A Letterboxing Community

Search Edit Search

Read Board: It's Politics as Usual

Baucus' proposal
Board: It's Politics as Usual
Sep 30, 2009 4:14am
Baucus' proposal contains 'hidden consequences'
Jim Brown - OneNewsNow - 9/29/2009 7:40:00 AM
A healthcare expert says the healthcare bill drafted by Senate Finance Committee Chairman Max Baucus (D-Montana) creates new taxes and cuts to the Medicare program to reduce the cost to the federal government, but does nothing to reduce the cost of healthcare in the family budget.

The Wall Street Journal says the Baucus bill would break all 50 state budgets by permanently expanding Medicaid, the joint state-federal program for the poor. The bill would for the first time make Medicaid available to childless adults and also extend healthcare insurance subsidies to people up to 400 percent of the federal poverty level.

Under the senator's plan -- known as "America's Healthy Future Act" -- individuals who fail to pay the $1,900 fee for not buying health insurance could be charged with a misdemeanor and face up to a year in jail or a $25,000 fine.

Dennis Smith is a senior fellow in healthcare reform at The Heritage Foundation's Center for Health Policy Studies. He says that penalty is just one of the many "hidden, unknown consequences" in the legislation.

"We've been warning about this for some time of how intrusive the federal government is going to become in all of this," he states. "Obviously when you have a mandate, you have to enforce that mandate."

Smith says expanding the current Medicaid entitlement is irresponsible. As he points out, states cannot afford the existing Medicaid program.

"Congress earlier this year had to bail out the states to the tune of $87 billion over a two-year period," he notes. "[So] it makes no sense when you know the current program is unsustainable to add another 11 [million] to 15 million more people into the Medicaid program."

Smith notes that although the Baucus bill does not contain a public health insurance option, an amendment for one will be offered today in the Finance Committee -- and if that public option amendment is not approved in committee, he expects it will be offered on the Senate floor as well.

As originally introduced in mid-September, the America's Healthy Future Act carries a price tag of $856 billion -- but "will not add to the federal deficit," states a press release from Baucus' office.

There are several important points in this article, but my focus is the underlined portion. Is this how the new proposed healthcare "will not add to the federal deficit"?
Post office + Unions = Millions
Oct 3, 2009 7:56pm
Thread
Paid to Do Nothing.
Makes you wonder who should be running our postal system.
.......maybe it’s time for a private run postal system.
Re: Post office + Unions = Millions
Reply to: #447348 by buttercup
Oct 3, 2009 8:31pm
Thread
Makes you wonder who should be running our postal system.
.......maybe it’s time for a private run postal system.

Private companies have issues with unions as well, so I'm not sure how that would help matters in this case. Unions are generally happy to run businesses into the ground--just so long as their members can't be laid off for almost any reason at all.

-- Ryan
Re: Post office + Unions = Millions
Reply to: #447360 by Green Tortuga
Oct 3, 2009 8:41pm
Thread
Unions are generally happy to run businesses into the ground--just so long as their members can't be laid off for almost any reason at all.

I have to agree with you here. Maybe the real question should be, should the union's roles and powers be redefined, and their relevance to today's needs be made more current.
Don't fall asleep!
Oct 31, 2009 6:21am
FYI

Chambliss discusses the shortcomings of the Finance Committee's heath care bill, as well as the provisions he believes any reform of the health care system should include. (There is a few seconds of static towards the end of the broadcast, but continue watching - it clears.) This ends with the beginning of the opening statements of the senator from Iowa, also pertinent.
Very excited this morning
Nov 3, 2010 11:28am
Thread
I was very excited this morning to give my daughter a bit of a politics lesson this morning. If you look at the senate, it is pretty evenly split. There is no way every one can just "vote their party". Nothing would get passed, they are actually going to have to do some thinking.
Re: Very excited this morning
Reply to: #560765 by Alaska hsm
Nov 3, 2010 2:47pm
Thread
Or more likely they will continue to do absolutely nothing productive. The entire senate is the problem with our system. It was never intended to be a life time job, but something you did part time while still being a regular citizen. They are a autocracy of 100 people which is the not so invisible gorilla in the room.

Unless there are term limits imposed on the Senate nothing will ever change!
Reply to: #560765 by Alaska hsm
Nov 3, 2010 4:18pm
Thread
There is no way every one can just "vote their party". Nothing would get passed

Which changes things.... how? =)

But seriously, I'll probably be in the minority here, but I think "we the people" expect too much from our politicians. We expect them to fix very difficult problems that simply have no easy solutions. After all, if the solutions were easy, they'd have already been done! The one's we are left with are difficult problems that can't be solved.

I look at our state. Everybody wants more money for education, public safety, yadda, yadda, yadda. And what do they do? They vote down pretty much all of the tax increases that could have paid for it. Somehow, we expect politicians to increase services, cut class sizes, and "invest" in the future, but then we won't give them any money to make that happen.

If a politician votes to increase taxes, they get slammed by their opponents for increasing taxes. If they votes to cut funding to education, health care, or whatever, they get slammed for cutting important services. Talk about a lose-lose situation.

But then, they kind of bring it on themselves too with all of those attack ads and promises they'll never be able to keep. They have to make pie-in-the-sky promises to get elected, and they'll always come up short because there just aren't any pies in the sky.

Another equally annoying problem (I think, at least)--if politicians do nothing, they get blamed for "doing nothing." If they actually try to change something (health care, as a recent example), they get blamed for "doing something." People, as a general rule of thumb, hate change. If they dare try to tinker with something, it's going to hurt their ability to get votes. We want change, but then complain when it happens.

It even works that way on a much smaller scale. LbNA had a contest once upon to a time to "redesign" the website. It looks the same today as it did over ten years ago, and a lot of people complain that the site never gets updated or improved. But then when a contest for a new design comes out, everyone is coming out of the woodwork saying it should keep the "old world" look. So yes, change it--but don't, not really, at least--only superficial changes.

So I kind of feel sorry for a lot of politicians. But at the same time, they bring it on themselves too. Democracy at it's best. *shrug*

-- Ryan
Reply to: #560910 by Green Tortuga
Nov 4, 2010 3:13am
Thread
Your reply supports my contentions of term liimits being required. None of the things you mention about blame would be important if politicians job number one wasn't getting re-elected. It is about maintaining power and position not doing what is best for the country. That leads to deals with lobby groups (lawyers, insurance companies, business PACs) who want to keep status quo on major issues (health care being the prime example) and continue to line their pockets.

People, as a general rule of thumb, hate change

No one likes change except babies and then it still is a messy situation.
Reply to: #560910 by Green Tortuga
Nov 8, 2010 8:28am
Thread
We want change, but then complain when it happens.

I'll agree with the tack that voters are inconsistent.

I've got this new job as a phone survey taker. One of the surveys I was working on was about Healthcare reform. Almost all of the people I talked with were opposed to the changes to healthcare. But then when I asked them the question, "do you think health care is a basic human right?" The same people strongly agreed with that statement.

I'm not sure how I feel about health care. But if you feel that it is a basic human right and that everyone is entitled to health care, how is everyone going to have health care without the government making sure that all the players play fair to achieve the goal of universal coverage?
Ron Paul 2012
Apr 12, 2011 9:37pm
Thread
I really hope he runs.
Re: Ron Paul 2012
Reply to: #599241 by Alaska hsm
Apr 13, 2011 5:55am
Thread
I'd rather see one of the Smothers brothers!
Re: Ron Paul 2012
Reply to: #599241 by Alaska hsm
Apr 13, 2011 9:13pm
Thread
I hope he runs too... as an independent and maybe he'll pull votes away from the GOP. LOL

Not that I'll vote for Obama. I'm really hoping MItt Romney will run.
Clemens Congress
Jul 16, 2011 8:46pm
So can we clarify why Roger Clemens or anyone else can be charged with perjury for lying to a Congressional Committee. The Congress is the legislative branch which makes laws, not enforcing them. Their hearings are not trials but requests of Congress to give input that should be used to inform the group about how to enact laws.

Why Congress had hearings on steroid use in a professional sport which is already an illegal monopoly is amazing.

If lying on the record is perjury, who in Congress couldn't be on trial for lying?

Waste of time and money to have the hearings in the first place and even a bigger waste to prosecute. Of course it is gross negligence for the procescutors to blatantly ignore the judge. Another example of how the feds think that rules just don't apply to them.

Then again why in the world would a judge rule any witness as off limits????????????
It is almost time....
Feb 5, 2012 8:44am
Thread
...here we go again!
ALL the BS is soon to fire up! Please make sure you vote! :) T
Re: It is almost time....
Reply to: #674085 by T REX
Feb 5, 2012 9:06am
Thread
Please make sure you vote!

Only if you are going to be an educated voter and know who you are voting for.
Reply to: #674087 by Cyclonic
Feb 5, 2012 9:21am
Thread
I knew if I put the bait out there... you would come Cyclonic...but you are correct sir...:)
Reply to: #674085 by T REX
Feb 5, 2012 12:32pm
Thread
The one that really counts is against seated US Senators. That gang of 100 continue to be the roadblock and unmovable gorilla that impedes any real progress or bipartisanship.

The president may be important (but unless you live in one of the first 7 or 8 states to hold elections) the primaries are worthless for the rest of us.
VOTE early and often!
Nov 5, 2013 9:58am
An odd off year gubernatorial election or two and the Mayor of NYC.

Amazing as Virginia is changing to a Democratic state, West Virginia is flipping to Republican. Most be all of those VA reps moving in to WV's eastern panhandle for the cheaper tax base.
Inauguration Day Thoughts?
Jan 20, 2017 10:04am
Thread
It looks like there hasn't been a post in here for over three years.

Anyone want to sound off on today's inauguration?
Re: Inauguration Day Thoughts?
Reply to: #940880 by IrishRef
Jan 20, 2017 2:27pm
Thread
You wouldn't want to hear my furious mood.
Re: Inauguration Day Thoughts?
Reply to: #940880 by IrishRef
Jan 22, 2017 10:52am
Thread
Inauguration? What inauguration? Has their been some political stuff going on that I have not been paying attention to? :-)
Mid-Term Elections
Nov 5, 2018 3:02pm
Remember tomorrow to vote early and often.
Doublethink!
Oct 24, 2019 5:18pm
Thread
Read or re-read 1984 sometime soon. Definitely an ideal Trumpian Society.
Re: Doublethink!
Reply to: #980540 by IrishRef
Oct 24, 2019 11:56pm
Thread
Can you really put "Trump" and "think" in the same sentence?
Reply to: #980541 by Public Hand
Oct 25, 2019 3:46am
Thread
.. .. .. C.. ..
.. .. .. A .. ..
T H I N K
R .. .. N .. ..
U .. .. O .. ..
M U L T I P O L A R I T Y
P .. .. .. .. ..
Oct 25, 2019 4:47am
Thread
A few months ago, I was doing yardwork when a car drove by and the driver yelled "liberals suck!" at me before he sped away. I guess my Hate Has No Home Here yard sign, with American flags on either side of it, made him angry. 😔

I'm really hoping that we Americans can talk to each other without suspicion and hatred someday.
Reply to: #980545 by Rocklun
Oct 25, 2019 4:58am
Thread
As much as I would love to see those days return I fear they are long past.
Reply to: #980546 by Sagacorn
Oct 25, 2019 5:17am
Thread
I hope you're wrong, but I fear that you're right.

Just because two people disagree politically, it doesn't mean either person is "bad." We as a nation really need to talk more and to look at what we have in common. In these divisive times, that's not an easy thing to do, but it sure beats the alternative.

Just my .02.
Oct 25, 2019 6:38am
Thread
Regardless of your political leanings...

You are not to be so blind with patriotism that you can’t face reality. Wrong is wrong no matter who does or says it.