A Letterboxing Community

Search Edit Search

Read Board: LTC: Tips, Questions, and Stuff

Re: Help?
Board: LTC: Tips, Questions, and Stuff
Reply to: #971838 by 4 J's
Feb 20, 2019 4:23pm
Thread
I recently used gelatos on a card, and it behaves like watercolor in that it needs to "soak in" to the paper. If the paper is coated with gesso, the gelatos will remain on the surface and smear or smudge easily, along with anything you stamp on top of it. If possible, consider not using gesso underneath, add water when applying gelatos, and after they dry, stamp with Stazon (solvent ink). That process worked for me in a recent tracker. Good luck.
Feb 20, 2019 7:14pm
Thread
I had the same problem recently -- I used a hair dryer on each card for a few minutes and then let them sit overnight. The versafine was dry in the morning (I tried rubbing the stamped images and they didn't smear).

[Edit: I live in a very dry climate - if the humidity is high, it might take longer to dry]
Feb 20, 2019 9:24pm
Thread
What they said! Also, you can also use gesso OVER your stamped image; it depends on what effect you're looking for, and how you want to use your color mediums...there is no right or wrong; just options for how to play!๐Ÿ˜€
Reply to: #971854 by Gypsy Fiddler
Feb 21, 2019 6:54am
Thread
I REALLY appreciate all the tips! You guys are awesome!
Help identify
Mar 11, 2019 8:27pm
I received an unlabeled LTC of a beautifully carved lady, stamped in red on copy paper with a dot on each cheek and lips. She's wearing an ornate veil which makes her face look like a heart. Can anyone help identify her? It would probably be several years old, maybe a first finder prize.
Mailing info: PSA
Mar 13, 2019 6:31pm
Thread
I stole borrowed this info from another thread originally posted by Yaateeh. I thought it needed a thread of its own so more peeps could benefit from it. Mailing art info:
http://mailmesomeart.blogspot.com/p/postal-points.html?m=1

Thanks Yaateeh! ๐Ÿ™‚
DZ
Re: Mailing info: PSA
Reply to: #972665 by DarkZen and Evil Cow Pie
Mar 15, 2019 11:14am
Thread
You are welcome DZ!
It is great mailing info!!
Yaateeh
:-)
Stuff for sale?
Apr 29, 2019 8:09am
Thread
Through a lot of changes in my life, divorcing , storing all my stuff for a few years and now getting remarried, I am going to be paring down my craft supplies and I have a ton of stuff for making LTCs letterboxing trading cards. Many are stacks and stacks and stacks of pre cut cards to exactly the right proportions that I had professionally cut at a printing shop. If there is any interest in any of this before I put the cards basically in paper recycling and the rest of the items in the trash I please let me know. I'd really only be looking to recoup shipping costs and a token extra few dollars. I haven't been on Atlas quest a long time so for me it would be easier if you texted me or message me on Facebook. Ruth de Jesus Kenneway
603-866-9597

Also, carved stamps available, LTCs made by me and ones traded to me
Re: Stuff for sale?
Reply to: #974720 by six stars
Apr 29, 2019 7:26pm
Thread
I would LOVE to have anything you can give me, and have no problem with payment terms!
Reply to: #974720 by six stars
Apr 29, 2019 8:40pm
Thread
Ditto!
Reply to: #974744 by A Okay
Apr 30, 2019 1:26pm
Thread
I think you contacted me by text! I'll keep you posted as I organize!
Reply to: #974748 by Phoenix Rizing
Apr 30, 2019 1:27pm
Thread
Please text me and I'll keep you posted!
Mailing 25 LTCs
Jun 24, 2019 2:00pm
Thread
Iโ€™m thinking the best way to mail 25 LTCs is a padded envelope 6x9
Anyone know of a cheaper way ? Or how much you think it will cost to mail them in the. Padded envelope
Re: Mailing 25 LTCs
Reply to: #976643 by brailleboxer
Jun 24, 2019 2:34pm
Thread
I'd mail that many cards in a padded envelope. The cost varies, depending on where the cards are going. It's kind of a pain that it's no longer a flat fee.
Reply to: #976646 by Rocklun
Jun 24, 2019 4:31pm
Thread
The cost varies, depending on where the cards are going.

The padded mailers are now considered a "first class package" which means the postage is based on both weight and "zone" (referring to how far away the destination is from the sending location). Those charts are online at USPS. It's likely to be $4.50 - $5.50, but probably still the better option. That many cards are most likely too thick, even when spread out, to work in a "flat" mailer.
Reply to: #976649 by Wise Wanderer
Jun 24, 2019 6:08pm
Thread
Ya kinda what I thought
Reply to: #976643 by brailleboxer
Jun 25, 2019 5:56am
Thread
It would probably be cheaper to mail two sets of 12/13. Then they will fit in a flat mailer at $1.50 x2, $3 not $4+
Reply to: #976670 by RIclimber
Jun 25, 2019 6:50am
Thread
It would probably be cheaper to mail two sets of 12/13. Then they will fit in a flat mailer at $1.50 x2, $3 not $4+

I'm sure it would save a couple of bucks, but as a host (though not of this tracker), I'd be annoyed if I had to prepare multiple return envelopes for each participant.

It would also be harder for the host to keep track of incoming packages (using my system, at least).
Reply to: #976670 by RIclimber
Jun 25, 2019 8:00am
Thread
I thought about that too !
Reply to: #976676 by brailleboxer
Jun 25, 2019 8:24am
Thread
I thought about that too !

Please don't.

Sincerely,
A Host Who Would Be Bummed to Have to Prepare 50 Envelopes for a 25-Card Swap Just So Participants Can Save $3 or So
Reply to: #976678 by Rocklun
Jun 25, 2019 9:42am
Thread
Honestly, when's the last time there has been a normal swap with more than 10 people actually sending their cards?

If you don't want to deal with the possibility of multiple envelopes, you can limit your swaps to 10-12 people.
Reply to: #976682 by RIclimber
Jun 25, 2019 9:55am
Thread
If you don't want to deal with the possibility of multiple envelopes, you can limit your swaps to 10-12 people.

I do! And I have no idea what swap brailleboxer is in that has 25 cards. But I suspect most hosts wouldn't want to receive 2 envelopes from their participants and wanted to say why.
Reply to: #976683 by Rocklun
Jun 25, 2019 12:35pm
Thread
Agree. My swaps are normally 9 participants. No way would I accept two envelopes from one participant. If you are so broke that you need to save $3...well maybe you shouldn't join the swap. :-/
Reply to: #976678 by Rocklun
Jun 25, 2019 1:53pm
Thread
I actually had a crazy idea in mind that would only really be 5 cards , but I was wondering about the 25 as I was thinking of paying it for each of the participants , itโ€™s detailed and wonโ€™t work
25 cards is WAY too many for a swap in my opinion !
My swaps are 12 max and yes folks donโ€™t generally sign up and fill a swap these days ....
me and my midnight hair brain ideas just get the best of me sometimes ๐Ÿ˜‚
As a LTC tracker hostess, I appreciate...
Aug 12, 2019 9:07am
Thread
*trail name on the mailer
*tracker title on the mailer
*dog-eared tape corners
Re: As a LTC tracker hostess, I appreciate...
Reply to: #978286 by aMAZEing adventure frog
Aug 12, 2019 12:27pm
Thread
Yes and SAME! Please and thank you!
LTC retreat
Aug 12, 2019 2:51pm
Thread
Hey ltc ladies. I had a last minute drop from an Ltc retreat that I'm hosting here in Wisconsin. It's August 22-25...seriously next week. Does anyone want to fill the spot?...message me on AQ and I will give you all the info!

Linsey
Aug 12, 2019 2:53pm
Thread
Sorry. I don't do two of those things on a regular basis. I'll try to remember.

I appreciate an equal amount of cards for the number of participants. Don't hold one back for yourself. ...hmmm...something I am trying not to do anymore for hosts...again, sorry.
Aug 12, 2019 4:17pm
Thread
I have 2 out of 3. I hardly ever put the tracker it's for on the outside. I forget that people do more than one at a time.
Aug 12, 2019 5:24pm
Thread
I never think to put the title on the mailer...I will have to try to remember that!