A Letterboxing Community

Search Edit Search

Read Board: Lets Talk About God

Re: The Vatican has an astronomer?!?
Board: Lets Talk About God
Reply to: #879477 by Polish Baker
Dec 7, 2014 4:54pm
Thread
Wow! Thanks for pointing us to that website. I see that Br. Consolmagno is also a Carl Sagan medal recipient. Cool!
Mary Candle
Dec 17, 2014 12:42pm
Thread
Actually I wanna talk about Mary but there isn't an option for that. Anywhoooo....

This year we have started a new tradition. Lighting a Mary candle every morning or evening. My daughter and I light the candle and I tell her a little bit more about Mary. If you have any Latino culture stores, they have these beautiful kits this time of the year with a white candle, white lace, and some kind of artwork depicting Mary. We just have a pretty traditional and basic glass candle of Our Lady of Guadalupe. I have a pearl glass rosary from Basilica and it is wrapped like a wreath at the bottom of the candle.next to it is a little artwork depicting the long-haired Jesus and I have a rosary of purple red and green that I made draped around that. So not completely traditional. But with absolute respect. I was so excited this morning because my daughter wanted me to tell her more. Somewhere I absolutely have gone wrong and became lazy with teaching my daughter all of the things that I read in the Bible. She use to know sooo much. Now it seems she just doesn't long for it like she use to.
Anyway, This has been such a gift! I love this time that I can spend with my daughter and teach her about Christ and the kingdom of heaven. Oh yeah, is today amber Wednesday? Bad Dawn lol bad Dawn.

http://www.catholicculture.org/culture/liturgicalyear/activities/view.cfm?id=978
Re: Mary Candle
Reply to: #880778 by crosscresent
Dec 17, 2014 1:13pm
Thread
I had never heard of the Mary candle. One of my daughters gave me a beautiful magazine about Mary for my birthday last week. I started to read it but kept falling asleep. I'm not a reader. I've also never heard of amber Wednesday. I'll have to look that one up. The Guadalupe feast was recently, the last couple weeks I think. They've been talking about Guadalupe quite a bit lately on the Catholic radio channel and how when Mrs. Clinton visited there she asked "who painted it" and they responded "God". :)

Oh, I Googled amber Wednesday and got nothing.
Reply to: #880779 by Topcollector
Dec 17, 2014 2:00pm
Thread
The Guadalupe feast was recently,

Yup! It was Dec. 12. Our parish has a huge Hispanic population primarily from Mexico and Central America and they celebrate her in a big way! The celebration starts on the evening of Dec 11 and lasts all night. There is music and testimony and prayer and a re-enactment of the Juan Diego story. This tradition is called Mananitas in which you are serenaded on the morning of your birthday. I can tell you the whole church is hopping....there is no parking for 3 blocks around.....and you can hear the celebrating that far too! They then have a big breakfast, go to work, then come back in the evening for a Mass. The church is still filled with roses!
Reply to: #880792 by CTEagleEye
Dec 17, 2014 3:53pm
Thread
It's actually spelled "Ember." Search for "Ember Days." I am an old-time Catholic and always liked the name of those days. Like a fire going out and the last coals are glowing. -Rose
Reply to: #880778 by crosscresent
Dec 17, 2014 4:08pm
Thread
I hadn't heard of the Mary candle either, but it sounds like a very nice tradition. Your daughter is lucky that you're sharing it with her.
Reply to: #880779 by Topcollector
Dec 17, 2014 6:59pm
Thread
EMBER!!! LOL. Stupid spell check got me!!!
Reply to: #880811 by Dawnkey
Dec 17, 2014 7:06pm
Thread
Awe!! Thank you!! :)

I forgot it was a fasting day. There are so many things to remember. And we have a lot going on. Trying to stay centered. Kinda blew it. HOWEVER.. :) the week is not over :)

I am not good at all of the traditions but I am all about me some advent. :-D
St. Maria Goretti
Oct 15, 2015 11:34am
Thread
I might actually get to see her relics next Monday! So excited. They will be in Belleville, IL, which is only about 100 miles away. Never dreamed they would be so close. And on top of that, they will be available for viewing until 11 p.m., so work is no problem. My boss had actually offered to let me take time off to see them.
Re: St. Maria Goretti
Reply to: #911717 by Topcollector
Oct 16, 2015 5:32am
Thread
Hope you get to see them. She is one of three saints whose relics are in our altar.
Excited! I will be confirmed Easter!!!
Mar 31, 2017 7:33pm
Thread
I finally took the plunge and started my classes quite a few months ago. And has been a difficult journey at times. I even had to switch RCIA sponsors due to some pretty serious drama.
St Theresa of Avila chose me so that she could be my patron saint, and that was amazing. Many spiritual experiences that have blown me away and filled me with courage, confidence, a new found understanding of intuition, and love. I am reading her book called the Interior Castle, which has helped me so much during some of the trying times.
I am definitely excited to be able to take my first communion in the Catholic Church.
Its been something I've been wanting to do for so many years. I struggled with my faith for a while which was so hard on me. I know now why God led me on the journey that He did. Anyway, I wanted to share the news. :-) ♡♡♡
Re: Excited! I will be confirmed Easter!!!
Reply to: #943745 by crosscresent
Mar 31, 2017 9:50pm
Thread
Congratulations! I'm so happy for you. I'll be cantoring for the whole weekend at my church. This is my favorite season to sing.
Apr 1, 2017 4:45am
Thread
How wonderful for you! I love attending the Easter vigil mass and seeing the joy in the faces of those entering into the church and receiving the body and blood of Jesus for the first time. God Bless you.
Apr 1, 2017 11:56am
Thread
Congratulations! I joined the Catholic Church at the Easter Vigil in 2006. One of the absolute best decisions of my life. I feel blessed to be Catholic and privileged to receive the sacraments. The Easter Vigil itself is incredible, and I've attended it almost every year since. God bless!
Apr 1, 2017 7:07pm
Thread
Congratulations and God may bless you!!
Apr 2, 2017 5:45pm
Thread
The Easter Vigil is one of my favorite liturgies to attend. I love watching the priest's face as much as watching the faces of those receiving the sacraments. It's such a special experience. Welcome to the Catholic Church!
Peace
CTEE
My first communion!!! ♡♡♡
Apr 15, 2017 10:11am
Thread
I'm so excited. Tonight I finally get to partake in the precious body of Christ. These months have been intersting, blessing filled, and at times extremely trying. But today is the day!!! ♡♡♡

BLESSINGS! ~~~

-Dawn
Re: My first communion!!! ♡♡♡
Reply to: #944564 by crosscresent
Apr 15, 2017 10:21am
Thread
Truly awesome! I definitely remember the first time I received, 11 years ago. I'll say a prayer for you tonight when I'm at the Easter Vigil.
Apr 15, 2017 12:41pm
Thread
I'm excited for you! I was our RCIA Director for 18 years- I just retired last year. I don't miss all of the work, but I do miss getting to know and journey with people like you.
Apr 15, 2017 8:04pm
Thread
It was aaaaaaaawesome!!! The country singer Clay Walker was there and singing as I did my first communion. It was funny because there is also a big music video being recorded down the street by Brad Paisley. So we could hear that, too. My sponsor gave me a Medugorje medal that was blessed by St Pope John Paul II ♡♡♡
And a book called "Praying with Teresa of Avila" (my patron Saint).

I already have and love the Interior Castle by her and have worn it out ♡♡♡

Yay!!!!!
Reply to: #944573 by crosscresent
Apr 15, 2017 8:07pm
Thread
And I finally got to take communion!!! ♡♡♡
Reply to: #944573 by crosscresent
Apr 15, 2017 8:38pm
Thread
Wow, that was special. Our Mass was great. We had 7 readings and sung responses in addition to the Exultet which I got to sing. There were 2 of us who took turns. Amazingly fun. I'm glad yours was wonderful too. Welcome home.
Reply to: #944575 by Topcollector
Apr 16, 2017 3:29pm
Thread
Crosscresent, you are a better woman than I if you made it all the way through "The Interior Castle!"
And Topcollector, kudos for singing the Exsultet. What a privilege!
Reply to: #944601 by Rosmarinus
Apr 17, 2017 8:21pm
Thread
It depends on the version you get. The first one I got was from the library, it was a big mess. Broke my heart. The letters were too tiny and I couldn't tell where any paragraphs stopped or started. The whole thing ran together as a big boring blah!!!. It was a mess.

But I got lucky bc before my library book trauma, I had ordered 1 that was translated and arranged by The Benedictines of Stanbrook. Revised with notes and instruction by reverend father Benedict Zimmerman.

Total game changer!!!! ♡♡♡

My other idea on this book not being the easiest book to read is that it is indeed a living book.
I had some extremely trying times in my rcia journey. There is a person who wanted to destroy me. She manipulated others into making me look like I was crazy. This book is protected me. Every time I opened it, it would be exactly what I needed to do. Even though people in the church were telling me to do something completely opposite. I just kept my mouth shut and did what Teresa of Avila told me to do. Changed everything!
Reply to: #944670 by crosscresent
Apr 18, 2017 10:01am
Thread
Glad it helped you get through. I've heard that some RCIA groups are better than others.
Reply to: #944682 by Topcollector
Apr 18, 2017 1:31pm
Thread
The class is great. I just got into a tricky thing. ♡♡♡
100 anniversary
Oct 12, 2017 6:16pm
Thread
Tomorrow is the 100th anniversary of the Miracle of the Sun at Fatima. It happened the day after my mom was born. All kinds of programming for it on EWTN tomorrow.
Re: 100 anniversary
Reply to: #952494 by Topcollector
Oct 15, 2017 1:06pm
Thread
I was blessed to be in Fatima last year on the 99th anniversary. They were already gearing up for this year's commemoration. -Rose
Reply to: #952609 by Rosmarinus
Oct 15, 2017 2:06pm
Thread
That would've been awesome. I taped a bunch of the Fatima episodes on my DVD Friday and watched them last night.
Reply to: #952613 by Topcollector
Oct 15, 2017 2:50pm
Thread
One of the best parts was the candlelight vigil, which occurs after dark with hundreds of people processing with candles. (Or more likely, thousands of people.)