A Letterboxing Community

Search Edit Search

Read Board: Off Topic, Wildly

Re: Amateur radio
Board: Off Topic, Wildly
Reply to: #727240 by tiggermama
Sep 2, 2012 7:32pm
Thread
Thanks but I'm just starting so I don't have equipment to reach out yet.

Shiloh
Reply to: #727301 by Oberon_Kenobi
Sep 2, 2012 7:34pm
Thread
Same here. I've only got an HT and so far my best antenna is a mag base on my car. I'm mostly curious if there were enough to have our own board.

Shiloh
Reply to: #727581 by shiloh
Sep 2, 2012 7:48pm
Thread
Well, just tell me when you're ready
One Last Day to Enter
Sep 4, 2012 7:21am
Thread
Last chance to enter the sterling silver ring "So Long, Summer" GIVEAWAY on little blog. Winner announced tomorrow!
Re: One Last Day to Enter
Reply to: #727868 by Piper on the Trail
Sep 5, 2012 7:56am
Thread
Congratulations to little blog reader Michelle W!
She won the pretty sterling ring in the So Long, Summer Giveaway!

Thanks for all the terrific comments, the "likes" and shares.
Stay tuned for more great giveaways on little blog. :-D
Stupidest Family Feud question...EVER!
Sep 6, 2012 11:46am
Thread
What do Gandhi and Donald Trump have in common?

Top 4 answers...

(I know what they are...but I want to see what you think.)
Re: Stupidest Family Feud question...EVER!
Reply to: #728514 by Mn8X
Sep 6, 2012 11:56am
Thread

1. Neither had good hair stylists.

2. About as many people love them as those who hate them.

3. There names are synonymous with seeking grander things.

4. Neither could live up to their own words of wisdom.

Just guessing :)

Jeff
Sep 6, 2012 12:01pm
Thread

OK, I'll play:

1. They are male

2. They live a lifestyle few of us share

3. They both proselytized a way of life

4. Their sexual behavior caused problems for them
Reply to: #728518 by FORAYCH
Sep 6, 2012 2:09pm
Thread
1. Neither had good hair stylists.

2. About as many people love them as those who hate them.

3. There names are synonymous with seeking grander things.

4. Neither could live up to their own words of wisdom.

1 out of 4 correct. :)
Reply to: #728519 by 55 Steps
Sep 6, 2012 2:09pm
Thread
1. They are male

2. They live a lifestyle few of us share

3. They both proselytized a way of life

4. Their sexual behavior caused problems for them

And 1 out of 4 correct for you. :)
Sep 6, 2012 2:40pm
Thread
I only thought of male and lived in the 20th century before I got stuck.
Sep 6, 2012 3:33pm
Thread
men
bad hair decisions
have never been in my kitchen
ann margaret!
Reply to: #728559 by Littlemonkey
Sep 6, 2012 4:25pm
Thread
men
bad hair decisions
have never been in my kitchen
ann margaret!

You got 2 out of 4!
Sep 6, 2012 4:27pm
Thread
1 - both male

2 - both go mainly by their last names (Mahatma) Gandhi & (Donald) Trump

3 - both are into politics (non-violent direct action vs. use of paparazzi to attempt to sway politics)

4 - bad hair days
Sep 7, 2012 11:53am
Thread

Top 4 answers...

1) Both have the same Middle Name ("Percival")
2) Both make their own salt (Ghandi from Sea Water, Trump from the tears of fired employees)
3) Both have first names related to feet: Mahatma means "Great Soul". Donald means "Big Heel".
4) Both were, sadly, included as part of the Stupidest Family Feud Question ever.

Do I win?
Reply to: #728809 by wassamatta u
Sep 7, 2012 1:18pm
Thread
1) Both have the same Middle Name ("Percival")
2) Both make their own salt (Ghandi from Sea Water, Trump from the tears of fired employees)
3) Both have first names related to feet: Mahatma means "Great Soul". Donald means "Big Heel".
4) Both were, sadly, included as part of the Stupidest Family Feud Question ever.

Do I win?

Yes! You do!
Your 20,000 AQ points are in the mail. (yes, we know where you live...)
Reply to: #728851 by Mn8X
Sep 7, 2012 1:20pm
Thread
Now the "real" top 4 answers according to Family Feud...

1. The both had hair issues.
2. They are both famous.
3. They are both influential people.
4. They both are men.
Reply to: #728853 by Mn8X
Sep 7, 2012 2:46pm
Thread
And they are both the subject of THIS QUIZ!
Re: How well do you know a penny?
Reply to: #729425 by Bird
Sep 9, 2012 3:18pm
Thread
I know it costs more to make a penny than what it's actually worth.
Believe Canada just nixed them.

Got all but number of columns correctly.
Sep 9, 2012 3:30pm
Thread
Got all but columns right (guessed 13) and couldn't remember what the back said on top. Feel like a bad American for not remembering that!
Sep 9, 2012 4:00pm
Thread
Got all but the columns and the way he faces right. You'd think I'd know it better, since the jar I have of them is my retirement plan!
Sep 9, 2012 6:10pm
Thread
I don't think I've ever really looked at a penny before I squished it. Except to check the date on it.
(I've even got my husband and kids in the habit of saving pre-1982 pennies for me.)
Dr. Who Costume
Sep 14, 2012 7:37am
Thread
My dd was given a netbook to borrow for school this year. She started watching Dr. Who on the sly...I had no idea. I've tried but the walking mannequins were a joke and I just gave it up after that. She recommends I get past the first 3 episodes and then I'll love it.

Anywho, she has requested I make her halloween costume again this year....except this year she wants to be a weeping angel from Dr. Who. Wow, it looks awesome but I'm not that good!

OPH
Re: Dr. Who Costume
Reply to: #730655 by One Particular Harbor
Sep 14, 2012 8:03am
Thread
It might not be as hard as you think. Grey and white body paint, a flowing white/grey robe that you stiffen to make look like stone, fangs and wings. Here's a tutorial on making costume pieces from craft foam that you might be able to use for wings.

Hope this helps. :)
Sep 14, 2012 1:23pm
Thread
I volunteer ar the Columbus Zoo and during Halloween we can dress up and volunteer and we usually get to scare people on the train.

I dressed up as a weeping angel. BEST CHOISE EVER!

http://www.atlasquest.com/gallery/viewphoto.html?gPhotoId=112109

I found the skirt and shirt at the thrift store. I took white gloves and (attempted) to color them gray. I put my hair up in a bun and but this gray neeting stuff over my hair. I used face paint stuff and painted my face as close as I could to the shade of gray my shirt was. Then I took some angel wings, defeathered them, and put on a couple layers of gray paint. I then took fish wire and tied part of the wings to make them stick out rather then sit flat on my back.

It was so funny. My costume could have been WAY better but I didnt have much time. Even though it wasnt the best, if I stood as still as I could people would just walk by me. If I moved or opened my eyes while people are looking at me it would make them jump. I was stuck cleaning tables ans I was leaning against this post looking at all the food stands. I desided to shift positions and one of the conseshion workers almost jumped on the counter. She yelled "I thought she was fake!" it was really funny!

Well, I hope you manage to make a costume! I know im going to try again this year and make it better.

=(^._.^)=
Sep 14, 2012 4:35pm
Thread
Probably a fairly easy costume to make. The weeping angels are stone, and most of the costume will involve flowing robes, and a belt around. The wings should be easy enough. You might even be able to buy costume wings and spray paint them... There is a grey spray paint that simulates stone, I don't remember what it's called, but if you go to a craft store you'll find it.

Way easier that say a Cyberman, or a Dalek (I saw a Dalek at Genericon last year that I thought was a display piece... until I saw it move... a person was sitting inside. Not comfy looking. )

Although still not as easy as The Doctor himself. (I dress as the 4th Doctor, complete with scarf)

--Ringo
Reply to: #730773 by RingoH
Sep 15, 2012 2:30pm
Thread
Although still not as easy as The Doctor himself. (I dress as the 4th Doctor, complete with scarf)

Though the 4th through the 7th are easier recognize by just the costume. The others dress less distinctively and will require hair and makeup.
Reply to: #730942 by Oberon_Kenobi
Sep 15, 2012 2:55pm
Thread
Though the 4th through the 7th are easier recognize by just the costume. The others dress less distinctively and will require hair and makeup.

OOOhhhh.... I would VERY RARELY suggest the 7th Doctor as a costume. The vest is so hard, as is his signature umbrella. I created a "close enough" chart for the vest, and started, but after getting the first set of Question Mark's done (i.e. first full ROW of them... which was about 15 rows of so of knitting... I wasn't happy enough with the results, and have put it away. I MAY still finish it to wear for chuckles but not as part of a costume.... i.e. it may become my "casual Friday" sweater vest... hahaha. I even knit pockets into it.

I'm a really strong knitter... but that pattern is REALLY not for the faint of heart.

The "good news" is that there was an officially approved vest produced with approval from the BBC. It's acctually not even really that close that I would call it good for costume wear. I think there may even have been two different official ones. They are long out of print, but you can find them on eBay. The bad news.... not only do they not look close enough... They are UBER expensive (especially for the quality).

I am tempted to buy a sweater machine (I may just decide it's my birthday present to myself... and ask my wife for $$ for my B-Day to throw at it). I've never used a sweater machine though, and need to do some research... such as... Can I do intarsia patterns? The cost of the machine (if I use one of Michaels 40% off coupons) and yarn would come to roughly what buying the licensed ones do... maybe even LESS! I could do an "afterthough pocket" to get the pockets in it.

The umbrella....
I found a local prop maker who said it would be "about $100"(they would attempt to make it under that, but it's the starting ball park based on the pics I provided) but they could make me one, and it would be sturdy enough for daily use. Otherwise... You've looking at one of three DIY options (all of which are out of my own realms, hence why I asked around).... (and I'm not in a position to spend $100 on an umbrella... unless I want to sleep on the floor). Metal tubing, plastic molding, or wood carving. Any of which you would need to shape to be a question mark, then attatch to an existing black umbrella.

The fourth doctor I would say is "next hardest" because of the scarf. However, the scarf is simple for anyone who knows to knit. Even a beginner. It is just garter stitch, for several hundred (I think a few thousand acctually) rows. It's a boring pattern. But as long as you know at least one knitter in your circle of friends (or are a knitter yourself), the scarf becomes the easiest part of the costume. The rest, jacket, vest, dress pants.... you can gather up at any thrift store.

Nineth through eleventh are pretty darn easy, and trust me... if you are at a con and spot a nineth tenth or eleventh doctor, even without hair and makeup, you can spot them! Tenth, you need the red converse. You spot those under a long jacket and you got a Doctor in your sight. Eleventh, bow tie and suspenders you pretty much have it. (I recommend to anyone trying to be the Eleventh learn to TIE a bow tie, don't get a clip on. Even if you get it sloppy, those of us who know bow ties can tell if you did it on your own or have a clip on... and a sloppy real one is more impressive than a perfect clip). Nineth Doctor is a little harder. If you buy a toy sonic screwdriver though, people will know who you are (once again, people at a con... Halloween in mixed company you'll have some major head scratching).

As soon as I get some cleaning done I'll be going back to work on my Cyberman costume. I hope to finish it for Halloween 2013. It's a pepakura build, and I'll need to fiberglass it all, which I won't be able to do until Spring or Summer. I REALLY wanted to have it for next Genericon (roughly Feb or March), but the fiberglassing, bondo, and painting... well, we live in an apartment. If I'm really lucky (and brave enough to subject myself to summer heat in fiberglass body armor ) I may try to have it wearable by July for Albany ComicCon.

--Ringo
Arthritis?
Sep 17, 2012 3:55pm
Thread
So, no one told me that arthritis knows when you turn 40! Last week, exactly a month after my birthday, the doc told me the strange stiffness and pain in my knuckle was in all likelyhood a touch of arthritis. Thankfully, it's my material holdin' hand, not my gouge holdin' hand! It's really not so painful that I feel I need to take any medication, but I'm curious about other ways people have treated minor pain. Topical treatments, wraps, old folk remedies? I'm open to suggestions!
Re: Arthritis?
Reply to: #731324 by LuLaHe
Sep 17, 2012 5:48pm
Thread
I am going through the same thing - middle finger on right hand, index on left. Carving with FirmKut really irritates it, which is a shame because I love FK. The OZ is better. Knitting is terrible for both hands.

Anti-inflammatories work well if you're going to be working for a long time. Resting them also works. I haven't done anything beyond that because it's still so mild.