About Theme

A Letterboxing Community

Search Edit Search

Read Board: Nerds Unite!

New Board: Nerds Unite!
Board: Nerds Unite!
Dec 9, 2008 10:37am
Thread
Welcome to the Nerds Unite Board. Enjoy!
Re: New Board: Nerds Unite!
Reply to: #321278 by Suzy Lou
Dec 9, 2008 7:09pm
Thread
*snort* So what educational topic are we going to talk about first? ;)

Just kidding... I'd act serious =)

~BOB~
Re: New Board: Nerds Unite!
Reply to: #321458 by Bobguyman
Dec 10, 2008 5:31am
Thread
Well since this is the nerd board ....... let me get y'all access to my work and y'all can help me with my crazy workload ..... so I can go CARVE and make some LTCs !

:O)

Holly
You know you're a nerd when...
Dec 15, 2008 7:37am
Thread
...you ask your parents for a calculator for christmas
Re: You know you're a nerd when...
Reply to: #323731 by Suzy Lou
Dec 15, 2008 7:39am
Thread
...and when that calculator has all the buttons that can fit on one calculator ;D

~BOB~
Reply to: #323734 by Bobguyman
Dec 15, 2008 7:45am
Thread
That's the one I'm getting. I had to come to the store to show my parents which one to get. I'm going to need my own next year anyway, so might as well buy it now. Besides, it makes homework easier because it does more stuff for you!
Reply to: #323740 by Suzy Lou
Dec 15, 2008 10:02am
Thread
maybe I'm not quite enough of a nerd. I love my scientific calculator, especially the fraction button...but have no desire to get a graphing one or learn how to use it. but I don't mind graphing coordinates by hand on graph paper.

romana
Reply to: #323740 by Suzy Lou
Dec 15, 2008 10:17am
Thread
I had to come to the store to show my parents which one to get.

I picked up a scientific calculator when I was in high school for about $10. It didn't have all that fancy graphic display for graphs and such (they did exist back then, but those suckers were big and expensive!)--just a simple, plain vanilla scientific calculator.

And more than 15 years later, I still use that same calculator. =) I've had to change the batteries a few times over the years, but it's still alive and kicking and works as wonderfully as it did for me in high school. I used it extensively to develop the calculations for determining the distance between a search location and nearby letterboxes, to convert from degrees to/from radians, and even the statistical algorithms I used for calculating blue diamonds. =) I've used to to calculate rates of return on investments, figure out my taxes, calculate the estimated efficiency of database queries, and countless other tasks.

I tell you, I've gotten my money's worth out that thing!

-- Ryan
Reply to: #323815 by Green Tortuga
Dec 15, 2008 10:51am
Thread
calculate the estimated efficiency of database queries

GEEK ! LOL Kidding ......... I actually have a database with some application "performance issues" and I am not in the mood today to deal with it! ....... and even though the application has recently been UPGRADED .... the database is the one to blame ! :O)

Holly (back to being a good employee !)
Reply to: #323848 by TalleyValleyFarmClan
Dec 15, 2008 11:52am
Thread
and even though the application has recently been UPGRADED .... the database is the one to blame ! :O)

I doubt the database is to blame--I'd probably blame the person who created the queries that access the database. If a database is slow, more often than not, it's because there's a problem with the queries!

-- Ryan, self-proclaimed geek
Reply to: #323890 by Green Tortuga
Dec 15, 2008 12:36pm
Thread
I doubt the database is to blame--I'd probably blame the person who created the queries that access the database. If a database is slow, more often than not, it's because there's a problem with the queries!

I know you are right and you know you are right ..... but the application group can not be told! PLUS this is an IBM application on an IBM operating system using an IBM database ........ LOL

Holly
Geeks rule!
Jan 8, 2009 2:53pm
Thread
As a statistician with a masters in math, I'm feeling pretty good about my job right now :-)

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB123119236117055127.html
Re: Geeks rule!
Reply to: #333993 by Piper Paws
Jan 8, 2009 8:26pm
Thread
I'm feeling pretty good about my job right now :-)

Yeah, and did you see that software engineer comes in 5th, and computer programmer comes in 18th. Which is kind of weird, since I always saw those two terms as being the same, and I've worked with both of those as official job titles. But still, claiming two of the top 20 spots has to be a good thing, right? =)

-- Ryan
San Diego Comic-Con
May 6, 2011 9:04am
So despite my feeling that this is not the appropriate place to post this (as I do not think it falls under the "nerd" definition of this highly scientific - and accurate - chart here: http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2430/3896009598_779b11ceba.jpg and there is no appropriate "Geeks Unite!" board) I nevertheless must ask: anyone around here off to the San Diego Comic Con this year?

Or have I just outed myself and should take immediate steps to have this post removed?

Geekily yours,
Bumble
nerdy boxes!
Mar 1, 2012 8:02am
Thread
There is a new series planted in Paxton, MA based on The Big Bang Theory! Yay, can't wait to get those boxes!
Re: nerdy boxes!
Reply to: #679885 by Epicus Ratticus
Mar 2, 2012 12:05am
Thread
Oooooh!!! Putting that on my list! That's my favorite show. :)

-gollygee
Re: nerdy boxes!
Reply to: #679885 by Epicus Ratticus
Mar 2, 2012 12:28pm
Thread
drats! my family lives to far away....for me to get them to find it.
Dragon Con Parade Opportunity!
Apr 5, 2012 8:52am
Thread
Hello fellow nerdy boxers!

I run the human Periodic Table parade group in the Dragon Con Parade. And we are always looking for more people to be elements. Please message me if you are interested or you can email periodictableparade@gmail.com for more information!

Thanks,

peepstone
Re: Dragon Con Parade Opportunity!
Reply to: #689671 by peepstone
Apr 5, 2012 4:26pm
Thread
Where is Dragon Con?

-gollygee