About Theme

A Letterboxing Community

Search Edit

Read Board: LTC: Tips, Questions, and Stuff

Tracking sticker insanity
Board: LTC: Tips, Questions, and Stuff
Oct 11, 2013 12:41pm
Thread
I bought tracking because two of my trackers recently went m.i.a.
Id never bought it before so I didnt know. I didnt think about it. But they slapped a huge sticker on the envelope!!!!
And another one for 11cents because i didnt have enough postage.
~~~~~breathe!~~~~~~
So, I prepare where the stamps go, & where the label goes, & I prepare the flap on the back.
But what about all THIS madness!!!??? There is no room left to prep on the envelope for something that size.

Maybe prep it so the whole front comes off at once?
Awe hell. I dont know!

~cc
Re: Tracking sticker insanity
Reply to: #809929 by crosscresent
Oct 11, 2013 12:48pm
Thread
It is a mess, I agree. I've had a few of these, lately. I cover the entire front of my envelope in tape, but even with that, it is hard to remove those buggers. If you added a second strip in addition to the entire front being covered in tape, they might be able to grab that strip of tape and pull the tracking label off...BUT.. the more tape you add, you may end up with more postage. I would just cover the front of the envelope and let it fly....

Sorry you have had TWO packages go MIA. I think I would cry!
Reply to: #809929 by crosscresent
Oct 11, 2013 2:30pm
Thread
Maybe prep it so the whole front comes off at once?

I put extra tape on the side of the labels because that's where they ALWAYS have placed it before. Today I was prepared for it with the extra tape..guess what..they found a new place for the label today. Back at square one.. I wonder if I could put little tabs like "place tracking label here"..
Reply to: #809943 by Only Dreaming
Oct 11, 2013 4:26pm
Thread
I wonder if I could put little tabs like "place tracking label here"..

And just beneath that is where they'll place it, lol. Like "pictures, please don't bend" which always get bent to fit in your mailbox!
Reply to: #809958 by Raven
Oct 11, 2013 5:54pm
Thread
Like "pictures, please don't bend" which always get bent to fit in your mailbox!

Have you been checking my mail??? I just got my "Photos, please don't bend" envelope on Tuesday... bent and shoved into my mailbox of course.
Reply to: #809965 by Dizzy
Oct 11, 2013 8:25pm
Thread
Sometimes I think it is better off, "Photos, please place on doorstep!!!!!"
Re: LTCs and numbering
Reply to: #803289 by FloridaFour
Oct 13, 2013 5:15pm
Thread
This is technically correct. As a printmaker myself, I was taught by some of the best and have been among the art community for 30 years, and I have not run across a single printmaker who will tell you that all his prints in an edition are EXACTLY identical. Each print pulled has unique qualities about it, and the numbering system itself is designed that way in order to make each print a unique piece of art. The fact that it is numbered gives value to the individual piece in relation to the number of prints made. In other words, each piece of an edition of 1000 has less value, in general, than each piece of an edition of 100. When the artist pulls out his pencil and signs and numbers the edition, he/she is essentially saying, "Here are 100 pieces of art that are made from a plate and each is a unique piece in and of itself."

I fail to see how using color pencils, watercolor, or whatever to enhance each of the prints very much the same is any different than signing them each differently. Now if each were decorated totally different, with no regard to uniformity, then I would agree a numbering system would be silly.

As always, the "rules", as it were, defining printmaking are subject to some interpretation, but as long as I do my best to keep each stamped card the same I will always number them...as long as the dominant feature of the card is a repeated, stamped image from a piece of material that I have carved for that purpose.

AB
Re: LTCs and numbering
Reply to: #810192 by artboy
Oct 16, 2013 10:27am
Thread
Thank you, that is very helpful. I have recently submitted a waterpainted, embossed carve to a juried Miniature Art exhibition. It was an administrator of the Miniature Art Society of Florida that I spoke with. In this case, after taking 3 hours to paint it, I decided not to number it. If by chance, I sell this painting, I will probably not paint any more of them! It was just too tedious to repeat. I ended up having to charge $200 for it, after all the work, framing and gallery markup. Highly doubt I would sell more than 1 in today's market. After all, it is only 3.5 by 4 inches. But I may offer simpler versions for sale, and certainly.... it will be made available as a simply decorated, or plain, oversized LTC. :)
card folding techniques
Oct 31, 2013 4:57am
Thread
Does anyone have a great link for a bunch of cool card folding techniques? Especially the sliding cards, and endless cards.
Re: card folding techniques
Reply to: #813225 by FloridaFour
Oct 31, 2013 4:59am
Thread
I dont even know what you are talking about and being an art teacher, Im sure i should know....
Reply to: #813228 by Sea Maid
Oct 31, 2013 5:01am
Thread
Yes, you should!!! :) Haha! I'm talking about greeting cards, but they have been done with LTCs.

Creative ways to fold cards, so they have slots, and can be folded in different directions, etc.
Oct 31, 2013 5:10am
Thread
Nosox hosted a swap with folding cards a while ago, and provided this website - lots of fun stuff!
http://s27.photobucket.com/user/d0npen/library/Card%20Templates?sort=6&page=1
Reply to: #813231 by Red Paisley Quilter
Oct 31, 2013 6:33am
Thread
Cool!
Oct 31, 2013 7:03am
Thread
Wow, definitely bookmarked this site, thank you RPQ for pointing it out to us! I like the exploding box!
Oct 31, 2013 9:04am
Thread
Very good link! I made the Tri-shutter card once. Pain in my behind, but final result was so worth it. I even made a template just in case I ever do that method again.
Oct 31, 2013 9:14am
Thread
Thanks, just what I needed.
Oct 31, 2013 10:16am
Thread
I made the neverending card for NoSox's folded card LTC tracker. It's a huge hit and SUPER easy to make (two cuts, two folds: done!). Just takes some time to plan what you want to decorate where. Here's a video to make the neverending card. Just change the sizes for what you want. Next time, I'd like to attempt this neverending card.

I've made the waterfall card, too, which is also fun, interactive, and pretty. It takes a little more effort, particularly for an LTC size, to cut small pieces. There's more folding involved than the neverending card. But it's a fun card and looks like it takes more effort than it really does!

Just recently I made a swing card, which is also fun and pretty easy.

If you want samples of the neverending or swing cards, I could send them your way :) Have fun! I love making folded cards; they're always a bit of a fun surprise.
Reply to: #813287 by Four If By Sea
Oct 31, 2013 11:17am
Thread
I was in that swap, too--received some amazing cards and learned new techniques, too. The neverending card was one of my favorites!
Oct 31, 2013 12:21pm
Thread
Love the exploding box! these are pretty cool! thanks for the link!
Reply to: #813287 by Four If By Sea
Oct 31, 2013 2:09pm
Thread
Loved your never ending card - and the one with the face is really neat! Do you actually have a scoring gadget? Or do you have another way to score paper?
Reply to: #813321 by Sea Maid
Oct 31, 2013 2:33pm
Thread
OK, you got me exploring ....look at this magic window card
Oct 31, 2013 6:11pm
Thread
I think I'll show this to my daughter and we can use some of these ideas for birth announcements when my grandbaby is born! Thanks!
Reply to: #813340 by Red Paisley Quilter
Nov 1, 2013 8:00am
Thread
No, I don't have a scoring gadget. I just do it old school, by measuring, marking with a pencil, then folding (and hoping it folds straight). But I'd really like to get one of the paper cutters that has a scoring insert thing. My big fancy paper cutter, that folds up for travel and has a light, doesn't seem to have a scorer!
Reply to: #813346 by Chedva
Nov 1, 2013 8:02am
Thread
Ooo, I have to try that one, looks great!
Reply to: #813303 by brandicat
Nov 1, 2013 8:09am
Thread
It was a fun swap with lots of great ideas. I'm thinking Florida Four needs to host another one and we can try some of the new techniques :)
Reply to: #813470 by Four If By Sea
Nov 1, 2013 8:12am
Thread
I was so confused when I first watched the video with the scoring insert on the paper cutter. I've never seen that before...very nifty...may have to put that on my Christmas list! I score with a ruler and butter knife like this but a gadget would be fun too:-)
New to LTC's...a couple of questions re:Paint and Printer
Nov 1, 2013 9:22am
Thread
I just participated in my first LTC swap and had a couple of questions.

I live in a rural area and so I don't have much in the way of inkpads but I can easily get my hands on acrylic craft paint at the local dollar store. I used this on my LTC in place of ink and wonder now if that is okay?

Also, I'm still working on my letter carving (still pretty sad looking at this point) but I felt the LTC really needed words so I printed that on my computer.

Are these practices okay for LTC's? Would it be best to disclose this in my LTC clue/synopsis?
Re: New to LTC's...a couple of questions re:Paint and Printer
Reply to: #813494 by Nekussa
Nov 1, 2013 9:46am
Thread
OK and OK and not necessary to disclose :)

You can use whatever mediums and embellishments that you want. The only real rules to LTCs are the size and the use of a hand-carved stamp :)

Welcome to the LTC addiction!
Re: New to LTC's...a couple of questions re:Paint and Printer
Reply to: #813500 by Aiphid
Nov 1, 2013 9:58am
Thread
Thanks! I just wanted to be sure...I felt a little guilty when I received all ink stamped images and one that was a fully carved quote - carved quite expertly by Trilla Marion (still blown away by that LTC!)
Reply to: #813470 by Four If By Sea
Nov 1, 2013 11:39am
Thread
But I'd really like to get one of the paper cutters that has a scoring insert thing.

I love my Martha Stewart scoring board. I think I'd rather have the Stampin Up one with the markers but I had the Martha Stewart one first. I think the Martha Stewart board runs $19.99 at Michael's and of course you can use a coupon. I was just at Michael's the other day and I saw they now carry a smaller version but didn't happen to notice the price other than the fact that it was cheaper than the larger board. It was just the right size for cards. A scoring board is one of those items that you can do without until you use one and then you really need it more than you could have ever imagined.