Reply to: #379041 by terrio
Apr 22, 2009 11:39am
Thread
Sorry for your loss
My Cat has...
Board: Health
Apr 22, 2009 5:18pm
Thread
It was time for him to be.... p.. d.... And, it just....

Crying!!!!!!!!!!!
Re: My Cat has...
Reply to: #379428 by EnergyStar
Apr 22, 2009 7:29pm
Thread
Aw, sweetie, I'm so sorry. It hurts so much when one of our furbabies dies. Don't let anyone try to make you feel like you shouldn't grieve. Cry if you need to and we're always here if you want to talk.

hugs
dancing pecan
Re: Dealing with Grief when a cat dies
Reply to: #378992 by EnergyStar
Apr 23, 2009 6:11am
Thread
You have my deepest sympathies. When my aunt's cat died after 16 years she had a short service for her so that friends and family could remember Precious. She has a small headstone in the backyard as well. It is a nice way to keep her memory alive.
Reply to: #379496 by dancingpecan
Apr 23, 2009 2:14pm
Thread
I know...
Re: Dealing with Grief when a cat dies
Reply to: #378992 by EnergyStar
Apr 23, 2009 4:25pm
Thread
i'm so sorry. Its hard i know. i've been there.

deniserows
with tears in her eyes
recommendation for pet health insurance?
May 6, 2009 8:43pm
Thread
Came here to read about the mouth infection etc.

I am dreading taking my too-thin 5 year old kitty to the vet because I am afraid it will be either expensive dental or diabetes. A friend's cat needs $1200 of dental work now and she can't afford it.. I paid about $2800 for my beloved late kitty's cardiac care for 3 mos before he passed away (13 years old seemed so young!)

So, I was hoping to get this buddy signed up for pet health insurance *first*

Any one have any recommendations? I know I may need to have insurance for a few months before I get any diagnosis or they will call it pre existing condition.
Reply to: #379428 by EnergyStar
May 6, 2009 8:49pm
Thread
so very sorry! I know you are in real pain.
We were glad we had some beautiful photos of our late kitty.. every year on Dia de Los Muertos we put them on an altar with his collar and tag, near photos and mementos of other deceased family members.
We had him cremated at the very same place deniserows has a letterbox planted-!! Costco.com on-line has very small urns for cremains (used when family members have divided up cremains, or for an infant or pet)
It really hit my kid hard. She was about 7 years old then, and her first word had been kittycat (ee!ee!DAT, and pointed right to kitty) so she adored him..

Sorry for your loss!
Re: recommendation for pet health insurance?
Reply to: #385969 by SuziLivvi
May 7, 2009 6:17am
Thread
When I had all of my cats teeth removed I opted for the cheapest way...if you have a good relationship with your vet they will probably do this. No blood work, no dental, the cheapest antibiotic etc. They know that I have a lot of cats and want to do right by them so they try to keep costs down for me. Maybe a heart to heart with the vet is in order?
I am also thinking that you might need a pre-insurance check up to get that insurance? I am not sure on that though...I wouldnt know which of mine to insure so I havent ever checked it out. Good luck! Terrio
chompers
May 7, 2009 7:50am
Sati is having her teeth cleaned today. Although this is a routine procedure I am still anxious because I know my baby is scared and doesn't understand why mommy has left her with the vet when I usually stay with her to brave the horrific experience that is a check up. She is 7, so they are going to do bloodwork first to make sure she can handle the anesthesia. The tech promised to call me if there are any problems or as soon as she is in recovery. I know she is in capable hands, but going to the dentist is no picnic for anybody, cat or human!
Reply to: #385969 by SuziLivvi
May 9, 2009 7:31am
Thread
We have the ASPCA pet insurance..it's about $25 per cat. Only thing is, you have to pay for services up front and send in a claim before they reimburse you. Unless you make some arrangement with the vet.
http://www.aspcapetinsurance.com/?utm_id=2000
Reply to: #386953 by PsychedelicSunflower
May 12, 2009 6:22am
Thread
Thanks for the link...I am going to check it out later when I have more time. Terrio
When to Euthanize?
May 20, 2009 10:13am
Thread
We have a four year old female cat (Jiva) who swallowed a string about a month ago, maybe longer. We weren't sure what it was until recently, but that's skipping ahead.

She has been to the vet, x-rays showed nothing, they gave her meds in case it was IBS. Her downward progression has been slow, but basically she has not eaten more than a bite or two every couple of days for the past month. When she eats, she vomits. She sometimes vomits when she doesn't eat. (These are violent vomits that make her cry out, not just regurgitation her food). And eventually she just stopped eating, only drinking and then immediately peeing on the bathroom rug (which is a few feet from the cat water fountain). The rest of her time is spent lying on the bed which she can barely climb. Yesterday we managed to get a couple of teaspoons of kitten milk in her with a syringe and this prompted her to poop. That's when I saw the string, which we suspected all along. I had to cut it because I wasn't going to pull and risk injuring her. She walked as though it was very painful for a few hours afterward.

This is our second cat within a year to wither away like this (for different reasons). I am very familiar with what happens when cats stop eating. But, it doesn't matter if we force food down her, she still throws it up. My husband thinks if we force food in her she will eventually poop out the string and all will be well. I tend to think this will only stress her when she is so weak from this prolonged ailment that her organs are probably shutting down.

Should we continue to force her to eat, which makes her vomit and have painful bowel movements? Or should we let her rest in her spot on the bed until she seems to be in constant pain? Or is waiting until the pain is constant cruel and I should take her to be euthanized sooner?

I think we should let her rest, pet her, and make her feel loved; and when she demonstrates trouble walking it is time to euthanize. My husband thinks this is giving up too soon.

-Quiet Place
Re: When to Euthanize?
Reply to: #391265 by Quiet Place
May 20, 2009 11:58am
Thread
Is there nothing the vets can do for her? I'm so sorry.

FG
Reply to: #391335 by J Walkers
May 20, 2009 1:21pm
Thread
By the time we confirmed it was a string causing the problem, she is now too weak to have surgery to remove it.

I once had a cat, Quincy, that I left at the vet so they could try to force feed him to get him nursed back to health. I came back the next morning to find they had not fed him anything and he went into seizures. I stayed there petting him through the door of his cage and crying until the vet told me I should go get some lunch, at which point they gave my cat a muscle relaxer and pretty much euthanized him. I was quite angry, given that the initial problem was caused by that same vet overdosing my cat on meds to rid him of a parasite.

Anyway, I took Jiva in when she was relatively strong but obviously sick. The vet (different one, obviously) treated her the best that could be done without surgery, thinking it might be IBS. Now that she is so worn down and weak, I don't want to make the same mistake of having her spend her last days in a vet's office, stressed, and feeling abandoned.

I would have given anything if I had asked the vet to unhook Quincy from the IVs and let me hold him while he died, instead of going off to lunch and coming back to find him gone.

I still am ambivalent about euthanizing animals. I'm the one that has to do it when necessary, and it always feels merciful and cruel at the same time. And on top of that, I have to explain to a house full of family why it was necessary when even ~I~ have doubts about the timing, regardless of the inevitable death of the animal.

-Quiet Place
Reply to: #391366 by Quiet Place
May 20, 2009 7:13pm
Thread
It is a very hard decision to make...if your cat seems to not have any quality of life left; eating, drinking, playing, purring and relatively pain free, then it is probably time to make that appointment. It is a necessary part of having a pet but it certainly doesnt make it any easier!
Today as we buried our 14 year old Border Collie we said simultaneously, "makes you want to think twice about having pets, hey?" We have had a lot of pet deaths in the last month or two...they are all getting old!
Good luck with your decision--I will be thinking of you. Terrio
Great news- no diabetes or dental disease
May 26, 2009 1:04pm
We took our two cats to the vet on Friday night- dreading hearing about the one I was so worried was really really skinny. The vet did not think he was that bad-?! She is VERY experienced. She looked in teh chart and did not even give me a hard time that it was 3 years since last visit (is that possible?!) and that last time, he also was thin and de-worming helped- I had called back a few weeks later and reported he was eating better after the de-worming.

Funny, the old wives' tale is that a tapeworm makes you eat like crazy (it's absorbing the nutrients so you'd feel hungry even when eating well) but she said it can make them feel bloated or nauseous and kill appetite..

She said hunter cats often pick up round worms from mice, so they should be on Revolution, not just Advantage/flea drops. Also protects against heartworm which is becoming a bigger issue for cats in our area.. and much quicker to kill in a cat than in a dog, like 1 year instead of 5-7.

I am so relieved she didn't think he needed diabetes testing yet, said he's too young for thyroid (just hit 4) and no dental issues!
Reply to: #391529 by terrio
May 27, 2009 11:05am
Thread
Jiva is at the vet now. They had to work her in between scheduled patients. They should call soon. But, we expect the only option will be to euthanize.

We feel she has suffered enough. But, it will be hard to explain to my daughter who considers this "her" cat.

-Quiet Place
Reply to: #394464 by Quiet Place
May 28, 2009 7:03am
Thread
That is when it is the hardest; when the animal belongs to your child! My son (20) was sobbing as we buried our dog. So hard to take! If at all possible have your daughter come with you to the vet (if she is old enough to understand) and then help you bury him/her. I think it gives kids closure and helps them to heal. Terrio (hugs to you all)
stomach pain
Jun 16, 2009 6:30am
Thread
I am worried about Sati. Over the past few days she has been meowing when I pick her up...not a complaint meow, but an "Ow, that hurts!" meow. She has never been a fan of being touched on the stomach, but when I investigated I found this. It looks like either a rash or scratch around her nipple. She is indoors and takes regular flea medication. Also, that seems to be the only affected area. I'm not sure if/how it correlates to her discomfort when being picked up. And I may be paranoid, but I think her meow is off pitch. Any advice?
Re: stomach pain
Reply to: #402304 by Sati's Human
Jun 16, 2009 9:42am
Thread
Honestly, I'd give your vet a call. They might be able to diagnose it over the phone, but they also might want to see her. I don't take any chances with my kitties! :)

-gollygee
kitty health alert
Aug 10, 2009 7:48am
Thread
A friend of mine sent me this and I wanted to alert all my fellow kitty lovers or anyone who might know one.

I have a huge favor to ask all of you. Mattie is sick, and right now is under observation at the vet's office. I believe that she has been hooked up to a catheter, her system is being flushed in case of liver damage, and she is one different medications, (one which I will take home with me, if I am able to take her home tonight). The reason for this, is because I used a flea/tick medication that I purchased from Target a few years back called Nature's Guardian. This medication is advertised as an all natural ingredient, safe, and full of essential oils (ha, for those that know me can understand why I bought this product). Well this product is not safe for cats. Apparently, the vet took one look at the box when I brought it in and said how dangerous it is to pets. What this product doesn't tell you is that cats have a different type of liver than humans do and cannot metabolize essentials oils the way human livers do. In fact, even diffusing oils in your house can cause toxicity in cats. They need 48-72 hours to metabolize the different compounds in essential oils. http://cats.about.com/od/housekeeping/a/aromatherapy.htm. Also, the active ingredient used in this product is called Octopamine, which is a beta3 andrengic agonist (http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/octo.htm) essentially a product similar to ephedrine which has no conclusive results in humans or other mammals. Companies are using this drug as a "green" alternative to pesticides and other herbicides. But after doing some research online, I just done buy it. It seems to be used to stimulate egg laying, or different energy inducing behaviors in invertebrates and a weight loss in vertebrates. After applying this medication to Mattie's back (between her shoulders of course!) within 10 minutes she was foaming at the mouth, and now she is at the vet, sick, and I have a $200 vet bill.

My favor is either to forward this email out to as many people that you know so that no one ever uses this product again! And/or contact the company to express our outrage at how this company can sell this product without any warning labels on it at all! After reading some comments about this product I learned that some pets died because of this medication, some pets lost their hair in the area of application, some got scabs or skin irritations, and almost all that Blake and I read had increased energy levels (spastic!) after application. Also, Hartz flea and tick medication had similar results, FYI.
Here is their website: http://www.sergeantsnatural.com/
Thank you so very much from the bottom of my heart, and Mattie's heart. I will keep anyone updated on her progress/status as it comes to me.
Re: kitty health alert
Reply to: #426716 by Sati's Human
Aug 10, 2009 11:19am
Thread
Thank you very much for sharing this!!! I will keep an eye out for those products.
Re: kitty health alert
Reply to: #426716 by Sati's Human
Aug 10, 2009 11:48am
Thread
Wow, I'm posting this on Facebook now for all of my animal-loving friends there. So horrible! :(

-gollygee
mysterious dark spot on kitty's stomach
Mar 28, 2011 9:30am
Thread
Francis Bean is a 9 y/o neutered, indoor kitty - my roommate's cat. Just recently we have noticed this dark discoloration on his stomach. It is between the nipples closest to his private parts. The fur is not growing there. It isn't raised up and doesn't seem to be spreading or growing, of course he is black so it is hard to know how long it has been there. He does not like when we touch it, so the picture I have attached is not the best.

[IMG]http://i.imgur.com/6ZqaT.jpg[/IMG]
Re: mysterious dark spot on kitty's stomach
Reply to: #595252 by Sati's Human
Mar 28, 2011 9:50am
Thread
I have a cat who has a few spots like that - she was pulling her fur out due to allergies. However, if it's tender to the touch, I'd suggest getting him to a vet. Who knows what could be growing under there?
balding belly
Aug 26, 2011 11:34am
Thread
Sati is losing fur around her lower nipples and inner hind legs. You can see her little boobies when she lays down! I haven't noticed any excessive grooming or unusual behavior. She doesn't seem bothered by anything. Does this happen to older cats (she's 9)?
Re: balding belly
Reply to: #634248 by Sati's Human
Aug 26, 2011 11:40am
Thread
My 10-year-old had that happening for a while, but she was over-grooming. We determined she had allergies, and now she's on allergy meds and her fur has grown back. Good luck figuring it out!
Plaque Blast
Mar 1, 2012 4:53am
Thread
Hi, has anyone actually tried the As Seen on TV product Plaque Blast? I tend to be skeptical about any As Seen on TV product (except my Magic Bullet, that one is amazing), but my cats are getting older and have never had a teeth cleaning and I know they probably need one but I can't afford it, Thus it would be nice if this product actually works as well as it advertises itself to.
Re: Plaque Blast
Reply to: #679822 by Epicus Ratticus
Mar 4, 2012 9:48am
Thread
I dont know if it works or not (please post if you end up trying it!) but I have a dog that could sure use it! I am not sure how a cat would react to it though...their mouths can be pretty hard to open, and then to spray something in?...JMHO-terrio