A Letterboxing Community

Search Edit Search

Read Board: Left Handers Rule!

Re: First to Post
Board: Left Handers Rule!
Reply to: #319285 by speedsquare
Dec 8, 2008 11:18am
Thread
I'm a leftie. Alex is right handed. My biggest difficulty with being left handed is always getting ink and paint smudges when I draw or write. It's a life long problem and I'm open to commiserate with anyone else who suffers from it.

Oddly enough, I play tennis with my right hand. If I remember to do this, at least once during a class I take a look around to see if anyone else it left handed. seems like there's always one. Other than those thoughts I really don't think about. Oh and my sister is left handed to, we were born to right handed parents. kinda weird.

Claudia
Reply to: #320797 by Claudia and Alex
Dec 8, 2008 12:02pm
Thread
My lefty story in a nutshell:

Both of my parents are right-handed.
Of their 5 children, 2 are left-handed.
My husband is right-handed.
Of our 6 children, 1 is left-handed.

I write and eat left-handed. I write and eat well.
I play softball and guitar right-handed. I play both only marginally well. Hmmm...
I play tennis left-handed. I do not play it well at all.

When I write, I do not hook my hand over the paper, so the smudging problem is not as bad.
Perhaps we need to stick to Hebrew!
Did you know: Leonardo da Vinci took all of his notes writing backwards from right to left. No smudging.

Enough lefty thoughts from me for today.
MC
Reply to: #320821 by Mama Cache
Dec 8, 2008 12:52pm
Thread
Here's my lefty tale:

Grandparent - two right-handed, two letfite
Parents - both right-handed
My sisters and me - four girls in the family; I'm the only lefty
My husband is right-handed.
I have a son and a daughter. He's right-handed; she's a leftie.

I, too, always have pencil, ink or whatever on my left hand if I've been writing, etc. My first grade teacher had just graduated from college and was so proud that she knew how to correctly turn the paper for lefties (I was her poster child -- grr!). So, I write "normally," turning the paper in the opposite direction from those more, unfortunate right-handers.

I kick right-footed, Hmm. . . .

On the chalkboard (white board, these days, I guess), I can write equally as well with either hand. I do most things left-handed. I do use a computer mouse right-handed and, if I am learning a new skill that will cause grief to the "teacher" fi I insist on being left-handed, I just learn it right-handed.

I know there are several things that I do right-handed, but can't think of any right now. Oh, well.

BG
Dec 8, 2008 1:26pm
Thread
My story:

Grandparents: three right handed, one left handed who was forced to "convert" to right hand in school. They tied his hand behind his back.

Parents: all right handed
Siblings: all four are right handed
Child: right handed
Nieces and nephews: 11 right handed
Grandson: right handed

My grandfather made my parents promise to allow me to be left handed when he discovered that I favored my left hand at an early age.
I do most things left handed but I do use a mouse with my right hand.
I was taught to write by Catholic nuns who insisted that a backwards slant was not acceptable. To this day, I have very good penmanship and I don't bend my hand like many other left handers. But I must do something weird when I write because I vividly remember many people questioning my method when I was a cashier in the pre-computer days.

I learned to knit at the age of 10 by reading a knitting manual and reversing everything. Learning to crochet was much harder for me but a very patient woman who had crocheted right handed all of her life, took the time to sit there and crochet as a left hander to show me how.
Left Handed Story
Dec 8, 2008 1:33pm
I have to share my favorite left handed story. Many years ago when I was in eighth grade, I spent several weeks with my girlfriend's family at her grandparents' house near Lake Erie. My friend, Rachel, was one of eight children. Her sister, Sarah, was a little older than us and left handed. I remember sitting to dinner each night and a lot of jostling going on as the other children rushed to get seats and not sit next to Sarah. Curiosity got to me about the fourth or fifth day and I asked why no one wanted to sit next to Sarah. By this time, several different children had sat next to me to eat. They told me that no one ever wanted to sit next to Sarah because she was left handed and it would be too hard to eat while bumping elbows with her. I remembered the look of total shock as I held up my fork in my left hand and said, "So am I!" and I moved to sit next to Sarah. Those silly kids were raised to believe that left handers were a problem but they never even noticed that they were sitting next to me with no bumping issues.
Reply to: #320843 by Batty Girl
Dec 8, 2008 1:53pm
Thread
On my dad's side, there were great-grandparents who were left-handed (not sure how many). In each of the families coming from those great-grandparents, there is one great-grandchild who is a lefty, and the others are all right-handed. Kind of neat, although I don't keep in touch with any of them, so I don't know if any of them have left-handed children. Neither of my parents and none of my grandparents are left-handed. I love being left-handed though!

On my mom's side we have several lefties too (but I don't know where it started on that side because no one seems to know any lefty ancestors... maybe it's just that they married in). We used to all eat Christmas dinner around a table, and we'd have to put one of us on each corner. Don't know why we never thought to just line us up on one side!

I do just about everything left-handed (except for using the mouse... I can't imagine using that with my left, actually!), although I seem to have trouble unlocking my door if the key is in my left-hand! I think on the whole though, we are much more ambidextrous than righties. Maybe that's because we're the only ones in our right brains?
Reply to: #320879 by Eiryn
Dec 8, 2008 2:57pm
Thread
I think on the whole though, we are much more ambidextrous than righties. Maybe that's because we're the only ones in our right brains?

Bingo!
Reply to: #320901 by Mama Cache
Dec 9, 2008 7:47am
Thread
I'm the only leftie in my family-but maybe that is because back in the day they made people switch? The only leftie after me to be born is my eldest sisters oldest son. My husband comes from a family of 10-no lefties but his brother has one son/a twin- who is a leftie. I have two boys- both righties-drat! I wanted a leftie to carry on the clumsy gene! (haha.) I do everything as a leftie-except i Putt right. but I'm not a big golfer-i am a golf widow and just play around when my DH goes to the driving range. I wonder, is there a connection between being a leftie and bad at math? No- actually-probably not-as I work in the medical field and I think there is a disporportionate number of MD's who are Lefties...and i think i heard that more geniuses are lefties...sigh, Guess that makes me yet another anomoly...
Dec 23, 2008 11:25am
Thread
I'm a rightie like Ryan, but I can use my left hand for a lot of things.
Dec 23, 2008 11:31am
Thread
I'm totally 100% left handed - can't do a thing right handed.

And on the genealogy thread - no lefty parents or grandparents (might have been a great or great great grand who was lefty, can't remember now), no lefty siblings, one lefty cousin (out of 28), and no lefty kids....... I'm a left handed island to myself.........

And I like it like that!!

My in laws take it personally that I'm lefthanded, and get annoyed when I try to scrooch around the table to accommodate my leftyness. Now I can just sit by one of my kids and bump them - they don't care.

It's a right handed world ;-))

Mama Fox
Baking left handed
Reply to: #327141 by The Little Foxes
Dec 23, 2008 12:39pm
Thread
One wouldn't think it would be a problem, but have you ever noticed that glass measuring cups are geared towards right handed (if you use English measurement, as I do--if I converted to metric, I could read the darn things!! And make more sense) Anyhow, I purchased some measuring cups from pampered chef and love them--the measurements are on the inside, opposite the handle, so no matter which hand you hold them in, you can easily read them!!

Along the genealogy thread, we average one lefty a generation on my side (my uncle, me, my son) and my husbands family tends to marry lefties.

I personally think more people would show left=handed tendencies if our society wasn't so geared towards right-handedness. Watch people interact with infants. Most will tend to place toys, spoons, etc. in the right hand rather than offer it to the center of the body.
Reply to: #320901 by Mama Cache
Jan 23, 2009 7:08pm
Thread
I am one of the Ambidextrous ones...I write leftie but switched in 2nd grade after breaking my rt arm. I can throw with either hand but more power in right. I play golf either side but both sides poorly! I eat lefty only and kick right only.

I think of my self as a lefty and always have to figure out which hand I am going to use when trying something new like any racket sport.I can carve with either hand but use left out of habit more than for any other reason.

I think this group is for me...yes I do! T :)
Left(mostly)
Jan 25, 2009 11:49am
I'm the only lefty in the immediate family.BUT..in the military,they made me shoot right-handed,so I can shoot both ways.My brother kinda taught me guitar,so I play right-handedI even noticed a "left-footedness"when kicking a ball!
knitting as a lefty
Jan 27, 2009 7:36am
Thread
anyone try to do this by teaching themselves? I need a lefty partner to help me learn how to knit!
Re: knitting as a lefty
Reply to: #343312 by scraphappy
Jan 27, 2009 10:50am
Thread
I found learning to knit right handed was not a problem-and I am a strong lefty!

Others have t0old me that the continental method is good for lefties as it uses both hands equally.
Reply to: #343387 by Mama Stork
Jan 27, 2009 1:10pm
Thread
thanks- i'll look for that!
Reply to: #343452 by scraphappy
Jan 27, 2009 1:27pm
Thread
I totally agree with Mama Stork - I'm a very strong lefty, and taught myself to knit out of a book. It's much different from crochet in that both hands are used equally. I also have a friend who's a lefty, and the most proficient knitter I know - and she doesn't do anything "backward" ;-)).

OTOH - my right handed mother and grandmother taught me how to crochet - I looked at what they did, a book on left handed crochet and "figgered it out" myself ;-)) And the big thing - Granny was there to fix and explain my mistakes. Apparently mistakes are the same either left or right handed - lol!

Mama Fox
Reply to: #343460 by The Little Foxes
Jan 27, 2009 2:24pm
Thread
When I first learned to crochet, I sat across from my mom or grandmother (both taught me some) and copied what they did. Since I was sitting on the "wrong" side, it looked left-handed to me - LOL!

BG
Reply to: #343483 by Batty Girl
Jun 22, 2009 7:46pm
Thread
LOL.. Being on the "wrong" side works every time !! I ocassionally use carpenter and mechanic tools; and they too are set up for right handed people ( almost said..set up for righties.. )
uh-uh !!
Reply to: #404992 by Autumnrose
Jun 23, 2009 4:37am
Thread
And did you ever notice how right handed people always act as though we are nuts if we mention that tools are made for right handed use? They can't imagine why we can't adapt.
Using Paring Knives
Jun 23, 2009 7:01pm
Thread
Anyone have problems with paring knives ?
Especially those with the beveled edge on one side ?
Years ago, when my mom was teaching me to cook, she cringed when I proceeded to peel
the veggies !
And.. "Dining Out" ..don't you just love the looks you get from the person sitting to your left as your arm occassionally bumps into theirs ? LOL
Re: Using Paring Knives
Reply to: #405490 by Autumnrose
Jun 23, 2009 9:07pm
Thread
And.. "Dining Out" ..don't you just love the looks you get from the person sitting to your left as your arm occassionally bumps into theirs ? LOL

Yep, all my very right handed in-laws think this is all my fault, that I do it on purpose, and I'm just being a princess when I maneuver around to sit at an appropriate corner or end of the table....... yeah...... because my life is SO DULL that I taught myself to be left handed solely to inconvenience them - LOL!!!!

Mama Fox
Reply to: #405558 by The Little Foxes
Jun 24, 2009 5:45am
Thread
all my very right handed in-laws think this is all my fault, that I do it on purpose, and I'm just being a princess

I am so lucky--I too married into a very right-handed family, but 3/5 married lefties so we can actually sit next to each other at large tables!

Interestingly enough, I think I have the only leftie grand child out of 17!
Reply to: #405558 by The Little Foxes
Jun 25, 2009 9:18am
Thread
Little Foxes has the answer . We are Princes & Princesses trying to quietly & politely
maneuver through the masses. :)
Mar 6, 2010 7:52pm
Thread
My lefty story is: out of 10 children, starting with the oldest to the seventh child, it goes, left, right, left, right, etc. I am number 3. Pretty cool, huh?
Reply to: #496526 by serving HIM
Mar 6, 2010 8:29pm
Thread
Pretty cool, huh?

Definitely cool. ;-)
Another Lefty Here!
Jul 20, 2010 7:52pm
Thread
Hi!

Just toddled across this group! I am another lefty, and proud to be one! I'm the youngest in a family of 6; all the others are right-handed... mom was a righty, dad was a lefty who was made write right-handed in Catholic school. He switched back to left-handed whenever he was out of school, and once he graduated, he stuck with being a lefty.

I married a righty... we have two kids the oldest boy a lefty, the youngest a girl... she's a righty.

I learned to bat right-handed from my brother although I throw a baseball lefty I crochet right-handed from my mom. The only thing I can't do when I crochet is hold the hook in my hand the "correct" way which resembles a pencil hold... that feels too weird in my right hand, so I hold my crochet hook in a fist like a little kid holds a spoon instead... works for me, even though I've been told it looks kinda weird!

I'm another one who holds my pencil correctly (no hook) but I still end up with pen on my hand if I have to write for any length of time... I pinched a nerve in my neck as a little kid because I had a teacher who wouldn't let me tilt my paper the correct way for a lefty... insisted I needed to tilt it like a righty even though it would make me crook my neck funny to keep my writing from back slanting which was apparently a writing "no no". To this day (and I'm approaching oldish) my neck still bothers me when I have to do a lot of close up writing work. It ends up that I have no slant to my writing, it's pretty much straight up and down, which I learned later from another teacher who taught writing correctly to lefties that it is "perfectly acceptable" to have no slant. WooHoo!

Ironically, I used to teach 3rd grade in a Catholic school where I had to teach, you guessed it--Cursive Writing. I got quite good on a white board imitating a correct forward slant for all those righty kids, and a taught my lefties to slant correctly if they wished and accepted no slant like my other teacher friend did for me! But I still don't forward slant in real life!!

I ALWAYS notice who around me is left handed... it's a long ingrained habit, in person and even on TV. And I was secretly (alright, not secretly, I think I shouted from the roof tops) when one of my kids took after me and was left-handed. Not that there is anything wrong with righties, my daughter is one of my favorite people and she's errr, one of "them"! :-)

I know that I've had many people over the years tell me how awkward it looks to be left-handed... personally, I've always watched righties write and do other things right-handed and thought how awkward THEY looked! It's all in your perspective I guess!

Viva la lefties!!

Mom, from MomNGirl
Re: Another Lefty Here!
Reply to: #530302 by MomNGirl
Jul 22, 2010 8:54pm
Thread
The scientist have studied it and figured out that around 16% of the population is Left handed and "They" say it has been consistent over time. Studying ancient tools and cave drawings and what not and the numbers seem to be the same over time......

Most lefties I know are ambidextrous to some degree. You just about have to be because everything is made for being right handed. I bat right handed but can throw with either. I write in print with backward lean and do not cock my wrist. Racket or club sports gave me fits growing up....I never could pick a hand for tennis or ping pong and have switched back and forth in golf several times. I still putt from either side....and stink at it! :)

Both my parents are right handed but my sister and I are mainly lefties. The thing that surprised me was when I figured out the majority of my life long friends are lefties also...much more than 16%.....like 7 0ut of 11 I think it is. Odd is it not? Maybe it is true that lefties are the only ones in our right mind. ;)
Re: Another Lefty Here!
Reply to: #530302 by MomNGirl
Jul 23, 2010 7:09pm
Thread
I ALWAYS notice who around me is left handed... it's a long ingrained habit, in person and even on TV.

Me too! And, I SO prefer to sit by them at dinner. Ah the joy of having a lefty on my left side!

I grew up as the only lefty in my family except for one cousin. I have a bazillion cousins, but there were only two of us, on both my parents side. My oldest daughter is a righty. But, then came my baby -- a lefty! Now, there are 3 of us!

Teachers tried to make me be a righty, but I am pretty hard headed. So, I broke my right arm by jumping off a garage. I don't think I did it intentionally, but certainly subconsciously! now, I am very left bodied. But, also very capable with my right side!

But, I do know that the older I get, I see a higher percentage of lefties. I think because folks are not trying to make us righties anymore!

Viva la lefties! But, more important, long live the ability to be oneself! ;D

BSuzy
Happy Left-handers Day!!!!!!
Aug 13, 2010 6:23pm
August 13th, every year . . . yay us!

Famous Ones:
http://www.indiana.edu/~primate/left.html

Enjoy!
MC