A Letterboxing Community

Search Edit Search

Read Board: The Grateful Letterboxers!

Re: Everyone ok?
Board: The Grateful Letterboxers!
Reply to: #965296 by Sits N Knits
Sep 14, 2018 4:21am
Thread
No problems reported in North Reading. They should be fine.
Reply to: #965315 by The Merry Pranksters
Sep 14, 2018 6:48am
Thread
ah, but how about you folks? Are you all ok?
Reply to: #965317 by west dover quidditch team
Sep 14, 2018 8:59am
Thread
We're fine down here on the south part of town! They did temporarily evacuate everyone, but our neighborhood doesn't have gas. Power wasn't cut in our area. It's still crazy around town, but we are safe. Thanks for thinking about us!!!
Reply to: #965321 by The Merry Pranksters
Sep 14, 2018 9:01am
Thread
Glad to hear you are ok. That's a crazy situation!!
Reply to: #965296 by Sits N Knits
Sep 15, 2018 5:35am
Thread
The report is 80 houses involved Maine sent fire fighters
Our 2019 event is now posted: "#13 - U.S. Blues!"
Oct 11, 2018 6:59am
Thread
https://www.atlasquest.com/showinfo.html?eventId=4093

Pete
Re: Our 2019 event is now posted: "#13 - U.S. Blues!"
Reply to: #966648 by The Merry Pranksters
Oct 11, 2018 9:44am
Thread
Wave that flag! Wave it wide and high!
Reply to: #966660 by muddy paws
Oct 11, 2018 7:50pm
Thread
OK, now I can't get this song out of my head. IT makes me smile : )
Reply to: #966691 by Sahalie
Oct 12, 2018 4:15am
Thread
Can you use....... them old U.S. Blues??? ;o)
Reply to: #966648 by The Merry Pranksters
Oct 12, 2018 11:17am
Thread
Put the right dates in my calendar this time!!!
Happy Cake Day...
Dec 15, 2018 3:27am
Thread
...to Sits N Knits!!
Re: Happy Cake Day...
Reply to: #969408 by Kit Kat 61
Dec 15, 2018 8:03am
Thread
Thank you. :-)
Grateful Camping 2019!!
Jan 12, 2019 11:37am
Thread
Hello Grateful Friends!! The time has come to book your campsite for the Grateful Letterboxers' 13th Annual Event, U.S. Blues - #13: It Ain't no Luck, We Learned to Duck! The frolicking begins on 7/7 with the full-weekers. Most people will be there the weekend of 7/15-17, so plan accordingly! You will be in for a treat of sunshine, daydreams, twirling, and general gleefulness! And, make it an even more magical experience by camping! Check it out here: Harold Parker camping. I believe fees are still $17 (MA residents) to $20 per night for individual sites (max = 4 people and 2 cars). I have reserved the Group site for Fri-Sun (that’s Friday and Saturday nights; more on that later, but fees are $10 per tent per night). The individual sites are already starting to fill up, so don't delay! In case you don't know, the central location, Grateful Row, is situated on the little road with sites 301-307. (When reserving a site, you’ll find the sites close to the Row in the loop that include the Group site.)

It is my honor to manage the Grateful Campers Address List every year. This list will be posted on the AQ event page, and it will be on the bulletin board on Grateful Row during the event. If you would like to be included in this most excellent resource, please send to me your campsite info. I need this info:

1. Site number
2. Trailnames of everyone who will be staying on the site
3. Timeframe you plan to be there (e.g., Thurs-Sun, which means Thurs/Fri/Sat nights)

I hope this reminder makes you warm on the inside, especially if you are among us who are cold on the outside! Brrrrr.

~zess~
Re: Grateful Camping 2019!! *CORRECTION*
Reply to: #970239 by zess the treehuggers
Jan 22, 2019 5:34am
Thread
Whoops! ThiaYack2 pointed out that I wrote, "Most people will be there the weekend of 7/15-17, so plan accordingly!" That should be 7/12-14.

Thanks so much, ThiaYack2!

~zess~
Re: Grateful Camping 2019!!!
Reply to: #970541 by zess the treehuggers
Jan 22, 2019 7:17am
Thread
Site #303 on Grateful Row is still up for grabs and we'd really like that nice spot filled by a Grateful Letterboxer. If you want to be central to all the action, book that one! Also, they've added electrical to the campsites along the #100 row and increased the fees there a bit. Nice options!

Have a Grateful Day!!! ;o)

Pete
Re: Grateful Camping 2019!!
Reply to: #970239 by zess the treehuggers
Jan 24, 2019 8:12pm
Thread
Hello!

Echo and Stitches from Longview are coming from Texas and we are not camping but are staying in a Airbnb about 20 mins away.
We will arrive in Boston mid afternoon on the 8th and depart on the afternoon of the 15th.
Since we wont have a camp site could we borrow chairs from someone to set up for our personal stamps. Also where would you suggest that we put them.
Is there a place specifically for day people like us?

Another question does the camp lock its gates at night so if we wanted to stay till evening could we get out?

We so excited to be coming and can't wait to see some face from the Oct. event.
See ya soon, Echo (Ann Grimes)
Reply to: #970657 by Echo
Jan 25, 2019 11:16am
Thread
Hey there!

Remind me('cause I'm a dingus) a few days before the event and I'll have a couple of chairs ready for you.

I believe the group site has been booked for Friday & Saturday. Check with zess the treehuggers about the details of how that allows day visitors to the state forest to stay past hours for those nights.

See you in July!
Reply to: #970665 by dingus dufus
Jan 25, 2019 12:33pm
Thread
Thanks for the use of your chairs. I will get back with you.
I will contact Zess the treehugger about the other stuff.

See you in July
Reply to: #970657 by Echo
Jan 25, 2019 5:54pm
Thread
Hey Ann!
The campgrounds gates are never locked. You can sign up for the Group Site on Friday and Saturday through Zess. That will allow you to come and go as desired on those dates, staying as late into the evening as you'd like and perhaps enjoying some night boxing!
Most boxes are outside of the actual campground in Harold Parker State Forest so day trip on earlier days can be made without reservations. Just a few boxers will be around all week and we'll be there starting Wednesday evening. If you'd like to visit the campgrounds earlier than that, try checking in with Dawn (aka: Sits n knits). The largest number of campsite boxes will be available on Friday and Saturday when the majority of Grateful letterboxers are congregating.

Hope that helps you. Let me know if you have any other questions!
Pete
Camp Grounds
Jan 30, 2019 7:15pm
Thread
How do you get in the camp grounds if you are not staying there? I read somewhere that to get in the camp ground area you had to be staying there. Is this correct?

Also the day pass to park in the area for non residents is $10.00 a day correct and can it be used at other parking areas for other sites such as Goldsmith Woodlands and Ward Reservation.

When do you get the clues for new boxes? Is it wed? and where?

I am new to all of this, it will be my first time to the event.

Any info would be appreciated,

Echo
Re: Camp Grounds
Reply to: #970873 by Echo
Jan 30, 2019 7:35pm
Thread
That all sounds correct. They may have reserved the group site, which you can add your name to and pay minimal.

We stay in a hotel but get a camp site for to have a place to park and get park entrance. Also a place to put boxes.

:-)

Be sure to join the Grateful Letterbox group. Reading older posts will also help.
Reply to: #970873 by Echo
Jan 31, 2019 2:14pm
Thread
Hello, Echo.... Echo.........Echo.............Echo........
How do you get in the camp grounds if you are not staying there? I read somewhere that to get in the camp ground area you had to be staying there. Is this correct?

Yes, you technically need a site reservation, but they also allow visitors if you know a name and associated site #. Among other folks, you can visit Dawn in site #210 starting Sunday or myself (Pete) in site #305 starting Wednesday evening. The staff at the gatehouse is very friendly. Just smile, wave and don't be shy - wear your brightest tie-dye! Let them know you're a Grateful Letterboxer. They enjoy our creativity and will be well aware of our presence once again!!!
Also the day pass to park in the area for non residents is $10.00 a day correct and can it be used at other parking areas for other sites such as Goldsmith Woodlands and Ward Reservation.

Sounds about right, but I'd recommend passing on that day fee. For Friday and Saturday, sign-up with ZESS for the Group Site. This will allow you to come and go as desired, staying later for the night boxes! Also, this is when the most campsite boxes will be available. The majority of other boxes in Harold Parker are outside of the campground. Since they've re-opened Berry Pond, there is a parking fee at the Kiosk area off Jenkins Rd and the Pavilion on Middleton St during the summer. Camping passes will allow free parking there, but it's not really necessary. Either walk from the campground to the Kiosk, or park close by roadside on Middleton St. Keep in mind that there are lots of other starting points for numerous series in HP which have no parking restrictions. There are no parking fees for any of the AVIS Reservations scattered about town. Boxes should be available at every one. Ward reservation is now under the Audubon umbrella. If you're a member parking is free, otherwise there is a small fee there unfortunately.
When do you get the clues for new boxes? Is it wed? and where?

Clues will be published on-line prior to the official event start on Sunday. Print them up or use your favorite electronic device. Just be prepared in advance with saved copies of some form as WiFi can be spotty in the forest. You will be notified when the clues have been released, and also given any secret key codes if required. Basically - Just stay tuned!
I am new to all of this, it will be my first time to the event.

We get VERY excited to meet the first-timers!!! Here are a few suggestions:
1) Pick and choose older boxes to search in advance! Find a few themes that suit your fancy and print them up. Plenty to choose from over the past 13 years.
2) Don't get overwhelmed! Feel free to box til you drop if that's your cup of tea, but don't hesitate to pull up a chair and join us by the pool or campfire for some down time.
3) Make new friends, find new boxing companions! There's always someone out on the trails. Make plans with other boxers in advance or feel free to meet up spontaneously on Grateful Row and go out with someone new!
4) Don't overdue it! If you want to collect ALL the Andover letterboxes, you can stay for a month... or two..... or three... or four.......... and you still won't get them all! Find what feels comfortable and plan a return trip next year! Just getting the Event boxes, Grateful Row boxes, Campsite boxes and night boxes will take some time. Take time to relax with others!
5) Don't hesitate to ask questions! Any question about that? When in doubt, perplexed, confused, need advice, information, clue assistance or anything else, .........just ask!

Stamp themes and trackers will be posted very soon! Please sign-up if you feel up to carving for the event. Hope this info is helpful - See you in Andover when the temps are a tad warmer!!! ;o)

Shine your shoes, light your fuse
Can you use, them ol' U.S. Blues?
Pete
Reply to: #970875 by SherlockMiles
Jan 31, 2019 2:28pm
Thread
Be sure to join the Grateful Letterbox group.

Sherlock, good advice but I'm pretty sure this IS the Grateful Letterbox group! Let me double-check.......

Yup - THIS IS IT!!!

;o)
Pete
Reply to: #970899 by The Merry Pranksters
Jan 31, 2019 3:52pm
Thread
LOL......still recovering from LLB
Reply to: #970899 by The Merry Pranksters
Jan 31, 2019 6:11pm
Thread
But if you’re on Facebook, you can join that group too!
Reply to: #970906 by Kit Kat 61
Jan 31, 2019 7:43pm
Thread
Thanks for all the help. I now have a better understanding of what and where to begin.

See ya real soon!
Echo (Ann Grimes)
Reply to: #970900 by SherlockMiles
Jan 31, 2019 8:51pm
Thread
SherlockMiles -
For the record, you were correct! Echo was just visiting the board previously, but is now officially sign up as a Grateful Letterboxer!!! ;o)

Pete
Reply to: #970916 by The Merry Pranksters
Feb 1, 2019 3:32am
Thread
*upside down smiley face here*
Stamp Requests - Time to Carve!
Feb 7, 2019 2:36pm
Thread
Hello my Grateful Friends!

Plans are well underway for fun times in Andover this July! The stamp trackers are listed below. We would REALLY appreciate your help and would LOVE to see your creative contributions! All stamps are needed by June 1st so we can box, plant and formulate the best clues. If you're willing, please sign up for multiple trackers!!! ;o)

"National Parks" will be one of the main series of planted carvings:
https://www.atlasquest.com/showinfo.php?trackerId=10131

"Blues Musicians" will be the other main traditional plants:
https://www.atlasquest.com/showinfo.php?trackerId=10132

The "U.S. Blues Lyrics" stamps will be used for Grateful Row boxes:
https://www.atlasquest.com/showinfo.php?trackerId=10133

We will have two night box sets - "Good Luck/Bad Luck":
Sits 'n knits has offered to carve one complete set, but we'll still need 13 stamps for night boxing on Saturday! Please sign-up here:
https://www.atlasquest.com/showinfo.php?trackerId=10135

EVERYONE who is camping should sign-up for the "Wave That Flag" series! Boxes will be planted and clued your after arrival. Please list your box as a Traditional planting and add it to this tracker:
https://www.atlasquest.com/showinfo.php?trackerId=10134

If you have any questions, just let us know. Have a Grateful Day!!! ;o)

Pete
Re: Stamp Requests - Time to Carve!
Reply to: #971182 by The Merry Pranksters
Feb 7, 2019 4:38pm
Thread
Im swamped until after the middle of march helping with costimes for the kids play at school but after that of you still need carves i'll sign up.

Grateful Goofy