amicalola Falls (Southern start-point), and go with you to Springer Mtn, then rejoin you in Damascus, VA.

Let's make some plans! We would love to hike the AT (at least some sections) with LBrs! :-)

TBC
Reply to: #451979 by Green Tortuga
Jan 6, 2010 9:10pm
Thread
But seriously, I always thought it would be fun to hold a letterboxing "event" somewhere remote in the backcountry that would require backpacking to get to. Or get a group of letterboxers together for a backpacking trip. It's certainly feasible!

Both sound awesome!

How about a Grand Canyon cross-canyon backpack, with an event box at Phantom Ranch, and cabins/hotels on each side? (Ideally a 3 or 4 night backpack across. We have lead over 30 hikes in the GC; we lived in AZ 12 years...)

TBC
Interesting...
Jun 7, 2010 8:33am
Thread
Re: Interesting...
Reply to: #520622 by BfloAnonChick
Jun 9, 2010 2:10pm
Thread
http://www.switched.com/2010/06/09/blind-hiker-battles-hardships-on-appalachian-trail-updates-face/?icid=main|main|dl5|link3|http%3A%2F%2Fwww.switched.com%2F2010%2F06%2F09%2Fblind-hiker-battles-hardships-on-appalachian-trail-updates-face%2F

A blind hiker walking the AT.

I wonder how safe it is in Morocco?
good books
Jan 19, 2011 7:47am
Thread
For those of you who have thru hiked or section hiked the AT, what are your book recommendations? There are so many on Amazon, it's hard to choose. I'm very familiar with the White Mtns section, down through VT/MA, but otherwise I know little of the trail south of that and in ME except what I've read on various blogs. What's a good book or two for enjoyable reading, and also practical books for section hiking info?
Re: good books
Reply to: #579781 by veganf and the Dolphins
Jan 19, 2011 12:18pm
Thread
For those of you who have thru hiked or section hiked the AT, what are your book recommendations?

Walking With Spring is interesting, if for no other reason than it was written by Earl Shaffer--the first person to thru-hike the Appalachian Trail. The trail has changed a LOT since that particular hike, but it's still historic and fascinating to read about. =)

AWOL On the Appalachian Trail was written by AWOL who thru-hiked the trail the same year that I did and even mentions me and little stamp early in the book. ;o)

A Walk In the Woods is probably the most love and hated book on the trail, depending on who you ask. It's a funny book, though, and probably the best selling AT book of all time.

As for practical books for hiking the trail--I haven't needed any of those since my 2003 thru-hike, and it sounds like what's available has changed dramatically since that time. The only thing you really need is a data book that lists distances to water sources, shelters, roads, etc. The AT is so well-marked, you don't really need maps. (I had maps when I started in Georgia, but found them so unnecessary, I hiked from North Carolina to Maine with no maps at all and never had a problem.) But I still needed to know how far away water was and such, so a data book is essential.

I found this listing on Amazon. I've never seen it before, but from the description it provided, it sounds like it would work too. It might have a little more information than the data book does, but strictly speaking, it's probably not necessary either.

-- Ryan
Reply to: #579854 by Green Tortuga
Jan 19, 2011 5:28pm
Thread
My step-father Jim Coplen wrote "The Wild Birds' Song" about his experience thru-hiking the AT with the trailname SixIron. I had the honor of helping to proofread it and have enjoyed it cover-to-cover several times. If you're interested in getting a copy signed by him, he's very happy to communicate with hikers and send a copy directly to you. Just let me know and I can hook you up. :-) That's much more cool than ordering an unsigned copy from Amazon. LOL

http://www.amazon.com/Wild-Birds-Song-Jim-Coplen/dp/0966713702/ref=sr_1_6?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1295486646&sr=1-6

GreyCrazy
Reply to: #579936 by GreyCrazy
Jan 19, 2011 5:34pm
Thread
I just looked at that link again and it's showing new copies like $45! GEEZ! I have NO idea where that comes from, but I think the list price on The Wild Birds' Song is something like $15.95. It's around there, certainly WELL under $20, even directly from Jim.

GreyCrazy
Elderly hiker dies in shelter
Apr 12, 2011 2:22pm
A 70 year old hiker named Model-T died overnight in a shelter on the AT in or near the Smoky mountains. Via a thread on whiteblaze.net Apparently someone died in the Mt Collins shelter back in 2006 where we stopped for lunch a couple years ago during an event.

http://trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?id=335459
Missing Hiker on AT in Maine
Jul 29, 2013 11:37am