About Theme

A Letterboxing Community

Search Edit Search

Read Board: Beer

New Board: Beer
Board: Beer
Jan 19, 2009 11:55am
Thread
I now realize that there's already a Beer, Wine and Milkshakes board, but I'm going to keep this one up anyways. =o)
Re: New Board: Beer
Reply to: #339593 by Captain Raehawk
Feb 24, 2009 8:38am
Thread
I'm in!
Reply to: #354652 by Gallant Rogue
Feb 24, 2009 10:31am
Thread
Welcome! So, what's everyone's favorite beer?
Reply to: #354718 by Captain Raehawk
Feb 24, 2009 10:32am
Thread
Any beer made by Flying Dog
Feb 24, 2009 11:22am
Thread
Dogfish Head 60 Minute IPA
Long Hammer IPA
Rogue Dead Guy Ale
Sam Adams Summer Ale
Feb 24, 2009 11:46am
Thread
My favorite is Stone Impreial Russian IPA. It's fantastic! It looked like black paint when I poured it, because it was so dark. I poured it into a clear glass and out of curiosity I held a small flashlight against one side of the glass and I couldn't see the light on the other side, now that's a dark beer! LOL I highly recommend it though, and pretty much any other beer from Stone Brewing Co. =o)
My other favorite is a local beer. You can get it at the Diamond Knot brewery and restaraunt in Mukilteo, Wa. It's called Industrial IPA. It's very hoppy and a bit bitter, but it's still very tasty. It's very strong too.
Also Kilt Lifter by the Pike Brewing Co.
Feb 24, 2009 3:44pm
Thread
Young's Double Chocolate Stout!

Yummmm!

KuKu
Refreshing Summer Beer Recommendations
Jul 14, 2009 10:28am
Thread
Samuel Adams Cherry Wheat

(served ice cold of course)
Re: Refreshing Summer Beer Recommendations
Reply to: #414762 by Gallant Rogue
Jul 16, 2009 3:49pm
Thread
That sounds good! I haven't tried it yet, but I think I'll have to buy some soon =o)
Sam Adams Double Bock
Nov 20, 2010 7:46pm
Lots of Malt . . . delicious... but malty
Feb 6, 2011 5:00pm
Thread
I don't have a single favorite but Young's double chocolate stout is at the top of the list. I prefer porters and stouts as a style.

Shiloh

BTW, I just discovered this board.
Reply to: #584027 by shiloh
Feb 7, 2011 9:47am
Thread
I drank a Young's last night at a Super Bowl party.

You were the one who introduced me to this beer, and it is my favorite!

KuKu
Reply to: #584027 by shiloh
Feb 20, 2011 6:17am
Thread
Welcome to the little used Beer Board! Here in the Mid Atlantic we have merged Beer and Letterboxing by holding Letterbox Pub Crawls using beer label artwork or pub logos for stamp images. There is a great one being held April 15 in Rehoboth Beach Delaware. One of the stops is the home of the Dogfish Head Brewery... which produces some of the very best pale ale in the world if your a fan of hops.

Re: Chocolate Stout... I would have never thought beer and chocolate would be used in the same paragraph.... but have to say I saw the light.... Sam Adams Chocolate Stout made a believer out of me. I prefer IPAs but have had my beer horizons broadened (waistline too!)
Reply to: #586990 by Gallant Rogue
Feb 20, 2011 12:17pm
Thread
I would like to do a pub crawl sometime but that one is a little out of my area.

i'm not a big fan of hops.

Shiloh
Oct 28, 2011 6:35am
Thread
Southern Tier Pumpking
Ithaca Flower Power
Ellicottville Chocolate Cherry Bomb
Lagunitas Undercover Investigator Shut Down Ale
Yes, a fan of the high octane brews : )
Reply to: #650568 by turkey feathers
Oct 31, 2011 4:17pm
Thread
I also love the "high octane brews" I love Pumpking but I haven't tried any of the others you mentioned. I think I shall have to keep an eye out for them :)
To age a beer or not
Feb 23, 2012 1:38pm
Thread
So I was gifted a Dogfish head 120 minute IPA from a co-worker. My question is to age it or not? It's already about 18% abv. Not sure what I should expect after aging it, different taste etc. As far as aging it: should I wax coat the bottle cap? I have a cold storage section in the basement that I think would be ideal. No windows and cool even during the summer. Any thoughts or suggestions appreciated.
Re: To age a beer or not
Reply to: #678394 by turkey feathers
Feb 25, 2012 8:54am
Thread
The general rule is that beer is better fresh not aged like wine. I'd suggest drinking some now and saving some to drink at different intervals of aging to compare.

Shiloh
Reply to: #678702 by shiloh
Feb 25, 2012 9:01am
Thread
The problem is I have only 1 12 oz bottle. They're $15 a piece so don't plan on buying anymore. After a little research I've learned that ABV of 8% or more is ageable. Just not sure what to expect after aging.
Reply to: #678705 by turkey feathers
Feb 25, 2012 9:12am
Thread
Yes, there's always exceptions. Even if you decide to age it what will you have to compare it to? I'd say drink it now. :)

Personally I don't like the the high alcohol beers the seem to....um, sour? To each his own though.

Shiloh
Feb 25, 2012 4:29pm
Thread
I had one of those and I drank it without aging it. Delicious! I say drink it now :)
Feb 27, 2012 6:21am
Thread
Drank it last night and it was delightful
Reply to: #679094 by turkey feathers
Feb 27, 2012 8:08am
Thread
We don't have a 'like' or 'yea' button so...

*foom*

Shiloh
Home brewing
Jan 20, 2014 6:39am
Thread
I'm curious if anyone in AQ land has tried home brewing and if so what was their favorite to make?

I took up the challenge about a year ago and while it seemed daunting at first it really is fun to do! However, I have not been brave enough to try anything besides from a 'kit'.

Cheers! :)

~C~
Re: Home brewing
Reply to: #826377 by Chunna
Jan 21, 2014 7:19am
Thread
ATVRacer (hubby) has a homebrew kit. He's tried one batch, but it ended up exploding (should have started it in the 6 gallon bucket instead of the 5 gal carboy.) He still has another batch waiting to try.

Aiphid is an avid homebrewer. I'm still waiting to try his hard cider.

Jiffy
Reply to: #826648 by Jiffy
Jan 21, 2014 5:02pm
Thread
yikes! I had a bottle explode while 'aging' but not the whole batch! :/ bummer, hopefully it just out grew the carboy?
I just got a new 'kit' and the brewing process is different than the past ones I did,.. (?) I'm planning on brewing it after I finish painting my kitchen.

~C~
Reply to: #826838 by Chunna
Jan 22, 2014 10:29am
Thread
You should mark this board as a favorite:

http://www.atlasquest.com/boards/messages.html?gStartId=752861;gBoardId=377

There's a lot more conversing there.

jif
Reply to: #826955 by Jiffy
Jan 22, 2014 1:46pm
Thread
ah! thanks! missed that one :)
Reply to: #826377 by Chunna
Jan 27, 2014 8:03am
Thread
It's been awhile since I've made a batch but I'm a home brewer. I think when I get back into it I'll try doing a mash instead of a 'kit'. I have done a couple of batches using extract and steeping some specialty grains. Sort of a mini mash.

I'll need to collect my equipment so it may be a while before I get to it.

Shiloh

*who likes the dark beers*
Brewing a batch of home brew now!
Oct 22, 2017 12:36pm
Actively returning to another hobby I enjoy...making beer! Raspberry hefeweizen cooking currently - yummy! 😁