A Letterboxing Community

Search Edit Search

Read Board: Cheese!

Re: Cheese crimes
Board: Cheese!
Reply to: #732882 by karmakat
Sep 24, 2012 6:45pm
Thread
Being from New York State, I can attest that they have wonderful cheese.... I was unaware of the price difference!!!! I wonder if they take the currency exchange difference into account!!!!!

I think this article is a hoot, thanks for sharing!

Wendy
Re: Cheese crimes
Reply to: #732882 by karmakat
Sep 26, 2012 9:03am
Thread
"The cheese bandits, the mozzarella mafia!"

What an amazing article! Thanks for sharing.

KuKu
PepperJack for mac & cheese?
Jan 11, 2013 3:45am
Thread
I use pepperjack for grill cheese sammiches, (yeah, I said sammich).
Will it hold up to baking? Mmmmm, Cabot pepperjack, is there anything better?
Re: PepperJack for mac & cheese?
Reply to: #753374 by Grrly Girl
Jan 11, 2013 1:26pm
Thread
Oh, yum!

KuKu
Reply to: #753374 by Grrly Girl
Jan 13, 2013 9:20am
Thread
I've used Brie for a grilled cheese.

Shiloh
Reply to: #753825 by shiloh
Jan 13, 2013 7:55pm
Thread
OOOhhhh, brie and jam.... yum!!
Cheese Bar
Jul 13, 2013 10:05pm
Thread
Introduced Sir MOOB to the Cheese Bar tonight. What fun! Anyone near Portland needs to make a pilgrimage!
Re: Cheese Bar
Reply to: #789777 by Mighty Oaks of Barlow
Jul 15, 2013 9:08am
Thread
Agree! Yumminess prevails there!

I finally went there for my birthday last November.

Red Fox and I went a couple of weeks ago on a Thursday evening. Did you know they have wine tastings every Thursday night?

I get their emails about it every week. During the school year, I have church choir rehearsal, so I finally made it out once this summer.

KuKu
The art of the chart - for KuKu
Oct 4, 2013 8:31am
Thread
Re: The art of the chart - for KuKu
Reply to: #808844 by Mr. TWHL
Oct 7, 2013 9:21pm
Thread
Ohmigawsh, that is so amazing!

My birthday is Nov. 2. Just saying . . .

Seriously, I need to order that. Thanks!!!

KuKu
Unexpected cheddar
Apr 4, 2014 4:16pm
Thread
So, I had the chance to go to Trader Joe's the other day. This does not happen often because it is a major pain to get to and it has one of the smallest, fullest parking lots ever. But I made it, and when I do, I always grab a random cheese. This visit-Unexpected cheddar. I AM IN LOVE! Let's take two of my favorite cheeses and make them into one glorious block of cheese.

Herein lies the problem. I will soon be out and wanting more. Does anyone know of any other cheese that is even remotely similar to this that I might be able to find elsewhere? I really can't face the drive to Trader Joe's again so soon.
Re: Unexpected cheddar
Reply to: #839250 by karmakat
Apr 4, 2014 4:21pm
Thread
Ha ha. I saw unexpected cheddar and thought you won some cash!! What kind of cheddar was it? Irish, truffle?? I adore their truffle cheddar and bought that by accident recently when looking for their italian truffle cheese and getting impatient when some lady in front of me had the compulsive disorder of having to pick up every type if cheese and look at it closer while I already thought I knew what I wanted. I just saw truffle and grabbed. Thank you miserable to please in front of me lady!! Wait, that wasn't you, was it??
Apr 4, 2014 4:54pm
Thread
Ha, wife is at Trader Joes right now. Unexpected cheddar was suggested to me, so she's buying some. Now I haven't tried it yet but the description online sounds similar to Colliers we usually buy. A very tangy and sharp cheddar that crumbles when you cut it.
Reply to: #839252 by Raven
Apr 4, 2014 5:16pm
Thread
Unexpected cheddar is some strange, wonderful hybrid of cheddar cheese that tastes like Parmesan. Superb. And no, I was not the lady in front of you. I usually only get about three cheeses in before I find one I want to try, so I don't need to pick up the rest of them. And this time, it only took one. :)
Apr 5, 2014 12:11pm
Thread
I made some of my own "Truffle Cheese" this year. I was able to purchase some Oregon Black truffles from a local mushroom picker and have been using them in everything creamy. At Grocery Outlet their cheese of the week was "Honey Buzz Chevre". I had never tried a hard goat cheese before ~ only the spreadable soft type so bought a wedge. I wrap a small piece of truffle in a square of paper towel and stick it into a small ziplock bag with the whole wedge of cheese removing as much air as possible. Leaving the truffle in for about a week allows all the truffle flavor to infuse the cheese (you can do this with a cube of butter also). It was exceptional and when it was gone all the cheeses I ate tasted flat. So I went and bought 5 more wedges and they are co-habitating with some truffles right now. Stock up on what you like because you can freeze cheese and have more whenever you like.

H-A-F
Apr 5, 2014 2:14pm
Thread
We also LOVE Unexpected Cheddar!!!! Sadly, we have not found another cheese like it. . . the mix of two different textures. . . the amazing flavor. . . . DANG IT - now I have to go to Trader Joes.
Reply to: #839401 by Sleeps In Socks
Apr 5, 2014 3:45pm
Thread
Grab a hunk (of cheese) for me, Sleeps. It sounds oh so tasty.
Apr 8, 2014 8:37am
Thread
some lady in front of me had the compulsive disorder of having to pick up every type if cheese and look at it closer

Sorry! I like to check the expiration date, ingredients, and sometimes it is just indecisiveness.
Ricottaaaaaah :)
Feb 15, 2016 6:00pm
Thread
Made ricotta today :) Different recipe than we had been using. THIS WAS SO EASY! 3 ingredients: 1/2 and 1/2 (we always wind up with an excess...long story), salt, and lemon juice. add ingredients together, heat/stir/watch...at certain temps check...=ricotta!(and delicious if I might say so myself :) ) Has anyone else gotten into making cheese? and what kind? we are still very new-this was our 3rd batch. Has anyone gotten into hard cheeses? and/or more complicated? How did it go?
Re: Ricottaaaaaah :)
Reply to: #920354 by PeaceLovePiano and Mom
Feb 15, 2016 10:14pm
Thread
Great! Never made cheese, but your post has piqued my curiosity.
Reply to: #920354 by PeaceLovePiano and Mom
Feb 21, 2016 10:37am
Thread
I've made Mozzarella. I want to make other cheeses but I don't yet have a cheese cave.

Shiloh
Reply to: #920694 by shiloh
Feb 21, 2016 2:42pm
Thread
What I wouldn't give for a cheese cave. . .

Oh and cheese elves which came and made cheese at night while I slept.
Reply to: #920716 by Sleeps In Socks
Feb 21, 2016 4:12pm
Thread
Hey birthday girl!!?? I would have thought your uncle was cheesy enough??!! Hugs!!
Reply to: #920721 by Public Hand
Feb 21, 2016 6:52pm
Thread
Well yes, but I still want cheese elves who make new cheese each night while I sleep. Who wouldn't????
Olympic hacks
Aug 16, 2016 3:35pm
Thread
I was perusing a bunch of weird recovery hacks for Olympic athletes besides the cupping. I came across this one:

Sure, eating a block of cheese gives you a boost of vitamins and minerals, so why wouldn’t it work as a recovery technique? Think again. Former FIFA coach Felix Magath encouraged players to strap cheese on their legs for a speedy recovery. Olympic skier Lindsey Vonn also uses this approach by rubbing a soft, Austrian cheese called topfen on her shins.

http://living.alot.com/entertainment/10-sports-recovery-hacks-that-are-weirder-than-cupping--12005?s=4

Oooookaaaay.

KuKu
Re: Olympic hacks
Reply to: #933044 by KuKu
Aug 16, 2016 3:53pm
Thread
Olympic skier Lindsey Vonn also uses this approach by rubbing a soft, Austrian cheese called topfen on her shins.

So, if I have "Cottage Cheese Thighs", I could be mistaken for an Olympic Athlete? Cool!!
Halloween Spider cheese ball
Oct 30, 2019 11:07am
Thread
Grrly Girl shared this on a different post to me.

Great idea for Halloween!

https://www.landolakes.com/recipe/20053/spider-cheese-ball/

KuKu
Re: Halloween Spider cheese ball
Reply to: #980713 by KuKu
Oct 30, 2019 12:58pm
Thread
My daughter would freak. She screamed and ran when she saw my fingernails with tiny tiny spiders on them.
Reply to: #980714 by Topcollector
Oct 30, 2019 2:34pm
Thread
Ooh a fellow nail art fan! *waves* I'm not much into seasonal nails, but I do love nail art.
Reply to: #980717 by coldsnap
Oct 31, 2019 8:23am
Thread
This is my first time. Found some cheap stick-on ones at Walgreens. Makes it kind of hard to type at work when I'm not used to having any nails.