Jan 19, 2015 7:06am
Thread
Very cool!
Re: Urban Camo
Board: Urban boxers
Reply to: #885034 by The Wolf Family
Jan 19, 2015 11:57am
Thread
It still makes me chuckle when I walk past the greenway and see that BRIGHT object that everyone thinks is perfectly normal there! LOL! But in THAT environment it IS camo!

The object of camouflage is to make it looks like it belongs so that people ignore it. I guess in this situation, bright colors work. That is a very clever idea!
Old urban boxes
Jul 6, 2015 6:04am
Thread
I've been thinking of retiring this series for a while:
http://www.atlasquest.com/showinfo.html?boxId=95973

Despite the fact that it's located in a busy city, it really doesn't get any finders anymore. And anyone doing urban boxes knows they have a higher than normal rate of going missing so they can be a lot of maintenance (especially if no one is going to hunt them). When I checked on the series yesterday 5 of the 7 are gone (which I expected). BUT the last 2 are still there and are the ORIGINAL boxes lasting 7 yrs! And these two are in PLAIN SIGHT. You can stand near them and actually see them without moving a thing, and they are in EXTREMELY HIGH TRAFFIC AREAS.

So now I don't actually want to retire those 2 because it's kind of an experiment in how long they can last! But maybe that length of time for an in plain sight box isn't that remarkable...

How old is your oldest urban box that you have never had to replace and is in plain sight?
Re: Old urban boxes
Reply to: #903726 by The Wolf Family
Jul 6, 2015 6:25am
Thread
And these two are in PLAIN SIGHT. You can stand near them and actually see them without moving a thing, and they are in EXTREMELY HIGH TRAFFIC AREAS.

Would you be willing to share with us how they are hidden? It could be very instructive on how to hide an urban box.
Jul 6, 2015 7:04am
Thread
oooooo ..... don't retire them!
There are those of us who dream of using an airline voucher for an airline whose hub is CLT and then letterboxing solid for a couple of days while our better half goes to meetings!
Reply to: #903732 by Oberon_Kenobi
Jul 6, 2015 8:25am
Thread
One is INSIDE a hollow metal black fence with a rare earth magnet. There is a black cord hanging out in plain sight that you pull on to slide it out.

The other is a small black pouch velcroed on a building. You can stand next to it, look down and see it.
Jul 6, 2015 8:35am
Thread
My oldest original box in plain sight is in a 5'x7' metal container magnetized to a beam under a bridge (with a comment in the logbook from a geocacher that it was spotted from below with binoculars) that is going on six years this month. The rustier it gets, the more it looks like it's supposed to be there.

K
Reply to: #903755 by Kelsung
Jul 6, 2015 9:06am
Thread
I have another urban box that I adopted that is even older. It was planted in 2003. The contents were replaced once though. This is the biggest urban box I've ever seen in plain sight! It's located just sitting (unattached) on the back of an indoor machine. It's black like the machine so people look right at it and just think it is part of the machine:
http://www.atlasquest.com/showinfo.html?boxId=134681
Reply to: #903755 by Kelsung
Jul 6, 2015 9:10am
Thread
a 5'x7' metal container magnetized

WOW! You would think that someone would notice something the size of a coffin stuck under a bridge!

*giggle*
Someone didn't it the shift key...
Reply to: #903758 by The Wolf Family
Jul 6, 2015 11:05am
Thread
Reply to: #903757 by The Wolf Family
Jul 11, 2015 9:41pm
Thread
You claim it's the biggest in plain sight letterbox you've ever seen...well, you've been to Dillsboro. I've got a really big one there. It's about the size of an old mailbox...but actually it's a letterbox...

Oh, I'm sure you remember that one now. :)
Reply to: #904224 by X Marks The Spot
Jul 11, 2015 10:38pm
Thread
It's about the size of an old mailbox...but actually it's a letterbox...

Duh! You are right!! Hmmm... then there's that sundial on a platform you made. Not sure which is bigger!
Jul 15, 2015 2:17pm
Thread
I have a HIPS box that is sometimes planted in very urban places, sometimes its "hidden " right on the edge of a trail. It's bright orange and about the size of a football cut in half. It is not hidden by anything , it is in plain sight in its neon orange brightness. Boxers, and people walk right by it.
Reply to: #904513 by airstream dreams
Jul 16, 2015 9:34am
Thread
sometimes planted in very urban places

So this is a traveling box that doesn't stay in one place? Like a HIPS box for an event?
Jul 16, 2015 9:43am
Thread
Aww... Only found one of those.
Reply to: #903738 by Dartmoor Dreamer
Jul 16, 2015 9:47am
Thread
There are those of us who dream of using an airline voucher for an airline whose hub is CLT

Maybe it is time for a name change to Charlotte Dreamer.
Reply to: #904575 by The Wolf Family
Jul 16, 2015 1:45pm
Thread
So this is a traveling box that doesn't stay in one place? Like a HIPS box for an event?

Oh yes, like that pile of fake Dog poo LB that you use to bring to events, it was so funny to watch the reaction of LBers attempting to pick up the Poop.

Only I don't put mine up close to the event, but quite a ways away, because it "fits" in better from a distance.

I have another one that I can put right up close (in parking lot) and people will walk on by it.
Reply to: #904618 by airstream dreams
Jul 16, 2015 7:05pm
Thread
like that pile of fake Dog poo LB that you use to bring to events

Oh man. I need a dog poo box...fake of course...
Reply to: #904656 by ladybugz
Jul 16, 2015 7:55pm
Thread
Oh, man...I need a fake dig poop box

Lol! Well, if you want to do temporary HIPS boxes you can do anything you like since they are a heck of a lot easier than permanent plants in a busy city setting IMO. Pretty much anything will last in an event weekend only. So knock yourself out being as crazy imaginative as you want!

Anyone who went to the Grateful Letterboxers event in MA this past weekend may have seen the working waterwheel with a letterbox inside that Dingus and I made. I dont expect it to last long but since it is temporary, the sky is the limit!
Reply to: #904669 by The Wolf Family
Jul 16, 2015 8:52pm
Thread
I saw it. It was awesome. When we found it, early on, it had been put back wrong, and wasn't spinning. So, it was wet inside. We put it back right, and got to see it in all its glory. I know it was still going when I left on Sunday. I appreciate stuff like that at least as much as the actual stamp!
Aug 13, 2015 10:36am
Thread
I just checked on one of my boxes ....In plain sight ....been there 3 years
Reply to: #907165 by Dartmoor Dreamer
Aug 17, 2015 9:44pm
Thread
I love to hear of HIPS boxes going for so long. Inspirational!
Reply to: #907548 by X Marks The Spot
Aug 18, 2015 10:25am
Thread
Due to circumstances beyond my control, I now reside in an urban environment .... an urban environment lacking letterboxes.

I really want to get some boxes planted before the snow flies and before I get uprooted again.
Reply to: #907572 by Dartmoor Dreamer
Aug 18, 2015 7:59pm
Thread
Due to circumstances beyond my control, I now reside in an urban environment .... an urban environment lacking letterboxes.

I remember that time.
Gotta love changing it. ;)
Magnet box tips?
Aug 25, 2017 11:11am
Thread
Our family is new to letterboxing and I would like to hide a few boxes around town.

I was thinking about using magnet to hide boxes to the undersides of stairs, railings etc...

Could any of you more experienced folks provide some tips on how to construct the boxes? What type of boxes you use, how to attach the magnet, what type of magnets, how you camouflage the boxes?

thanks!

3fillesquicherchent
Re: Magnet box tips?
Reply to: #950510 by 3fillesquicherchent
Aug 25, 2017 11:49am
Thread
Use rare earth magnets, by far the best. Make sure your container is bombproof waterproof. Put the magnet on the inside of the box or else the glue or tape will eventually fail.
Reply to: #950511 by DarkZen and Evil Cow Pie
Aug 25, 2017 12:08pm
Thread
I hadn't thought of putting the magnet inside the box! Great idea.
Sep 2, 2017 10:51am
Thread
Paint the box the same color as the step/pole/bench/box/etc.

deniserows
with rustoleum
Sep 2, 2017 5:36pm
Thread
1. make sure your box doesn't resemble a bomb,and don't mount it on a propane tank, urban folks will call the police
2. great places to hide are free newspaper kiosks, under mail boxes, under rails on buildings
3. use rare earth magnets, and altoid boxes you can buy the altoid boxes on line. large medicine bottles work too. you can also use Velcro to attach to non ferrous locations. Don't use neon pink or green containers, they stand out for a reason
4 don't plant in parks that have gardeners, squirrels and the homeless people ... homeless people have a knack for finding private places in parks to make deposits
not where you want to be boxing... for urban boxing, cemeteries are better and rich with clues
5. try to find a place that wont get wet.. eg under mailboxes and in libraries
6 some urban places ive found boxes
-in the plinth of a lightpole, sometimes the plinth raises up, sometimes you pull a cover and reach in amongst wires scary
-in between sandwiched public signs on a pole,,, helps a lot if they are steel and not aluminium
-under handicapped ramps, stairs and on fire escape ladders
-in every kind of retail store, sometimes the owners are unaware
like the time the box was hidden in the battery rack at safeway made me feel like a shoplifter taking the box out and returning it
7 places id love to find a box
- on a public transit vehicle a bus, ferry or a train
great for trainspotters... I did find a box on a ferry once
-inside the secure area of every airport,,,
- in a restaurant where the clue forced you to use words from the menu

remember onslow's words to Richard, upon his retirement in the TV show, "keeping up appearances" " you need to be constructively irresponsible in retirement"
Reply to: #950837 by fleetwood7
Sep 16, 2017 2:06pm
Thread
Ahhhh... I wouldn't put it in the secure part of an airport (I mean, I don't like messing with the airport security - not worth it) and if you put it in a cemetery, please please avoid making people dig anywhere. It looks terrible!

Found a lot of stamps attached magnetically under park benches. Fairly discreet to find.