A Letterboxing Community

Search Edit Search

Read Board: Off Topic, Wildly

Re: Heads up, free HBO week!
Board: Off Topic, Wildly
Reply to: #974190 by Kirbert
Apr 15, 2019 9:44pm
Thread
I just got an email from my brother this morning. He watched Episode 1 of Season 8 last night. He says it was *awful*.

I dunno... any episode that features Ed Sheeran's face being melted by a dragon can't be ALL bad...
Eagles, eagles, eagles! (and you can watch)
Apr 16, 2019 5:05pm
Thread
From USA Today:

The two males, Valor I and Valor II, assist the female, Starr, "in nest maintenance, incubation and raising the young" in Illinois near the Mississippi River, according to the Stewards of the Upper Mississippi River Refuge.

The family is nontraditional, but established after a history of death and drama.

They eagles have been documented as nesting together since 2017. Starr laid her first eggs in September 2018 with support of the two males. Both eggs hatched, and one of the eaglets successfully fledged, or left the nest. The other fledgling died from unknown causes.

The history of how these birds became a feathered family is a soap opera of sorts.

Here's a fun fact — the two dads were a family unit first. Because before there was Starr, there was the female Hope. But Hope was injured by other birds in March 2017 and never returned to the nest. That just left Valor I and Valor II, who had shared a nest with Hope.

LINK TO LIVE CAMERA!
Re: Eagles, eagles, eagles! (and you can watch)
Reply to: #974249 by DarkZen and Evil Cow Pie
Apr 17, 2019 2:35am
Thread
Did Hope survive? Of she did not return to the nest, where did she go? I am vested now. Do not leave me hanging! Also, what other kinds of birds injure eagles?
Re: Heads up, free HBO week!
Reply to: #974219 by wassamatta u
Apr 19, 2019 2:53pm
Thread
In a nutshell....

https://comicbook.com/tv-shows/2019/04/19/ed-sheeran-game-of-thrones-still-alive-despite-injuries/

lol

Oh....it's not about him.....that would be bad....so very bad. Bad.
Wooden eggs
Apr 21, 2019 3:26am
Thread
There is going to be an Easter Egg hunt for adults for wooden artist decorated eggs in a large field that has sculptures in it. Wonder if I have a chance of finding any??
Re: Wooden eggs
Reply to: #974402 by Elle
Apr 21, 2019 11:43am
Thread
That seems fun and creative. Keep us posted.
Please vote for my 4-H daughter's piggy bank
Apr 23, 2019 3:20pm
Thread
My daughter is in 4H and every year they do a piggy bank competition. The way the online voting is set up, you can vote over and over and over. All day long. In 2 days, there are kids that have over 4,000 votes. If you happen to be bored and would like to see a young letterboxer win first place in a piggy bank competition, here's your chance :-) She is in the 6-8th grade division, and her name is Gwendolyn. There are two Plinko banks but hers is the one with thumbtacks flames painted on it. And thanks!!!!
-crosscresent

http://voteforthepig.tennessee.edu/
Re: Please vote for my 4-H daughter's piggy bank
Reply to: #974475 by crosscresent
Apr 23, 2019 3:40pm
Thread
I voted for her. :)
Reply to: #974475 by crosscresent
Apr 23, 2019 7:14pm
Thread
We voted a couple of times. How on Earth did those people get five or six thousand votes when most of the children have seven or eight votes??
Reply to: #974482 by RDHG
Apr 23, 2019 7:34pm
Thread
How on Earth did those people get five or six thousand votes when most of the children have seven or eight votes??

Russians!
Reply to: #974482 by RDHG
Apr 24, 2019 3:47am
Thread
that's how we realized this has nothing to do with the piggy banks. It has to do with who has the most friends with a lot of time on their hands :-(
Reply to: #974413 by RDHG
Apr 28, 2019 2:37pm
Thread
Keep us posted.

Found 3 eggs. Had a wonderful time looking for them in a large field. Enjoyed walking around and looking at the sculptures afterwards.
Reply to: #974703 by Elle
May 1, 2019 5:54am
Thread
Neat! It seems like that was a unique experience.
Its a yummy day....
May 1, 2019 7:46am
Thread
So Happy National Chocolate Parfait Day!!!
Re: Its a yummy day....
Reply to: #974796 by a knitwit
May 1, 2019 2:48pm
Thread
My calendar says it's Phone In Sick Day. So phone in sick and stay home eating chocolate parfaits! :D

TG
Reply to: #974806 by Trekkie Gal
May 1, 2019 6:41pm
Thread
My calendar says it's Phone In Sick Day.

If Ryan phones in sick, maybe it will also be a WassaQuest Day...
Reply to: #974806 by Trekkie Gal
May 2, 2019 6:37am
Thread
So it was the best of both worlds!!
Re: Wrong impressions...
Reply to: #949232 by Gremlands
May 5, 2019 3:59pm
Thread
I know this post was nearly two years ago, and you might not even be on here anymore, but just in case I wanted to say thank you.

This explains a lot of dissonance that I feel in interactions with certain family members and I've returned to it several times for support.
Re: Wrong impressions...
Reply to: #974886 by Uncorny Acorns
May 5, 2019 7:54pm
Thread
I’m glad it’s helped you cope with difficult family members. You are most welcome and thank you for telling me. It nice to know I may have actually done something good in my life. :)
Naked Paul....Quartzsite, Az.
May 9, 2019 12:29pm
It's with sad heart that I post that Naked Paul has passed. Anyone that's gotten the letterbox at Quartzsite "Bare Essentials" will remember Paul.
He was the kindest, funniest and most talented honky tonk singer/player around as well as bookstore owner.
https://www.parkerpioneer.net/news/article_247633ba-71b1-11e9-980d-2b84999892e7.html
~SD~
Harriet Tubman
May 30, 2019 5:12pm
Thread
There has been a bit of chatter about people carving Harriet Tubman stamps to go on the $20 bill to protest the recent delay to her going on the $20. A few boxers have already started working on versions of a stamp. If anyone is interested in carving their own, feel free to message me your email and I can send you my edit.
Re: Harriet Tubman
Reply to: #975703 by LROSEM
May 30, 2019 8:39pm
Thread
There has been a bit of chatter about people carving Harriet Tubman stamps to go on the $20 bill to protest the recent delay to her going on the $20.

You know, Alexander Hamilton was going to be replaced on the $10 bill until someone made him famous again.
Oh, GT...
Jul 2, 2019 8:33am
“Lindsay Lohan, actress, friend/co-star of Green Tortuga, 33”... lol

Ridiculousness. Shenanigans. I love it. lol
I have a question about totem poles.
Jul 11, 2019 1:34pm
Thread
I cannot so far find a clear answer. My daughter claims that the wooden Dracula head statue in her room is a totem pole. I say it cannot be as a totem pole depict totemS (plural).

Does anyone know?

Thanks.
Re: I have a question about totem poles.
Reply to: #977172 by crosscresent
Jul 11, 2019 1:46pm
Thread
Most definitions of a totem pole point to Native Americans of the northwest regions, and carvings are related to the family or clan it represents.

So, IMHO, no, her carving of Dracula would not qualify, since Dracula is of European origin.
Reply to: #977172 by crosscresent
Jul 11, 2019 1:47pm
Thread
A Pastafarian is asking?
Reply to: #977174 by Kirbert
Jul 11, 2019 2:10pm
Thread
When it suits her.

But, according to her it's a tiki face. I'd have to go in her room to see for sure but she's being a pain right now.
Reply to: #977175 by crosscresent
Jul 11, 2019 2:26pm
Thread
But, according to her it's a tiki face.

Okay, now "Tiki" relates to Polynesian cultures, which is totally different than Pacific Northwest.

How old is your daughter?
Reply to: #977176 by JampersandJ
Jul 12, 2019 7:31pm
Thread
She's 13. But she just admitted that she was being a pain. She likes to drive me crazy.
Reply to: #977176 by JampersandJ
Jul 12, 2019 7:33pm
Thread
I Googled tiki poles and everything came up as tiki totem poles