Feb 5, 2020 11:16pm
Thread
I’m excited!
Re: 2020 Ladies LTC/craft Retreat in St. Louis
Board: LTC: Tips, Questions, and Stuff
Reply to: #983184 by aMAZEing adventure frog
Feb 6, 2020 8:04am
Thread
I am awaiting info about when my girls are getting together this summer. I'd love to come to St. Louis, but I don't want to miss the family gathering either.
Reply to: #983207 by greenmountainhiker
Feb 6, 2020 8:15am
Thread
Me too!!
Re: Ltc Rant
Reply to: #982891 by aMAZEing adventure frog
Feb 7, 2020 9:29am
Thread
Oops, I zoomed in (😬 admittedly shameless). I see one I recognize well & feel honored. Love the idea of a display board!
Re: Ltc Rant
Reply to: #983242 by Mama Dee
Feb 7, 2020 10:31am
Thread
Me, too! 😉
Embossing Failure
Feb 11, 2020 5:28am
Thread
What are some of the reasons embossing fails when using new heat tool and powder?
Re: Embossing Failure
Reply to: #983358 by Tri-Colored Paws
Feb 11, 2020 5:30am
Thread
What type of embossing ink are you using?
Feb 11, 2020 5:58am
Thread
The ink?
What type of failure is it?
Feb 11, 2020 6:02am
Thread
I've had powders that don't work well. Whispers brand doesn't emboss evenly for me and makes weird snowflake-ish designs in the embossing.

If you heat for too long, or put the heat tool too close, the embossing powder disappears (evaporates or soaks in?). Maybe your heat tool is tool hot?

Some paper doesn't allow for embossing, so regardless of how careful you apply heat, you end up with the same result as heating too long.

Those are my unprofessional, trial-and-error reasons that I've had embossing fail.
Reply to: #983364 by Rebiccola
Feb 11, 2020 7:44am
Thread
Maybe the paper is what happened to mine. I test stamped with black Archival and put clear embossing powder on and the black ink completely disappeared. Couldn't even tell there had been anything stamped.
Feb 11, 2020 8:31am
Thread
The paper and ink combo might be the issue. The ink might be soaking into the paper too fast to grab the powder, so it blows away.

Try glossy paper and pigment ink (like Colorbox). Pigment ink can't soak into glossy and will stay wet unless you emboss.

KuKu
Feb 11, 2020 9:44am
Thread
My bet would be the ink or a combination of ink & powder & paper as others have mentioned. Archival ink dries faster therefore it's not as good as a pigment ink in embossing.
Feb 11, 2020 9:54am
Thread
I'm not sure what the fail was, but I find that the sparkly, coarse-grained embossing powder is far less likely to melt and adhere well than the fine-grained powder.
Reply to: #983376 by Rocklun
Feb 11, 2020 11:38am
Thread
Ink and paper are big factors. I use the Tim Holtz embossing ink pad and my favorite powders are recollections from Michaels. I occasionally use the tear drop inks. Mostly the black for a dark and full embossing.

I even mix the powders in small batches to get the exact color or sheen I want.

Over heating the powder is a problem, but if you have good ink and powder and hold the gun back a bit, you can do great work.

I have also used powder that was older than 5 years and that did not want to emboss evenly. The two embossing powders, for me, that do NOT give good coverage are Zing and TH distress powders! Love the inks, not the powders! LOL

The only paper I have used that didn't emboss well is mulberry paper (tissue like) and some really glossed or pearled cardstock. Vellum embosses really well.
Reply to: #983376 by Rocklun
Feb 12, 2020 5:22am
Thread
Holly, Molly, what a great list! I'm so glad I asked and I hope this list helps others. :)

Paper: Glossy - What type do you mean, like photo paper? Wait, I searched it. Looks like my cardstock maybe part of the problem.

Ink: I knew that was part of the problem but I didn't know how to use two colors without carving two images. So I went with my TomBow and Marvey markers. Last time I tried it was one color and it failed as well. I knew it was more than ink problem.

Heat Tool: Too close? Too long? After almost 30 images and two different heat tools, you would have thought I got ONE right. hmmm

Embossing Powder: Watch for sparkly, coarse-grained. hmmm, what should it look like? What is a good brand. Mine was Hampton Art the second time and something I borrowed from my daughter the first time.

Thank you, thank you, thank you for all your help. I really would like to master this. I love the looks of embossing.
Reply to: #983389 by Tri-Colored Paws
Feb 12, 2020 6:45am
Thread
Markers won't work for embossing. They aren't wet enough to hold the embossing powder until the heat can melt the powder. You could try blending with more than one ink pad.

Or, you could give up the embossing and try a rainbow roll of printmaking ink. You would get solid coverage and you could get more than one color on your stamp. https://youtu.be/ZiLAA6sUR9A
Feb 12, 2020 6:57am
Thread
Paper: Glossy - What type do you mean, like photo paper? Wait, I searched it. Looks like my cardstock maybe part of the problem.

You don't need paper that LOOKS glossy, or photo paper. But the cardstock should be sized/finished so that it is not as absorbent as unfinished (raw) papers such as mulberry. The ink needs sit on the surface to get the powder to stick.

Ink: I knew that was part of the problem but I didn't know how to use two colors without carving two images. So I went with my TomBow and Marvey markers. Last time I tried it was one color and it failed as well. I knew it was more than ink problem.

The inkpad needs to be "juicy" enough to give a wet impression and make the powder stick. It would be very difficult for markers to achieve that result, even if you huff on it. If you really want two colors, you could try Versafine cats-eye size pads, color quickly, and huff well.

As for powder, I have used several with varying results, but I always recommend Lindy's Stamp Gang - "clearly clear". It is by far the best I've used, and I get consistently smooth, even melting.
Appropriation
Feb 15, 2020 10:46am
Thread
How common is it to use a stamp that you didn’t carve? I see that if you do, the carver should be credited on the back of the LTC.
Re: Appropriation
Reply to: #983489 by Flutterby-N-Caterpillar
Feb 15, 2020 1:16pm
Thread
There are many 'teams' of people who will join up for traditional plants because one person is a good carver, another a great logbook (or LTC designer), and maybe another who makes great clues or finds the coolest locations. Specific to LTCs, the design of the card using someone else's stamp is perfectly fine, particularly when the carver is given credit. What can be even more fun is to add a carve of your own and use two or more stamps for an LTC. I think my top number of stamps is 28 for a single card design...but I am a little over-the-top :)
Re: Appropriation
Reply to: #983489 by Flutterby-N-Caterpillar
Feb 15, 2020 2:36pm
Thread
How common is it to use a stamp that you didn’t carve?

I do it as often as possible. Unfortunately, my carver had the nerve to get married and move out, so I end up doing most of my carves now!
Re: Embossing Failure - update
Feb 16, 2020 4:28am
Thread
I had some success with embossing last night. Not a lot but some. Glossy paper and different ink helped. When I switched to cardstock it failed on second try. That's when my daughter noticed my ink was starting to dry. I had only done about 10 images. So, ink refill I will invest in.

Question - Is it possible to have embossing powder that embosses in a different way? My smaller bottles did not stick at all. Still working with them.
Reply to: #983507 by Tri-Colored Paws
Feb 16, 2020 4:48am
Thread
There are even embossing ink pads. It basically contains a thick and sticky ink.
Feb 16, 2020 8:06am
Thread
Is it a pigment ink?
Feb 16, 2020 1:21pm
Thread
An embossing ink and refill will be very beneficial to you. You will need to use colored powder for it to be seen however.
If you use colored ink with a clear embossing powder you will get different coverage. Re ink the color would probably help.
I mix my own colors of powder with pinches. Say I want a red with a gold tinge. I use two pinches of red and one of gold, then mix well. I experiment until I get the right color, then mix enough to do a project. I use clean, empty pill bottles to store left over and use masking tape to mark what ratio of what in case I need to make more for a different project.
I tend to use a lot of metallic colors, gold, silver, copper, and a rainbow clear (kaleidoscope) for my mixes. They seem to emboss a bit fuller.
It is just all trial and error. And keep your errors, because you can use them on greeting
cards, etc.
Good luck to you!
Reply to: #983520 by FunnyMingo
Feb 16, 2020 1:34pm
Thread
You also mentioned in that you were trying to emboss two colors at once. I managed to do that with a dragon once. I used the clear embossing ink (nice and heavy) then took pinches of the metallic green and scattered it on the part I wanted, then did the rest with metallic gold. It was tedious to do several, but worked. Then I gently tapped off the excess and it melded just like I wanted. The leftover mix is what I used on another project, which led me to mixing my own powders.
Reply to: #983522 by FunnyMingo
Feb 17, 2020 6:45am
Thread
Excellent ideas! I have added your suggestion to my phone for the next time I'm in town and can pick things up.

In the meantime, I have added an LTC tracker to actually view some images. Please join me folks. :D

Tri-Colored Paws

PS, my true confession on my home supply of embossing equipment is a sad one. One you do not wish to hear. So, anything you have to share on new supplies is greatly appreciated. I'm writing everything down and trying my old supplies first. They have sentimental value in my life.
Still room
Feb 20, 2020 7:00am
I still have 3 open spots open for my Christmas in July tracker if anyone is interested 😁
Reply to: #983184 by aMAZEing adventure frog
Feb 24, 2020 12:48pm
Thread
Only a couple spots left! Let me know if you are interested or share your questions.
Another avenue
Mar 9, 2020 11:26am
Are you crazy about making trading cards? Want to learn and share media and design techniques with like-minded crafters? Enjoy chatting about the craft?

Check out Facebook group: LTC Fanatics.
Free Giveaway for LTCs!
Apr 1, 2020 1:12pm
Downsizing my LTC supplies and willing to share with anyone who needs TRADING CARD PROTECTOR PAGES.
I have some unopened packages of 10 pages, each page holds 9 cards (so each pkg holds 90 LTC).
If you're interested, I'll gladly send them out if you pay postage.
Depending on how much interest there is, will determine how many you'll receive!
sojourner :-)