Search Edit Search

Read Board: LTC: Tips, Questions, and Stuff

Re: Help! I'm sticky!
Board: LTC: Tips, Questions, and Stuff
Reply to: #445949 by Hufflepuff Lost
Oct 3, 2009 5:40am
Thread
HPL,

We use spray adhesive all the time without getting sticky, so we'll try to help.

First, you should have a place to spray that allows for over spray. We use an open box (24" x 18") with one of the longer sides removed. These leaves you with a bottom, back and two sides.

Second, have scrap paper that you can place on the bottom of the "spray box". Then you place the items you want to glue on this. Sometimes you may need to hold down the paper with a tacky piece of tape or an instrument to keep it from blowing away when you spray. (we'll get to that next)

We use a bamboo skewer to hold down our little pieces. This allows our hands to be clear of the spray and prevents the small pieces from blowing over. When you spray, start off the object and sweep across to the other side. (yes this wastes spray, but prevents "blobs of glue" or miss sprays. Usually a single sweep is enough. You do not want to much glue.

Now the trick is picking up the item. We use the bamboo skewer again. It is usually perpetually sticky, so it works like a frogs tongue. You just dab it to the item's back and lift. We carefully transfer the item to the area we want to paste it to, and if necessary use a pair of tweezers to position. Now you just rub it down with a paper towel.

No glue on you. Yay!

Now if you do get the glue on you, almost any nail polish remover will take it off; goo off takes it off, and pumice soap easily takes it off. However, you can have adverse skin reactions to the glue and cleansers/solvents. I recommend using rubber glues if the problem persists.

3 Blind Mice
Re: LTC photos?
Reply to: #447100 by 3 Blind Mice
Oct 3, 2009 5:46am
Thread
Seeing all those beautiful cards ...
Ahhhhhh! :-)
Makes me itchy to get carving.
Thanks for sharing.

Sally-O
Re: Help! I'm sticky!
Reply to: #447106 by 3 Blind Mice
Oct 3, 2009 9:37am
Thread
We use a bamboo skewer to hold down our little pieces.

Yes, this was the step I knew I needed walking into the project, but when I couldn't find them in the house decided to proceed anyway. Lessons learned, I suppose.

HPL
Same card Different ring
Oct 3, 2009 5:28pm
Thread
I just wanted to ask if anyone has ever used the same card for two different swap rings? If so what do you do if there are People who already have your card?
LTC for personal traveler
Oct 3, 2009 5:53pm
Thread
I've known about Letterboxing Trading Cards for awhile now. Never made any, received any unless you count the first finder prize of an HH, and if you do, never made any first finder prizes (I think just finding the letterbox is pretty special in itself). For a month or maybe two, I had an idea for creating a Personal Traveler. I decided to try and make it and realized that my nail polish remover does not want to let me transfer and carve over 100 letters and characters... or maybe it's me.

So I thought how about making the part of the stamp that doesn't involve words into the the personal traveler and whoever gets half of my personal traveler clue right gets that. Whoever gets 90% or better of my personal traveler clue right gets an LTC of the words that my nail polish remover does not want me to carve along with a stamped image of my personal traveler (and of course a stamp of the personal traveler in their logbook). I would make several of them before going to events or go boxing with letterboxers, just in case.

I read Mama Cache's site and didn't see anything in the rules against this. Is this okay to do? Also are there any really in-depth tutorials on what to do? The LTC Help Page on here gave some info but I do not want to buy a heat gun for embossing (do I really need to emboss).

Thanks
Re: Same card Different ring
Reply to: #447289 by elephantlady
Oct 3, 2009 6:09pm
Thread
I haven't ever used the same card for two different swaps. I don't think it would be too popular - after all everyone else has made new cards for it. I can see getting away with a new card with a recycled stamp - that has been done before. Call that a "reimagining" or "reimaging."
Re: LTC for personal traveler
Reply to: #447293 by koalacat
Oct 3, 2009 8:45pm
Thread
I think that would be cool. I have an LTC that you have to meet some rare criteria to get. So I don't see why an LTC would be frowned on as part of a PT. You'd just need to be willing to keep making them.

As for embossing, that isn't required. Most people don't emboss. Or if they do it's only some of their cards. It's your card, do what you want. ;-)

And if we ever do an exchange I'll try to get your questions right to get your PT LTC.
Reply to: #447364 by Maos
Oct 3, 2009 9:19pm
Thread
Thanks for responding. I'm glad I don't have to emboss.
Reply to: #447369 by koalacat
Oct 4, 2009 8:41am
Thread
I'm glad I don't have to emboss.

I've been trying to emboss things for about 3 months now. I get a picture in my head of how I think it should turn out and then attempt the embossing. And it turns out, um, very differently... I think my problem is the picture in my head. If I could just do the embossing and be okay with however it turned out, I'd probably be happier. :-)
Oct 4, 2009 9:05am
Thread
Unless you can somehow guarantee that the people in the second ring were not in the first ring AND they're people who haven't received the card through independent trade, I wouldn't do it. Nobody really wants to receive the same card twice.
If _I_ put in the effort to create a new card for a swap, I expect others to do the same.
LunaSea
Reply to: #447419 by Maos
Oct 4, 2009 8:03pm
Thread
Good luck with the embossing. Does the embossing plastic ruin the stamp?
Best card stock/cards
Oct 4, 2009 8:13pm
Thread
I went to Joann today and noticed these place cards that were 10 for 2.00. I bought two packs, because they looked perfect. Then came back and looked on here to realize they are not quite the right size. They are 2x3, Not 2.5x3.5. There was cardstock there, but all of it was much larger than required. Do any of the craft places sell the cards at the right size without cutting them down to size?
Re: Best card stock/cards
Reply to: #447608 by koalacat
Oct 4, 2009 9:12pm
Thread
Michael's in CT sells packs of pre-cut paper for ATCs, artist trading cards, in an assortment of paper types. Personally, I think they are pricey, but if you have a 40% off coupon they are not too bad. I use a papercutter to cut down regular 12x12 cardstock, and give the scraps to my daughter to draw on.
Oct 4, 2009 9:14pm
Thread
The only places I've seen them is specialty art/paper stores and they were quite expensive. They were marked as ATCs or artist trading cards, and nothing fancy, just blank.
Reply to: #447617 by Raven
Oct 4, 2009 10:27pm
Thread
here is a template for cutting your own and not wasting any paper!

http://www.ruthannzaroff.com/mirkwooddesigns/tcdiag.htm
Oct 5, 2009 3:58am
Thread
Oriental trading company (online) sells a variety of patterned ATC blanks. One side is lined for journaling. I haven't bought any so I can't say how sturdy they are but the patterns look attractive.
Check here

dancing pecan
Oct 5, 2009 5:13am
Thread
I have bought the Strathmore Precut LTC's at JoAnn's. They were in the bins by the registers. They are pricey, and if you plan on doing a lot of LTC's I wouldn't reccomend going this route. I would either invest in a paper cutter, or buy a bunch of paper and bring it to a commercial printing shop to have it cut down to the correct size. Staples can cut up to a ream (250 sheets of cardstock) at a time. At 10 cards per sheet that will give you 2500 cards to play with for a cost of about $15 for the cutting. Well worth it in my opinion and a much better price than the Strathmore precut ones which are $2.50 for 20 cards at JoAnn's

SFF
Reply to: #447626 by QueenMother'n'CloudWalker
Oct 5, 2009 6:58am
Thread
Chedva posted templates on her blog for both 8.5x11 and 12x12 paper. You may want to check those out.

They leave you with hardly any scrap paper at all.

Chedva's templates

Knit Wit
Reply to: #447297 by Contessa Ennui
Oct 5, 2009 9:50am
Thread
I have done this a couple of times. I checked with the swap leader first, then notified the others in the swap that I would be sending a card they might already have. I asked them to contact me if they already had it and would then send them another card as a bonus. If people don't like this idea, no one has ever said so!
Wild Rose (of PBandJ)
Oct 5, 2009 10:52am
Thread
Thanks for the responses. The Joann I went to wasn't one of their large locations, it just happened to be on my route, so maybe I will check the larger one out or check out Michaels like suggested. I don't have room to get a papercutter and probably only going to make the one for personal trader.
Reply to: #447782 by koalacat
Oct 5, 2009 11:09am
Thread
and probably only going to make the one for personal trader.

HA!!!!!
You can't make just one! I dare you to try... :)
Reply to: #447789 by Mn8X
Oct 5, 2009 1:55pm
Thread
Yes! Very true. I said the same thing myself, just one just to try it. Now I'm in way too deep!
Musical Chairs 5 LTCs
Oct 5, 2009 3:19pm
Some of the cards are being held up at different places.....PLEASE....send them on as soon as you get them. If you can NOT trade them forward within a day or two, don't ask to receive them. You are not supposed to keep these cards. This is a race for a prize. If you have any in your possession, please ask to trade them right now and send them on immediately. There are lots of us wanting to receive these beautiful fun cards.

Thanks for your help.

Diana
Reply to: #447605 by koalacat
Oct 6, 2009 9:39am
Thread
Does the embossing plastic ruin the stamp?

I use embossing ink pens, so they ink the stamp exactly how a regular pen would. Then I sprinkle the powder on the wet, inked paper. So none of the plastic gets on the stamp. Well, except for the stamp my 1-year-old helpfully stamped again right after I'd put on the powder (yelling "Stamp!" at the top of his lungs). How do they move so fast??? ;-) And that stamp I just washed off in the sink. (And sent a little prayer for my septic tank - bad me!)
Reply to: #447680 by knit wit
Oct 6, 2009 9:43am
Thread
Thank you and Queen Mother for these links. Bookmarking now. I spent an hour searching for templates for cutting 12x12 paper and couldn't find them. - Bad searching on my part, I know. It's just frustrating when I know the templates exist, I just can't find the keywords to find them. :-)
Reply to: #448087 by Maos
Oct 6, 2009 11:10am
Thread
so glad they can help!
Oct 6, 2009 11:46am
Thread
I used the same ard in 2 rings but I made sure no one was in both rings. It would't be a good idea if you have anyone getting a duplicate card.
"HERO" LTC (Original Sumi Design)
Oct 6, 2009 3:54pm
"HERO" (Unique) Series #3 - Special Limited Edition
Oct 7, 2009 2:48pm
Last post for "HERO"

The first two series have all been taken. Be the first to get these!

http://www.atlasquest.com/showinfo.html?gBoxId=128924
Update: Best card stock/cards
Oct 7, 2009 6:19pm
Thread
Well Michaels doesn't carry the precut artist trading cards anymore, well this store did not. Then I headed to Joann to return the place cards and ask there. The lady working there asked someone in a dept. who said no, but she told me to check anyway and to check the value bins and sure enough - there they were in the value bin. Before leaving to find them, she asked if I was a painter and I said no. When heading to purchase them, she inquired about them again, and so I told her about letterboxing and she wrote down the site address because she thought it sounded interesting. I hope I didn't sound confusing when I was trying to explain the LTC part about it...

So I just spent an hour trying to paint the cards and then when finished, klutzy me knocked over the glass of water used for cleaning off the brush... oh well it made the pattern more interesting on most.