A Letterboxing Community

Search Edit Search

Read Board: Off Topic, Wildly

Re: Can Anyone Identify?
Board: Off Topic, Wildly
Reply to: #837346 by artboy
Mar 28, 2014 10:21am
Thread
Looks like "Popcorn Popping on the Apricot Tree". Chinese Tallow or Popcorn Tree

I had never heard of a popcorn or a Chinese Tallow tree until this thread but was just reading the trail descriptions at Skidaway Island State Park in Savannah and saw this:

Connector Trail
This connects both the Sandpiper and Avian Loop trails to the Big Ferry Trail and takes you through our unwanted Chinese Tallow forest. Also known as “popcorn trees,” these highly invasive plants have taken over this area of the park. Efforts have begun in killing this toxic tree and returning the forest to its natural state.
Reply to: #837963 by Scooters Mom
Mar 28, 2014 4:20pm
Thread
I had never heard of a popcorn or a Chinese Tallow tree until this thread [....]

I hadn't either. However, your information led to me looking it up on Wikipedia. Here are some relevant parts of the article:

The plant sap and leaves are reputed to be toxic, and decaying leaves from the plant are toxic to other species of plant. [...] It is useful in the production of biodiesel because it is the third most productive vegetable oil producing crop in the world, after algae and oil palm. This species is considered to be a noxious invader in parts of the southern U.S.

So, somewhat useful but overall a pest to be eliminated, at least from the U.S.
Reply to: #838030 by Oberon_Kenobi
Mar 29, 2014 2:42am
Thread
So, somewhat useful but overall a pest to be eliminated, at least from the U.S.

Along with that you can take the English Sparrows and Starlings. I'm currently trying to keep the English Sparrows from taking over my Bluebird birdhouse.
Reply to: #838119 by Elle
Mar 29, 2014 9:37am
Thread
Along with that you can take the English Sparrows and Starlings.

And the magpies. Beautiful birds, but they eat the baby quail. They don't even have a pretty song, just a squawk.
put down your coffee before watching
Apr 2, 2014 5:00am
Thread
Re: put down your coffee before watching
Reply to: #838800 by Grrly Girl
Apr 2, 2014 5:19am
Thread
holy cannoli!!! Thats a heart racer first thing in the morning!!!!
Apr 2, 2014 6:27am
Thread
Wow!!!!!!!!!!
Apr 2, 2014 8:51am
Thread
Oh! those were incredible.....

~Aurora
Apr 2, 2014 9:15am
Thread
(*#(*$&@(*#$&_!@_%)~$)(&#*(%&(*$^!*@$_)!@(#_)!)!^(%&^

Those were gut wrenching. That was just the pick-me-up I needed to get back into study mode. Thanks!
Reply to: #838864 by tigerlilly
Apr 2, 2014 9:37am
Thread
Good thing we're relying on some of those people to propagate the human species.
Never discount dumb luck as a way to get through life.
Apr 2, 2014 11:08am
Thread
Yikes! I was struck (hmm, maybe not the best choice of word there) by how many were at zebra crossings. I can understand why LA got rid of theirs because they lulled pedestrians into a false sense of security.
Apr 2, 2014 12:05pm
Thread
I am building a blanket fort in my room and never leaving the house again! Send pizza and money!
Apr 2, 2014 2:16pm
Thread
I had one of those instances when I was a teenager. I was walking home from school and standing next to one of the walk signal buttons waiting to cross, when I heard screeching. I turned and saw a truck coming right at me, I was rooted to the spot when "someone" pushed me out of the way right before the truck crashed into the pole I was standing next to. I looked around and there was no one there that pushed me.
what? MOVING WOES. :(
Apr 7, 2014 9:58am
Thread
We went for our walk thru today, suppose to move tomorrow, and guess what!!! Not only has the owner completely trashed the place, she hasn't even started packing!!!!!!
She had it beautiful when we bought it. Now there are stains all over the carpet, spilled stuff in the fridge, and an odor that was NOT there. Ugh. We have everything scheduled. Now what!?
Re: what? MOVING WOES. :(
Reply to: #839689 by crosscresent
Apr 7, 2014 10:13am
Thread
Was your real estate agent present at the walkthrough? Are the people in the house renters or the owners?? The owners should be contacted by your agent if the owners do not live there. You should insist on a second walkthrough right before the closing to be sure the mess has been taken care of. Or demand financial restitution to have it professionally cleaned. If you go that way, be sure that they have the payment to give you before you sign any closing documents.
Reply to: #839691 by The Vs
Apr 7, 2014 10:32am
Thread
I would definitely put a halt to signing any paperwork until you've had a second walk through with both the selling agent and your agent. I would ask for the seller to pay for a thorough professional cleaning including a carpet cleaner.

BB
Apr 7, 2014 10:37am
Thread
we stood in the doorway, and realized that we could not do any kind of walk through. I don't know where all of the stuff came from. When we walked in the first time and bought the place right away, it was because it was beautiful and completely move in ready. We actually thought we had walked into the wrong condo. The agent couldn't believe what she was seeing. And I have a certain date that I have to be out of my current living situation. I'm just overwhelmed, & I want to cry. I know it's not the end of the world. I'm really sick of eating bologna sandwiches. Meanwhile, she's completely living as if she's never going to move.
or agent scheduled another walkthrough for tomorrow morning. Which makes absolutely no sense to me because there's no way she can pack all of that stuff over night.I'm just really frustrated and scared.
Reply to: #839689 by crosscresent
Apr 7, 2014 10:37am
Thread
I thought you were moving on Thursday?? DO NOT SIGN ANYTHING until it gets fixed according to YOUR wishes!

Good luck!

HUGS,
CC
Reply to: #839695 by crosscresent
Apr 7, 2014 10:55am
Thread
Was the woman there? Did she have ANY explanation?

How long do you have on your current place? Maybe part of the "deal" will have to be her putting you up in a hotel until she is out of your new place AND paying for putting your things in a storage facility. All kinds of things have been and can be put into real estate deals. So, again, do NOT sign anything until you are satisfied.

I wish I lived closer to you so I could do something to help. But I can offer my services with moving boxes.
Reply to: #839704 by Colorful Caterpillars
Apr 7, 2014 11:09am
Thread
originally, yeah, it was going to be on Thursday. But the closing is tomorrow. & I remember the realtor saying that we could get the keys at closing. So this whole time I've had in my mind that we can start moving in tomorrow evening. I understand totally if we cant start moving in till Thursday. But now somehow she is under the impression that she doesn't have to move out until the 11th. I'm totally freaking.

the problem with not signing anything else, is that if we change anything, then she can back out of the whole thing. she has made it very apparent that she wishes she had never put the place up on the market.
I understand that she is young. But that doesn't mean that we should have to worried as much as I'm worrying right now. I don't worry on purpose. I'm just one of those fidgety people
that is startled by a butterfly flitting by. I had a huge panic attack at the furniture store when Mike got angry with the salesman for doing something for somebody else but not us. I thought I was going to pass out.
I need a valium. do they even still make those? how dare they take away our "mommy pills"!
Apr 7, 2014 11:11am
Thread
 the house renters or the owners

She owns it until tomorrow morning. :/
Reply to: #839704 by Colorful Caterpillars
Apr 7, 2014 11:16am
Thread
Hey CC, we were just thinking about you. There are four letterboxes in Byrdstown Tennessee. and you have not found them yet. And Mike has a little boat. We got to go to pilot Island last summer and get that box. Its a parachute one tee hee hee. maybe sometime this summer we can get together around there. Hit up that island. swim in the lake. Hide some more boxes in some of those places. Byrdstown is beautiful.
Reply to: #839710 by crosscresent
Apr 7, 2014 12:16pm
Thread
the problem with not signing anything else, is that if we change anything, then she can back out of the whole thing. she has made it very apparent that she wishes she had never put the place up on the market.

Is there anything in your purchase agreement that would allow her to back out? I'm guessing probably not. I totally agree with everyone else, DO NOT close on this house until you are able to do a complete walk-through and know for sure that everything is in the condition that it was in when you signed the purchase agreement. You may have years of problems if you go ahead with it. Your real estate agent may or may not have your best interest at heart...remember he/she does not receive commission until you close. What is your agent recommending you do?
Reply to: #839725 by Lovebirds-NC
Apr 7, 2014 1:04pm
Thread
And here is a helpful article about the walk-through process The place should be completely vacant and empty of the seller's belongings before you close and take possession of it. Sending up prayers for you...
Re: what
Reply to: #839743 by System
Apr 7, 2014 1:17pm
Thread
wolves12/Dolphin Dreamers.....Is that you ?
Reply to: #839743 by System
Apr 7, 2014 1:22pm
Thread
I don't even know what that feeling would be like. I've felt awkward before, but never akward.

TG
Reply to: #839746 by turkey feathers
Apr 7, 2014 1:22pm
Thread
Judging by reading "between the lines" of the previous message, I don't think its DD.

EE101, its great that you're new here. Just please respect the boards. If you have any questions, feel free to ask and we can point you in the right direction. And check out Best practices on the boards. ;)
Reply to: #839713 by crosscresent
Apr 7, 2014 1:46pm
Thread
That sounds great. As much as I box, I still have so many areas of this state I need to get to!! But for me, I gotta be able to drive somewhere, box all day, then drive home safely the same day. I cannot stay in hotels. So, places like Memphis and Jackson are a little too far right now.

Byrdstown is totally doable, though. I don't know why I haven't gotten up there.

PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE do not go through with this sale until you are completely satisfied. I know it is a scary thing. It is THE major purchase of your life. I did it 6 years ago.... and I did it alone! But, if you sign off on the walk-through without it being completely empty, you may discover MANY more problems she is hiding behind her belongings that you will have to deal with. Your realtor should be working for YOU! Ask her/him flat out if s/he is a buyer's or seller's realtor.

And, I am sorry to say, if it falls through, then maybe you weren't meant to have that place and you need to look a little more. I know that you need to get out of your place, but you really don't want to get INto a long time headache.
Reply to: #839755 by Colorful Caterpillars
Apr 7, 2014 1:50pm
Thread
And, I am sorry to say, if it falls through, then maybe you weren't meant to have that place and you need to look a little more. I know that you need to get out of your place, but you really don't want to get INto a long time headache.

Very true. This may just be the tip of the iceberg as to how well this person took care of the house. So look on the bright side - if its meant to be, it'll happen. If not, it just might be a good thing. Things always work out eventually. Keep your chin up! ;)
Reply to: #839757 by Bubbaloo Magoo
Apr 7, 2014 3:15pm
Thread
I agree! Do not sign any papers until the place is clean as you expected. I hope you had a professional inspection and all issues are resolved. If not, I would not even close on the 11th. Walk away.

The voice of experience with nine closings under my tool belt,

~speedsquare